Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie Masi Coltello on craigslist

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 07:03 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new fixie. I currently have a crappy steel frame and i want a second option for a bike. What do you think of the price of this bike and the parts? I don't know much about bikes so I want to know if this is a good setup or if the parts and bike are crap. Thanks in advance for the opinions. Also, I'd probably try to buy it for about $500.

Fixie Masi Coltello 58cm
Old 03-17-14, 08:33 PM
GromCake

Bikes: 2013 Bianchi Super Pista // 2013 Cinelli Experience // Kilo TT // '84 Trek 500 Series Porteur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The parts are so-so, but being that the frame alone is around $700 brand new, it seems like a fair price, especially at $500. My friend Brandon just got a Coltello and says he loves it, it's a pretty nice frame.
Old 03-17-14, 10:18 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
In the words of Scrod: I wish there was an entire thread devoted to Craiglist finds...
Old 03-17-14, 11:26 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
In the words of Scrod: I wish there was an entire thread devoted to Craiglist finds...
I don't know Scrod but I sense sarcasm. Sorry, I was going to post on the craigslist thread but I figured this was okay cause I would maybe have more questions. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how everything works and what is annoying and so on.
Old 03-18-14, 03:49 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
I don't know Scrod but I sense sarcasm. Sorry, I was going to post on the craigslist thread but I figured this was okay cause I would maybe have more questions. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how everything works and what is annoying and so on.
You got zinged mate, it's not a problem, he meant it with love ... bit like a hungry man-eating tiger but still love

You say you don't know much about bikes. This suggests to me you haven't done much riding or at least, aren't strong and fit (from a riding point of view). That bike you've linked to has a rather extreme riding position and you not only need to be fairly dedicated to ride it, you definitely need to be very fit and flexible to ride it. It's set up for track racing, not for road cycling. That may not be an issue for you, but it's a question I'd be asking myself.
Old 03-18-14, 10:51 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Yes it was humor but yes there's is a thread dedicated to CL finds. I think that bike would be a decent deal for $500 as long as it fits you
Old 03-18-14, 11:02 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have a 59cm frame. 58 might still be a fit. And I have been riding for 2 years on my single speed. I bought it for school because I live close enough to not have to drive. And on weekends i love riding around town. I'm pretty fit and a decent rider. I would however probably lower the seat a little and change out the bars for bull horns, which I've grown very used to when riding streets.

And I honestly love the way track frames look. I love the leaders and bianchi super pistas. I was looking for a new bike and preferably one that was lighter than my current bike. However I think I've been reading that track frames are not good for the streets? Then why do a bunch of people ride leaders or super pistas and so on?
Old 03-18-14, 12:38 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I currently have a 59cm frame. 58 might still be a fit. And I have been riding for 2 years on my single speed. I bought it for school because I live close enough to not have to drive. And on weekends i love riding around town. I'm pretty fit and a decent rider. I would however probably lower the seat a little and change out the bars for bull horns, which I've grown very used to when riding streets.

And I honestly love the way track frames look. I love the leaders and bianchi super pistas. I was looking for a new bike and preferably one that was lighter than my current bike. However I think I've been reading that track frames are not good for the streets? Then why do a bunch of people ride leaders or super pistas and so on?
I owned a Dolan Pre Cursa for a while. Alum track frame with carbon fork. I found it to be uncomfortable for my daily commute even with 28cm tires. I went back to a steel frame fixed gear. But I also have a alum/carbon road bike which I obviously ride on the road with 23 cm tires and it's perfectly comfortable. I think it depends on the particular bike and geometry and stiffness etc. I think Leaders are designed mainly to ride on the road not as a true track bike
Old 03-18-14, 12:52 PM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You'll be required to take a Velodrome class if you buy that thing seriously though, riding that bike on the street is not NEARLY as much fun as taking it to the track in balboa.

True track bikes are not great for the street for a few reasons 1) toe overlap, 2) head/fork angles make the bikes more twitchy and often times 3) they are not meant to ride in comfort they are built to be stiff, which means the ride will be HELLA jaring. That being said, lots of people ride SSFG's that are setup more like road bikes. 90% of the cheap Alu frames are little more than road bike Geo's with track dropouts, which fixes all three of those problems.
Old 03-18-14, 01:26 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I just need to get over the aesthetics of the track bikes. I might just need a new steel single speed. My bike weighs 24 pounds when I take off my u-lock and bottle. Its a purefix bike which I assume is beginner. I think I'm just getting sick of it and looking for something new.
Old 03-19-14, 12:53 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe I just need to get over the aesthetics of the track bikes. I might just need a new steel single speed. My bike weighs 24 pounds when I take off my u-lock and bottle. Its a purefix bike which I assume is beginner. I think I'm just getting sick of it and looking for something new.
Ahhh, new bike desire syndrome. No cure, usually means you're not riding enough though not always. I've got an old bike that keeps getting rebuilt into something different whenever this disease strikes - she's worn more outfits than your average super model.