Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 11:21 AM
Ernest_T_Bass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Old Guy

Hi everyone!
I just started riding after not really riding since a was a kid. There are 2 strikes against me I'm old (60)and I'm fat over 300lbs at 5'9". Oh I also went out and bought a BBB (Big Box Bike) that I know now that everyone here thinks is wasted money. But I am trying now it's really tough to get back into fitness. I know I'm not telling you guys anything you don't know there. But You guys have plenty to teach me and I am very willing to learn and glad to be here. And I'm starting to save for a better bike, but it will be awhile.
Old 07-05-14, 11:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Hey Ernest,

Welcome to Bike Forums.

Walking will also help much.

Old 07-05-14, 08:21 PM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF and good luck with your cycling efforts. If your BBB is true to form, it probably has a saddle that’ll drive you away from cycling. If that starts to happen, you might be able to offset that effect by getting a decent saddle at a good local bike shop. However it goes---good luck with it!
Old 07-05-14, 08:56 PM
Ernest_T_Bass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're so right Lacumo, I bought a new saddle immediately, within 2 weeks the peddles both broke, I had to replace those also. I didn't how much work I had to do just to get that bike running. I had to true the wheels, adjust the gears and brakes, thank god for youtube it taught me to do all that.
Old 07-05-14, 09:05 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome! We all wish you the best as you start out riding again. MANY of us here are "late bloomers" and have started riding again after years, sometimes decades.

Many posters here are totally anti BBB but if you like it and it's decent then go for it! Quite a few BBB's are made out of cheaper non standard materials and the quality that goes into the manufacturing process is not that great, the "skill" of the assembler is typically not that good either. They are made after all to make the big box store a quick buck, and face it a lot of adults who buy bikes have good intentions of keeping with it but end up parking it in the garage to gather dust after a few times out. Sometimes you can pick up a gem BBB, sometimes the aggravation they cause because of breakdowns or difficulties can discourage a rider.

Just ride the thing, if you keep up with it and enjoy riding then consider buying a step up from a local bike shop. The quality is usually better and may make the ride just that much more pleasurable and offer features your BBB lacks.

Be sure to check out the 50+ Forum too.