Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike clean up and spray paint completed! De Rosa (replica)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike clean up and spray paint completed! De Rosa (replica)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 08:11 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
So far the comments have been kind. I wouldn't criticize you but would ask you to consider the other side.

De Rosa is on my bucket list of Italian bikes. Yes they are not your top of the line $600 Italian bike that you can pick up on CL once a year or less. I have respect for those who sacrifice with devotion and time, which many with a vision and passion do. The high end Italian bikes represent that to me as the country is full of passionate frame builders. To rise to the top and produce brands that are known around the world and have their product be a vehicle of world championships and tours is impressive. To label a low end bike with replica branding is deceptive at best, regardless of personal desire. Either you have one or you don't.

My personal values prevent me from representing something as different from what it is. It would upset me every time I saw it, rode it and most importantly, embarrassing to tell someone that I always admired a brand, can't see ever owning one so miss labeled what I had to satisfy my desire, or worse, represented it as what it is not.

Having said that in a straight forward way, I only ask that you consider the consequences that might arise that would "rain on your parade" with lasting impact. The decision is yours and I respect your decision but don't have to accept what it represents.
Brings to mind the dark side of having replacement graphics for these old bikes. Especially with companies still in business. I have purchased and used replica graphics on bikes I needed to restore. I am happy they are available. When applied to create an imposter it bothers me and in this case I am not even DeRosa, it DOES dilute the brand. A brand the applicator stated is admired. It's cheating, period.
Old 11-14-14, 04:41 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 2,728 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Are you referring to the Freddy Mertz? You remind me that I need to get a frame or two to Keith. He could be the best there is right now.
Yep, that is classic. Think Eddy fans chastised K A?
Old 11-14-14, 04:54 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
I'm just not a fan of this type of project.

Reminds me of my 1967 Porsche 912.

Looked great from 15 feet until you would toss the hatch up to check the powerplant and you'd have an anemic impersonation hiding in there.

Just not my cup of tea.
Old 11-14-14, 05:40 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by gomango
I'm just not a fan of this type of project.

Reminds me of my 1967 Porsche 912.

Looked great from 15 feet until you would toss the hatch up to check the powerplant and you'd have an anemic impersonation hiding in there.

Just not my cup of tea.
Well at least the 912 handled a bit better than the same year 911, less weight behind the axle and lighter weight overall.
I don't think that is a fair comparison though, Porsche endorsed that subterfuge.
Ugo had nothing to do with this project.
Old 11-14-14, 05:45 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by curbtender
Yep, that is classic. Think Eddy fans chastised K A?
Interestingly, Colnago did a few bikes with the dark blue screened foil panel sticker on the down tube like Eddy spec'd for his Orange era Molteni bikes… there one could say that Ernesto stole the graphic look from Merckx on those editions.
Very smart of Eddy to brand his rides before there was an Eddy Merckx branding deal… He was thinking ahead, (or an advisor was).
Old 11-14-14, 05:47 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by repechage
Well at least the 912 handled a bit better than the same year 911, less weight behind the axle and lighter weight overall.
I don't think that is a fair comparison though, Porsche endorsed that subterfuge.
Ugo had nothing to do with this project.
Well, you are correct.

Problem with these projects is they end up getting sold down the line to unsuspecting folks.

If the original owner just keeps it forever and a day, then maybe no harm done.

As for the 912, it was a short love affair. I was way too young for that car.
Old 11-25-14, 07:08 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 2,728 Times in 1,268 Posts
This would look nice with some Bianchi stickers... Vintage Columbia Child's Tricycle - green & white
Old 11-25-14, 07:39 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked 3,056 Times in 1,559 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
This would look nice with some Bianchi stickers... Vintage Columbia Child's Tricycle - green & white
Don't forget the Reparto Corse decals, a few Campi and Columbus ones too!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-25-14, 07:40 AM
repechage

Well, you are correct.

Problem with these projects is they end up getting sold down the line to unsuspecting folks.

If the original owner just keeps it forever and a day, then maybe no harm done.

As for the 912, it was a short love affair. I was way too young for that car.
It's the potential resale that makes this messy. The original poster was enthusiastic about his efforts, the general willingness to rehab a bike should be applauded. There were some mechanical errors but those were noted, everyone learns in a different way. The subterfuge of identity is not pretty though.
If I still owned a DeRosa I would be ticked.
Old 11-25-14, 08:33 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I wouldn't be satisfied by this but I have to say that some of the photos were very good and I completely understand the fun of working on a bike.

The idea that the appearance of something makes it similar to the thing it outwardly resembles is a very common one in Japan.

About 20 years ago, when I worked for a company here, a colleague told me he really liked 1950s British bikes, like AJS, Triumph and BSA etc., and was thinking of getting one but was worried about reliability. So he said he was thinking of getting a Yamaha SR500 and making it look like a British bike - there's a whole industry here supplying tanks, oil cases and engine covers for Yamahas to make them look just like old British bikes - so that "he could both enjoy Japanese reliability AND experience the spirit of biking in England in the 1950s."

That wouldn't work for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_9439S.jpg (64.4 KB, 279 views)
Old 11-27-14, 01:05 AM
jamesofiat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys what r ur thoughts on my plan. I would like to repaint a old Raleigh and am on a budget so my idea is to prepare the bike with primer, strip down etc. and then get some professionals to spray the bike it's colour and clear coat. What r ur thoughts, is it worth it should I do DIY and what should it cost? Thx guys
Old 11-27-14, 08:12 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
I wouldn't be satisfied by this but I have to say that some of the photos were very good and I completely understand the fun of working on a bike.

The idea that the appearance of something makes it similar to the thing it outwardly resembles is a very common one in Japan.

About 20 years ago, when I worked for a company here, a colleague told me he really liked 1950s British bikes, like AJS, Triumph and BSA etc., and was thinking of getting one but was worried about reliability. So he said he was thinking of getting a Yamaha SR500 and making it look like a British bike - there's a whole industry here supplying tanks, oil cases and engine covers for Yamahas to make them look just like old British bikes - so that "he could both enjoy Japanese reliability AND experience the spirit of biking in England in the 1950s."

This is what Mazda was thinking when they designed the Miata. They wanted to recreate the British sports car experience of the 1960's without the oil leaks, flickering lights, and leaky tops. They filled a dumpster full of exhaust systems trying to get the sound right.
Old 11-27-14, 08:23 AM
Ecrevisse

Bikes: Steel is real. All others need not apply.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The chain stays are to long to be a true DeRosa. BUT, they would add to a rather comfortable ride.
Old 11-27-14, 08:24 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
It's completely possible to create your own vinyl transfers using monocote trim sheets and an X-acto knife. Why not do the paint then label it with your own name?
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 11-27-14, 09:14 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Dawes-man

The examples I have seen though don't lift the British logos and nameplates though. Though some of the side cases do try to mimic the British Empire look I will admit.
Old 11-27-14, 09:21 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by jamesofiat
Hey guys what r ur thoughts on my plan. I would like to repaint a old Raleigh and am on a budget so my idea is to prepare the bike with primer, strip down etc. and then get some professionals to spray the bike it's colour and clear coat. What r ur thoughts, is it worth it should I do DIY and what should it cost? Thx guys
If you are on a budget then it's do it yourself, a pro paint job by one who knows what they are doing will cost. You might find a painter who is not familiar with bikes to do it cheap, but line that up first before you tear things apart. Cheaper will be to buy a bike that works and is in acceptable condition.
If you wish to learn to paint and overhaul a bike that is a valid reason but not cost effective as a one time project. If there is a bike co-op local enough to you that will help the equation. The old bike hobby is fun but it is a hobby for most and consumes money and time.
Old 11-27-14, 10:18 AM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Remember the kit cars that used a VW Bug frame and engine and were made up to look like expensive sports cars? They are probably still around, but I haven't seen one recently. These days the VW Bug is a collectors item. I should have kept mine, but I was tired of turning a wrench on it every weekend.
Old 11-27-14, 10:31 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
Remember the kit cars that used a VW Bug frame and engine and were made up to look like expensive sports cars? They are probably still around, but I haven't seen one recently. These days the VW Bug is a collectors item. I should have kept mine, but I was tired of turning a wrench on it every weekend.
Back in the day, a person could buy Beetles here for next to nothing.

I ended up owning two Beetles and a really nice Transporter. They ran quite weil three seasons of the year here in Minnesota.

Winter? Not so much.

I must say though, they were models of mechanical perfection compared to the fairly long line of British sports cars that dripped all over my parents' driveway.
Old 11-27-14, 10:51 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake

I don't think there's any danger of even a minimally informed buyer thinking this is a De Rosa - it looks like what it is, a 70s Japanese bike someone repainted and put stickers on. So I don't think there's much danger of any eventual fraudulent sale.
I'll agree with that.

The OP created a fun bike that he enjoys riding. I think its great. And really, they're just bikes. I've seen mis-decalled bikes and I always get a chuckle out of them. Bravo OP, you created something you enjoy and had fun and learned from the experience.
Old 11-27-14, 10:53 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 1,433 Posts
the fairly long line of British sports cars that dripped all over my parents' driveway.
If it stops leaking it has bled to death. At least according to the old joke.

Repros don't bother me much, as long as they are labeled so and a seller doesn't try to defraud anyone. A 427 Cobra is $1MM. A repro is cheaper and doesn't have to ride like a truck.
Old 11-27-14, 10:58 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 6,797 Times in 3,891 Posts
Honda tried the retro bike look with their GB500 TT model. It didn't sell very well in the US when new, and only was offered here for 1989 and 1990. They are now considered a collector's item and they are highly sought after. It is more of a Velocette inspired design than a Norton or Triumph design.

Old 11-27-14, 11:02 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
Ha Ha - If I am wearing a Colts jersey there is no way anyone is going to mistake this fat old man for a NFL player from any distance. Don't think any NFL players get their egos bruised when they see it either. Maybe a poor analogy I realize, but paying tribute to a famous brand by putting decals on a "low end" bike nicely restored by a DIY er is not in my opinion a bad thing and is done all the time.
Old 11-27-14, 01:14 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
When I was young I always wanted a Meyers Manx, another often copied design.

I lived across from a freeway as a kid, about once a year a VW caught fire and burned up. The flexible fuel line I was told if not replaced at reasonable intervals would leak, fuel would find its way to the exhaust manifold and flambé.
Old 11-27-14, 01:21 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 315 Posts
As long as you don't sell it as something it isn't, then who cares? Honestly, it's OP's bike and they should do whatever they please that makes them happy. The snobbery and snide comments are a bit much.
Old 11-27-14, 04:02 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Narhay
As long as you don't sell it as something it isn't, then who cares? Honestly, it's OP's bike and they should do whatever they please that makes them happy. The snobbery and snide comments are a bit much.
This made me recall a thread started by Gridplan long ago about buyer beware.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.