Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm dying: What to do with bike collection?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I'm dying: What to do with bike collection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 07:03 PM
bane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to second using caringbridge to keep loved ones in the loop on your illness.

I'm in the area and would be happy to help. I've had a couple people go through cancer, some terminal, others not. It's not easy either way, that's for sure.
Old 06-06-14, 08:09 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Thanks for all the comments, especially the offers of help; you've given me a lot to think about. I'd like my son to keep a couple, and I only have one friend who has expressed any interest in having one. My friends couldn't (or wouldn't) even be able to ride one! Mostly, its hard to give them up, 40 years of collecting. I've already given all my guitars to my brother, and my guns to another friend; that just leaves the cameras, photo equipment, motorcycle collection (my son wants the 2 Harleys) and a lifetime of creating artwork!

Dang, one sure collects a lot in a in a too short life!

I've had a great life, done more than I ever could have imagined with a loving wife and son, comfortable house and enough means to enjoy them. I only wish it hadn't taken me most my life to fully appreciate all that.

Thanks again.
I'd like a link, or photo, to the art work
Old 06-06-14, 08:28 PM
jared1212

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Expedition / Scott Tampico DBSSMTB / El Camino track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're a brave soul dbakl, much respect to you for wanting to handle this for your wife's sake. I too am semi-local and wouldn't mind lending a hand in getting things sorted and listed, so please feel free to let me know if you'd like any assistance.
Old 06-06-14, 09:53 PM
rebelLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peace Brother. I had a friend who passed years ago and we SHARED the hobby of digging and collecting old coins. He asked me to put some back into circulation after he died so others might enjoy them as he did. I wont get into much details other than to say that I feel the same about bikes and cars.....meant to be rode, er drove.
Old 06-06-14, 10:22 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
never expected such a thread here. thought another goofy what-if poll from the title...
don't really know what to say.
sending good thoughts and prayers for you and your family, sir.

bikes... i dunno.
Old 06-06-14, 11:19 PM
buldogge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not terribly good with topics/threads/conversations like this…my mom died when she was 39yo (and I was 20)…all I can say is I hope that you and your family can find all the peace that you deserve. Cherish every moment left with them that you can…forget all the other stuff.

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 06-07-14, 04:34 AM
Lazyass

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
With a collection like that, I personally would leave control over everything to someone who could take it all to a bicycle swap meet and give the money to my family. Donating stuff would be great but my family would come first. I'm sure there are plenty of swap meets in Cali and the things would go to people who really want or need them. Whenever you think you're going through a rough time it's things like this that make you remember nothing is more precious than your health. Hopefully a miracle can happen with the advances. My mom died of cancer in 1980 when I was 12. If she had got the same cancer today she probably would have survived.
Old 06-07-14, 07:21 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
As with Aaron, I too would love to see some of your artwork dbakl.

Threads like this, at least for me, are very difficult to deal with on an emotional level and hit a very raw nerve... This forum has some great people who have expressed themselves far more eloquently that I ever could, though my sentiments and thoughts are much the same. To borrow what rhm said: "Now, back to my respectful silence."
Old 06-08-14, 12:12 PM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no advise better than what you have already been given. I hope that the bikes can be used in a manner that would make you happy and that the time you have remaining is as filled with the people and things that you love that it can be.
Old 06-08-14, 09:16 PM
jethin

Liked 372 Times in 180 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. We've all gotta check out sometime -- what's important is how we live. On that note personally I'd give 'em away. I know it sounds cheesy, but some of the folks who gets one of your bikes might be just like you were once -- overjoyed to have a nice new ride. And They'll likely remember your act of generosity every time they ride the bike. In that way you live on in some sense. Good luck.
Old 06-10-14, 02:58 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Thanks for the interest. All I ever wanted to be was an artist. As a child, I drew a lot, my spepfather taught me photography at age 10 and I've done painting, printmaking and ceramics. I went to school to become a graphic designer, and had my own firm 25-30 years. The last 15 years I've been working on my own personal photography.

Old 06-10-14, 03:04 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Beautiful work... thanks for sharing.
Old 06-10-14, 03:59 PM
Blylan
Wandering Around

Bikes: 1981 Katakura Silk Speedmaster, 2012 Fuji Feather, 2015 Bianchi Super Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the words. I'm in Oakland, CA.
There is a place in San Jose called Good Karma bikes, theyre a non profit that helps the commuinty and avid bicyclists.
Good Karma Bikes - Good Karma Bikes
I stopped by the shop for the first time this weekend and its a really cool place, i bet theyd even be willing to drive up and pick up the bikes too.

Just an option, a (semi) local one at that.

EDIT: just saw your photos, as an avid hobbyist picture taker, these are quite stunning. really amazing work.

Last edited by Blylan; 06-10-14 at 04:00 PM. Reason: to add a compliment!
Old 06-10-14, 04:24 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,800 Times in 1,197 Posts
What an incredible breadth of work! You have an omnivorous eye: My hat's off to you.
Brent
Old 06-10-14, 04:29 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Liked 181 Times in 93 Posts
Very nice portfolio. I like Brent's comment about the 'omnivorous eye.'

A lot has been said already, very eloquently, so I'll just add that you are only going where we all are, just a little earlier. So if you are able to, scout out some good routes for us.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 06-10-14, 04:36 PM
strock 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All I ever wanted to be was an artist.
Clearly sir, you succeeded more than admirably in that quest. Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-10-14, 04:38 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Wonderful compositions! As a very amateur photographer, I enjoyed seeing them, glad you posted them.
Old 06-10-14, 04:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Liked 4,837 Times in 1,710 Posts
Damn, you're on the edge of the abyss and still standing strong - an example to us all. From the sound of it, you've lived a full life. Thank you for sharing openly about your situation - and particularly for your photography: beautifully composed.

I think it's time to get out on my bike and get busy appreciating my life and mobility. Godspeed, dbakl

DD
Old 06-10-14, 04:48 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the interest. All I ever wanted to be was an artist. As a child, I drew a lot, my spepfather taught me photography at age 10 and I've done painting, printmaking and ceramics. I went to school to become a graphic designer, and had my own firm 25-30 years. The last 15 years I've been working on my own personal photography.
Very nice work, an excellent legacy. Thank you for sharing your world and vision. I wished that I was closer, I'd love to see your art work firsthand as well. Godspeed.
Old 06-10-14, 05:46 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,475 Times in 1,820 Posts
Originally Posted by Blylan
There is a place in San Jose called Good Karma bikes, theyre a non profit that helps the commuinty and avid bicyclists.
Good Karma Bikes - Good Karma Bikes
I stopped by the shop for the first time this weekend and its a really cool place, i bet theyd even be willing to drive up and pick up the bikes too.
I can vouch for good karma....I volunteer there and it is a difference maker.

Old 06-10-14, 05:47 PM
squirtdad 

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,475 Times in 1,820 Posts
Nice photos. The nude in the woods has a real Edward Weston feel.

Old 06-10-14, 06:12 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,769 Times in 989 Posts
Those photos are as impressive as your attitude in facing what we all will someday. Much Respect
Old 06-11-14, 06:34 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts

Gorgeous man - thanks for sharing. I especially like the blue. I'm glad you got your nickel's worth, but I wish the ride was longer.
Old 06-11-14, 09:41 AM
inkandsilver

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have much to add to the many wise words above, but thank you for starting this thread. I hope the advice has been helpful to you. I believe the thinking you have asked of us has been sobering - in a positive way - to many of us. Much respect.
Old 06-11-14, 10:29 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Liked 221 Times in 137 Posts
Thanks for sharing your art with me.