Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

A different kind of consumption

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 10:38 AM
timmythology

Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

I am writing this to learn more about car-free water consumption when completing errands. When riding for recreation, long distance, and touring I drink the recommended bottle an hour, and use a watch beeper as a reminder set at 10-15 minute intervals so that I remember. Since the first of the year I have been drinking black coffee and water as my primary beverages with a stray diet 7up when not feeling well. After a ride yesterday where I spent a few hours poking around and taking pictures (Sunday Parkways), I realized I am not drinking that much when riding around town.

Through a reflection I realize that I don't drink and commute since it is 6 miles one way. Which should translate that I may not even have a water bottle on my bike (currently have two sitting on the counter at the lbs) to begin with. I also put off drinking when thirsty with the thought of "I'll do it right after" where after is like tomorrow and so never becomes my present. I don't have a fear of not having water, because it's so accessible. I just really underestimate the duration-time I am on the bike when riding around town, and would prefer to not have to play catch up when it comes to water.

thanks for any input
Old 06-23-14, 01:06 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I carry water with me and drink as I get thirsty. No rules, though I can estimate about 1 bottle per 10 miles. Less in winter.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-23-14, 01:08 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I have my Garmin set to alert me every 15 minutes of ride time which is when I take a few gulps of water.
Old 06-23-14, 01:24 PM
timmythology

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the beep, but get really self conscious of it when rings around others.
I like the ten mile thought, it's something to I can do. Will have to put a computer on my bike.

Thanks
Old 06-23-14, 02:05 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I drink when I get thirsty. I never really thought about using a clock or a computer to tell me when to drink! Sometimes I go six hours without drinking. If I'm sweating, I drink more often, maybe every couple hours. I rarely carry water with me when I'm riding in town. I just stop at a drinking fountain or get an iced tea.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-23-14, 06:23 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by timmythology
I love the beep, but get really self conscious of it when rings around others.
I like the ten mile thought, it's something to I can do. Will have to put a computer on my bike.
Well, I don't judge my distance by computer. But I know that if I'm going to downtown, I'll need a bottle of water. Two, if it's a round trip. If there's a water fountain on the way, I may fill up. That's one thing about car-free riding, much of it is to places you've already been to. So experience can be your guide.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-24-14, 05:21 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I have a cup holder mounted on my city bike, I use a 16 ounce Tervis cup with a lid on it. Refill when empty with beverage of choice. It has been known to hold the occasional margarita I don't really worry too much about water intake, I drink water all the time, rather than other beverages. Only exception is first thing in the morning I am going to have my two cups of coffee... No Coffee, No Workee!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-24-14, 05:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
Before you go for a ride, drink a tall glass of water.

When you get in from a ride, drink a tall glass of water.

And just make it a habit of having a bottle of water on the bicycle. When you stop to take a picture or whatever ... each time you stop ... have a drink.
Old 06-24-14, 10:18 AM
timmythology

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for the replies.

I get very focused when I am doing stuff, and resorted to using a sound device when doing longer rides, and it worked. I wish it were not so, but like they say about that.

I think the reason it became noticeable is that the length of time I was out yesterday, and it was a perfect day to just stroll around.

Machka unfortunately I am not able to do it when taking pictures, because I forget when I start looking at the scenery, and think of focus, compistion, and I know you take great photos and may understand this: )

I mean how often do you get a beer to walk by?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ranieer.jpg (101.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-24-14, 03:56 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
And just make it a habit of having a bottle of water on the bicycle. When you stop to take a picture or whatever ... each time you stop ... have a drink.
...as often as you seem to stop for pictures, that could result in a need for extra stops!
Old 06-24-14, 04:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
...as often as you seem to stop for pictures, that could result in a need for extra stops!

But most of the pictures I've taken while cycling have been on long rides, so they might be 20 or 30 or 50 km apart. Then I might stop and take several in different directions.
Old 06-25-14, 12:30 AM
timmythology

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to have a "many stops do not follow on my back" I stop so much. I stopped and took this on Sunday,

Could have waited longer for a better composition, but I was thirsty : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0069.jpg (62.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-25-14, 07:30 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Before you go for a ride, drink a tall glass of water.

When you get in from a ride, drink a tall glass of water.

This sounds about right to me. Although unless it's super hot out... or unless I'm doing > 20 miles, I just have a small glass of water before, a few gulps on the trip and a little more when I arrive.
Old 06-25-14, 08:39 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by timmythology
Thanks again for the replies.

I get very focused when I am doing stuff, and resorted to using a sound device when doing longer rides, and it worked. I wish it were not so, but like they say about that.

I think the reason it became noticeable is that the length of time I was out yesterday, and it was a perfect day to just stroll around.

Machka unfortunately I am not able to do it when taking pictures, because I forget when I start looking at the scenery, and think of focus, compistion, and I know you take great photos and may understand this: )

I mean how often do you get a beer to walk by?
You didn't say you were consuming "Vitamin R"!! (Vitamin R = Rainier Beer, for those not familar with this dietary staple).

I worked at the Big Sky ski area in Montana one season after college, and I survived on Vitamin "R" and Lipton's cup of soup. When I did the math, I figured out that most of my calories were coming from the Vitamin "R".

You should be fine.