Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 06:24 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
yep
excellent...first time I've really ever looked at my training in any detail. Time to make heads or tails of it and develop a plan.

Last edited by hack; 11-19-14 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 06:44 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
excellent...first time I've really ever looked at my training in any detail. Time to make heads or tails of it and develop a plan.
yes. On CA you can also check your time in zones/week and look back at times you were feeling good/doing well to see what your mix was preceding those races.
Old 11-21-14, 09:50 AM
no sweat
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay... so I'm new to training with power, and relatively new to training in general.

What I've got is a Kurt Kinetic trainer with inRide (steady state power) and a long Winter with which to amuse myself.

My question is: suppose you find yourself with low anaerobic power relative to ftp (per Coggan's famous chart) and decide to do something about this. How quickly do you find can you bring up your 1 min. power? Is this typically a matter of adding a short interval set once a week and this "takes care of itself" in a month or two, or should I expect a real battle?

ewang numbers fwiw: ftp 250, 1 minute 478 (so roughly 25% under Coggan's chart, based on a not very extravagant ftp in my case). I'm 79 kg. If I were race fit, I'd be 75 kg. I'm 53, just finished my first season back on a bike in a couple decades. A lot of jra, but generally with as much intensity as I can muster (Z3 syndrome ftw!). Hope for next year or so is build performance across the board, but no plans to race at this time.
Old 11-21-14, 10:17 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by no sweat
Okay... so I'm new to training with power, and relatively new to training in general.

What I've got is a Kurt Kinetic trainer with inRide (steady state power) and a long Winter with which to amuse myself.

My question is: suppose you find yourself with low anaerobic power relative to ftp (per Coggan's famous chart) and decide to do something about this. How quickly do you find can you bring up your 1 min. power? Is this typically a matter of adding a short interval set once a week and this "takes care of itself" in a month or two, or should I expect a real battle?

ewang numbers fwiw: ftp 250, 1 minute 478 (so roughly 25% under Coggan's chart, based on a not very extravagant ftp in my case). I'm 79 kg. If I were race fit, I'd be 75 kg. I'm 53, just finished my first season back on a bike in a couple decades. A lot of jra, but generally with as much intensity as I can muster (Z3 syndrome ftw!). Hope for next year or so is build performance across the board, but no plans to race at this time.
Its pretty hard for me to raise my anaerobic power, and many I talk to largely claim its very dependent on genetics. Of course we have no control over that but because of it, the shorter stuff varies from person to person. Like you, 1 minute power is an issue and I have to work at it. I like to do intervals twice a week, sometimes working on a fast spin, or consistent power.

For me, 1m power is the hardest to test because if you mess up the jump or gas too early the numbers are way off.
Old 11-21-14, 11:25 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have very good one minute power. It's what keeps me in the P/1/2/3 fields at 57 and winning Masters races. I believe that the base of this power is genetic, however it is the first thing to decline after the season is over and has to be built back up every year. The key workouts I use are over under based, because multiple one minute efforts are often required when racing and without recovery you are off the back. The key with any of these types of workouts is avoiding rest. Drop right into the lower power. This is what builds recovery both physically and mentally. I don't test one minute power often because it can be inferred from workouts or longer tests. How much and how often depends on your schedule and target events.
Old 11-21-14, 11:41 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I have very good one minute power. It's what keeps me in the P/1/2/3 fields at 57 and winning Masters races. I believe that the base of this power is genetic, however it is the first thing to decline after the season is over and has to be built back up every year. The key workouts I use are over under based, because multiple one minute efforts are often required when racing and without recovery you are off the back. The key with any of these types of workouts is avoiding rest. Drop right into the lower power. This is what builds recovery both physically and mentally. I don't test one minute power often because it can be inferred from workouts or longer tests. How much and how often depends on your schedule and target events.
What would one of these workouts look like and at what frequency are you doing them (and how early into the season)?
Old 11-21-14, 11:41 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,464 Posts
For you power junkies below is the power profile for one of the interval sets from last nights track session. The power meter is Garmin Vector and the L/R was 42/58. I am usually 49/51 L/R so who knows why it was different tonight. The dots are the Left % of the power contribution. The speeds are approximately 23 mph, 25 mph and 27 mph for the three intervals. You can see the change in speed by the cadence changes. I had two juniors (~14 years old) in front of me. The racer immediately in front of me was a girl with a CdA of about .9. However, she could really jump and just crushed the jump at the beep plus she just killed the black line and never gapped the junior in front. Great wheel to follow.

Old 11-21-14, 01:06 PM
furiousferret

@Hermes; I've had to deal with a lot of left right balance discrepancies due to my sciatica. Try doing some basic stretches and see if there is any tightness in your left leg. For me, if my sciatic nerve is tight it affects my power balance. It also may just be from being in a velodrome and pushing harder on the outer leg.
Old 11-21-14, 02:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by furiousferret
@Hermes; I've had to deal with a lot of left right balance discrepancies due to my sciatica. Try doing some basic stretches and see if there is any tightness in your left leg. For me, if my sciatic nerve is tight it affects my power balance. It also may just be from being in a velodrome and pushing harder on the outer leg.
IMO, the L/R thing for me is about accelerations. I am right leg dominant but under more steady state conditions, the balance is very close to 50/50. If I do a lot of standing starts, where I start with my left leg, then then I have seen L/R track sessions at 60/40 L/R. Last night during the interval sets there were 48 accelerations. I probably used my right leg more.

Some of the stuff I have read on right / left leg balance is that most athletes have a dominant leg it is probably a bad idea to try to make them the same.
Old 11-21-14, 02:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Below is an interval set from Tuesday Track Session. L/R was 49/50. Go figure.

Old 11-21-14, 03:37 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
What would one of these workouts look like and at what frequency are you doing them (and how early into the season)?
They come in different shapes and sizes. One might be an hour at tempo with a 30 second all out sprint every 3 minutes. All out on the trainer is more of a form sprint to maintain stability. Another one could be an hour going at 95% of FTP for five minutes followed by five minute at 110% of FTP. Another could be an hour at SST with a minute at 110% every three minutes, followed by five all out sprints at the end. I do these kinds of workouts throughout the season. I start the season with base and strength work, so not much of this stuff until build and beyond.
Old 11-21-14, 04:50 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Below is an interval set from Tuesday Track Session. L/R was 49/50. Go figure.
CA is great, right? Have you looked at the time-in-zones or other flexicharts?
Old 11-21-14, 07:12 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
yes. On CA you can also check your time in zones/week and look back at times you were feeling good/doing well to see what your mix was preceding those races.
that stuff is so blended (even for a workout much less a week) that i personally have not found much predictive use in that measure. it's definitely descriptive, though. (i don't use CA but have gotten to that type of info in other ways, e.g. the free SRM desktop software does this.)
Old 11-21-14, 09:51 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
They come in different shapes and sizes. One might be an hour at tempo with a 30 second all out sprint every 3 minutes. All out on the trainer is more of a form sprint to maintain stability. Another one could be an hour going at 95% of FTP for five minutes followed by five minute at 110% of FTP. Another could be an hour at SST with a minute at 110% every three minutes, followed by five all out sprints at the end. I do these kinds of workouts throughout the season. I start the season with base and strength work, so not much of this stuff until build and beyond.
Right on. Thx much!
Old 11-21-14, 10:54 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Ygduf
CA is great, right? Have you looked at the time-in-zones or other flexicharts?
I like CA a lot. Yes, I have used the flexicharts and time in the zones. I have not been able to figure out how to increase TSS. For example, if I do gym work worth 50 TSS how do I input it into CA?
Old 11-22-14, 05:30 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Hermes
I like CA a lot. Yes, I have used the flexicharts and time in the zones. I have not been able to figure out how to increase TSS. For example, if I do gym work worth 50 TSS how do I input it into CA?
I've manually tacked them on to my ride, adjusting my TSS and noting the weight session in the title. However, that really isn't a solution. For what its worth, the creator of CA is pretty receptive to ideas and you can send him an email for a feature and he'll usually get back to you.

Last edited by furiousferret; 11-22-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 07:41 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I be checking/changing something if my Relative Intensity Factor is never above .8 on my rides? I rode really hard yesterday for a long time and my IF is .76 and looking back over the past at hard group rides or short threshold+ intervals, my IF never gets above .8.

I use golden cheetah and I even recently lowered my critical power by 3% but frankly it is probably back up at this point. None the less, this small change shouldn't effect the numbers that much.

Help?
Old 11-23-14, 07:46 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test.
Old 11-23-14, 07:57 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, I have some time off soon that I can get out to test.
Old 11-23-14, 08:05 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your comments just point to a classic case of training by RPE to an old, inflated FTP. You can guess your way there, or you can suffer for 20 minutes and get a decent idea.
Old 11-23-14, 08:21 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, a few weeks ago I did a 20 min interval and taking 95% of that would put put me a few watts above where I have it now. But I will test again.
Old 11-23-14, 08:29 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
Well, a few weeks ago I did a 20 min interval and taking 95% of that would put put me a few watts above where I have it now. But I will test again.
How long are your rides relative to the actual hard sections of them, and how hard are you actually going? When you say really hard do you just mean you're hammering, or is it structured? If it's unstructured, I doubt you're doing much more than tempo for most of it, so your IF makes sense to me. I think the only rides I'm ever above .8 on involve a lot of intervals over the course of rides 1.5hrs or less in duration.
Old 11-23-14, 08:47 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That very well could be the case. It's hard to determine RPE for someone, especially over the interwebs.

The 20 minute interval, for it to approximate a test, you would have to be rested, warmed up, paced for 20 minutes as hard as you can, and the first interval in your set. If it's close to that, then maybe you are in the ballpark, and it's more a function of what TKP is getting at. I admit that I do not train as hard as I race in terms of IF. My biggest numbers are race numbers, unless it's build season and my FTP needs to be adjusted up. That doesn't count.

Last edited by shovelhd; 11-23-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 09:13 AM
beatlebee 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of what Penguin wrote. These hammer fests are certainly unstructured but I feel wasted afterwards.

My concern is that my overall training stress might be off because of this. I seem to be hovering around a TSB of 0 even though I am still riding 12+ hour weeks with at least one interval day thrown in and one hard day on a group ride or in the mtns. Last year, my TSB fluctuated much more.

Shovel: that's just it. I wasn't well rested or even planning a "test." So if anything that number was low, I would guess. *edit* Doh, I just thought about this for a minute. So my FTP could be close, if not good enough, and that is what is making my IF low always because I simply am not going hard enough long enough right now.

Last edited by beatlebee; 11-23-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 09:24 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I think people have a tendency to underestimate how hard sub threshold workouts can feel if the duration is suitably long. Though Iadmit I'm fairly new to power I believe tsb is simply the difference between atl and ctl, so if your ctl has been stagnent and your atl is basically what your ctl is, then the tsb makes sense as well. Fwiw my atl ranges from 120 to 75ish depending on the time of week, and tsb fluctuates accordingly. It sounds like in your case your intensity is fairly balanced across the whole week, and that your typical training week load has been pretty consistent for the past few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.