Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are snobs against seatbags, frame bags, and/or handlebar bags?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are snobs against seatbags, frame bags, and/or handlebar bags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 05:32 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Saddle bags are the truck nuts of road cycling.
How so?
Old 10-31-14, 07:52 PM
RickBlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
I ride 200km plus at night in the middle of nowhere most weekends. There is no one who could help me. I carry two spare tubes, a mulitool with a chain breaker, spare master link, three tire levers, a small tube of lube, 4 zipties, a roll of electical tape, and small pocket knife. On top of that I have two 300 lumen flashlights on the bars, a Garmin, a lock around my waist, a 100 lumen intense tail light (usb) and an aaa powered backup. I carry 3 sets of spare batteries for my front lights as I need them all night. Spares for the mp3 player and small speaker I have to keep myself company, and also the rear lights. I have a solar panel for especially long trips and two chargers that can connect to it. One for liion batteries and one for aa/aaa either can function as a stand alone phone or gadget charger. I keep an extra set of liion batteries to charge the phone, speaker, or rear light. I take a small wall wart dual usb charger for camping trips with power available as its faster. Run hyrdos so I only carry one spare gear cable.

On the rack I have a topbag with fold out panniers. I keep my charging kit, food, some spare layers, a small towel, any extra water I might want for the ride. Does it weigh a lot? For sure. Am I ever stuck? Nope. It would take a frame, hub, or massive spoke failure to stop me from getting where I want to go. Add a tent, and money to restock I can be off the grid for days. Just the way I like it.

Right there with you. Sometimes I find a nice spot that just needs for me to spend the night. I like having the option.

I like to ride slow and take it all in. Some days I start off on a ride to nowhere and find as dusk starts to set in I have gone 100+ miles and the road is still calling to me. Exploring the side roads, the "blue lines", keeps me out for "just one more day".

I do not look down on those with "the need for speed" that must be in the right outfit and race against the clock. There is room for all of us on the road. Or should I say a road for all of us. I just prefer the road less traveled.

My riding buddy. She is happy to travel the same road I do.
Old 10-31-14, 08:02 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Cue
I see some bikes here don't even have a saddle bag. And the posters say they put their tools in their back pockets. Yeah, I got pockets too, but I much rather have my bike carrying the stuff than on myself.

For example, my seatbag carries the tools, tubes, and patches. My handlebar bag carries the riding essentials such as wind breakers, warmers, gloves for when it's cold. My back pocket is for the keys, cash, phone, and food. I'm getting some frame bags so I don't have to carry the food on long rides in my back pocket.

Each to his own but it's dumb to carry all this stuff in your back pockets so your bike can look "pro".
A lot of people don't see the need to bring emergency tire repair, extra tubes, CO2 cartridges etc. Ignore them. I guess they think someone would be happy to drop what they are doing to pick them up when they blow a tire. I even bring SRAM quick link in case I break a chain, which I have done and was really happy to have had a SRAM quick link.
Old 10-31-14, 08:17 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBlane
Right there with you. Sometimes I find a nice spot that just needs for me to spend the night. I like having the option.

I like to ride slow and take it all in. Some days I start off on a ride to nowhere and find as dusk starts to set in I have gone 100+ miles and the road is still calling to me. Exploring the side roads, the "blue lines", keeps me out for "just one more day".

I do not look down on those with "the need for speed" that must be in the right outfit and race against the clock. There is room for all of us on the road. Or should I say a road for all of us. I just prefer the road less traveled.

My riding buddy. She is happy to travel the same road I do.
Someone with some sense. You should post more often.
Old 10-31-14, 08:17 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You don't like the way my seat bag looks? Sorry, I must have forgotten to give a damn

I will admit to color matching my bags to my frames.

Last edited by GravelMN; 10-31-14 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 09:21 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,220 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
only an ahole would ride far from home, like say 30 miles, and not carry equipment for the most obvious breakdowns. Going well prepared requires enough stuff to need a bag and on top of that, all the personal stuff like food and clothing is plenty for the pockets. It's smply dumb to cram it all into pockets. idiotic. it is just uncomfortable.
In all my riding, I haven't needed anything except a tube and CO2/mini-pump except when I started and had a crummy bike. The seat post snapped once and the front skewer broke another time. I don't think anything in a pack could help.
Old 10-31-14, 09:26 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
...... they would rather pocket one tool kit rather than outfit each bike in their possession with multi-tools, patch kits, etc - it can add up.

So I suppose I am spearheading the d-baggery but a $50 investment for a bag and tools on a $2000 bike doesnt seem too extreme.

but hey it takes all types to make the world go around.
Old 10-31-14, 09:39 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Really?
I ride with guys that speed along at 45kmh with seat bags.
So I put one on!
Old 10-31-14, 09:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked 7,915 Times in 4,208 Posts
Originally Posted by ricohman
Really?
I ride with guys that speed along at 45kmh with seat bags.
So I put one on!
That's where they keep the motor.
Old 10-31-14, 10:29 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
You don't like the way my seat bag looks? Sorry, I must have forgotten to give a damn

I will admit to color matching my bags to my frames.
Nobody cares about your bags.

Originally Posted by catonec
So I suppose I am spearheading the d-baggery but a $50 investment for a bag and tools on a $2000 bike doesnt seem too extreme.

but hey it takes all types to make the world go around.
I spent more than $2K on my bike and usually don't feel compelled to use a saddle, bar or other type of bag

Originally Posted by StanSeven
In all my riding, I haven't needed anything except a tube and CO2/mini-pump except when I started and had a crummy bike. The seat post snapped once and the front skewer broke another time. I don't think anything in a pack could help.
Two words: Duct tape.
Old 10-31-14, 10:33 PM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If this thread is any indication, it is going to be LONG Bike Forum winter . . . !

Old 10-31-14, 10:50 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
A good rule of thumb is that the larger the bag, the more the guy rides. If there's no bag at all, it's safe to assume that the guy rides about thirty miles a week, all on Sundays, and never more than five miles from the nearest Starbucks.
Old 10-31-14, 11:13 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my small saddle bag and medium TT bag. werks gud!!...at least it fits everything I need....havent tried it yet
Old 10-31-14, 11:22 PM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
....I spent more than $2K on my bike and usually don't feel compelled to use a saddle, bar or other type of bag......
You are definitely much cooler than me.
Old 10-31-14, 11:33 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
I spent more than $2K on my bike and usually don't feel compelled to use a saddle, bar or other type of bag
There was a guy who had a flat on a fancy tarmac. I offered him a patch because it was a LITTLE hole and he said no because he could not stand to think his expensive bike was riding on a patched tire.

I asked him if he had an extra tube

He said "does it look like it? Do you have one?"

I said yes

He happily said "can I have it?"

And I said no, clipped in and rode off.

I am all for helping bikers who need it, but only when they are accepting. If his tire had a gaping hole, I would have given him a tube, no problem.

And no he did not have a saddle bag
Old 11-01-14, 12:41 AM
The B
(retired from forum)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
A good rule of thumb is that the larger the bag, the more the guy rides. If there's no bag at all, it's safe to assume that the guy rides about thirty miles a week, all on Sundays, and never more than five miles from the nearest Starbucks.
What an absolute load of crap. I've dropped to 130 miles a week since the weather went to ****, and you won't find a single bag anywhere on my bike, nor even a pocket full of ****. I carry a skinny lever, a Park patch thingy, and a Lyzene.
Old 11-01-14, 12:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked 7,915 Times in 4,208 Posts
Originally Posted by The B
and a Lyzene.
What's Lyzene? Cough syrup?
Old 11-01-14, 01:32 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I don't feel like I need to carry a lot of items when I ride. I change my tires regularly and do the routine maintenance required. I also live in an area with an abundance of bike ahops. I broke a bottom bracket spindle on a ride. I rode about 4 miles to a bike shop and got it replaced while I waited. Broke a saddle on a ride 20 minutes to a bike shop, new saddle and back on the road. There are three bike shops within 5 miles of me, A trek store, a Performance, and a high end boutique bike shop.
Old 11-01-14, 01:43 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Why? Cause we're snobs silly.
Old 11-01-14, 01:55 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the 41 keeps on delivering!
Old 11-01-14, 04:54 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Roadies want to look like the pro's. The pros don't have any bags (because they have an entire support vehicle following them). Thus it's "uncool" to have bags.
Pro cyclists also train when they don't have a support vehicle following them, like when they're at home or at their home-away-from-home during the season. They commonly carry their spare tubes and such in a seat bag, and it's not unusual to see a frame-mounted mini-pump on their training bike. This causes fits of the vapors on the Velominati site.

I'm cool enough that I don't have to worry about looking cool.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-01-14, 05:21 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
What's Lyzene? Cough syrup?
My kind of post!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-01-14, 05:33 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get wearing the 'right' kit to be cool. I get buying nice bikes. I don't get not carrying basic spares. A tube, tire levers, and a multitooll are hardly heavy. If you don't want a pump you can use co2 - again hardly huge. Would you drive your car without a spare wheel or a basic tool kit?
Old 11-01-14, 05:45 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
I get wearing the 'right' kit to be cool. I get buying nice bikes. I don't get not carrying basic spares. A tube, tire levers, and a multitooll are hardly heavy. If you don't want a pump you can use co2 - again hardly huge. Would you drive your car without a spare wheel or a basic tool kit?
It's not clear whether you are for bags on the bike or not. You are right about the need to carry basics. Remember that lots of "no bag" folks have posted about how they DO carry all that stuff, but in a back pocket pack. Personally I carry two tubes, 3 CO2 carts, the CO2 inflator, pre-glued patches, Allen wrenches, compact standard and Phillips driver combo, tire levers, and spoke wrench. I have never needed anything related to chain maintenance and don't bother with that. All fits nicely in an airline amenities pouch and in my back jersey middle pocket. Wallet on the right, phone on the left. I buy something to eat if I need it. One kit goes on any bike I am riding. Done and done.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-01-14, 05:49 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
M.y answer would be ' it depends'. On short 2 hour ride on a roadbike I don't carry much and I'm likely to be wearing a cycling Jersey. I do prefer on touring or utility bikes to have a tool kit in a bag (saddle/triangle depends on the bikes specs) on each bike. Not expensive and you never forgot to bring it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.