Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

February 9, 1964

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

February 9, 1964

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 12:12 PM
Cycle Babble

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
A look at my CD of the Stones' "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" (one of my favorite live albums of all time) reveals that they still don't give Robert Johnson credit for "Love in Vain."

My experience is that among all genres of music: 80% of it is utter crap, 15% is passable, 4% is great and 1% is brilliant. That includes hip-hop, rap, classical, and God help us ... even disco.

I say enjoy the good and ignore the bad.
So true....even to this day I did not like having to purchase an album so I could listen to the one only good song on it. But there have been other albums I purchased and ended up enjoying the 'B' side more than the 'A' side.

Go figure.
Old 02-13-14, 03:08 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Liked 373 Times in 258 Posts
To me the 'A' & 'B' sides were on 45s. Singles, not albums. You are over 50, right???
Old 02-13-14, 04:06 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
A look at my CD of the Stones' "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" (one of my favorite live albums of all time) reveals that they still don't give Robert Johnson credit for "Love in Vain."
Could be an improvised song whose original author is actually unknown. Sometimes old Huddie Ledbetter songs are labeled "traditional" on covered versions. Not sure if royalties were honored for those or not.

Another example is Barrett Strong's "Money" which the Beatles covered exactly like Barrett's. Well John Lee Hooker claims he wrote the song and has a slower gritty version of it in his style. But he doesn't get the royalties for it. Barrett does.

Last edited by Zinger; 02-13-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 10:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,650 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Could be an improvised song whose original author is actually unknown. Sometimes old Huddie Ledbetter songs are labeled "traditional" on covered versions. Not sure if royalties were honored for those or not.

Another example is Barrett Strong's "Money" which the Beatles covered exactly like Barrett's. Well John Lee Hooker claims he wrote the song and has a slower gritty version of it in his style. But he doesn't get the royalties for it. Barrett does.
A lot of interesting info on the subject of music and lyric credit in Keith Richard's memoir, "Life." Especially interesting is the credit for the music of many of the Chuck Berry songs that Chuck took full credit.
Old 02-14-14, 03:08 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
A lot of interesting info on the subject of music and lyric credit in Keith Richard's memoir, "Life." Especially interesting is the credit for the music of many of the Chuck Berry songs that Chuck took full credit.
Maybellene was actually an improvised and reworded old fiddle tune that Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys made popular originally named "Ida Red". Muddy Waters is who introduced Berry to Chess records and loaned him his improvisation of the song which he had renamed "Ida May".

Speaking of Bob Wills, his lyrics to the Texas Playboys theme song was shared with a 1930 Big Bill Broonzy song named "Eagle Ridin' Papa". Since Wills started that second band up in 1934 I suspect that he probably plagiarized this one from the black artist.

Last edited by Zinger; 02-14-14 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-15-14, 10:14 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,226 Times in 620 Posts
Maybellene was actually an improvised and reworded old fiddle tune that Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys made popular originally named "Ida Red". Muddy Waters is who introduced Berry to Chess records and loaned him his improvisation of the song which he had renamed "Ida May".

Speaking of Bob Wills, his lyrics to the Texas Playboys theme song was shared with a 1930 Big Bill Broonzy song named "Eagle Ridin' Papa". Since Wills started that second band up in 1934 I suspect that he probably plagiarized this one from the black artist.
Interesting.

Ida Red has a similar style, but my ear doesn't think them all that similar to Maybellene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFef08YZ6qk

Hear even less of a connection of either song with Eagle Ridin Papa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjM0LluEOHY

Isn't the Internet wonderful?

I very much admire Chuck Berry ... IMHO, he is the true king of Rock and Roll. Gotta get to St. Louis to see one of his shows before it's too late.

Old 02-15-14, 10:30 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Interesting.

Ida Red has a similar style, but my ear doesn't think them all that similar to Maybellene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFef08YZ6qk
Yeah I was wondering that myself. Since Bob's version was a cover itself I'm guessing they improvised some other version. At any rate everything was changed so much it's probably valid that either Muddy or Chuck claimed it as theirs.

Hear even less of a connection of either song with Eagle Ridin Papa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjM0LluEOHY

Isn't the Internet wonderful?
Yes 'tis but you misunderstood. That was the Texas Playboys Theme song that plagiarized Broonzy's lyrics and that's only one version of the song (others covered the rest of the lyrics). Wills actually used the lyrics from Broonzy's song in several of his own.

I very much admire Chuck Berry ... IMHO, he is the true king of Rock and Roll. Gotta get to St. Louis to see one of his shows before it's too late.
You'd better. I got to see Hendrix just before his end.

Last edited by Zinger; 02-16-14 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-15-14, 10:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

You'd better. I got to see Hendrix just before his end.
Nothing like seeing the greats live and in person.
Saw James Brown and Buddy Guy in 67; Jimi Hendrix in 69; Bobby Bland and Bo Diddley in clubs in the early 70's.
Saw John Mayall in 69 or 70 but he had already gone soft with too much California mellow sound, no longer the great bluesman that he was just a few years earlier.
Old 02-15-14, 10:46 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks for the Bob Wills links. Too much fun!!!!

My only calim to music cool is that I saw Janis Joplin.
Maybe a few points for CSN&Y, and van Morrison at a community college. And the Kinks at a local high school.
Old 02-15-14, 10:58 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by cccorlew
Thanks for the Bob Wills links. Too much fun!!!!
Sure thang man. Here's some more I had posted over in the Foo forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNP4M85oxIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IXmPZSM07o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S99Fokasa2Y

I actually had Ida Red posted there too and another that was pulled for copyright violations.

BTW
I had a girlfriend who was a huge John Lennon fan and read an interview by him once where he said he binged on Bob Wills tunes a lot.

Last edited by Zinger; 02-16-14 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-15-14, 11:05 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Saw James Brown and Buddy Guy in 67; Jimi Hendrix in 69; Bobby Bland and Bo Diddley in clubs in the early 70's.
Saw John Mayall in 69 or 70 but he had already gone soft with too much California mellow sound, no longer the great bluesman that he was just a few years earlier.
Oh man you got to see Bobby Bland !

I sure liked Johnny Guitar Watson's Bluesy stuff from the early '50s.....Not so much the later Soul stuff he did.
Old 02-16-14, 12:12 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,226 Times in 620 Posts
I loves me some Buddy Guy.

The one I saw just in time was Stevie Ray. OMG.

Old 02-16-14, 12:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Actually saw two shows, one in 67, and one in 68 just before I was drafted into the Army. He seemed a cross between BB King and Jimi Hendrix. He even played the guitar (well!) with his teeth and behind his head.
Old 02-16-14, 12:28 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

The one I saw just in time was Stevie Ray. OMG.
I foolishly missed seeing him early on while I lived in Dallas as he played there some. I had a date to his concert in San Diego much later and he cancelled. The date was great but we missed SRV.
Old 02-22-14, 09:59 AM
2nd Mule

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Escape, much modified Citizen folder, Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed the Sullivan show due to being stationed in Korea at the time, returning to US soil in May of 64. But thanks to reruns I finally did see it... Has it really been 50 years. Time to go out for a cold ride and reflect on that.
Old 02-22-14, 04:23 PM
lakhotason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw the Beatles twice in concert on the same day. Tickets were $5.50 each. Still have the ticket stubs.
Old 02-25-14, 12:37 AM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 20_700c
I remember that show and the "noise" coming out the TV. I've never appreciated the Beatles - at all. It was a few minutes of my life I will never get back again. I still change the station or press MUTE every time I hear any of their songs (or McCartney's follow-up band whose name I forget right now) being played.

Not trying to start a fight or anything, they just never appealed to me as a group or as solo "artists".
i had the same impression of Homer Simpson when he first came out. It is only now that I am beginning to see the finesse in that show.