Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your most exciting ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your most exciting ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 02:22 PM
Dryvlyne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your most exciting ride

So last night I had my most exciting ride since I started road biking this Summer. I had just finished working out at the gym, but still wanted some time on the bike to help clear my head. So instead of taking my normal route home which would have been along well-lit streets, I decided to take the MUP.

That said there were several factors here that made this short ride much more adrenaline pumping than usual. First, it was around 9:30 at night so it was completely dark out. Second, it had rained pretty good a couple of hours earlier so the ground was still very much wet. Third, parts of the MUP cut through small wooded areas which have zero lighting.

So I hop on my bike, turn on my little Cateye light (this is not a headlamp by any means) and start pedaling into the darkness of the MUP. Oh and did I mention I just had new tires put on earlier I the day (a pair of 28 Gatorskins). Now at first my biggest fear was a critter, large or small, being on the MUP and me not seeing it in time. I pretty much rode the entire time with my fingers poised over the brakes.

In the end there were only 2 really scary parts. One was a pretty steep, but short downhill grade (not sure how much exactly, but I would characterize it as potentially dangerous in the daytime if you don't know the area well because there's a chicane at the bottom). So I made it through that without any problem albeit at 3-5mph slower than I would have gone in the daytime.

The second scary moment came when I was travelling down a long straight next to a small creek. Some small critter cut the path right in front of me - it was either a raccoon or cat, but it happened so fast I couldn't really tell. Then about another 50ft after that I notice something move out of my peripheral - it was a family of deer (4-6) down by the creek that I'd startled. At first the took off parallel to the creek, but I slowed down not knowing what they would do and they eventually did cut across the MUP ahead of me.

So that was it, that was my most exciting ride thus far. Admittedly in hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do given the lack of visibility and road conditions and that I was by myself, but it sure was fun :-)
Old 08-06-14, 02:31 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
So, I was JRA on the MUP and the ride was so relaxing that I decided to just close my eyes and let the bike choose its own path. Suddenly I hear "ON YOUR LEFT" from behind me. Naturally I go to my left so the person behind me can pass safely, and all of the sudden this crazy middle aged man in skin tight lycra wizzes past me on his $4,000 bike ALMOST HITTING ME. My heart rate was so high after that that I had to sit down and relax. Luckily just past the next corner there was a shady spot since there were a lot of trees there. I'm sitting on the path relaxing for awhile and what do you know ANOTHER middle aged guy in lycra on a super expensive road bike comes flying around the corner at 25 MPH and almost slams right into me! I don't know what they were thinking going around that blind corner without dinging their bell!
Old 08-06-14, 02:39 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Sometimes when I'm in a large group I close my eyes and see how long I can go without crashing. I'm up to about 6 seconds right now.
Old 08-06-14, 02:39 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two examples of what not to do. No wonder they were exciting. Don't ride in the dark with insufficient lighting unless you have a death wish and why on earth would you close your eyes then move to left when you hear something ******************** Ride where you can see or purchase a tool that will allow you to do so. And PLEASE ride with your freakin' eyes open and learn the rules of the MUP ( ride on the right and DON'T sit in the path). You two are the reason MUPS are dangerous.

Oh wait you guys aren't trolls are you ?
Old 08-06-14, 02:43 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
Suddenly I hear "ON YOUR LEFT" from behind me. Naturally I go to my left so the person behind me can pass safely...
On your left does not mean please move to your left. It means stay to the right because I will be on your left. Never go left when someone says on your left
Old 08-06-14, 02:48 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
On your left does not mean please move to your left. It means stay to the right because I will be on your left. Never go left when someone says on your left
No, I don't think that's how it works.
Old 08-06-14, 02:53 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, I don't think that's how it works.
That would be an issue then because that is how it works.
Old 08-06-14, 02:54 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
My sarcasm detector is going off.
Old 08-06-14, 02:55 PM
Dryvlyne

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, so much for trying to have a serious discussion.
Old 08-06-14, 02:57 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by f4rrest
My sarcasm detector is going off.
Would you believe me if I said they didn't wave?
Old 08-06-14, 03:03 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Would you believe me if I said they didn't wave?
Yes... no?
Old 08-06-14, 03:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12970 Post(s)
Liked 7,888 Times in 4,194 Posts
Who rides with their eyes open?

Don't you get bugs in 'em?
Old 08-06-14, 04:21 PM