Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trailer hitch bike carriers and fenders...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 03:25 PM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I'm looking into mounting a trailer hitch to my car (2007 Honda Fit) for the purpose of using a hitch mounted bike carrier. I'm looking at the type that supports the bikes by the wheels, as this seems like the most versatile and probably the least damaging for the bikes.

These are the three models I'm looking at right now:

I was wondering if anyone had opinions or preferences between the three. The Kuat is a bit more expensive but the integrated bike workstand seems like a really neat touch... otherwise it's hard to know which is better.

There is one issue, which is fenders. While the carrier would mostly be used for mountain bikes, I'd like to be able to carry my touring bike at some point, and it has metal (aluminum) fenders:

Does anyone know if any of these carriers would be able to clamp the front wheel forward enough to clear the fender?

The guy I spoke to at REI was adamant that I should just clamp *on top of* the fender, and that it would bend enough to hold the wheel, but that sounds like a horrible idea and just the kind of bike abuse that I want to avoid with this type of carrier!

Thoughts?
Old 11-02-14, 03:35 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I LOVE the Kuat NV so much that I bought 1.25" one for use on my cars, smart for two, Fiat 500C and my audi TT roadster and the 2" with the add-on for my motorhome (to carry both our Mtn & road bikes on tours). The quality of the racks are super and Kuat's support is like NO other on the market. I had a lock problem 2 years in on the original rack and they replaced the locking cables for free including shipping. I can't say enough good about the company and the products..... but they are $$$
Old 11-02-14, 04:06 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use one of these carriers from Nashbar that I got specifically for carrying bikes with fenders. It works great and only cost about $100 on sale.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike rack.jpg (104.1 KB, 247 views)
Old 11-02-14, 04:11 PM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The top tube clamping carriers do avoid the fenders, but most of our bikes have top tube routed cables, making that a bit iffy. Clamping the wheels seems to make the most sense overall... which I why I want to know about the fender issue.
Old 11-02-14, 04:12 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
I LOVE the Kuat NV so much that I bought 1.25" one for use on my cars, smart for two, Fiat 500C and my audi TT roadster and the 2" with the add-on for my motorhome (to carry both our Mtn & road bikes on tours).
So would the clamping arm on the front wheel work OK if you tried clamping to a spot on the wheel that was 6-8" further forward?
Old 11-02-14, 04:20 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by robo
So would the clamping arm on the front wheel work OK if you tried clamping to a spot on the wheel that was 6-8" further forward?
I don't know about that. You might be better off calling the kuat support line in the morning. They could tell you the best way. 877-822-5828 and you will actually reach an American English speaking LIVE person. Good luck with your choice. I looked all over the place before putting down the cash on these racks and have had many, many other ones over past 40 years of riding. This is the best I have ever used.
Old 11-02-14, 05:08 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah - i've sent them an email. Hopefully will hear back soon!
Old 11-02-14, 05:58 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Yeah - i've sent them an email. Hopefully will hear back soon!
Let us know what you find out. I didn't think those tire holders would work with fenders which is how I ended up with the top-tube clamper.
Old 11-02-14, 10:23 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 203 Posts
I'm looking into mounting a trailer hitch to my car (2007 Honda Fit) for the purpose of using a hitch mounted bike carrier. I'm looking at the type that supports the bikes by the wheels, as this seems like the most versatile and probably the least damaging for the bikes.

Thoughts?
This doesn't really answer your question at all, but I want to suggest you don't need a wheel supporting rack, although I am not the decider here. I have no experience with the high dollar bike racks of which you speak, because I bought a simple top tube supporting bike rack from Harbor Freight for $40. It has some soft red rubbery cushions on the tube supports that have straps to hold the top tube, and I use a U-lock to hold the down tube to the vertical tubing on the rack. I'm sure I could augment that vertical tube with some padding, but it works as is. I have had no problems. I use some additional ties on front and rear wheels to keep each secure on longer trips, tied to the spoiler on the trunk lid of my Camry. It isn't real stylish but it works and it's cheap.
Old 11-03-14, 12:48 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-question.html
Old 11-03-14, 09:17 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hm.. Don't like that idea at all. It's still pressing down on the fender, with or without some foam padding...

BTW, I heard back from Kuat, and they said it probably wouldn't work with the fendered bike.

Maybe we'll just go with one of they types that pushes down on the top tube instead. I dislike the idea of racks that attach to the frame, but it might be the best we can do... and they're cheaper.
Old 11-04-14, 05:29 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

...Maybe we'll just go with one of they types that pushes down on the top tube instead. I dislike the idea of racks that attach to the frame, but it might be the best we can do... and they're cheaper.
I was thinking... Maybe you could put a top tube adapter on your mountain bikes so the rack doesn't mash cables routed on the top tube or touch the frame at all. You could probably even fit one on your Rivendell above the top tube if you don't want to risk damaging the paint on that beauty. Just an idea.
Old 11-04-14, 10:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 1,239 Posts
The top tube clamping carriers do avoid the fenders, but most of our bikes have top tube routed cables, making that a bit iffy. Clamping the wheels seems to make the most sense overall... which I why I want to know about the fender issue.
I've been using a top tube clamping carrier for 8 years now without any problems.
Old 11-04-14, 12:52 PM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I was thinking... Maybe you could put a top tube adapter on your mountain bikes so the rack doesn't mash cables routed on the top tube or touch the frame at all. You could probably even fit one on your Rivendell above the top tube if you don't want to risk damaging the paint on that beauty. Just an idea.
Yep, I was thinking about this. A piece of leather or sheet rubber inserted between the cables and frame would probably do a decent job of protecting the bike. The top tube hook is really just to stop the bike bouncing up or falling over while being carried - the bulk of the weight is still on the wheels.
Old 11-04-14, 10:20 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I have the Yakima hold up 2
two of my bikes have fenders
I just locate the clamp right up in front of the fenders
The arm on the Yakima is ratcheting so there is some play in it some times it does end up rubbing on the front lip of the fender
but it hasn't done any damage
I have used It a couple of times a week for about a year now
but I do have Planet bike plastic fenders

Oh and I really like it
very easy FAST loading /unloading

Last edited by Bent Bill; 11-04-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 01:06 AM
47p2

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had been looking around for a suitable carrier for the bikes and decided to fit a towball mounted carrier.
Here in the UK reviews for the Atera Strada were all excellent so SWMBO bought me this for my Christmas last year.

I've used it several times and it is a great bit of kit

Old 04-21-17, 03:03 PM
priort

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would love one of these Atera Strada rack in Canada....

I suppose I could order one and have it shipped over I would just have to get a Euro stem for the receiver on my hitch...They look amazing..
Old 04-21-17, 05:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 787 Posts
I use one of these carriers from Nashbar that I got specifically for carrying bikes with fenders. It works great and only cost about $100 on sale.

We have a Yakima that works like this. It is sold as heck and no worries. But it does have a tendancy to scuff the top tube, especially in the dusty environment we live in....

... and the problem is worse with these cables that are on the top of the top tube. It is a little kludgy, but an easy solution is to simply protect the frame from the cables at the point the support clamps down on the top tube. The clamp does not harm the cables in the least.

To protect - with or without the cable issue - I have some heavy duty (heavier than normal) duct tape which I just put on the top tube where the clamp is going to be and it solves the problem. It's just takes an inch or two and of course you can take it on and off. I just leave the roll in the vehicle I normally use the rack with.

Without the cables, some regular, heavy duty clear frame protector material will do, or regular thickness duct tape.

I have tried things like a rag, etc, and that will work in a pinch. But, especially if you're going on a dusty road, it seems like dust would work its way under the cloth and I'd get some abrasion. The tape is fool proof in that regard.

But it needs to be much thicker than normal duct tape, especially with the top-routed cables.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-21-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 08:42 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I use a Top Tube type as well. Just go buy a foam "Pool Noodle", cut off about a 6" piece, and slit it down the side. The foam piece can then be slipped over the top tube and the clamp applied to the foam.

I've also use a piece of foam pipe insulation but the pool noodle works better. They cost about $3 or less each and come in handy for all sorts of things.
Old 04-22-17, 07:48 AM
cvskates

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbf909
I use a Top Tube type as well. Just go buy a foam "Pool Noodle", cut off about a 6" piece, and slit it down the side. The foam piece can then be slipped over the top tube and the clamp applied to the foam.

Reading through this thread I was going to suggest the same thing until I saw you beat me to it (I have to admit I felt quite clever when this occurred to me). This is how I protect the top tube on my CF triathlon bike.

Pro-tip: pool noodle also works great for the rollers on bed frames to prevent you from bashing your toes on them
Old 04-22-17, 03:17 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Pool noodles are useful for all sorts of things. They are great for packing somewhat fragile and/or heavy items for shipping. When local stores often put them on sale for $1 each, I pick up a few.

I've used them for padding between frames hanging on top tube hanger hitch racks for years. I've never seen a scratch or scuff from using them. I've carried bikes on hitch racks on 1000 mile+ plus trips through rain and never had an issue.

Last edited by dbf909; 04-22-17 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 03:27 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That looks pretty cool. I see that you posted some time ago; if you're still around, do you still like this setup?
Old 04-23-17, 06:58 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by supton
That looks pretty cool. I see that you posted some time ago; if you're still around, do you still like this setup?
Yes. I used the same setup (same car same bike) to drive to a 200k about 70 miles away yesterday. I only use it 4-5 times a year, so I can't really speak to the durability, but it's just about perfect for the way I'm using it.
Old 04-23-17, 12:55 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks!