Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

new to road Bikes had a few questions about the one I bought. Windsor The hour

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 11:51 PM
ghettogeddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I picked up a Windsor the hour second hand off craigslist for $200 bucks. and I would like to get a freewheel and brake setup for it. I need to know what freewheel to get as im kinda of new to the road bike world. used to ride allot of bmx in high school. This is strictly for fitness, no real hills as of now, mostly flat road. Any suggestions or links ?

Track Bkes | SingleSpeed Bikes | Fixie | Windsor Bikes - The Hour | Save up to 60% off Fixed gear and singlespeed bicycles

ill post a couple pics after I get it repainted.
Old 06-25-14, 12:17 AM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amazon.com: freewheel any of those single speed ones will work fine. I'd grab 3/32 but that's just me.
Old 06-25-14, 12:27 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
acs on the cheap, white industries for a good one

don't buy smaller than a 16t. different diameter. some 15t freewheels are available in the proper size, but better to play it safe.

best bet is to buy one the same size as the fixed cog that's on there
Old 06-25-14, 11:14 AM
t x

Bikes: Windsor The Hour Plus, 2014 Novara Verita, Windsor Oxford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't it come stock with a freewheel? I know mine did, but since it's a CL buy, maybe they removed it. In any event, stryper's recommendation is spot on. With all due respect to LupinIII, you probably should not just randomly buy a 15T or 16T freewheel, buy something that's a tooth or two larger than your fixed cog.
Old 06-25-14, 01:04 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
16t freewheel will give you a 3.0 gear ratio. I would not go with a smaller freewheel if you are new. It also depends on your terrain and how many hills you have. If you have hilly area you may want something bigger like 18t. If you go bigger than 16t you might need a new chain too. I would get 1/8 freewheel not 3/32 since the crankset is 1/8
Old 06-25-14, 02:27 PM
ghettogeddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t x
Didn't it come stock with a freewheel? I know mine did, but since it's a CL buy, maybe they removed it. In any event, stryper's recommendation is spot on. With all due respect to LupinIII, you probably should not just randomly buy a 15T or 16T freewheel, buy something that's a tooth or two larger than your fixed cog.
This one only has a fixed gear. Im sure eventually ill get used to it but the first ride was a bit sketchy. Also I think you got those names backwards.

so this freewheel should work just fine https://www.amazon.com/ACS-16T-Crossf...ords=freewheel
Old 06-25-14, 04:44 PM
t x

Bikes: Windsor The Hour Plus, 2014 Novara Verita, Windsor Oxford

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
y. Also I think you got those names backwards.
No, that's what I meant. I think Stryper is right in that any of those SS freewheels should be fine. I disagree with LupinIII because I think your freewheel size is dependent on your chain ring size and chain length (so, by extension, the size of your fixed cog). You didn't mention how big the fixed cog is so if, for example, it has a 20T fixed cog, a 15T or 16T freewheel might be a bad choice if you want to run it with a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel on the other. Even if you are running only SS a freewheel, that size might or might not make sense depending on the chainring and how big or small of a gear you are comfortable pushing. The bikesdirect site says that it comes with a 48T chain ring, but I know mine actually came geared at 46/16.
Old 06-26-14, 12:07 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LupinIII
acs on the cheap, white industries for a good one

don't buy smaller than a 16t. different diameter. some 15t freewheels are available in the proper size, but better to play it safe.

best bet is to buy one the same size as the fixed cog that's on there
yeah, I totally told him to buy a smaller freewheel

guy says he has bmx background, he probably gets what a gear ratio is. depending on when he rode bmx, they used freewheels that went down to 12t counts for flip flop hubs.

the fact that sw8 fixies also use the term "flip flop hub" could confuse him, if he were to buy a small freewheel for whatever reason.

I'm telling him to not buy anything smaller than 16t. it won't fit on his hub. he could buy a 22t for all i care (he'll need a new chain).
Old 06-26-14, 01:05 AM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghettogeddy
so this freewheel should work just fine Robot Check
Ya should be just fine so long as you get a 16t - 22t, depending on how easy you want pedaling to be
Old 06-26-14, 01:19 AM
ghettogeddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'll get a count on current fixed cog and Chain ring. Took it for its first mile today and I know For a fact I'm gonna need freewheel till my body can withstand constant movement. I'm a bit out of Shape. Even though round is A shape.