Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do we mean by "On your left!"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 11:02 PM
Whodat

Bikes: Bridgestone X0-1 (1992) PURPLE!!!!, Trek 3.1 (2011), Reid Ares, Bianchi Advantage, Hetchins Expecto Patronum (1960)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm afraid I may be pulling the pin and dropping a grenade with this, but here it goes:
I always thought that "On your left!" meant "I'm passing on your left so don't move to your left!". Over the weekend, I was passed by a line of riders who seemed to think it meant "Get the @#^! out of my way!" which I couldn't really do without hitting the riders that I was overtaking. So is there an "official" convention?
Old 08-04-14, 11:08 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Your understanding is correct. "On your left," means I am coming by on your left.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-04-14, 11:23 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The worst is when all people hear is "left" so they start to move over to the left as they look over their shoulder, see you, get scared, and then swerve back to the right.
Old 08-04-14, 11:32 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"On your left" generally translates to "I'm a massive fred and I'm cat sixing your pathetic ass".
Old 08-04-14, 11:41 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
In my area it means "Look left, and swerve into my path while doing so." Bonus points are awarded if you have a dog on a long long leash that makes a death line across the cyclists path.

But that may just be a local convention.
Old 08-04-14, 11:42 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cccorlew
In my area it means "Look left, and swerve into my path while doing so." Bonus points are awarded if you have a dog on a long long leash that makes a death line across the cyclists path.

Headphones too
Old 08-04-14, 11:46 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26477 Post(s)
Liked 10,441 Times in 7,244 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
"On your left" generally translates to "I'm a massive fred and I'm cat sixing your pathetic ass".
....................................this ^^^^
Old 08-05-14, 01:37 AM
Nick94804

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you've been riding on the bay trail in Richmond haven't you...LOL
Old 08-05-14, 03:19 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 509 Posts
I know what bicyclists think it means, but to a person not familiar with passing cyclists, **********?? sort of like Wie ghet's?

Maybe, SNAKE on the ground on your left! or SPIDER on your left shoulder! or a hundred dollar bill on the ground to your left!

Guess that's why I give a....PASSING on your left, so there is a little clarity as to what is going to happen.
Old 08-05-14, 04:28 AM
Whodat

Bikes: Bridgestone X0-1 (1992) PURPLE!!!!, Trek 3.1 (2011), Reid Ares, Bianchi Advantage, Hetchins Expecto Patronum (1960)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
Headphones too
Ah yes, "let me make my lack of situational awareness complete."
Old 08-05-14, 04:42 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Whodat
Ah yes, "let me make my lack of situational awareness complete."
Don't forget to add texting while wearing headphones while meandering all over the MUP as your three small children scream in terror at the approach of any cyclist.
Old 08-05-14, 06:19 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whodat
Over the weekend, I was passed by a line of riders who seemed to think it meant "Get the @#^! out of my way!" which I couldn't really do without hitting the riders that I was overtaking. So is there an "official" convention?
If you were passing a group of riders the paceline behind you should have been patient enough to allow you to move over so they could safely pass you. Some groups don't like to slow down a few mph to make room for these situation, but would rather you just simply get out of their way. It's also possible that they might have just been announcing their presence so you didn't swerve into their group, so hard to say what was their intention.
Old 08-05-14, 06:42 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,204 Times in 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
This is a big part of riding on busy MUPs. You need some way of alerting people or crashes happen. Otherwise doing it is definitely a fred label.
Old 08-05-14, 06:52 AM
Dryvlyne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been have this problem on several local bike paths where I live. Either the person(s) don't hear me because they are on their phone or otherwise distracted OR if there are multiple people they split and go to either side!

Actually just the other day I almost hit a small child coming around a bend. I announced my presence and the mother saw me though her reaction to get out of my way was delayed let alone know the exact presence of her small child. Fortunately I was already on the brakes because I wasn't sure if the mother heard me, but the child did panic a bit and wander back & forth before I was able to safely go around. I would have felt really, really terrible if I accidentally struck a child.

Anymore when I'm approaching up behind someone, even if I know they heard me and are starting to move over, I typically start coasting & always ready my fingers over the brakes just in case.
Old 08-05-14, 06:54 AM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

i had it worse yesterday, a man talking to someone else on the left with his 2 dogs on leashes stretched across the path... on a side not, shimano makes great brakes
Old 08-05-14, 07:06 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what i yell when the rider on the front has a bee on the left buttcheeck to let her know i need to smack it.
Old 08-05-14, 07:12 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 382 Posts
This thread exemplifies the problem with "on your left". It can confuse people and get the opposite of the intended result. It also may foster an incorrect belief that the rider being passed has some duty to get out of the way of the rider passing.

If you're passing someone, it's your obligation to do it safely. If you're relying on the rider you're passing to "hold their line" because you said "on your left" you're passing them too closely.

Passing slower riders, I typically say hello, or goodmorning, just to avoid startling them. It keeps them from being Po'd, it doesn't imply any required action by them, and I just assume they will make the stupidist move possible, and oass in a manner to avoid them if they do.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-05-14, 07:19 AM
Dryvlyne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This thread exemplifies the problem with "on your left". It can confuse people and get the opposite of the intended result. It also may foster an incorrect belief that the rider being passed has some duty to get out of the way of the rider passing.

If you're passing someone, it's your obligation to do it safely. If you're relying on the rider you're passing to "hold their line" because you said "on your left" you're passing them too closely.

Passing slower riders, I typically say hello, or goodmorning, just to avoid startling them. It keeps them from being Po'd, it doesn't imply any required action by them, and I just assume they will make the stupidist move possible, and oass in a manner to avoid them if they do.
That's a good point. It really is you, as the cyclist, to be responsible for safely passing. Anymore I find myself saying, "Coming up behind you" to 1) announce my presence 2) let them decide how to react to my presence and then I react accordingly once I see their reaction. Of course this only works if you, as the cyclist, are willing to be patient and possibly lose your speed/rhythm as a result which admittedly can be frustrating if you're in a groove.
Old 08-05-14, 07:38 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again I use my announce as I deem necessary. If the riders are riding straight and there is plenty of room I don't say anything. If they are wandering or there is a traffic issue developing I try to say something just to let them know I am back there and trying to pass. What burns me up more than anything are the oncoming walkers/riders that can see you coming and still block the path. That warrants a rude comment as I go by.
Old 08-05-14, 07:42 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The biggest problem is while you think you are clearly saying or yelling something the person you are passing is startled and doesn't hear anything clearly. Their first reaction, because you yelled, is to move one way or the other. There's a 50/50 chance they'll move the direction you hope.

Better option is to do as Merlin suggested above and just pass safely saying hi as you go by. Anything else is pointless.
Old 08-05-14, 07:46 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
This is a big part of riding on busy MUPs. You need some way of alerting people or crashes happen. Otherwise doing it is definitely a fred label.
Riding on busy mups makes the "I am a massive fred" part redundant.
Old 08-05-14, 07:50 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I know what bicyclists think it means, but to a person not familiar with passing cyclists, **********?? sort of like Wie ghet's?

Maybe, SNAKE on the ground on your left! or SPIDER on your left shoulder! or a hundred dollar bill on the ground to your left!

Guess that's why I give a....PASSING on your left, so there is a little clarity as to what is going to happen.
Yup. When you say 'passing', who are you referring to? And does that mean that you're passing on their left or your left? Or does that mean that you want them to move to their left as you pass?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-05-14, 07:53 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Walkers have the right of way and cyclists should always slow down when passing. It's nice when walkers keep to the right side of the trail, but frequently you have 2 or 3 friends walking together taking up the whole path. It's annoying but that's too bad, just be polite and safe when passing. Give walkers the same kind of courtesy and respect you expect a motorist to give you on the road.

On a related note, I think all cyclists should have mirrors - they make riding much, much safer on both MUPs and roads.
Old 08-05-14, 07:54 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

That doesn't prevent those being overtaken from looking left, drifting left and still be an obstruction.
Old 08-05-14, 07:59 AM
Ridelots24
Clinging to guns/religion

Bikes: Litspd Cyx/ Paragon/ LHT/ Madone 5.2/ Spclzd TT/ Boone/ Lynskey 27.5/ Pugs / Colnago CLX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.