Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking to bike Cross country or at least around surrounding cities.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 10:34 PM
xDUMBOx

Bikes: 86 cannondale sr 1000 93 giant cfr3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have my one person tent, I have my first aid kit, I have my camel backpack, I have snacks and spare tires and tubes.
I bike about an average of 50 miles a day sometimes less sometimes more.
I think I have what it takes, but then again this is a lot harder and more demanding than I can imagine.
I was wondering what else other than I have do I need to try this?
Any important details I need to work out or need for this trip?
I am mostly doing it for a life changing experience to prove to myself I can be something more than just an average cyclist around my small town.
Please add whatever it is you think should be added to the list or least just give me commentary on how I should do it.
Give me inspiration or just virtually anything you can think of.

I am wanting to do this, this summer.
So I have a few months to get more prepared.

I am also riding a jamis beatnik.
I was thinking of selling and buying a road bike, but I love my bike and its treated me good.

Thank you, and hope to hear from you all soon.
Old 03-07-14, 04:51 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Moving to Touring
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-07-14, 08:46 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 436 Posts
Cycle touring can be whatever you want to make of it--a luxurious spa-to-spa vacation, an adventurous get-away, a coming-of-age trip, whatever. There are many levels of risk. Many of us made our first trips with very little preparation or experience, learning as we went, making lots of mistakes, and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. There's no way to tell what you need, but it sounds like you have the right mindset and basic gear to get out there. If you don't know how to fix your bike when it breaks, you'll either learn or you'll have an adventure and might even make a new friend. If you don't have the camping gear to weather a particularly nasty storm, same thing. You might spend an uncomfortable night, but it'll be a story for the rest of your life. That's what keeps me going. Sometimes caution is called for, but often you just need to get out there and try something.

And there's no reason your second tour has to look like your first tour. You can change bikes, gear, style, as your desire and budget allow.
Old 03-08-14, 01:27 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Moving to Touring
I'm trying.
Old 03-08-14, 01:30 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Cycle touring can be whatever you want to make of it--a luxurious spa-to-spa vacation, an adventurous get-away, a coming-of-age trip, whatever. There are many levels of risk. Many of us made our first trips with very little preparation or experience, learning as we went, making lots of mistakes, and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. There's no way to tell what you need, but it sounds like you have the right mindset and basic gear to get out there. If you don't know how to fix your bike when it breaks, you'll either learn or you'll have an adventure and might even make a new friend. If you don't have the camping gear to weather a particularly nasty storm, same thing. You might spend an uncomfortable night, but it'll be a story for the rest of your life. That's what keeps me going. Sometimes caution is called for, but often you just need to get out there and try something.

And there's no reason your second tour has to look like your first tour. You can change bikes, gear, style, as your desire and budget allow.
Wow, Thank you for this.
I was hoping I would get a comment like this.
I really wanted to get this because I felt like this is how I wanted to do it, I'll learn on the way.
I know I can do it and I know i'll Gain knowledge as I go forcefully or gracefully learning how to do things.
Thank you so much for this.
I was wondering what touring have you done?
I would love to hear your story(s).
Old 03-08-14, 01:34 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving to Touring
Oh wow I'm sorry I didn't see the touring page.
Thank you.
Old 03-08-14, 07:48 PM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loved AndrewClaus´ response because he´s absolutely right. It took me 3 tries to get a tour under my belt. While I DO wish things had gone differently the first 2 times, each one taught me a lot.

Some things that I learned: 1) It doesn´t matter how much you prepare for a first tour, you´ll never be able to anticipate everything. Relax. 2) If you think you might need it, bring it. You can always send it home. 3) Do NOT scrimp on your bike. You don´t have to spend thousands of dollars, but don´t try to cut corners or accept something that isn´t comfortable. When folks say that fit is everything, they´re not kidding. Your buns (and the rest) will thank you. 4) You will be absolutely amazed at the kindness of strangers. 5) The minute you complete a tour, you´re already planning the next one!

Speaking of #5 ....lol! Good luck and don´t overthink it.
Old 03-08-14, 08:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Take weekend shake downs .. out, overnight somewhere, and Back .
Old 03-08-14, 08:15 PM
jhawk

Bikes: Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am conducting my first bicycle tour this Summer, around the Canadian Province of New Brunswick.

And then, I'll be cycling across Canada in 2015!

These trips are my coming-of-age trips, that AndrewClaus mentioned. I'm a young guy, with no real idea of what it is that I want to do with my life, and so, I am heading out on the open road, I'm travelling and discovering myself.

I have decided to combine two things that I love: cycling, and writing! I've created my own website, dedicated to my cycling and freelance travel writing. I've been inspired by people like Alastair Humphreys', Tom Allen, and other round-the-world cyclists'.

I wish you the best of luck on your bicycle tours of now, and the future. Just enjoy them!
Old 03-08-14, 08:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Moving to Touring
Originally Posted by xDUMBOx
I'm trying.
Best response to a Mod.
Old 03-08-14, 09:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
Wow, Thank you for this.
I was hoping I would get a comment like this.
I really wanted to get this because I felt like this is how I wanted to do it, I'll learn on the way.
I know I can do it and I know i'll Gain knowledge as I go forcefully or gracefully learning how to do things.
Thank you so much for this.
I was wondering what touring have you done?
I would love to hear your story(s).
Here you go: crazyguyonabike.com
You can browse by location, and find all the tour reports that passed through that area.
For example:
Southbound on the Underground Railroad Route
Discovering The Heart of America - Through The Eyes of One Curious Canadian
Old 03-08-14, 09:32 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dengidog
. 4) You will be absolutely amazed at the kindness of strangers.
Probably one of the best aspects of touring. That and just meeting people in general. Maybe it is to ask directions or just say hello. More than likely you would not be meeting those people in a car. Most of these people I will never remember their names but I certainly remember interacting with them. It has been fun, interesting and sometimes even hilarious. I can't recall a negative experience except maybe being chased out of a restaurant by the owner, in Como because I did not have exact change to pay my bill (Italians get really weird with change). But when I look back now I just laugh. It was one of those moments of hilarity that comes with touring.
Old 03-08-14, 11:39 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dengidog
I loved AndrewClaus´ response because he´s absolutely right. It took me 3 tries to get a tour under my belt. While I DO wish things had gone differently the first 2 times, each one taught me a lot.

Some things that I learned: 1) It doesn´t matter how much you prepare for a first tour, you´ll never be able to anticipate everything. Relax. 2) If you think you might need it, bring it. You can always send it home. 3) Do NOT scrimp on your bike. You don´t have to spend thousands of dollars, but don´t try to cut corners or accept something that isn´t comfortable. When folks say that fit is everything, they´re not kidding. Your buns (and the rest) will thank you. 4) You will be absolutely amazed at the kindness of strangers. 5) The minute you complete a tour, you´re already planning the next one!

Speaking of #5 ....lol! Good luck and don´t overthink it.
I truly appreciate this, I don't have a lot of money but the money I do have I am planning on buying nice seats and bars.
Any recommendations on seats?
I cannot wait to experience all of this for myself.
I can imagine there are so many nice people in the world and I will meet many of them.
Old 03-08-14, 11:39 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Take weekend shake downs .. out, overnight somewhere, and Back .
I was actually going to do this for the coming months preparing.
Take a 100+ mile trip and camp out then ride back in the morning to prepare.
Old 03-08-14, 11:41 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhawk
I too am conducting my first bicycle tour this Summer, around the Canadian Province of New Brunswick.

And then, I'll be cycling across Canada in 2015!

These trips are my coming-of-age trips, that AndrewClaus mentioned. I'm a young guy, with no real idea of what it is that I want to do with my life, and so, I am heading out on the open road, I'm travelling and discovering myself.

I have decided to combine two things that I love: cycling, and writing! I've created my own website, dedicated to my cycling and freelance travel writing. I've been inspired by people like Alastair Humphreys', Tom Allen, and other round-the-world cyclists'.

I wish you the best of luck on your bicycle tours of now, and the future. Just enjoy them!
Awesome brother, I wish you the best of luck and all the safety for you on yours.
Could I possibly have your site so I could read some stuff you have on there?
Also I am 25 never really done anything adventurous in my life, But have gotten so bored with my life that I wanted to push myself and see the country and adventure out.
Old 03-08-14, 11:42 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Here you go: crazyguyonabike.com
You can browse by location, and find all the tour reports that passed through that area.
For example:
Southbound on the Underground Railroad Route
Discovering The Heart of America - Through The Eyes of One Curious Canadian
Thank you so much, definitely looking them up now.
Old 03-08-14, 11:43 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Probably one of the best aspects of touring. That and just meeting people in general. Maybe it is to ask directions or just say hello. More than likely you would not be meeting those people in a car. Most of these people I will never remember their names but I certainly remember interacting with them. It has been fun, interesting and sometimes even hilarious. I can't recall a negative experience except maybe being chased out of a restaurant by the owner, in Como because I did not have exact change to pay my bill (Italians get really weird with change). But when I look back now I just laugh. It was one of those moments of hilarity that comes with touring.
I'm not planning on going anywhere near italy. But one day I hope to see the world.
If this goes well for me I will definitely be planning a world trip.
Old 03-08-14, 11:45 PM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Best response to a Mod.
I had no idea what he meant so i just wrote I'm trying.
Old 03-09-14, 01:09 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I had no idea what he meant so i just wrote I'm trying.
I know, that is what made it such a good response and worth a little chuckle.
Old 03-09-14, 01:15 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Any recommendations on seats?
Many touring cyclist prefer Brooks saddles, but saddles are an item of special taste and other cyclist hate them.

If you choose a Brooks, some Brooks saddles take time to break in, so ride the saddle many miles before taking it on tour.

A search of 'brooks' in the forums here may give you more information.
Old 03-09-14, 07:02 AM
jhawk

Bikes: Triumph Mountain Bike, Villiger Cabgona Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome brother, I wish you the best of luck and all the safety for you on yours.
Could I possibly have your site so I could read some stuff you have on there?
Also I am 25 never really done anything adventurous in my life, But have gotten so bored with my life that I wanted to push myself and see the country and adventure out.
Sure thing: https://jackonabike.ca/

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-09-14, 08:16 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I did my first 'tour' - meaning a longer than a weekend excursion - back when I was in my early 20s and just laid off from my job. I was also used to riding 40-50 miles/day, and had gone on a number of organized century (100-mile) rides. I had nothing to lose, so I set off to visit family in Wisconsin - and I'm in the Cleveland OH area. 1000 mile round trip.

I set off with a spare change of clothes, some plastic garbage bags, a canvas duffle bag, $100 and my tool kit. No tent. No sleeping bag. I did what is known as 'stealth camping' by sleeping under bridges, in culverts and under trees alongside the road. I made it to Madison in just six days, averaging 85 miles/day. It was riding into the prevailing wind that knocked the heck out of me, not the saddle time. I ate at local diners, mom&pop greasy spoons and even McDonalds when you could get a good meal for $2. I even stripped down to my skivvies and did laundry at a laundromat somewhere in Indiana...

Back then my bike was just a regular old 'ten-speed' - My '75 Fuji that I still have today, although it has been upgraded several times through the years...

That trip is something I'll always remember. The kindness of strangers when I'd ask to fill my water bottle. The incredulous look on the face of the woman at a roadside vegetable stand where I stopped to buy something to munch on when I told her that I had already ridden 75 miles that day... Now that I'm semi-retired, I'm planning another three-week 1000-mile tour.
Old 03-09-14, 09:02 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I'm not planning on going anywhere near italy. But one day I hope to see the world.
If this goes well for me I will definitely be planning a world trip.
You don't have to go out of the country to have unusual experiences on tour. I have had a number right here int he US. Though I must admit my tours of Italy had to be at the top of the list. For one Italians love to argue. I still laugh at the old couple screaming at one another just because we asked a simple question as to the location of a bike path. Apparently they did not agree.
Old 03-14-14, 12:04 AM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb hi
i know, that is what made it such a good response and worth a little chuckle.
:d
Old 03-14-14, 12:05 AM
xDUMBOx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Many touring cyclist prefer Brooks saddles, but saddles are an item of special taste and other cyclist hate them.

If you choose a Brooks, some Brooks saddles take time to break in, so ride the saddle many miles before taking it on tour.

A search of 'brooks' in the forums here may give you more information.
I've seen and always hear nothing but good things about brooks.
But have never ridden one.
I may get one and if its something I am not into I may just resell or have it as a back up.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.