Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Okay....so why is BB30 such crap?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Okay....so why is BB30 such crap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 06:18 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks very much!
Old 10-20-14, 06:34 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I read this article, it sounds like BBright is only used by Cervelo and one other company. Makes me wonder if it's such a great design for weekend riders. I know I'd never buy another cervelo with it. Tho my cervelo has had other issues. I guess the two specialized bikes I've owned bought from same place as the cervelo have spoiled me in that they've had no issues and have performed perfectly right out of the box.

Complete guide to bottom brackets - BikeRadar

Originally Posted by Campag4life
To clear a few things up, if your mechanic is removing bearings from cups, then you will likely have an issue.

Here a simple breakdown. There are really only 3 areas an integrated BB like you have can creak...only 2 with BB30 btw:
1. Outside of bushing to inside of frame shell
2. Outside of bearing to inside of bushing
3. Improper crank preload.

It really is that simple. Press in bearings into plastic cups can easily cause a problem. So you want to eliminate no.2 above by having the outside of the bearing bonded to the inside of the larger bushing. Yu want integrated bearing into cups as shown here which is the correct BB for your bike:
Rotorbike

Available in either steel or ceramic bearings. Save your money and get steel but if you want the best, then get ceramic...little difference.

If you note in the picture, the bearing is bonded to the larger OD bushing. That is what you want. This sub assembly won't creak.

So all you need your mechanic to do is buy a computer and following the following link:
https://bbright.net/BBrightTM-Press-Fit-Instructions.pdf

This shows the correct Loctite to install the correct BB. Be sure your mechanic knows what clean means. The BB shell has to be immaculate and then use a primer to get the Loctite to stick.

The crank should be installed immediately before the Loctite sets up to ensure alignment of bearing bores.

Now your mechanic has to figure out how to adjust the mechanical preload of your Rotor 3D+ crank. It isn't hard but maybe it escapes him.

People that struggle with these BB's miss one of more of the above steps.

HTH
Old 10-20-14, 06:34 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
BBright is fine for weekend riders. Your Cervelo is a Porsche and not a Kia. You need a Porsche mechanic.
BBright is simply stretched PF30 which is one of the most common BB's on race bikes.
Btw, I am a Specialized guy and a small related tidbit is Specialized abandoned their version of PF30 for 2015....only BB30 and threaded BB's in their product line. PF30 is more problematic when using separate BB30 bearings and plastic bushings. Why I spent some time going over this distinction. Integrated bearing/bushing solutions like the Rotor BB I linked are much less problematic...only need to silence the bushing OD to the BB shell ID.

Hope you get it sorted. A last note. If something is lost in the translation a bit between your mechanic and you and he did purchase the correct BB for you cranks with 'integrated' bearings i.e. bearing OD and larger outside bushing bonded together. Then have him uninstall the BB and start over. Start with alcohol to clean all surfaces of the BB and use the correct Loctite. If he is popping the bearing out of the bushings or used a separate bearing and bushing BB, discard it and get the one I linked from Rotor. Maybe find another mechanic that knows how to install BBright properly.
Good luck.

Last edited by Campag4life; 10-20-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 10:28 AM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group ride this past weekend. Guy on a Tarmac much like mine but louder. Rest of the group giving him good natured grief and going on about spesh and creaky bottom brackets. At the first water in out stop I ask the guy if his rear skewer was tight. He checks it and tightens it a bit and the junk bottom bracket stopped creaking. Go figure.
Old 11-02-14, 12:19 PM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I might be getting the creak already on my bike that is less than three months old. Is that possible?I sense the front forks are creaking a bit and I can’t say for sure, but I believe it’s the BB 30 too.I have been putting some miles on it and it’s recently gotten much cooler here if that plays any role.

Last edited by Fastfwd01; 11-02-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-02-14, 12:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I might be getting the creak already on my bike that is less than three months old. Is that possible?I sense the front forks are creaking a bit too and I can’t say for sure, but I believe it’s the BB 30 too.I have been putting some miles on it and it’s recently gotten much cooler here if that plays any role.
Problem is you have multiple forks. If you only had one fork, it would be dead silent. Just pulling your leg.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-04-14, 08:15 PM
xscottypx

Bikes: 2014 Focus Cayo 3.0 / 2000 specialized stumpjumper M4 / 2013 All City Big Block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Yup...that is an effective BB for mounting an external bearing crank to a BB30...but Wheel mfg spacers work very well also.
Either solution will work fine. Ultegra cranks tend to work very well with BB30. A primary reason is the design of the crank with one piece spindle which has adjustable preload...lateral adjustment of non drive arm on the spindle spline...whereas the majority of BB30 cranks have a fixed spindle length and rely on wave washers for axial preload which require a bit more effort to set up properly...and a major source of issues with BB30...people don't use not enough care in set up.

if i wanted to swap the FSA crank out with a ultegra 6800, what all would i need to complete this?
Old 03-08-16, 02:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I might be getting the creak already on my bike that is less than three months old. Is that possible?I sense the front forks are creaking a bit and I can’t say for sure, but I believe it’s the BB 30 too.I have been putting some miles on it and it’s recently gotten much cooler here if that plays any role.
Yes, it's possible the BB is creaking already. I have a Felt Z85 with the BB30 and it is not 'robust' (I'll get crap for saying this on this thread). We rebuild the BB30 after 1200 miles and it started creaking again last fall. After some spring riding (wet and messy), I'm going to have it rebuilt again about 1800 miles after the first rebuilt. It appears I will need to have this BB rebuilt every other year. I will avoid this style BB on any new bikes I buy.

On the other hand, my "heavy" Shimano BB-UN54 (threaded BB) has nearly 14,000 miles, 5 to 6 years of riding in ALL conditions (snow, rain, gravel, pavement, hot, cold, ...).

My follow up question: since I hear creaking/popping BB on other bikes all the time (the ones I pass when I'm riding*), are you damaging anything by letting the BB creak? I don't like it, my bikes should be quiet, only noise is the wind in your ears.

* I'm always passing other riders, 'cause I'm fast. /joke
Old 03-08-16, 03:19 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Yes, it's possible the BB is creaking already. I have a Felt Z85 with the BB30 and it is not 'robust' (I'll get crap for saying this on this thread). We rebuild the BB30 after 1200 miles and it started creaking again last fall. After some spring riding (wet and messy), I'm going to have it rebuilt again about 1800 miles after the first rebuilt. It appears I will need to have this BB rebuilt every other year. I will avoid this style BB on any new bikes I buy.

On the other hand, my "heavy" Shimano BB-UN54 (threaded BB) has nearly 14,000 miles, 5 to 6 years of riding in ALL conditions (snow, rain, gravel, pavement, hot, cold, ...).

My follow up question: since I hear creaking/popping BB on other bikes all the time (the ones I pass when I'm riding*), are you damaging anything by letting the BB creak? I don't like it, my bikes should be quiet, only noise is the wind in your ears.

He posted that over two years ago, man. And why he wasn't permanently banned after his comment on 13 Jan like I would have been, I'll never know.
Old 03-08-16, 03:24 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Lazyass
He posted that over two years ago, man. And why he wasn't permanently banned after his comment on 13 Jan like I would have been, I'll never know.
HA! Clearly I'm not good at see/reading the details. I thought this was from last fall. (this is a regular problem, I suck at reading, long story for another thread)

However, I wanted to post to this thread, the one that got me started on BF back in 2014. So ignore my quoting the banned user... and focus on my experience. Thanks!
Old 03-08-16, 03:25 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
HA! Clearly I'm not good at see/reading the details. I thought this was from last fall. (this is a regular problem, I suck at reading, long story for another thread)

However, I wanted to post to this thread, the one that got me started on BF back in 2014. So ignore my quoting the banned user... and focus on my experience. Thanks!
He's not banned. He just should be.
Old 03-08-16, 03:30 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Lazyass
He's not banned. He just should be.
I just re-read and was about to edit, sorry, but you see my problem with reading. Nearly every post I have will show an edit, since I do my best proof-reading after clicking 'post'. And even then the post is likely going to have errors.
Old 03-08-16, 06:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 834 Posts
I just re-read and was about to edit, sorry, but you see my problem with reading. Nearly every post I have will show an edit, since I do my best proof-reading after clicking 'post'. And even then the post is likely going to have errors.
We might be related. I suffer a distinct disconnect between my brain and my two typing fingers.
Old 03-08-16, 06:45 PM
Blue Church2

Bikes: 2015 Trek Madone 62cm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kind of funny, but I also have a Z85 (2014) and had many issues. I'm not a super strong rider, but I ended up having to replace the entire crankset after having it tuned up. The threading that goes through to the crank was bent out of shape - practically broken. Replaced the chain rings as well. I now have a FSA SL-K Light carbon crankset running 52/36 and it's been fine now.

It it sucks to have BB30, but I hope that there won't be any problems in 1,000 miles.
Old 03-10-16, 01:54 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I got word back from my mechanic that there's sand in the BB shell. It's a mess, but should be OK with a rebuild. I find it interesting that the Felt with BB30 is basically a "dry-bike", riding in wet conditions it more than it can handle. I'm interested to know if this is general experience with the BB30, dry conditions only?

I ask this with honestly, it's possible that my mechanic (as much as I like and trust him) may not be the best one to work on this bike. This shop doesn't see a lot of press-fit BB.
Old 03-10-16, 01:58 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Has any major manufacturer reverted to threaded?
Old 03-10-16, 02:20 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I know that Felt changed back to threaded BB on the Z85 - new models have the Shimano Hollowtech II. Additionally, not all press-fit BB are created equal. My understanding is that the PF30 is better than the BB30. The tolerances on the BB30 are very tight since the bearings are pressed directly into the frame and this causes issues. IMO the BB30 is not the correct component for entry-level to mid-level bikes. For these bikes, you'll never notice the additional stiffness or the weight savings the BB30 offers.
Old 03-10-16, 02:47 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Not sure how "major" you consider them, but the All City Mr Pink was PF30, but the latest model is threaded. Of course, as a steel frame this probably reflects the slightly more "luddite" nature of the intended audience.
Old 03-10-16, 03:47 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I got word back from my mechanic that there's sand in the BB shell. It's a mess, but should be OK with a rebuild. I find it interesting that the Felt with BB30 is basically a "dry-bike", riding in wet conditions it more than it can handle. I'm interested to know if this is general experience with the BB30, dry conditions only?

I ask this with honestly, it's possible that my mechanic (as much as I like and trust him) may not be the best one to work on this bike. This shop doesn't see a lot of press-fit BB.
The sand didn't get in through the bearings or their interface with the BB shell. It got in through a hole in the bottom of the shell or from above down the seat tube. Maybe even by running down inside the chainstays. What harm the sand could do to sealed bearings I can't imagine. The Felt may let sand and water in, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 03-10-16, 04:02 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The top end Pinarello Dogma F8 went back to an Italian threaded BB shell.

All these pressfit BBs are a pain.
Old 03-11-16, 07:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The sand didn't get in through the bearings or their interface with the BB shell. It got in through a hole in the bottom of the shell or from above down the seat tube. Maybe even by running down inside the chainstays. What harm the sand could do to sealed bearings I can't imagine. The Felt may let sand and water in, but that shouldn't make any difference.
I can see your point, but still don't see how it all gets in there. The truth is that I haven't looked for sand in the BB shell of the threaded BB bikes.

The BB was creaking/cracking and that's why it's at the shop and found the shell full of sand. You're correct, they might not be related. On the other hand, the BB30 was creaking and cracking after less than two years and 1800 miles. That seems like a short life. I understand you can ride with a BB30 creaking/cracking and not damage anything but your ears. That's not how I roll. So is the BB30 for dry rides only? Or do I need to go to a shop that has more experience with BB30 - would they be able to get a longer life out of a rebuild?
Attached Images
Old 03-11-16, 08:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

I can see your point, but still don't see how it all gets in there. The truth is that I haven't looked for sand in the BB shell of the threaded BB bikes.

The BB was creaking/cracking and that's why it's at the shop and found the shell full of sand. You're correct, they might not be related. On the other hand, the BB30 was creaking and cracking after less than two years and 1800 miles. That seems like a short life. I understand you can ride with a BB30 creaking/cracking and not damage anything but your ears. That's not how I roll. So is the BB30 for dry rides only? Or do I need to go to a shop that has more experience with BB30 - would they be able to get a longer life out of a rebuild?
You've read the "instructions" here for rebuilding a BB30 setup, the procedure using Loctite 609 preferably with primer/accelerator on a well cleaned surface. Convey that is what you want to your shop. If they balk, go elsewhere. Or if you think they will nod and then not do it, go elsewhere.

But it needs to be said, that even without creaking due to the cartridges moving in the shell, the bearings don't last as long in BB30 as in threaded outboard cups. 1,800 miles doesn't sound so bad to me if it is the internals of the cartridges that have gone bad. It is expected. It is the creaking due to the whole cartridge rubbing that ought to be able to be permanently prevented.

Oh, and before you do anything else, you should open up the cartridges (in place) and see if they need to be regreased. Your problem could be as simple as that.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 03-11-16, 08:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You've read the "instructions" here for rebuilding a BB30 setup, the procedure using Loctite 609 preferably with primer/accelerator on a well cleaned surface. Convey that is what you want to your shop. If they balk, go elsewhere. Or if you think they will nod and then not do it, go elsewhere.

But it needs to be said, that even without creaking due to the cartridges moving in the shell, the bearings don't last as long in BB30 as in threaded outboard cups. 1,800 miles doesn't sound so bad to me if it is the internals of the cartridges that have gone bad. It is expected. It is the creaking due to the whole cartridge rubbing that ought to be able to be permanently prevented.

Oh, and before you do anything else, you should open up the cartridges (in place) and see if they need to be regreased. Your problem could be as simple as that.
Thank you for the feedback!
Old 03-16-16, 03:26 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I got the Z85 back on Saturday and have been out a couple times with it. It is solid after the rebuild, no creaking/cracking.

This is meant to be funny, I'm sure somebody with get upset... sorrynotsorry

(Posted by Drunkencyclist on Facebook).
Attached Images