Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A hit.....to close to home...a loss of a friend

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A hit.....to close to home...a loss of a friend

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 11:57 AM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, not much I can say that hasn't been said already but my condolences none the less. We all hope we never have to experience it, but unfortunatly some of us will. Be strong for the family.
Old 10-15-05, 12:03 PM
KeithA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. Just seeing his smiling face in the one picture makes me feel he was just a great guy to be around. It's very hard to hear about.
Old 10-15-05, 12:07 PM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross,

If you feel it is appropriate could you post the family address for sympathy cards?

LastPlace
Old 10-15-05, 12:15 PM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know what I'd feel like if one of my buddies got killed. I feel for you and the family and I'll pray for you.

So sorry, Cross.
Old 10-15-05, 12:38 PM
crosscut
cellblock 5150

Bikes: 05 Scott CR1 CF Team 05 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for the kind words and prayers. Everyone on our team is struggling to understand why. I don't know that there is a why, other than the big man has a plan.

Several of our members were out of town on a mountain bike ride and are heading home now....

I spoke to his wife just a bit ago and I am heading over there this afternoon. Lucky for me the race this weekend is at home (Charlotte) and I am just down the street from where Todd lived. She is in pain, that I could never imagine. She is bitter to some degree at the events and said she didn't want to see a bike or have anything to do with cycling ever again. Understandably, she feels this way so soon. This will change with the healing process. We are currently working on our website (opening memorial) and setting up a Memorial Fund for his family. I will post the details soon. I can't imagine having two small kids and living through this.

Hip, you are right on. People take the time to hug your kids/wife/husband. Doesn't take but a second to lose it.

I will post some more later.

Thank you, you guys are family too.

Cross
Old 10-15-05, 12:52 PM
Lectron
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry about your loss
Old 10-15-05, 12:55 PM
zac

Bikes: I just ride them, they own me.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirona
That sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that you lost a friend.

I know this is a tragedy and am not out to point fingers or villify anyone. With that said, according to the witness, that could have been a driver with a perfect record in the accident. Sure, that driver should probably have been taken off the road prior, but he wasn't necessarily 100% at fault this time. This incident should serve as a reminder for all of us to always remain alert.

"Seeman said the man on the bicycle was riding fast and seemed to have his head down. The bike hit the bus near the door."

Really? Were you there?
From the sound of it, I have been in a very similar accident. My offending vehicle crossed traffic attempting to beat oncoming traffic and directly into my path. I had a very short distance to go from 20 mph or so to stop...needless to say I was braking as hard as I could, my head went down, my rear end way back over the rear wheel, in a hunched up emergency braking posture as I slammed into the front quarter of the truck, which proceeded to continue on and drive over me. I was luckier than Weaver.

BTW I was not there either, but my scenario is equally as likely as yours, and probably more likely due to the drivers history. Given his distracted condition it sounds like he crossed traffic without seeing the biker. I dont know how this makes the biker responsible too. Are you suggesting that all non motor vehicle traffic yeild the way to all oncomming traffic whether they can stop or not?

A driver in my state with 5 accidents in a 36 month period looses his license as an habitual traffic offender and must take a drivers ed course prior to reinstatement.
Old 10-15-05, 01:15 PM
Prosody
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My condolences. Todd's family needs a good attorney. The bus company had a dangerous driver on the streets. If you or I or anyone we knew had that many accidents in that time frame driving our automobiles our families would have taken our car keys away. The bus company allowed this dangerous driver to place lives in danger, and they should be held accountable.
Old 10-15-05, 01:35 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Normally I would not defend a bus driver with so many infractions. And that is certainly not the case here. However, I think with the overwhelming majority of the article making a case against the bus driver, and mentioning only one statement that the cyclists possible lack of attention may have been a contributing factor, does seem relevant.

If you read how it happened, basically the bus made a left turn in front of the cyclist, resulting in the cyclist broadsiding the bus. The driver may not have seen a cyclist coming, or figured the cyclist would stop, given enough time. Keep in mind, technically the cyclist would have the right of way, so the driver would normally be found at fault.

If Todd was hammering away with his head down, only for a few seconds, he may have not seen the bus making a turn in front of him, and when he lifted his head, if at all, he didn't have time to react. Generally when riding, you will see cars crossing in front of you when you are looking where you are going, and will have plenty of time to stop. All it takes is a split second of inattention on the part of both parties, and someone will get severely injured, or even killed.

Now, was he at fault? In a personal way, yes. Simply because he may not have been as alert as he should have been. This is why, as stated earlier, we as cyclists need to be two steps ahead of everyone else. We just can't win a battle with a bus, or any vehicle for that matter.

However, as a traffic accident, the bus driver was majorly at fault for not checking oncoming traffic (including bicycle traffic) when making a left turn.

A good example is what happened to me the other night. It was dark 11:30pm, and raining on my way home from work. I pulled up to a stop sign at a 3-way stop. At the same time a pickup truck pulled up the intersection to my right. I let him go as required, since he was on my right, and had the right of way. However, as I then proceeded to go straight through after he made a left turn in front of me, the truck behind him started making a left turn as well, without allowing me to go through first.
As a result, I ended up in front of him as he was coming straight at me. Now, two things may have happened here.

1. He just didn't see me because of the bad weather, which is most likely the case.
2. He was ticked, and wasn't going to wait for some guy on a bike, since he thinks I don't belong on the road to begin with. Not the case.

Regardless, as I ended up in front of him, and his headlights hit me, he hit the brakes, and I shouted, "Stop!!!" He was only feet away from broadsiding me. Luckily since I was taking off quick, he most liekly would not have hit me anyway.
In reality, the same kind of thing could have easily happened to me as what happened to Todd. All it takes is one moment of inattention from two parties. This, for me, was a valuable lesson to keep my eyes open, or I could easily end up in a very bad place.

My thoughts and prayers are with Todds family. As with all accidents of this nature, it never should have happened.
Old 10-15-05, 01:39 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.
Old 10-15-05, 05:07 PM
biker7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No words Cross other than I am very sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow cyclist and your friend.
I wish you strength during this difficult time.
George
Old 10-15-05, 06:12 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My condolences as well.

John Wilke
Milwaukee
Old 10-16-05, 05:27 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All though Church this morning all I could think about was that poor family. I prayed for them and for all Todd's friends.

I really hope the healing process comes at the right time for you all.
Old 10-16-05, 07:46 AM
Ineedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My condolences go out to his family.
Old 10-16-05, 08:43 AM
Pfoot

Bikes: 04 Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
condolences
Old 10-16-05, 09:31 AM
crosscut
cellblock 5150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all again for everything.

I went to the crash site this morning, because I needed to know where it happened in my mind. I wanted to see if there was any reason for this to happpen. I guess I am looking for answers. The intersection is a wide open intersection with no obstructions and no traffic lights. The line of sight for the bus driver was very long and unobstructed. So many questions. No answers.

I sat down there for a few moments, crying and reliving past rides. As I sat there, I can't explain why, but my emotions went from hurt to angry, and I am at a loss for how the driver of the bus didn't see him. Angry at the city, and the bus driver. But at last I am back home, and the anger has vanished and the pain is returning. I think I will go find some friends and hang out today. Remembering a great friend that beat us to the final finish line.

Thanks for being here guys.
Cross
Old 10-16-05, 12:02 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crosscut
Thank you all again for everything.

I went to the crash site this morning, because I needed to know where it happened in my mind. I wanted to see if there was any reason for this to happpen. I guess I am looking for answers. The intersection is a wide open intersection with no obstructions and no traffic lights. The line of sight for the bus driver was very long and unobstructed. So many questions. No answers.

I sat down there for a few moments, crying and reliving past rides. As I sat there, I can't explain why, but my emotions went from hurt to angry, and I am at a loss for how the driver of the bus didn't see him. Angry at the city, and the bus driver. But at last I am back home, and the anger has vanished and the pain is returning. I think I will go find some friends and hang out today. Remembering a great friend that beat us to the final finish line.

Thanks for being here guys.
Cross
Cross...you may conclude there are no answers. There are answers to physically what happened of course...likely the bus driver didn't see your friend and turned abruptly in front of him and for a split second your friend may have looked down to see what gear he was in when hammering away...an odd stack up of events usually precipitate a tradegy of this kind. It happens to motorcycle riders all the time that die in large numbers each year. The larger question is why your friend...struck down in his prime with a wonderful family. An argument can be made for divine intervention which defies understanding and many will believe the opposite. I chose the latter...a freak accident...having seen too many good people lost inexplicably. People find their own answers over time. As mentioned...all the best during this very difficult to accept loss of your friend. I too have lost a friend in his prime and it took me a long time to get over...if there is such a thing as getting over someone you really care about...or accepting it. I still think about all the laughs we used to share.
Best Regards,
George

Last edited by biker7; 10-16-05 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 02:35 PM
crosscut
cellblock 5150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Info for the family.

www.toddweaver.org

Thanks,
Cross
Old 10-16-05, 07:45 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zac
Are you suggesting that all non motor vehicle traffic yeild the way to all oncomming traffic whether they can stop or not?
Don't put words in my mouth. Read Patriot's post.
Old 10-16-05, 08:07 PM
outashape

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you are feeling. I have lost two friends to cycling deaths this year in separate incidents. We all hear about cyclists being killed, but until it is someone we know personally, you don't realize how quickly a life is removed. I have definately changed my cycling after the second loss. I may even give it up.
Old 10-16-05, 08:09 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My condolences to you, Cross, and to the family. I hope that everyone can find some kind of peace with this, if not accepting, then focusing on the good things Todd did, and made happen.
When pilots lose a friend, they fly over with an open spot in the formation for the missing pilot. If you have a memorial bike ride, maybe you could leave a spot open in the pack .

For the other posters, in lots of localities, anytime a public driver has even a minor accident, a drug/alcohol test is mandatory.
Old 10-16-05, 08:33 PM
FrankJohns

Bikes: None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Condolences.

May his next journey be on wide-open roads.
Old 10-16-05, 10:18 PM
ridgeracer

Bikes: Cervelo r2.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My prayers and thoughts are with you and the family.
Old 10-16-05, 10:21 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
That sucks

PS newspaper requires sign up.

www.bugmenot.com
Old 10-16-05, 10:41 PM
Polonswim

Bikes: Gary Fisher MTB and a Klein Quantum II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not that it hasn't been said before, but I am so sorry for your loss. May you never forget the good times/rides you had with him and live part of your life for him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.