Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

brakes? 27" vs 700C

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

brakes? 27" vs 700C

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 10:58 AM
RJR49

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brakes? 27" vs 700C

I'm restoring an old Santanna Tandem. When I bought it there were 700C rims with Campy Super Record 40 spoke Hubs on it. Very cool except that the bike must have come with 27" wheels because the cantilever brakes don't line up with the rims.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but 40 spoke 27" rims don't seem to be available. A new fork would work on the front but not help in the back. Plus I would like to keep it as original as possible. If anyone has suggestions for brakes that might work I would appreciate it.
Old 08-03-14, 04:21 PM
geronimo2000

Bikes: Rodriguez, Ibis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these are the most adjustable tandem brakes you'll find anywhere:

Brakes designed for tandem and cyclocross bicycles, also brakes for touring bikes and bicycles
Old 08-04-14, 07:07 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR49
I'm restoring an old Santanna Tandem. When I bought it there were 700C rims with Campy Super Record 40 spoke Hubs on it. Very cool except that the bike must have come with 27" wheels because the cantilever brakes don't line up with the rims.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but 40 spoke 27" rims don't seem to be available. A new fork would work on the front but not help in the back. Plus I would like to keep it as original as possible. If anyone has suggestions for brakes that might work I would appreciate it.

Tandems East appears to have 27" rims in 40 and 48 holes on their web site.
https://www.tandemseast.com/parts/wheels.html
Old 08-05-14, 11:44 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If yours has the older Mafac cantilever brakes that it likely came with you CAN adjust those to fit a 700c rim. I was given this suggestion by Santana and tested it on my late 70's Santana and it worked. I sanded the pad down some to get more surface braking area (rather than just replacing the pads like I should).

Also, I've upgraded my fork to the newer safe fork as well. The new fork is shiny chrome. It looks pretty cool really. If you go that route, be sure to take the fork to a shop to have them do the facing on it. DON'T try to force a crown race that's too small onto it as it'll split and then you'll end up paying $10 for the crown race AND still have to have a shop do the facing of it. (Cost me only $15 for the facing.)

Originally Posted by RJR49

Last edited by iconicflux; 08-05-14 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 02:32 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RJR49;

1) Adding to source Wayne posted, I would recommend checking in by phone with Peter White Cycles. He has some 27" tandem rims now and then.
2) Ditto on Geronimo2000 post; the Trillium canti's are extremely adjustable and as brakes they really, really, really stop

/K