Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Co Workers must be jealous but, what do I do?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Co Workers must be jealous but, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 03:14 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Seriously? How offensive can you be?
Much more if I actually try

What's offensive about subliminal desires? Or *****exuality for that matter?

It potentially explains the double standard for males and females. Again, just obey the dress code though is what I'd do.
Old 09-09-14, 03:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,241 Posts
I second (or is it third?) the baggy gym shorts and t-shirt suggestion. If that doesn't work, go to HR and tell them you're confused by the apparent double standard, and ask them if it's a written corporate policy. If it is, remark how poorly that policy has been disseminated; if not, wonder aloud if your supervisor's actions are grounds for a formal complaint or grievance...
Old 09-09-14, 04:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Wearing skin tight cycling specific spandex costumes in public places looks silly and out of place... The complaint has nothing to do with bicycle commuting , the complaint has to do with dressing and clothing. I bet if you started wearing different type of clothing instead of that silly skin tight spandex, then nobody would complain about it. There is no need to dress like a TDF racer when commuting to work.
Old 09-09-14, 05:34 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I feel a bit odd, tooling around in my bike shorts so I get there early. Sometimes I feel I should wear my baggy gym shorts over...

But, well... So far only comments have been supportive.
Old 09-09-14, 06:37 PM
SkippyX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is no need to dress like a TDF racer when commuting to work.
I would think that depends on your location and your commute.

I live in Houston - which is frying pan hot all summer long. I ride ~14 miles one way. Mornings are warm & humid (75 degrees & 94% humidity). On the way home those figures reverse. Temperatures routinely reach mid-high 90's - sometimes topping 100 - with humidity hovering ~75%. I'm fat. My parents were both Norwegian immigrants. I was raised in upstate NY and never acclimated to the oppressive heat we get in Texas. Basically, I'm built to be in a snowbank, but live in an oven.

Cotton? Forget about it. That gets soaked and doesn't dry out. It just clings to me like a wet army blanket. It has got to be one of the most uncomfortable feelings in the world.

Proper kit doesn't do that.

Sure, there may be many who look at someone commuting in bibs & a jersey and say "TdF wannabe", but for me it's about doing the commute as comfortably as possible. If someone wears the kit in the kind of commuting environment I deal with I can certainly see why and don't think any less of him/her.

EDIT: you live in Toronto? Believe me, if you were in Houston, you'd be eyeballing the bibs really hard after about two weeks of my afternoon commute.
Old 09-09-14, 06:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Basically, there's no reason one shouldn't ride in whatever clothes are comfortable

I work at a university and absolutely no one would care. But I'm a bit surprised folks still care about it anywhere.
Old 09-09-14, 07:43 PM
oronzous

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Fuji Allegro, Trek 800, Oriigami Crane 7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you, man.
I just went from a workplace where i could bring the bike in my office, take a shower or just spend the day in shorts to a more formal place, without shower privileges.

I haven't heard complaints about me changing in the bathroom, however it is a quite uncomfortable task without even a hook, a hanger or a shelf where i could organize my stuff while changing.
Old 09-09-14, 07:45 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The Dutch are the cycling commuters par excellence and you will not see large numbers of Dutch commuters doing what the average American commuter does. This is important why? Well for one thing, if the commuting by bicycle can be done without huge impacts on time and ingenuity it will probably have positive effects on how long a person sticks with it.

The main impact on a bike commuter is the need for a shower or sponge bath before changing into office attire. Nix that. Invest in wool or high tech moisture transport fiber baselayers that make showering unnecessary. A shower at home in the morning should be sufficient to get a person through even a 20mi one way. Using shaving cream on the three hot spots during your morning shower followed by deodorant, guarantee that you will not be offensive at the office if you do not take another shower after arriving there.

In the best of all possible worlds a person will be able to wear what they ride in. That's how the Dutch do it.
Ah, I was waiting for the Dutch to get dragged into this discussion -- it's like the Godwin's Law of Internet bicycle commuting forums.

The U.S. is a big place, with many different climates. If you are an average human being venturing out on your bike on a nice, steamy, mid-August Baltimore/Washington area morning, magic wool clothing and riding at a "relaxed" pace is simply not going to stop you from sweating buckets within, oh, about 10 minutes or so. In some cases it might be repairable after you arrive with just some baby wipes, but you're probably going to have to sit around for a bit cooling off before the wipes will be effective.
Old 09-09-14, 08:14 PM
thelazywon

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R340, 2014 Specialized Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must say, this entire thread makes me so happy I live in Hawaii. If someone gave grief over cycling (or anything for that matter), they would be looked at like a bad work place citizen.
Old 09-09-14, 08:18 PM
Chuck16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless there are other issues with the job.
most of the time just come up with a simple solution to keep it out of sight,
and let it blow over.

In a couple days it will all be forgotten

don't feed the fire ........
Old 09-09-14, 08:24 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Buy the company then make spandex mandatory for all employees during work hours.

or not.
Old 09-09-14, 08:42 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by thelazywon
I must say, this entire thread makes me so happy I live in Hawaii. If someone gave grief over cycling (or anything for that matter), they would be looked at like a bad work place citizen.
It's like that here too, in my industry at least. Office dress codes are non-existent.
Old 09-09-14, 09:21 PM
jason_h

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One could look at it this way: showing off your junk in the workplace, simply because it is more practical for you, is insensitive to your fellow workers. Modesty is a virtue, it has always been a virtue among **** sapiens since at least the dawn of civilization, and it always will be. I would say it is just as bad for women to wear spandex in a work environment, as would be wearing yoga pants or skinny jeans. Most men, if honest, will agree that if they had a female boss or peer at work who wore clothes that put their goods on display, they would not see them as equals, but as sex objects. With men it probably is a bit different, however guys that wear tight clothes are usually either considered to be meatheads or dirty old men. Either way, don't be one of those guys.
Old 09-09-14, 10:53 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@SkippyX
Amen. Where did you grow up?
I am of Irish background and I never acclimated to even upstate NY summers. I love the winters and miss them but summers here in Vancouver are amazing.

@Mr. Hairy Legs. I love the no dress code at work, even though I dress in slacks and button ups. Only the owner dresses better. I could get by with my tights all day if needed

Last edited by joeyduck; 09-09-14 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-10-14, 04:34 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
@SkippyX
Amen. Where did you grow up?
I am of Irish background and I never acclimated to even upstate NY summers. I love the winters and miss them but summers here in Vancouver are amazing.

I grew up in a small town about 20 miles east of Rochester and 10 miles south of Lake Ontario. Vancouver, eh? You chose wisely.
Old 09-10-14, 06:36 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jason_h
One could look at it this way: showing off your junk in the workplace, simply because it is more practical for you, is insensitive to your fellow workers. Modesty is a virtue, it has always been a virtue among **** sapiens since at least the dawn of civilization, and it always will be. I would say it is just as bad for women to wear spandex in a work environment, as would be wearing yoga pants or skinny jeans. Most men, if honest, will agree that if they had a female boss or peer at work who wore clothes that put their goods on display, they would not see them as equals, but as sex objects. With men it probably is a bit different, however guys that wear tight clothes are usually either considered to be meatheads or dirty old men. Either way, don't be one of those guys.
Wow. Such morality around the darn clothes we wear for practical reasons. In addition to the meatheads and dirty old men, there are the ones that have no problem with the way God made us and don't care what people like you think about it.
Old 09-10-14, 07:30 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Wearing skin tight cycling specific spandex costumes in public places looks silly and out of place... The complaint has nothing to do with bicycle commuting , the complaint has to do with dressing and clothing. I bet if you started wearing different type of clothing instead of that silly skin tight spandex, then nobody would complain about it. There is no need to dress like a TDF racer when commuting to work.
And just how are you capable of knowing what the OP needs to wear while riding? Do you know how far he's going? Do you know what bike he's riding and why? Do you know what the weather is like that he's riding in?

No, you know NONE of that.

Yet you have to get a broadside in about "dress[ing] like a TDF racer".

What bothers YOU about someone "dress[ed] like a TDF racer"?
Old 09-10-14, 07:30 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jason_h
Gotta wonder why YOU think wearing cycling-specific clothing is "showing off your junk".

Why do YOU look there?
Old 09-10-14, 08:03 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The issue isn't whether people are jealous or offended or whether the OP's rights have somehow been violated. It's about what's appropriate. Cycling clothes are appropriate while cycling and office clothes are appropriate in the office.
Old 09-10-14, 08:10 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
And just how are you capable of knowing what the OP needs to wear while riding? Do you know how far he's going? Do you know what bike he's riding and why? Do you know what the weather is like that he's riding in?

No, you know NONE of that.

Yet you have to get a broadside in about "dress[ing] like a TDF racer".

What bothers YOU about someone "dress[ed] like a TDF racer"?

Well, cycling clothes need not be team jerseys. Mine are all solid colors, except for reflective stripes. So you can skip the racing associations if you wish.

But no one with any sense would say TDF wanna be about me, I'. currently around 5' 11'' and 240, most of that good weight...
Old 09-10-14, 09:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
In addition to the meatheads and dirty old men, there are the ones that have no problem with the way God made us and don't care what people like you think about it.
Of course there are "the ones" who have no problem offending the sensibilities of others, and don't give a fig about what other people, including their co-workers/customers/bosses think about their "God made" ways at their work site. Personal hygiene to include bathing, grooming, and dressing appropriately at a business (or public establishment) is not on the "God made" agenda, personal appearance and smell are all natural and sacrosanct.

Usually the co-workers/customers and bosses sensibilities will win out in time and the insolent/prideful character will be out on the street with their "God made" ways intact.
Old 09-10-14, 09:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The issue isn't whether people are jealous or offended or whether the OP's rights have somehow been violated. It's about what's appropriate. Cycling clothes are appropriate while cycling and office clothes are appropriate in the office.
Bottom line truth!
Old 09-10-14, 09:17 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
From the EEOC website:

Dress Code

"In general, an employer may establish a dress code which applies to all employees or employees within certain job categories. However, there are a few possible exceptions. While an employer may require all workers to follow a uniform dress code even if the dress code conflicts with some workers' ethnic beliefs or practices, a dress code must not treat some employees less favorably because of their national origin. For example, a dress code that prohibits certain kinds of ethnic dress, such as traditional African or East Indian attire, but otherwise permits casual dress would treat some employees less favorably because of their national origin. Moreover, if the dress code conflicts with an employee's religious practices and the employee requests an accommodation, the employer must modify the dress code or permit an exception to the dress code unless doing so would result in undue hardship. Similarly, if an employee requests an accommodation to the dress code because of his disability, the employer must modify the dress code or permit an exception to the dress code, unless doing so would result in undue hardship."

Workplaces are tribes, if the tribe decides you don't fit expect to lose that job in the long run. That's the simple truth.
Old 09-10-14, 09:24 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Just change at the gym like somebody mentioned about 20 posts ago. Problem solved.
Old 09-10-14, 09:33 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Of course there are "the ones" who have no problem offending the sensibilities of others, and don't give a fig about what other people, including their co-workers/customers/bosses think about their "God made" ways at their work site. Personal hygiene to include bathing, grooming, and dressing appropriately at a business (or public establishment) is not on the "God made" agenda, personal appearance and smell are all natural and sacrosanct.

Usually the co-workers/customers and bosses sensibilities will win out in time and the insolent/prideful character will be out on the street with their "God made" ways intact.
Read my earlier posts. I've already said that conforming to what the bosses want is the right thing to do. So what are we arguing about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.