Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what do you do with your keys and wallet when riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 05:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 382 Posts
+1 on the Zip lock bag for phone, key, credit card and a couple of bills.

But I don't bring my driver's license. All it takes is one time forgetting to take it out of the jersey, before you head to the airport, and you're SOL.

Road ID suffices.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-16-14, 05:44 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 356 Posts

In my youth I rode year after year, thousands of miles, all on tubular tires, no helmet, no keys, no ID, no phone(this was the 70's) and never had a problem. Didn't even think there could be a problem. A banana and a dollar bill in my jersey pocket. And a spare tire under my seat. Thats it. I miss those days.
Old 09-16-14, 06:08 AM
evrythngsgngrn
. . .

Bikes: '96 Wheeler 7980, 2013 SuperSix-4, 2013 Felt F75X, 2015 Apollo Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone said zip-lock bag in a jersey pocket yet?
Old 09-16-14, 06:13 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95% of my rides are from home so I have Road ID and phone is ziplock. So far have not needed anything else, I can get into the house through the garage keypad

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-16-14, 06:47 AM
silkroad

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got tired of using ziplock because the things tend to move around the rear pocket if it's not secured properly. I got a lezyne phone wallet for phone, drivers license and CC. Keys, pump, food and glasses, i try to get them secure before I leave the house. Flat/fix kit goes to the saddle bag.
Old 09-16-14, 07:00 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by silkroad
I got tired of using ziplock because the things tend to move around the rear pocket if it's not secured properly. I got a lezyne phone wallet for phone, drivers license and CC. Keys, pump, food and glasses, i try to get them secure before I leave the house. Flat/fix kit goes to the saddle bag.
Individual Ziploc for the phone in the left rear pocket, another one for the wallet in the right rear pocket. Tool pouch in the center pocket. Car valet key in the tool pouch.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-16-14, 07:23 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a cycling wallet which is a very thin flat wallet that has a clear front for a DL, a velcro pocket for some cash (usually about $40) and two slots in the back for cards. I don't carry my regular credit card but have a reloadable VISA gift card, not linked to any other accounts. The card can only be used to the limit of what is on the card and I keep that under $100 or so. I've never had any problem using it at bike shops, convenience stores or cafes, but I understand that some places won't take the reloadable cards. The wallet goes in my jersey pocket with my cycling key ring (car key, bike lock, garage and house on a simple ring to keep it as flat as possible). Cell phone also goes in a jersey pocket. On casual/recreational rides I usually wear trekking shorts over cycling liners which gives me two medium sized cargo pockets that velcro shut. I sometimes use them for the wallet and cell phone, especially if I wear a t-shirt instead of a jersey.
Old 09-16-14, 08:33 AM
Maver71

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Grand Touring 1999 Lemond Zurich 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert 1990 Schwinn Traveler 1984 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take my id and keys with me in my saddlebag, I dont trust my wallet being left in my car-

And debit card and cell phone. Sorry Ive been drinking lol

Last edited by Maver71; 09-16-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 08:37 AM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what about your purses
Old 09-16-14, 08:44 AM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left pocket - phone. (in zip lock if wet weather or sweat is expected). Center pocket-bundled up inner tube, little rocket pump, DL bills, key and CC if needed. Right pocket-food and other stuff if needed. I keep the inner tube in a ziplock and rubber banded to the pump. I keep the DL, CC and bucks bagged and banded to the tube/pump so it would be felt if it fell out and the rubber bands make the bundle "grippy". Crank bro 17 in 1 tool, tube patch kit, KNC masterlink and levers under seat in molded kydex blister that tucks in tight to the bottom of the seat.

I never put important stuff in pockets with stuff you might pull out while riding of have is be "small". This is when most things get lost I think. while fumbling around for a gu you inadvertently pull up the car key or money clip with the back of your hand. Being bundled to something I don't go for much and big enough to feel is key for me. Phone pocket gets phone only as it seems to ring when most inconvenient.

MTN. Everything in a camelback.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 09-16-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 08:56 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Road ID wristband for identification.

Wallet and keys in truck if I drive to where I am riding...electronic keypad entry to truck.

If riding from home, electronic entry to truck to raise and lower garage door.

Have a cheap flip phone in seat bag for emergencies. So far all the emergencies have been for someone else, and they seemed grateful as they had nothing for contacting anyone.
Old 09-16-14, 09:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
RoadID
Cell and some cash in a ziplock under the saddle
Key on the saddlebag

Wallet in the trunk.

The reason the cell is not in the back jersey pocket is protection from sweat and falling out.
Old 09-16-14, 09:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
In my pocket, every ride. Which pocket depending on what I'm wearing.

I have a garmin-like stem mount for my phone to protect it from my corrosive sweat.
Old 09-16-14, 09:31 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Snack size Ziploc bags rule!
Driver's license, health insurance card (to register at the hospital), debit card (to pay the co-pay), and some cash for food in one; iphone in second; house key in saddle bag.
Old 09-16-14, 09:37 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
My ID, credit card and some cash are in a nice little nylon cycling wallet (in jersey pocket) provided by a bike club at a recent century. It has a zipper pocket that I stash the valet key in when I have to drive to a ride. My normal weekday morning ride I don't need a car or house key since I have a keypad entry to open the garage door. I don't like the whole idea of putting it in the saddle bag for 2 reasons, it's full with tube, CO2, tire lever and a small baggie for the phone in case it rains (so basically there is no room) and 2: if someone snags the saddle bag at a rest stop I still have my ID and credit card.
Old 09-16-14, 09:46 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
+1 on the Zip lock bag for phone, key, credit card and a couple of bills.

But I don't bring my driver's license. All it takes is one time forgetting to take it out of the jersey, before you head to the airport, and you're SOL.

Road ID suffices.
That's a reason why I don't take my DL separately. I know I won't head to the airport without my wallet. The way I see it, I'd want to have my ID, at least one CC, possibly an ATM card if I need cash, my Health card just in case, some cash, and hey, why, not, a couple business cards because you never know who you'll meet on the ride, and that's pretty much all that I carry in my wallet anyway.

Does your Road ID have your health insurance details on it?

I need to find my Road ID.
Old 09-16-14, 10:01 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Phone same place it always is, front right pocket of my shorts.

Keys usually same place they always are, front left pocket of my shorts. Sometimes I stuff them in the back of the under seat bag (I was a little shocked at how small these bags are, keys barely fit with a spare tube and tire levers only.)

No driver's license, no credit card, no cash. I'm not out to go shopping and don't need a card or cash. I'm no where near any sort of store anyways.

Ok, I don't ride centuries, events, organized rides, or compete. Nor do I wear cycling attire. If I know I'm going to be 2 hours, I'll wear my cycling shorts under the cargo shorts. All I'm doing is going out for an hour or 2 of exercise. 2.5 hours is pretty much the most I care to ride. That doesn't get me anywhere close to a store usually. I'm usually not in the market to buy a couple bales of hay off the farms I ride past when I'm on the bike.
Old 09-16-14, 10:21 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Harry
Just tucking such things in my back jersey pockets would never do [loss of keys or wallet would be major], plus the sweat would get to them.
I've never lost anythnig from my jersey pockets, and a ziplock or a small plastic wallet keeps things dry. How are you riding that makes things fall out of your jersey pockets?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-16-14, 10:24 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by Vicegrip
I never put important stuff in pockets with stuff you might pull out while riding of have is be "small". This is when most things get lost I think. while fumbling around for a gu you inadvertently pull up the car key or money clip with the back of your hand. Being bundled to something I don't go for much and big enough to feel is key for me. Phone pocket gets phone only as it seems to ring when most inconvenient.
Right pocket = phone, middle pocket = gels or bars, left pocket = everything else. I only reach into my right and middle pockets while I'm riding.

Old 09-16-14, 10:55 AM
Nick94804

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DL, credit card, insurance card, and two twenties in a money clip, cell phone, keys. Phone in center, ID in right,Key in left.
Old 09-16-14, 11:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I've never lost anythnig from my jersey pockets, and a ziplock or a small plastic wallet keeps things dry. How are you riding that makes things fall out of your jersey pockets?
+1
Old 09-16-14, 12:19 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a minimalist wallet to begin with, which gets tucked in with my phone and car key into a Lezyne Caddy Sack (small sized) which then gets stuffed in my right jersey pocket.

Left pocket gets flat kit in a similar Lezyne Caddy Sack.

Center pocket for gels, tights etc

Old 09-16-14, 12:23 PM
bbbean 

I found a picture of the OP. This may explain a few things: https://img.sparknotes.com/content/sp...flip_Large.jpg

Old 09-16-14, 12:46 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big chainring
In my youth I rode year after year, thousands of miles, all on tubular tires, no helmet, no keys, no ID, no phone(this was the 70's) and never had a problem. Didn't even think there could be a problem. A banana and a dollar bill in my jersey pocket. And a spare tire under my seat. Thats it. I miss those days.
+1
Old 09-16-14, 12:58 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I use and it goes in my jersey pocket.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
18401.jpg (19.3 KB, 22 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.