Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road rash or ruined clothing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Would you rather have road rash or have your cycling clothing destroyed?
Pain sucks. Let the clothing be torn up rather than my skin
73.08%
Being broke sucks. I'll heal, but my gear won't
23.08%
Beats me
3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Road rash or ruined clothing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-14, 10:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
I broke 13 bones with very little damage done to my clothing, until the EMTs got ahold of me. They love to cut clothing off of people.
They sure Do.

Bruised my brain. No other damage. They cut the straps on a special back pack, cut up my favorite jersey and under shirt.

Old 11-23-14, 10:04 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
They sure Do.

Bruised my brain. No other damage. They cut the straps on a special back pack, cut up my favorite jersey and under shirt.
they even cut my arm warmers off. They couldn't just roll them down?
Old 11-23-14, 10:27 AM
Acquaspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they even cut my arm warmers off. They couldn't just roll them down?
In the ER Doctors forum, there are probably a couple threads titled "When you get patients wearing nice expensive looking clothing/gear, do you cut it off?"

And I can imagine answers ranging from "need a clean slate to work" to "... yeah, cut it off, do you want him coming back with a malpractice suit? How is this a serious question?.."
Old 11-23-14, 10:37 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Clothing does nothing for impact. But it provides surprising protection in a slide. Mine has a number of times, including this last fall.

I once melted some midweight tights in a slide without shredding them. That was actually pretty cool, even though I sustained burns underneath that took awhile to heal. In most cases, I'm happy for what the clothing can do for me even if it sacrifices itself in the process. But if the gear is expensive and the road rash is ordinary, I'd rather be a uncomfortable for awhile.
Should have been more clear. I also want built in armor in the hips.
Old 11-23-14, 10:41 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Those look intereting, but I sometimes throw on a pair of "soccer sliders" like these for the mountain descents. It's like MTB downhill shorts but alot less bulky.
Dual layers of lycra helps too.

Why can't they build something like this in to bibs?!?
Old 11-23-14, 12:36 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I broke 13 bones with very little damage done to my clothing, until the EMTs got ahold of me. They love to cut clothing off of people.
I had a full zip jersey on so the EMT's didn't do any cutting. They even slipped the bib straps off rather than cut them. Both are still wearable.
Old 11-23-14, 01:14 PM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fear no bicycle induced road rash. I've crashed motorcycles both with and without a leather suit. Any speed under fifty mph isn t gonna result in anything too horrifying in the road rash department. Above that, you want leathers.

The real danger is hitting solid objects or getting your extremities tangled up.

Remember if tumbling, arms in. If sliding, spread eagle.

And never try to stand until you completely stop sliding. You will fall back down.
Old 11-23-14, 01:16 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They do, don't they? I'm embarrassed to admit that I've had both a leather suit and a brand new leather jacket cut off after motorcycle accidents. Took a while to repair the broken bones, but in neither case did I spill a drop of blood. You can't exactly sew leather moto kit back together, but you can't ride on the track without it.
Speaking of which, since I sold the moto, anyone interested in a size 40 BKS suit (got as replacement, but never wore)? No road rash even at 190 mph!

Last edited by kbarch; 09-29-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 01:40 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLvector
I had a full zip jersey on so the EMT's didn't do any cutting. They even slipped the bib straps off rather than cut them. Both are still wearable.
I had a CSC jersey that Jens gave me cut off after face planting even though I rode six miles off-road at night with one eye blinded with blood.
Old 11-23-14, 03:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
you are talking like we have a choice. Whether you get road rash or shredded clothing isn't something you can really control. Sometimes you get one or the other, sometimes you get both, but there's little that you can do to prevent one or the other.
Sure, you're right. I wouldn't have even started the stupid thread. But OP and everyone who responded to the poll were acting like they could make a choice. I just wanted to make sure they knew what the right choice was...IMO.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 11-23-14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 03:33 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

People worry more about infections than they should. For many years, I never bothered to even clean wounds, let alone sterilize. In my entire life, only two infections got out of control and required medical care. Granted, both times were a real pain (literally and figuratively) and it took surprisingly long to recover which is why I clean wounds now. Those two times were extraordinary and I got chewed out at the hospital for not having come in for treatment when the injuries for first sustained. With ordinary wounds, risk is low even if anything could happen.

Infections are your body's way of isolating harmful things. So long as the infection stays local, you're fine, though healing times go up dramatically.
Some folks around here probably think I post the worst medical advice on the whole BF. I have always believed otherwise, but have been unable to prove my opinion. Thanks for posting the above and settling the issue in my favor once and for all. My medical advice is NOT the worst posted on BF, not by a long shot.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-23-14, 04:04 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Sure, you're right. I wouldn't have even started the stupid thread. But OP and everyone who responded to the poll were acting like they could make a choice. I just wanted to make sure they knew what the right choice was...IMO.
This is a stupid poll, and I think I pointed that out in my first post.

I have had many wrecks that are relatively minor, and a few major ones. If my minor ones just resulted in simple road rash, I'd be okay with that.

The question was road rash or ruined clothing.
Old 11-23-14, 06:39 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilWeasel
Remember if tumbling, arms in. If sliding, spread eagle.
Coming from someone on a motorcycle, okay. On a bike it's very rare to tumble long enough to think about pulling arms in.

However I'd caution anyone on a bike to think seriously about trying keep their arms to their side when falling. You can heal from a broken wrist or something but if you keep your hands/arms in then you risk damaging something much more significant. The instinctive reaction of putting your hands out is something that protects your head, sometimes at the cost of an injured limb or something else. It's well worth it. My sample size is just n=1 but I wish it were n=0.

In one crash I did slide for a bit then tumble for a long time after falling off the bike, but I wasn't versed in what to do or not to do. However other than some minor road rash (I did put a hole in some tights, the sleeve of a long sleeve jersey, and, most disappointingly, in the shorts of a skinsuit I was wearing as a base layer) I was surprisingly intact. I was actually going to ride back home but the emergency vehicles arrived, it started getting dark, and I decided to call for a ride back. What's even worse is that this was in the era before helmets so all I had on my head was a cap. Whatever I did instinctively didn't hurt me, that's for sure.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-23-14, 06:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
Is nobody aware of the danger of infection, which I am pretty sure does not affect clothing, but only skin? Road rash is incredibly dangerous because it opens up so much area to infection. And dirt and grime are being ground into the wound makes everything worse. You never know when you are going to encounter an antibiotic-resistant bacterium or worst of all, a flesh eating one. If I could sacrifice clothing every time I crashed and never have to worry about road rash, I would take that deal in a NY minute. I have scraped skin in a crash that was infected in a matter of hours. I'm glad for the 24 hr emergency medical clinics all over Houston. They are worth every cent they charge in a situation like that.

Just like everything else about cycling, you shouldn't be buying/wearing cycling clothes that you can't afford to ruin and replace. You don't have that choice with skin. There is not one square inch of it that you can afford to ruin and replace. It is all precious. Get your heads on straight folks. This is serious business.
Sounds like I am lucky to be alive. I have so much scar tissue on my knees and ankles I have about a dozen hairs there total.

You don't have that choice with skin. There is not one square inch of it that you can afford to ruin and replace.
My body has probably replaced a square foot of more. That would be a 144 of those square inches. (Does it count if you replace the same patch twice?)

Ben
Old 11-23-14, 07:25 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The original question was road rash or clothing. If the question were injury or clothing I don't think there would be any debate. However, many here (including myself) don't consider road rash to be an injury, just an inconvenience which doesn't keep us off the bike.
Agree. Broken bones, damaged muscles etc they are to be avoided. But, given the choice between lost skin and trashed kit I choose skin. It will grow back and it won't stop me from riding. Now on a motorcycle? I wear armor and leather over that. Its not cheap, but the three times I did lose it (ice, stupidity, and a truck) I was barely even bruised. Sadly you can't wear all that and still ride a bike...
Old 11-23-14, 07:57 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Some folks around here probably think I post the worst medical advice on the whole BF. I have always believed otherwise, but have been unable to prove my opinion. Thanks for posting the above and settling the issue in my favor once and for all. My medical advice is NOT the worst posted on BF, not by a long shot.
Any path you choose has certain risks associated with it. Under most circumstances, reducing risk involves opportunity costs of some sort. Screwing around with treatment, dressings, etc is a PITA so if the cost of not doing that is acceptable, that's still a reasonable path.

There is absolutely no reason to be concerned about regular surface injuries until something goes wrong. The two times I got infections were larger deep wounds that normally would have been stitched up. In one of them, you could see the bone so I really probably should have been treated. But if you go that route, it's a half day project, they'll want to follow up and tell you to take it way easier than necessary. People aren't nearly as fragile as we're conditioned to believe.
Old 11-23-14, 08:04 PM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any path you choose has certain risks associated with it. Under most circumstances, reducing risk involves opportunity costs of some sort. Screwing around with treatment, dressings, etc is a PITA so if the cost of not doing that is acceptable, that's still a reasonable path.

There is absolutely no reason to be concerned about regular surface injuries until something goes wrong. The two times I got infections were larger deep wounds that normally would have been stitched up. In one of them, you could see the bone so I really probably should have been treated. But if you go that route, it's a half day project, they'll want to follow up and tell you to take it way easier than necessary. People aren't nearly as fragile as we're conditioned to believe.
Last time I went down on the bike a pothole took me out at night. Ripped my chin right open. Rode home repainting the bike a nice red as I did. Then I went to the doctor, had them clean out the wound and stitch it shut. Got some meds and that was that. They wanted a whole bunch of visits, but I only went twice. Once to get it stitched, and once to get the stitches removed.
Old 11-23-14, 08:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

I love it. It's so deliciously unbelievable.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 11-23-14 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-23-14, 08:10 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by krobinson103
Last time I went down on the bike a pothole took me out at night. Ripped my chin right open. Rode home repainting the bike a nice red as I did. Then I went to the doctor, had them clean out the wound and stitch it shut. Got some meds and that was that. They wanted a whole bunch of visits, but I only went twice. Once to get it stitched, and once to get the stitches removed.
Protip -- you can easily remove stitches yourself with fingernail clippers. Just make sure it's healed or the wound will pop back open which you really don't want. I haven't bothered to return for an appt to remove stitches since the 80's.
Old 11-23-14, 08:14 PM
krobinson103

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Protip -- you can easily remove stitches yourself with fingernail clippers. Just make sure it's healed or the wound will pop back open which you really don't want. I haven't bothered to return for an appt to remove stitches since the 80's.
It was a nasty gash. Pretty much the whole of my chin was hanging by a small amount of skin and flesh. Also ground a whole lot of muck into it. Surprisingly it only hurt when he went to stitch it. Guess chins don't have many nerves. I was lucky it didn't scar much and if it bothers me I can just not shave. But I figured it was worth letting them check it out.
Old 11-23-14, 08:15 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd take a broken carbon frame over broken bones. If you wear cheap clothing, then you are happy to buy new stuff.
Old 11-23-14, 08:26 PM
rpenmanparker 

Alright already. I get it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-23-14, 08:26 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

I love it. It's so deliciously unbelievable.
You'd love where I work. My office is literally next door to the emergency room and we have multiple hospitals adjacent to each other. The work culture is of health obsession. We either have the unhealthiest or most overtreated people on the planet.

I've always joked that a crash on the hill where I recently fell is no big deal because it's so convenient to the hospital. But you really don't want to get involved with that. Someone had a heart attack in our building a few years ago, and it took them 45 minutes to get someone over -- they had to dispatch an ambulance and do who knows what to follow procedure rather than wheel a gurney 50 yards. Happily, a huge percentage of people in our building are doctors so the passers by are as high trained as you could hope for.
Old 11-23-14, 11:29 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think my lycra shorts and jersey are going to prevent any significant amount of road rash in a crash. But in this hypothetical scenario I'd rather buy a new kit than deal with road rash again. Even my low speed (<15mph) crash on a hybrid several years ago left some nasty road rash that took 2 years until couldn't see any discoloration in the skin on my arm and leg. It was painful as hell for a week too.
Old 11-24-14, 10:13 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'd say it depends. Gloves trashed taking the brunt of a fall - sure. I actually went down with a brand new long sleeve jersey on a few months ago and I was shocked that it wasn't damaged in the least and I had a pretty good raspberry under it that bled through, but didn't stain it. My gloves didn't survive totally without a damage, but I didn't care as much about them. I chalked that up to them doing what they were intended to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.