Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did Kryptonite jerk anyone else?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Did Kryptonite jerk anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 06:40 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kryptonite Lock
Hello everyone:

As for your question about the number of claims we have or have paid, that isn't something we discuss, but we do pay legitimate claims.

Team Kryptonite

Well that about says it all!
Old 10-03-05, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I guess that's why the lawyers in Chicago had to sue- with the millions of locks they sold and the paltry year's worth of halfhearted attempts, it's just no wonder they had to get sued.

Koffee

Old 10-04-05, 12:39 AM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone:

carless - we are sorry for your frustration dealing with the system we set in place. Yes, unfortunately, there were some glitches with software programs and some registrations had to be done over. Again, our apologies for all of your frustrations.

Thanks for all of the comments. Now...off to work my way through the pile on my desk!

Team Kryptonite
This sounds like a phone tree, filtered through a PR/legal division. In your next resume' take time to summarize your achievements and perhaps just one empty bullet to symbolize the moral quandary of every spin doc: where does it end and where do I begin?
Possibly, you think gadfly, and tiny forum and nobody reads it anyway. Pre-Google that would be true, but like all new posts this will be cached and live in immortality, a testament to electronic Karma. Your company could have dispensed with bean counter measures and worked with LBS's to far greater benefit, yet you avoided the "We will take care of you" and "Lets make it right for you" to end up with far less $.
You, as a representative of Krypto, have another pile, of people who counted on you, as a symbol of security in a tiny population of bike riders.
Rest assured your paycheck is deposited, you know that you only followed orders.
Old 10-04-05, 05:32 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carless
This sounds like a phone tree, filtered through a PR/legal division. In your next resume' take time to summarize your achievements and perhaps just one empty bullet to symbolize the moral quandary of every spin doc: where does it end and where do I begin?
Possibly, you think gadfly, and tiny forum and nobody reads it anyway. Pre-Google that would be true, but like all new posts this will be cached and live in immortality, a testament to electronic Karma. Your company could have dispensed with bean counter measures and worked with LBS's to far greater benefit, yet you avoided the "We will take care of you" and "Lets make it right for you" to end up with far less $.
You, as a representative of Krypto, have another pile, of people who counted on you, as a symbol of security in a tiny population of bike riders.
Rest assured your paycheck is deposited, you know that you only followed orders.
Why all the hatred? What other company offered lock replacement with free shipping worldwide? The cylinder lock is now an outdated design. Things change. Kryptonite had no legal responsibilty to do anything, what they did do is the right thing. You have some serious issues to deal with.
Old 10-04-05, 10:45 AM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Why all the hatred? What other company offered lock replacement with free shipping worldwide? The cylinder lock is now an outdated design. Things change. Kryptonite had no legal responsibilty to do anything, what they did do is the right thing. You have some serious issues to deal with.
https://news.com.com/Blogs%20and%20so...3-5705376.html
Ingersoll-Rand could have limited the damage to its brand if it had used a service to track its reputation on the Web, says David Sifry, chief executive officer of Technorati, a blog tracking and search company based in San Francisco. Instead, the manufacturer was clueless for days that its Kryptonite locks were under digital assault and had to offer a lock exchange program that it estimated at the time would cost it $10 million.

The company has learned its lesson. "Since the Kryptonite situation, we have established a person in a communications role within the communications department who is responsible for monitoring major blogs out there with respect to Kryptonite," explains a company press official at its Montvale, N.J., headquarters. She adds that the company is also looking to find out more about how to monitor the blogging community.
Are you that person(s)?
Old 10-04-05, 11:28 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ingersoll-Rand could have limited the damage to its brand if it had used a service to track its reputation on the Web, says David Sifry, chief executive officer of Technorati, a blog tracking and search company based in San Francisco. Instead, the manufacturer was clueless for days that its Kryptonite locks were under digital assault and had to offer a lock exchange program that it estimated at the time would cost it $10 million.

The company has learned its lesson. "Since the Kryptonite situation, we have established a person in a communications role within the communications department who is responsible for monitoring major blogs out there with respect to Kryptonite," explains a company press official at its Montvale, N.J., headquarters. She adds that the company is also looking to find out more about how to monitor the blogging community.
Are you that person(s)?
So they learned from their mistakes and rectified the situation. It seems that you are upset because they didn't have a media watcher and big enough PR division. Where is the problem? The fact that it took them some time to figure out what was happening? The fact that they didn't send you a *new* lock just for the asking? I really don't see where your beef is.

Last edited by Cyclist0383; 10-04-05 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-04-05, 11:40 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Are you that person(s)?
If you read the article you posted above it suggests that if Kryptonite had a media and PR team they could have settled the Bic problem through damage control and not have had to spend $10 million replacing locks. Would that have been better? They did the right thing.
Old 10-04-05, 04:52 PM
bvancouv
Beginning to Percolate

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R500, IRO Mark V, 1980's Schwinn Predator BMX, Chrome 1982 Schwinn Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know Kryptonite was nice enough to offer a lock exchange, seeing as how they would have ruined their reputation and imploded had they not, but this 'backorder' issue is awful. I mean it was nice to let me fill out a form and tell me that I would get an RMA in 2 weeks, but it's been a long time, and now Kryptonite is telling me that the EV Disc Lock is on back order. My question to Krypto is: how come I keep seeing them in stores? The new, flat key ones? Is it that Kryptonite is happy to ship out new locks to new customers who pay them, but us suckers who've been loyal Krypto users for years are SOL? I've heard stories of people waiting MONTHS to get their replacement. If the Krypto rep is still following this thread, can you elaborate on what's going on? Your phone reps can only say "back order...no information...back order...no information".
Old 10-04-05, 05:07 PM
crosscut
cellblock 5150

Bikes: 05 Scott CR1 CF Team 05 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for your question about the number of claims we have or have paid, that isn't something we discuss, but we do pay legitimate claims.

Originally Posted by froze
Well that about says it all!

Define Legitimate claims. Why is there a problem giving "your" customers a percentage number of paid vs. unpaid claims.

Might it hurt you?

What are you scard of?

Walks like a duck, sounds like a duck.....must be a.........
Old 10-04-05, 06:05 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Internet forums are designed for "sex, lies, and videotape", rather than for actual facts. The "round key" story was a chance for people who are immune to the truth to peddle fear and rumors. Folks who post actual facts in this forum are subjected to nasty personal attacks. But, here are the plain facts:

- the "round" key used by Kryptonite was used by every other "major" bike lock company in the past. It was also used by companies supplying vending machines, and security devices such as storage boxes for firearms.

- that round key design was used by top level security companies, because in the "real world" it is harder to pick with the types of picks actually used in the "field" by crooks. Every security device has weaknesses, but the "round" key proved superior out in the "real" world, as opposed to the fantasy world that is an internet forum.

- In the "real" world, any campus police officer will tell you, bikes correctly locked with a "round key" Kryptonite U-lock have had a theft rate close to zero. Crooks go after cable locks, light weight chain locks, and "Brand X" U-locks. They have methods that work 100% of the time...they don't waste time on methods that work sometimes, on some locks.

- the number of bikes that were properly locked by a Kryptonite using the "round key" that have been proved to be stolen using a "BIC" pen remains at zero. There has not been ONE single proven case of this technique being used by a crook to steal a bike. For a year, I've asked the fear mongers to produce a single police report or court records that document a proven case of the BIC technique being used to steal a bike. They always respond with another rumor. Rumor mongers are immune to the truth.

- Of the dozens of companies that sold bike locks using the "round" key, only ONE offerered a wide-scale "free" exchange program, and that was Kryptonite.

- "Master Lock", one of the largest bike lock distributers, continues to sell "round" key bike locks through Wal-Mart and other stores of that ilk.

- Both "Master Lock" and "OnGuard" have refused ANY assistance to owners of their "round" key locks.

How well did the Kryptonite exchange program work? I got over ten new locks from the program. I even got replacements for a couple of locks I bought TWENTY years ago. Please name a single company in America that has ever offered free exchanges for a product that was twenty years old, particularly a product that was still working well.

The other bizarre aspect of all of the uproar about "round" key locks. The best selling bike lock models continue to be cable locks and light weight chain locks. Those sorts of locks can be opened by an experienced crook in less than ten seconds. Why whine about the shape of the key and then buy a second-rate or third-rate lock?

A older model Kryptonite New York lock using a "round" key is far more secure in the "real" world than any cable lock made that uses a "flat" key. And, even those few folks who invested in a "premium" quality U-lock often attach it in a manner that allows a crook to take the bike, while leaving behind the well-secured front wheel.

Tests by independent third parties, such as the UK's "Cycling Plus" indicate that the 2005 version of the Kryptonite New York lock is the stongest U-lock that is widely sold in the USA. Someone who buys a lock from a different company because they are "mad" at Kryptonite will be buying a lesser lock.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 10-05-05 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-04-05, 06:24 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=crosscut]Define Legitimate claims. Why is there a problem giving "your" customers a percentage number of paid vs. unpaid claims.

Exactly my point, insurance companies have to report that stuff; so what is Krypto scared of? Because my earlier comment about the hassle to get a claim filed and paid to customer satisfaction is TRUE!!
Old 10-04-05, 06:32 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
- the number of bikes that were properly locked by a Kryptonite using the "round key" that have been proved to be stolen using a "BIC" pen remains at zero. There has not been ONE single proven case of this technique being used by a crook to steal a bike.
This is anecdotal evidence claiming that a bike may have been stolen this way. https://www.dccourier.com/messengers/.../msg01740.html

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Kryptonite KNOWINGLY sold locks that were defective for at least 13 years when the vunlerability was known in 1992. Praise Kryptonite? I don't think so. Especially praising them for being "the only company" that offers an exchange program. So what. Nobody cares anymore because nobody trusts their locks.

A older model Kryptonite New York lock using a "round" key is far more secure in the "real" world than any cable lock made that uses a "flat" key.
Not anymore it isn't. Next incorrect fact please.

Internet forums are designed for "sex, lies, and videotape", rather than for actual facts.
Much like the parent post was.
Old 10-04-05, 07:04 PM
crosscut
cellblock 5150

Bikes: 05 Scott CR1 CF Team 05 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=froze]
Originally Posted by crosscut
Define Legitimate claims. Why is there a problem giving "your" customers a percentage number of paid vs. unpaid claims.

Exactly my point, insurance companies have to report that stuff; so what is Krypto scared of? Because my earlier comment about the hassle to get a claim filed and paid to customer satisfaction is TRUE!!
Probably bec/ they are not proud of the numbers. You can bet your next months pay, that if the ratio was favorable, it would be posted everywhere. Of course, you can choose to believe the number, if they give it, or just realize it was a number they wanted you to hear.

Of course this produces a no win situation for Krypto. So then they would have to produce the actual results and proof. Yeah right. Pipe Dream!

AND BTW.....Screw baseball.....I want to watch HOUSE.
Old 10-04-05, 09:20 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
The fact that they didn't send you a *new* lock just for the asking? I really don't see where your beef is.
Correct, my good man, do you work for Krypronite? If, so, please send me my improved locks.
Old 10-04-05, 10:04 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want free locks. Mine are gone. Luckily I spotted my bike 2 years later and recovered it, but I lost out on Krypto locks. I walked the neighborhood looking in bushes, cans, and dumpsters to find my discarded locks.
Old 10-04-05, 10:06 PM
keejrh
Bikin' Grrl

Bikes: '85 Raleigh Marathon Mixte, '86 Miyata Ninety Mixte, '85 Miyata Sport Ten Mixte, '86 Litespeed Battista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be nice to hear from Team K about the process of exchanging locks. I registered last year (2004)in September- never heard from them. I then followed up in October and November and they told me to be on the lookout for an email with a shipping label. I had been "on the lookout" until September of this year, when I decided to call again. They told me my registration was lost, but they still conveniently had all my personal information in their system. I re-registered the lock, and got an email with the shipping label. I'm still waiting on the new lock. Only a full year to get it sent back, so who knows when I'll get the lock!
Old 10-07-05, 01:31 AM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giggle your butt off figuring this one out. Spotted it today a few blocks from my house.
Old 10-07-05, 03:30 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
But, here are the plain facts:
Here we go again
- that round key design was used by top level security companies, because in the "real world" it is harder to pick with the types of picks actually used in the "field" by crooks. Every security device has weaknesses, but the "round" key proved superior out in the "real" world, as opposed to the fantasy world that is an internet forum.
We've got video evidence. We have the testimony of long standing members MYSELF INCLUDED.
- In the "real" world, any campus police officer will tell you, bikes correctly locked with a "round key" Kryptonite U-lock have had a theft rate close to zero.
I want hard numbers on that. You've never been able to give me documentation on these claims of yours
Crooks go after cable locks, light weight chain locks, and "Brand X" U-locks. They have methods that work 100% of the time...they don't waste time on methods that work sometimes, on some locks.
The BiC pen trick worked on every cylindrical bike lock in my shop regardless of brand. Try again. Yeah pros will go for the "easy" score, but there's always someone targeting your bike
- the number of bikes that were properly locked by a Kryptonite using the "round key" that have been proved to be stolen using a "BIC" pen remains at zero.
According to who's facts?
There has not been ONE single proven case of this technique being used by a crook to steal a bike. For a year, I've asked the fear mongers to produce a single police report or court records that document a proven case of the BIC technique being used to steal a bike.
As if you have access to all the police reports for every jusidiction in the country. For a year I've asked you to produce hard evidence to support YOUR claims. You've failed to do so. The fact remains the lock CAN be opened with a ****ing PEN
They always respond with another rumor. Rumor mongers are immune to the truth.
Takes one to know one
- Of the dozens of companies that sold bike locks using the "round" key, only ONE offerered a wide-scale "free" exchange program, and that was Kryptonite.
They were the only ones who did the right thing by their customers. They weren't obligated to do so, but they did.
- "Master Lock", one of the largest bike lock distributers, continues to sell "round" key bike locks through Wal-Mart and other stores of that ilk.
As if that meant anything. Discount bike shaped objects and discount lock shaped objects are a natural match. If you've got a $70 Roadmaster you don't need a great lockMaster Lock has been in denial since day one.
- Both "Master Lock" and "OnGuard" have refused ANY assistance to owners of their "round" key locks.
Which is an jerkass move by Master Lock considering that they continue to produce the locks in question with their PROVEN vulnerability. Onguard at least has switched to a flat key system
How well did the Kryptonite exchange program work? I got over ten new locks from the program. I even got replacements for a couple of locks I bought TWENTY years ago. Please name a single company in America that has ever offered free exchanges for a product that was twenty years old, particularly a product that was still working well.
Which doesn't explain all the rest of the garbage you posted
A older model Kryptonite New York lock using a "round" key is far more secure in the "real" world than any cable lock made that uses a "flat" key.
You're comparing apples to crankshafts here. You're comparing a lock that is supposed to be "secure" to something known not to be. Cable locks while convienient are weak regardless of key shape while U-locks are supposed to flat out prevent all but the most determined of theives. The fact of the matter is this: If I wanted to I could go downtown and swipe a bike with nothing more than a pen. At least with the cable lock I'd need bolt cutters.
And, even those few folks who invested in a "premium" quality U-lock often attach it in a manner that allows a crook to take the bike, while leaving behind the well-secured front wheel.
Never got that either. Especially when the genius has a qucik release wheel
Someone who buys a lock from a different company because they are "mad" at Kryptonite will be buying a lesser lock.
Finally I can agree with that

Last edited by Raiyn; 10-08-05 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-07-05, 09:27 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
alanbike is just trolling now, he posts the same things everytime even when it's clear that his arguments are full of holes or just false.
Old 10-07-05, 08:18 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing Krypto doesn't know how to contact me. Send a message if you would like to help resolve my issues with your company.
Old 10-08-05, 02:14 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm guessing Krypto doesn't know how to contact me. Send a message if you would like to help resolve my issues with your company.

From the Kryptonite website:
"Kryptonite is no longer taking new registrations for the voluntary lock exchange program. For information about the Kryptonite U-Lock class action settlement go to www.kryptonitesettlement.com "

You could always call them 1-800-SAY-LOCK
Old 10-09-05, 11:39 AM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.....as our options have changed, push 22 for sales.........
I want to be part of team Kryptonite, contact me: when your done with your pile.