Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

so what's the purpose of shoes with clips?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 07:05 AM
TheGMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is a stupid question, but I don't know what they do and was wondering if they were just for road bikes or if they are for hybrids also. I wear sneakers when I ride and my feet almost feel glued to the pedals. I would think wearing clips would be a hassle if you had to stop and put your feet down, but I've never worn them so maybe not.
Please educate the noob.

Last edited by Mark Stone; 10-19-14 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling in title
Old 10-18-14, 08:02 AM
saeyedoc

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that mainly they get your feet in the same position every time, with no slippage. I bought two sided pedals so I could ride with regular shoes, but only used that side once. Once you go clipless, it's hard to go back. I did a couple dumb 0 mph falls at first, but now I just unclip when approaching certain spots and it's become second nature.
Old 10-18-14, 09:48 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGMan
I wear sneakers when I ride and my feet almost feel glued to the pedals.
If your feet feel almost glued to the pedals it seems like you must be pushing down significantly even with the foot that's on the upward part of your pedal stroke. So that foot is actually resisting your pedaling motion. Using toe clips (or clipless pedals/shoes) lets you reduce that downward force with the foot that's moving up and become a little more efficient. Yes, you do have to remember to pull your foot out of the clip when stopping but that becomes second nature pretty quickly.
Old 10-18-14, 10:05 AM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think the longer the ride, the more you'll appreciate clipping in. It makes for a more efficient pedal stroke. It also psychologically "connects" you to the bike. On the downside, I thought I had mastered the unclipping motion until I was caught at a stoplight with a crowd at the end of my second day of a MS150 ride. There's no greater feeling than toppling over at 1 mph in front of 20 other riders waiting to cross a light.
Old 10-18-14, 10:50 AM
TheGMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I guess I've got to try the clips and get the feeling to see what it's like. Most of my daily rides are in the 13-15 mile range and I rode 28 miles last Sunday so it's not like I'm going on 50 mile jaunts.

Side_FX, I nearly spit out my food picturing that. Might've won some money on a TV show if you had a video
Old 10-18-14, 03:22 PM
supaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I guess I've got to try the clips and get the feeling to see what it's like. Most of my daily rides are in the 13-15 mile range and I rode 28 miles last Sunday so it's not like I'm going on 50 mile jaunts.

Side_FX, I nearly spit out my food picturing that. Might've won some money on a TV show if you had a video
Dont worry, if you get them you will do the same fall. I had them on a road bike Inhad a few years back, coming to a stop, unclipped my right foot, leaned too far left and fell over haha. Hurt my pride. I just got a hybrid to ride again and I will eventually get them.
Old 10-18-14, 05:23 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Bicycle pedal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clipless pedal debates are mostly flame wars. I'll point to a neutral source. Sheldon Brown site might also have similar data.
Old 10-19-14, 10:18 PM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL...I almost did a 0 MPH fall today. I was coming to a stop to inspect my front brake. Forgot I was clipped in and panicked. Luckily I got unclipped fast. There are also different types of clipping systems. I use Speedplay Frogs and they are really easy to clip in and get out. Although some may not like the system I use. With this system, there is 20 degree of "float". Some say they get a walking on glass feeling.

Anyway, I tried clipless before but only for short rides. I just recently thought, I'd try them for longer rides. So far, I have done 3 rides and about 60 miles. I've decided that I like them. I like them a lot. I'm not sure what it is but I feel like my Quads are less tired. On the other hand, I feel like my hamstrings are more tired. It's probably from the upstroke. However, I will say that I'm not any faster than I was. My legs just feel less tired and climbing hills now seems easier. It could be psychological, but whatever, as long as it works
Old 10-19-14, 10:51 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just about everyone has at least one 0mph fall while getting used to them... it's an issue of training muscle memory, you forget you are clipped in until it's too late to regain your balance. Those falls are a badge of honor. LOL I would never go back to a pedal that I can't clip into. I especially appreciate the security when I'm standing up and pedaling. I like being able to pull the pedal up at a stop, in anticipation of starting again. I ride mtb style recessed clips so that I can actually walk around in my cycling shoes. I like having a dedicated pair of shoes to wear when I'm riding.

Some people will also tell you that you use more muscles and share the load since your foot/leg on the upstroke can pull up on the pedal while you push down on the other side. I personally subscribe to this view, at least to an extent. I say this in a separate paragraph because it's one of those statements that turns into a fight/flamewar and is highly debated, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by headloss; 10-19-14 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 11:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 203 Posts
I like being able to pull up on the upstroke. Some of my bikes have snap-in pedals with mechanisms that accept a cleat screwed to the bottom of my cycling shoe (80's vintage technology). My most recent purchase was an entry level hybrid/touring bike that came with the older technology toe clip and nylon strap holding my foot on the pedal. I wouldn't ride without one or the other.
Old 10-21-14, 09:19 AM
Sunny2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also like the Speedplay Frogs, easy in and out. Usually people who try clipless never go back.

I just did the stupid fall a few weeks ago, how I forgot, I don't know, bruised my ego...
Old 10-21-14, 10:16 AM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunny2
I also like the Speedplay Frogs, easy in and out. Usually people who try clipless never go back.

I just did the stupid fall a few weeks ago, how I forgot, I don't know, bruised my ego...
After the first couple of months and 1 or 2 falls, you will probably never fall again.

I had Shimano SPD, then SPD-SL, and now Speedplay Light Action. They were all pretty good but in terms of engaging the cleat, was easiest in the order I just listed.

And it's not only the cleat, the hard sole of bike shoes adds to your power transfer greatly. Don't be surprised if you are 1-2mph faster.
Old 10-21-14, 10:20 AM
Copper_head

Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a half dozen 0 mph palm bruisers....
I wouldn't go back though. Even though I previously had very aggressively spiked platforms, there was still a fatigue factor in play in keeping my feet properly on the pedals the longer I rode, coupled with lower leg and foot soreness. Being clipped in eliminates the stress on my lower legs trying to hold proper position on the pedals.
I believe some people are more graceful and gifted athletically where this is not a factor for them but for me it is a huge benefit.
I'm using the Shimano pedals that have a platform side as I occasionally hop on for short distances in regular shoes. Two things that could be improved for me is proficiency in clipping in AND out, also falling all over the place because of the cleats on the bottom of the shoes sliding and grinding on the pavement.
Old 10-21-14, 11:14 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I know this is a stupid question, but I don't know what they do and was wondering if they were just for road bikes or if they are for hybrids also. I wear sneakers when I ride and my feet almost feel glued to the pedals. I would think wearing clips would be a hassle if you had to stop and put your feet down, but I've never worn them so maybe not.
Please educate the noob.
I'm guessing you're actually asking about "clipless" systems and not old school clips and straps.
I've been using clipless pedals for a few years now and prefer them over standard pedals. My
feet don't slip and are always in the right place. Once you get used to them for a while, you don't
even notice that you're clipping in and out - it just happens automatically. If you're happy with your
shoes and pedals; I would suggest to stick with them. Clipless pedals can be installed on any kind of
bike; hybrids, road, utility, mountain, etc. I have them on my folding bike(Xpedo R Force):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5V...6zPoymgKaIoDLA

And on my roadbike(Speedplay X/2):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-rQ...IoDLA&index=14

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 10-21-14 at 11:16 AM. Reason: wrong video
Old 10-28-14, 01:56 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Copper_head
I'm using the Shimano pedals that have a platform side
I just bought some new pedals (platforms) but was considering these since they were the same price and would be there the day I decide I might go clipless.

But what stopped me is not knowing which side would be facing up? Is there some type of weight in them to make one side always face up? and can you choose what side?

Last edited by John Redcorn; 10-28-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 03:56 PM
Copper_head

Bikes: 2000 Trek 7200, 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Redcorn
I just bought some new pedals (platforms) but was considering these since they were the same price and would be there the day I decide I might go clipless.

But what stopped me is not knowing which side would be facing up? Is there some type of weight in them to make one side always face up? and can you choose what side?
Old 10-29-14, 09:10 AM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean, will one side default to being up when your foot's not on it.

Regular platform or regular clipless you don't care because it's always going to be the "right" side but do you have to fumble with making sure the right side's up every time you go?

Does that black collar-thing in the pic by the spindle do something like that?
Old 10-29-14, 10:01 AM
dru_

Bikes: Fuji Absolute, Cannondale CAAD10, Orbea Ordu m-30, Cannondale Jeckyl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the hybrid, I prefer a MTB style clip, while for both my road and trip bikes I use Speedplays. IT comes down to the shoe they go on. For commuting on the hybrid, the MTB style shoes are far easier to wear "off the bike" than road style where you duck walk.

That said, after 20 years with clips, I'm not sure I could ever go back to a flat pedal. The whole motion feels wrong now.

Oh and the Low Speed Tip Over? pretty much every rider does it at least once while learning
Old 10-29-14, 11:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Whats the purpose of shoes with clips ?

Sales of both new Shoes and new Pedals .. if what you have works for you, Fine.

Been There Done that, I tried clip in systems years ago.

I leave them off now as I dont need them for the utility-commuting riding I do now ..

For my Multi Month Bike tours I liked the Toe clip strap stuff I used before the Ski binding stuff came to Bikes .

Look was a Ski company 1st..

because I could wear looser more confortable shoes On The Bike.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-29-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Does that black collar-thing in the pic by the spindle do something like that?
No , it is how the whole axle bearing assembly is screwed into the pedal Body , same subassembly is common to many of Shimano's SPD Pedals.

the pedal hangs heavy side down.
Old 11-02-14, 08:01 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
After reading this I tried an experiment today. I usually use SPD clipless on my Sirrus, Platforms on my MTB. Put the platforms on the Sirrus and rode with my five-ten shoes. 29 miles, speed was as my normal. Fussed a bit getting foot in right spot on pedal, but shoes GRIPPED the pinned platforms. So no advantage right?

SO I then put the clipless pedals on and shoes and rode another 12 miles. No faster per say but seemed much easier, also foot in right spot all the time. I will stay with clipless for the road bike. MTB I am still a platform guy as I am a rookie MTBer and am convinced I would get in trouble clipped in.
Old 11-04-14, 04:27 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have used clipless and toe straps. I prefer either over no clips at all, but of the two systems I prefer toe clips. Both improve my performance but the toe clips work just as well as the clipless for me. I decided to stick with the toe clips because I really didn't like the clipless shoes when not on a bike. I also have special shoes for my toe straps - they used to sell them back in the day. They have a smooth stiff sole and a stiff covering over the toe. Much better than sneakers and just as comfortable when walking off the bike. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 11-04-14, 04:36 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I find that mainly they get your feet in the same position every time, with no slippage. I bought two sided pedals so I could ride with regular shoes, but only used that side once. Once you go clipless, it's hard to go back. I did a couple dumb 0 mph falls at first, but now I just unclip when approaching certain spots and it's become second nature.
Those 0 mph falls are real ego boosters. I did one years ago riding with my son. To say I was embarrassed would be an understatement.