Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My finished VO tourer. just a brief glance

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 05:56 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Just finished my build up. Base frameset is a VeloOrange Campeur, 59cm
crankset VO Grand Cru fluted triple. 24-34-48
Sun XCD front and rear derailleurs
Grand Cru RAID front and rear wheel
10 speed cassette set up
Nitto Rando bars B-135
Avid shorty front and rear brakes. Tektro levers.
ENE bar end shifters
Soma C-line 700x38c
I used an UNO adjustable stem that i favor. It allows me to adjust as needed. I want comfort.
I used a Truvtiv post
Altair saddle...i have found these to be very comfortable, so i decided to stick with what works best.
I will get some better close up photos once the weather is better. It's 40s and rainy...hard to take motivated pics in this weather right now. Hopefully i will have my bags and other gear suited up for the next pic.

Old 04-29-14, 07:20 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I find that stem angle a little scary doing fast corners. That's a personal choice of course.
Old 04-29-14, 07:58 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
pamaguahiker, Looks nice in the teaser photo. Because there is little bandwidth about this frame set you may wish to go into a bit more detail, along with more photos.

Brad
Old 04-30-14, 05:19 AM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Yea, i plan on adding some more pics, better quality ones also. I need some sunlight here and some rain to stop. Either way. i will update with better photos. I also plan on dropping the stem quite a bit actually.

Last edited by pamaguahiker; 04-30-14 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 05:50 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nice job!
Old 04-30-14, 02:07 PM
pamaguahiker 

Thank you Tarwheel, I got a few more pictures today. Of course, it is raining in PA again. I snapped the photos outside our shop. The handlebar tape area is a bit rough yet because i have various accessories to put on. I need to test ride a good ride on a clear, non-rainy day to find out where i want everything mounted.

Old 04-30-14, 04:08 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I really like the top tube decal. Sort of a pictogram in case you forget what you got the bike for! Actually I love this sort of bike, they look so purposeful. While as a slave to fashion I am a fan of a traditional stem, I have used the adjustable and found it very useful.

I have been an admirer of VO bikes and parts for a bit now, will possibly be getting their rando bar for my new frame.
Old 04-30-14, 06:19 PM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
pamaguahiker, Looks to be a very nice build, congrats. Good luck for some better weather soon.

Brad
Old 04-30-14, 07:24 PM
egear

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great build. Nice looking with the silver frame. Have you put many miles on it yet? The reason I ask is i am giving those rims serious consideration. My concern is how well they stop since they are a polished alum. I am lucky enough to live near the VO offices and think I may stop by and take a look at them. Looks nice man really.
Old 04-30-14, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,813 Posts
It is real nice minus the racks and fenders. The VO hammered fenders would have been great as would the Rando front rack. They also have an stainless rear touring rack that also looks quite spiffy but has a lot more practicality than your current racks especially for touring. VO really does make some classy and classic looking bikes and parts. I have been kind of dreaming about making a vintage tourer with some of their stuff if I ever win the lottery or get a ton of money for some reason.
Old 04-30-14, 08:44 PM
pamaguahiker 

Thanks guys, I haven't gotten to ride it a great deal at all. But i had a go at those rims awhile ago and they worked very well, including when wet. So i didn't hesitate to go with them. The simplicity and the quick access to break them down for maintenance or if needed roadside repair is another nice factor. I had the fenders and racks already. I had spent enough on the frameset and most of the components that i dared not test my wife's moment of gratuity in allowing me to purchase what i needed to complete the project. The rack system on the bike will work well for starters and i can add to it, some nice fenders, and of course the racks later after some use (and savings). I can say that i have tweaked those fenders and racks to work very well with the set up and i don't have any hesitations about using them. But when i do get newer racks, I will be placing that front one on my Bianchi Cross bike so i can run a nice front bag on it too.
I have bags already but I have been currently offering some business for business bartering for some various places that make bags. I have been offering to make an equal number of embroidered patch products for merchandise. Still waiting to hear back from a few places. I figure i have a skill and materials that i can trade for something that i will actually need, enjoy, and use.
One area i really didn't research too well, and when i was setting up the bike...i started twisting in my head about how could i do better with the bar end cable routing. I had done some quick look and spoke with a long distance tourer that i know. He told me to 'run the cables short" so they go to the downtube rather quickly and not much overlap for when you put a front bag on. He said he always ran his short and the side effect was due to being short, the cables wouldn't allow 'wheel flop when riding as easily or when at rest. This seemed very strange to me. He's old and experienced so i was respectful. I went generous for now until i do some further research. I believe if you have a bike that has the correct trail, etc, that it will eliminate the need for what i thought were a bit drastic, overkill advice/precautions.

Any advice for running cables? I should mention that this is set up entirely as friction using the ENE bar end shifters. It shifts very nicely, and smoothly.
Old 04-30-14, 09:03 PM
pamaguahiker 

Also, i wanted to mention that i had been lurking for a long time on the 'show me your loaded rigs' and getting ideas. One thing i noticed and something i want to follow through on is maybe shedding the idea of the front bag for lower riding front pannier system. Maybe scale down the front bag and eliminate any cable worries. Then again, i ran my Bianchi for 3 years with the same type of set up for bar ends and it never yakked day at me, so maybe i am just stressing over nothing.
Old 05-01-14, 12:06 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
One mistake I try not to make is to cut the cables to be ideal at my most comfortable riding position, when I have an adjustable stem or long quill that can be run up. Have a back spasm(the only reason I like an adjustable stem), try to raise the bar height, and realize that you cant cause there is not enough cable housing to turn the bar.

This may be a rooky mistake I made as a rookie, but its a lesson I learned the hard way.

Friction with a ten speed, that's pretty good.
Old 05-01-14, 02:04 AM
bradtx

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
pamaguahiker, I almost put a small rack like yours on the front of my bar end shifted touring bike, but decided against it because I ran my cables the same as you and the bags I saw of any size to be of use would've interfered with the cables. I could reroute the cables further along the handlebar to exit at the top, but that would require longer housing and cable plus a re-wrap of the tape. A handlebar hung bag is a better option for my needs.

I trim my cables so that the full left to right travel of the handlebar isn't restricted. I do so primarily because in an accident the handlebar maybe slammed violently to one side, possibly causing extra damage due to a too short housing. I'm not really looking forward to testing that idea, however.

Brad
Old 05-01-14, 06:04 AM
pamaguahiker 

Thanks guys! I am happy that i chose to leave them longish so that they don't limit me if I have to raise or lower the stem. Although i have it up there already quite a bit. I recently ran into this problem on my Bianchi Alloro. I went to a new adjustable stem on it and had run out of cable to raise it. I have to put a splicer in to get it to work right. Maybe by the time i get bags on this and my cockpit set up, you won't be able to see that adjustable stem. lol
Old 05-03-14, 07:31 PM
pamaguahiker 

Just a brief update: I went for a maiden voyage today and I have to say that i am very, very pleased. The stem raised up didn't hinder or interfere with any performance. The bike rides like a dream. The tires are so very supple and just float! The Soma C-lines are excellent! I geared up with a front bag and a trunk bag. Loaded up with some weight as well. 3 full water bottles with the one under the downtube as well. Handles like a dream. Easy cruising, easy to let your hands off the bars and hoods, no flop or unsteady feeling. I love the balance! It climbed so very nice as well. I was only able to go about 20 miles but it was stereotypical Pennsylvania terrain of short steep uphills, short steep descents, rolling terrain, and i also hit a portion of a rail to trail that is unpaved, soft, and mushy mix of dirt, sand, and crushed pave. Overall...i gave it a real mix up for a short ride. I loved it!

Changes: Now that i am content with the bar set up. I am going to finish up the cockpit. Get the rest of the top wrapped and comfy. position my gadgets. I believe i will add a light down low using lower fork rack mount. I am going to get some VO fenders when money allows. I might even go with a kickstand (something I never would have considered). I am also going to put some front low rider rack system on it. Any recommendations? please share thoughts with me regarding what would work best? I believe maybe a front rack system that incorporates low rider, front bag support, and maybe a braze on point for mounting a light.

Those are some first impressions for upgrades or changes.
Old 05-03-14, 08:18 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Beautiful bike. A friend of mine just got a different VO touring bike. They really do build nice quality stuff. Be sure to post some pictures of it when it's all sorted out, and when it's all loaded up.
Old 05-04-14, 12:50 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pamaguahiker
Just a brief update: I went for a maiden voyage today and I have to say that i am very, very pleased. The stem raised up didn't hinder or interfere with any performance. The bike rides like a dream. The tires are so very supple and just float! The Soma C-lines are excellent! I geared up with a front bag and a trunk bag. Loaded up with some weight as well. 3 full water bottles with the one under the downtube as well. Handles like a dream. Easy cruising, easy to let your hands off the bars and hoods, no flop or unsteady feeling. I love the balance! It climbed so very nice as well. I was only able to go about 20 miles but it was stereotypical Pennsylvania terrain of short steep uphills, short steep descents, rolling terrain, and i also hit a portion of a rail to trail that is unpaved, soft, and mushy mix of dirt, sand, and crushed pave. Overall...i gave it a real mix up for a short ride. I loved it!

Changes: Now that i am content with the bar set up. I am going to finish up the cockpit. Get the rest of the top wrapped and comfy. position my gadgets. I believe i will add a light down low using lower fork rack mount. I am going to get some VO fenders when money allows. I might even go with a kickstand (something I never would have considered). I am also going to put some front low rider rack system on it. Any recommendations? please share thoughts with me regarding what would work best? I believe maybe a front rack system that incorporates low rider, front bag support, and maybe a braze on point for mounting a light.

I like the Pletscher/ESGE twin legged kickstand. A big help when loading or unloading cargo!

What's that little pouch on your stem?
Old 05-04-14, 06:19 AM
pamaguahiker 

Thanks for the suggestion. That little pouch was a anniversary present from my wife. It is a Brooks Challenge bag. Leather being a 3 year anniversary gift.
@3speed. I will get some pics when she's loaded up. I will be leaving town on tuesday to visit family in California. So i will be without a bike for a full week. Ugh.
Old 05-04-14, 10:16 AM
lotsaSpokes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pamaguahiker
I am going to get some VO fenders when money allows. I might even go with a kickstand (something I never would have considered). I am also going to put some front low rider rack system on it. Any recommendations? please share thoughts with me regarding what would work best? I believe maybe a front rack system that incorporates low rider, front bag support, and maybe a braze on point for mounting a light.
I would recommend against the VO fenders. I built up a VO Campeur for touring last Spring, and while I am still very happy with the bike, the fenders were a disappointment. I ended up getting a set of Planet Bike full-coverage fenders, which aren't as pretty, but lighter and just as functional.

I went with a Tubus Tara for my front lowrider rack. My Campeur rides nice and stable with that rack and the Ortlieb Classic front Packers. There is no braze on light mount on the Tara, but that's also something I'd recommend against. I've had a few dynamo-powererd front lights, and I've always mounted them front the fork crown. Doing that keeps them protected from being bumped, and from road grime that sprays of your tires.

Here's the thread I started on Crazyguyonabike.com about the frameset & my build:
Bicycle Touring: Forum: Bikes: #9949: "Velo Orange Campeur Touring Frameset", posted by Douglas Boyd on Tue 25 Sep 2012 15:36 (US/Pacific)
Old 05-04-14, 09:04 PM
pamaguahiker 

Thanks lotsaspokes. Maybe i will stick with what i have on it now and just play it out and see how they work. They worked fine on my prior build. Good points on the light down low. Makes a good deal of sense. Just read through some points on CGOB list. Good stuff. Thank you.
Old 05-06-14, 07:04 AM
RhinoDave

Bikes: Serotta road, Nashbar Touring, Bianchi Cross, Serotta MTB, Schwinn Mesa MTB, Schwinn Moab commuter/backroad tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question. Where did you get the small pannier hook bracket mounted to the bottom of your rear rack? Did it come with the rack or is it an add on? I need to add something like it to one of my racks so I don't have to readjust the pannier mounts between my two bikes. Nice looking setup by the way.
Old 05-06-14, 07:57 AM
DBA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like that bike...the grey color works well with the components
Old 05-09-14, 09:22 PM
pamaguahiker 

Originally Posted by RhinoDave
Question. Where did you get the small pannier hook bracket mounted to the bottom of your rear rack? Did it come with the rack or is it an add on? I need to add something like it to one of my racks so I don't have to readjust the pannier mounts between my two bikes. Nice looking setup by the way.
Thank you. That pannier bracket was part of the original rack which is a nashbar rack. It works well.
Old 05-09-14, 09:25 PM
pamaguahiker 

Originally Posted by DBA
I like that bike...the grey color works well with the components
Thanks dba. Sorry for the late response as I have been enjoying an internet free vacation!!!