Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting "out the door"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting "out the door"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 11:26 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Most of my riding lately is on a tandem. We get up, set up the FindmeSpot (gps tracker so friends know where we are), check the temperature, get dressed, fill the water bottles, put ID and phone in a pocket and roll. If we're going over 80 miles, we'll throw a bite of food into the saddle bag.
Old 08-13-14, 02:47 AM
gdhillard

Bikes: 2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuff kills us. One of the things I love about bikes is the purity. Dump the stuff. This reminds me of a couple not making love because it takes too much time to put on the fancy night clothes and get out the sex toys. Dump the stuff.
I get up, drink a juice, eat a handful of raisins, put out the sign that tells the kids I am out on the bike, get on the bike, and ride. Every morning. I don't start thinking until I'm a few miles out. I wake up on the Greenway. If I want to plan a ride, I do it later, and take a second ride.
Old 08-13-14, 03:07 AM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the moment I decide to ride, it takes me apx. 30 minutes before I'm out the door and on the bike. No previous prep required.

For the bike, check tires and top off with air, check chain, then install the Garmin. Tubes, tools etc.. are already stored in the bag under the seat. Pump is always on the bike.

After checking the current weather conditions and forecast, select riding apparel and dress up.

Last is water bottles and food. I have a general idea how long I'd like to ride, so select enough food to cover that distance or time.

Once out the door, turn on the Garmin then decide where to ride. Have a number of loops I know, so I'll select or change the route based on wind, weather, traffic and how I'm feeling.
Old 08-13-14, 07:59 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is brilliant. I'm putting this on a T-shirt.

Originally Posted by gdhillard
Stuff kills. Dump the stuff.
Old 08-13-14, 08:21 AM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdhillard
Stuff kills.
I own the copyright.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Keep Calm.jpg (26.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-13-14, 08:41 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
For me, the "getting ready to ride" ritual varies dramatically with the type of ride.

On my usual commute to work it's so quick and easy I don't even have to think about it.

On club rides there's a bit more to it, but not a lot. Well, unless I'm responsible for the route which makes a lot more details to chase!

Centuries, esp. if it's an early start (and it usually is) I do prep the cycling clothes and bike the night before.

Double Centuries, so many details that I actually have a clip-board and a check-list. It's usually a several hour drive to the start and I don't want to forget anything.

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-13-14, 08:49 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 65 Posts
Put on helmet, get on bike, go. If it's cold rainy, or snowing, add a few minutes to put on my overcoat, overpants, and Totes.
The bike has automatic dynamo lighting that turns on when its dark. I don't have to plan anything, because it's always the same trip. I don't give a rat's ass about speed, heartbeat or distance. No need for post-ride analysis, other than savoring the memory of a Bald Eagle swooping over the stream or making first tracks on a snowy morning. I started riding to work because it was more convenient than driving. If I had to do all you do, I'd just drive to work instead. The bike is a tool for getting to work with the minimum mental and physical effort.

On the other hand, it takes a while to preflight my airplane, so I know what it is like to enjoy a prep ritual. To each their own, and if you enjoy your ritual, why change it?
Old 08-13-14, 02:01 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much of the joy in doing anything is in the preparation, the actual event or destination can be anti-climatic. So don't discount the pre-ride ritual or the time required, just enjoy the entire process.
Old 08-13-14, 02:41 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post sounds like a person I know. After a dinner for four she doesn't wash the dishes. She will tell you she washed 4 forks, 4 knives, 4 spoons, 4 salad forks, 4 cups, 4 saucers, 4 water glasses, 4 wine glasses, 4 desert plates, 4 desert spoons, and so on and so on. I get the impression if she didn't count all that she wouldn't be nearly as tired. But then, maybe she enjoys thinking that way. After all self flagellation is a time honored path to spiritual purity, or so they say.
Old 08-13-14, 04:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
OK, I get it.

Your confidence will build with familiarity. I'm an old git, and I'm more cautious than I used to be, but I don't give the traffic a second thought. It's just what you're used to.
I'm like chasm in this - been riding since 5 yo and in the streets since about 10 or 12 yo (not sure), so on the streets for about 55 years. There's a lot of choices I just take for granted.
Old 08-14-14, 03:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
All the prep stuff is the hobby within the hobby. Most hobby's have little sub-categories of hobbies. Some cyclists are cycling advocates, some wrench, some are big-time club members, some do video, some are very detailed in the data collection (and/or sharing)....
That's a nice scheme to describe the population on BF.

The increased prep time in bad (cold or rainy) weather is for me a major, but not insurmountable detriment to that kind of riding, Often the preparations to be made are not apparent until the start of the ride for an early AM commuter.
Old 08-14-14, 06:13 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference between simple riding as a kid and now is that I rode in normal everyday clothes. Now we have bike-specific everything, including shoes.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 08-14-14, 06:25 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Dump the technojunk. Are you going for a ride or directing a feature film?
Make sure the bike is always ready to ride. Get on it and go. What's all the gadgetry going to do for you that memory won't?

Marc
Old 08-14-14, 09:46 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
The OP's list is only 7 items shorter than the checklist I used to "get out the door" for a 3 month tour, which included camping and cooking gear.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-14-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 10:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,590 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
[Snipped a very, long list]
Am I taking way too long to get ready, or is this somewhat normal?
Sounds normal for someone with OCD tendencies.
Old 08-14-14, 10:17 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
It is pretty straight forward for me, the bicycle is ready and sitting against the book case after the last ride, I wear a RoadID all the time, putting on my kit (deal with what I call it, please) takes me around 2 minutes, I grab my wallet and phone and slip them into plastic ziploc bags and put them in my jersey pockets, grab my helmet and gloves and fill a water bottle. I do the usual ABC check of the bicycle (air pressure, brake action and QR setting, check the chain's cleanliness and lubrication) and I am out the door. Usually takes me around 5-7 minutes from the time I decide its right for a ride and am gone. I do a thorough check and any maintenance after each ride when I get home. Its worked well for me so its going to keep getting done this way. No GPS or high end computer for me, I have a simple wireless C'Dale unit for mileage and elapsed time and its easy and straight forward,(or I couldn't use it to save my life.) There isn't any thing to do as far as it is concerned.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-14-14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 10:18 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Most of my "I'm going to ride now" prep time is just putting on the bicycling clothes. I feel up the tires, and if they don't feel too squishy, I'm out the door.

I'm too old and poor for modern electronics. So no GPS or fancy cycling computer/phone gadgetry, or even el-cheapo cycling computer for me. On the rare times when I plan a route that is unfamiliar to me, I do google-maps the day before, and use the zoomed in satellite view to get a good idea of what I'll see on the trip. I also use google maps to figure out how far I rode on my longer trips. How fast am I? I have no clue, and I'm actually happy with that.
Old 08-14-14, 12:22 PM
gdhillard

Bikes: 2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Most of my "I'm going to ride now" prep time is just putting on the bicycling clothes. I feel up the tires, and if they don't feel too squishy, I'm out the door.

I'm too old and poor for modern electronics. So no GPS or fancy cycling computer/phone gadgetry, or even el-cheapo cycling computer for me. On the rare times when I plan a route that is unfamiliar to me, I do google-maps the day before, and use the zoomed in satellite view to get a good idea of what I'll see on the trip. I also use google maps to figure out how far I rode on my longer trips. How fast am I? I have no clue, and I'm actually happy with that.
That sounds like "poor" in a really good way, to me. Life is a lot like swimming...how much do you want to carry?
Old 08-14-14, 01:54 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 2,704 Times in 979 Posts
Weekday, get up, get dressed, apple in the backpack, check cat's water and food, let cat in if he wants in, and go.

Weekend, check weather, look at map and figure out a destination that's kinda upwind so the return is sorta downwind, and go.

BTW: if the local flags tell me the internet was wrong about wind direction I may pick another destination or loop, or not.
Old 08-14-14, 08:49 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 442 Posts
Today's ride-- Ten minutes: 6 minutes to change clothes, put on shoes,helmet and gloves, fill water bottle, check tires, open garage door and pull onto the driveway;4 minutes waiting for my wife.