Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Things your fellow commuters do that annoy you

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 11:31 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
this s*** takes focus
Have you tried training wheels?

When I shout "on your right" to signal my intentions of overtaking, they swerve over to the right
If you are unwilling to ride in the big lane you should slow down and give other vulnerable traffic space.

Wheelsuck without asking ... P*** off! I worked hard for this speed, so should you!
Mebbe it's just you...~15 mph is not particularly fast.

Riding against the traffic in the narrow a** bike lane ... not so much commuters as it is restaurant delivery people
I respect hard-working professional cyclists far more than commuters who think that trackstanding is a rad bike skill.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 12-30-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-30-14, 11:42 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TerraCottaGamer
Exactly. That is why it is called a TRACK stand. If your commute is in the city with tons of potential stops for lights and blockages - clipless are a waste. Different story for those going several km with only a couple of lights. IMHO.
If you love track stands so much go hit the velodrome.
LOL! I never track stand; rather, I track sit on a geared bike. And it's a skill that is not only easy to master but significantly improves the ability of riders to balance in situations where there is a loss traction. I consider it to be a basic skill like being able to hold a line or pedal at ~3 mph.

If your commute is in the city with tons of potential stops for lights and blockages - clipless are a waste.
My commute is full of stop signs, lights, and long lines of motionless vehicles and yet...somehow...I rarely stop. Also, clipless systems alleviate discomfort when cycling and this is why I and many others use them. But...sure...it's nice to scoff at others because they do not conform to your stereotypes of what a proper commuter should look like.
Old 12-30-14, 11:49 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Other than the occasional salmon, I got nuthin'. My expectations regarding other cyclists are very low I admit, but major issues and even minor annoyances caused by other bike commuters are rare for me. I think I give way more than I get (if other commuters are offended by SEEING how I operate in traffic).
Joggers in the bike lane do bug me however.
I feel a certain fondness for ninja and salmon. Watching them irritate bike grouches warms the cockles of my heart. Basically, as long as you do not casually endanger others or blatantly violate their right of way it's all good.
Old 12-30-14, 11:52 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm trying hard not to let anyone annoy me. I mean, a lot of times folks annoy you because they're there, not because they're annoying. Bad karma for me if that's the case. If they are truly annoying, their karma will catch up to them.
Old 12-30-14, 11:52 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jhill44
People who see you are stopped at a red light, and stop in front of you... Better than the yahoos who just blow the red lights though. Oh and people who trackstand with reckless abandon.

Oh...the...humanity.
Old 12-30-14, 11:53 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
I'm trying hard not to let anyone annoy me. I mean, a lot of times folks annoy you because there there, not because they're annoying. Bad karma for me if that's the case. If they are truly annoying, their karma will catch up to them.
If someone is annoying but is not endangering themselves or others it's all on you, IMO. If someone is annoying because they are endangering themselves or others I make a point of engaging and/or attempting to educate.
Old 12-30-14, 12:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why don't you do the sensible thing for your commute and throw away the clipless pedals? No more trackstand futzing around.
Sure, throw away the clipless pedals if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time On the other hand if you've mastered the walking/chewing gum skill, trackstanding while clipped in is simple.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-30-14, 12:11 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Ear buds "remove" the sense of hearing just as sunglasses "remove" the sense of sight.
okay it masks one of your senses.... geesh

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 12-30-14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 12:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,593 Posts
...Re my "track stand futzing" ... I should not be required to entertain long conversations with every cyclist interested in learning. I have a right to track stand in peace and quiet.
Help me out here. You are trackstanding in a very public place and making a very visible show of your skills, yet you want people to pretend you do not exist? You do have a right, as all Americans do, to trackstand in peace and quiet - in your livingroom. Do it on public streets and anyone is welcome to say anything civil they want to you.

At least, this is what I learned about the principles of this country growing up. Have things changed?

Ben
Old 12-30-14, 12:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sure, throw away the clipless pedals if you can't walk and chew gum at the same time On the other hand if you've mastered the walking/chewing gum skill, trackstanding while clipped in is simple.
My post was/is in response to the content of what the OP has posted on this thread. Have you read what the OP has posted on this thread?
Old 12-30-14, 12:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,058 Posts
Ear buds "remove" the sense of hearing just as sunglasses "remove" the sense of sight.
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
okay it masks one of your sense.... geesh
There is a difference.
Old 12-30-14, 12:41 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I feel a certain fondness for ninja and salmon. Watching them irritate bike grouches warms the cockles of my heart. Basically, as long as you do not casually endanger others or blatantly violate their right of way it's all good.
You just want to be irritating. Ninjas and salmons endanger everyone around them.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-30-14, 12:44 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wrong way commuters don't annoy me less than food delivery salmons. They annoy me both with equal measure, but I encounter the latter much more often. I think most commuters in NYC have enough etiquette to know that cycling against the flow of traffic is a pain the ass for all the parties involved. Re my "track stand futzing", I do it because allows me to remain clipped in and makes commuting with clipless more practical. Just like Patrick, I can't imagine riding anything but clipless. Your suggestion that I return to platforms since my antics at stoplights solicit conversation is rather ill-informed; a track stand, while a flamboyant display of balance, serves a useful purpose and just as how a woman wearing flamboyant clothing should not be required to entertain conversation from every interested male she may encounter I should not be required to entertain long conversations with every cyclist interested in learning. I have a right to track stand in peace and quiet. An argument can be made that I should become more proficient in clipping in and I do agree, except I dislike SPDs and track standing negates the need improve my proficiency. Ideally I would like to have road pedals on my commuter (I find them much easier to clip into), but I already spent money on SPD cleats, shoes and pedals so I don't see why not continue using them till they wear out.
Sounds like the perfect reason for an N+1 bike (maybe a mountain bike, since you have the gear, lol).

As for me, watching the college kids use a sidewalk when there is bike lane right next to them. I mean, way to reinforce the idea that bikes belong on the sidewalk. They will go both ways on the same side of the street. I'm not sure if it is because they can't be bothered to ride in the street, or they are just afraid.

As for your pedals/trackstanding, as long as it isn't obstructing others, I don't see the reason for people being upset. People circling at a light though is completely asinine.
Old 12-30-14, 12:44 PM
cyccommute 

My post was/is in response to the content of what the OP has posted on this thread. Have you read what the OP has posted on this thread?
Yes and a whole lot of trackstand envy as well.

Old 12-30-14, 12:59 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Bikes: Felt F1x

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh...the...humanity.
Is it not annoying to have someone stop in front of you?
Old 12-30-14, 01:18 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
There is a difference.
I "Trackstand" corrected now. sorry to not be precise in my choice of words.... Still think it is dangerous.
Old 12-30-14, 01:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Is it not annoying to have someone stop in front of you?
No it's not. When I stop at an intersection I don't care who is in front of me.
Old 12-30-14, 01:26 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No it's not. When I stop at an intersection I don't care who is in front of me.
Yeah, but if you're already stopped there, and someone rides in front of you to stop, did they think I wasn't gonna go when the light turns green?
Old 12-30-14, 01:45 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Yeah, but if you're already stopped there, and someone rides in front of you to stop, did they think I wasn't gonna go when the light turns green?
Depends on how fast they're going to be moving. I'll cop to sometimes stopping in front of people, because I KNOW I'm going to be quicker through the intersection than they are. Though usually, I don't. Still, even though I sometimes have people stopping in front of me who end up being slower, I try not to let it get to me. Being the city along with everyone else means you're surrounded by people who's every move isn't going to be maximally convenient for you. Rather than get bent out of shape about that, it's much healthier to recognize that there's no reason other people's behavior should revolve around you and your needs and maybe realize that you're probably annoying people without knowing it all the time. Obviously, I still do get annoyed at people, but that's down more to MY flaws (impatience, grouchiness) than theirs.
Old 12-30-14, 01:51 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
But...sure...it's nice to scoff at others because they do not conform to your stereotypes of what a proper commuter should look like.
I feel like this is a huge thing. If you are not on some sort of geared bike complete with a rack, panniers, full fenders and more lights than an airport landing field, you are almost not worthy of being a commuter. There seems to be this commuter elitist attitude that if you don't have that stuff at a minimum, you are not worthy. I get this quite a bit when people see what kind of bike I commute on.
Old 12-30-14, 01:55 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Depends on how fast they're going to be moving. I'll cop to sometimes stopping in front of people, because I KNOW I'm going to be quicker through the intersection than they are. Though usually, I don't. Still, even though I sometimes have people stopping in front of me who end up being slower, I try not to let it get to me. Being the city along with everyone else means you're surrounded by people who's every move isn't going to be maximally convenient for you. Rather than get bent out of shape about that, it's much healthier to recognize that there's no reason other people's behavior should revolve around you and your needs and maybe realize that you're probably annoying people without knowing it all the time. Obviously, I still do get annoyed at people, but that's down more to MY flaws (impatience, grouchiness) than theirs.
I get that, I'm not shaking my fist at anyone for doing it, and I've never called anyone out for it. The thread is about what annoys you, that annoys me. Otherwise I like sharing the road with other bikers, I like the whole safety in numbers thing especially in the more conjested parts of my commute.
Old 12-30-14, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Yeah, but obstacles are fun. How boring the road would be if everybody gave me the right of way that I obviously deserve at all times.

. . .

It's hardly my place to tell anybody what should or shouldn't annoy them, but I think annoyance is largely a self-inflicted condition, often savored. The more you* accept how people are rather than how you'd like them to be, the lower your blood pressure. Keep your wits about you and there's very little you can't handle; then you can pat yourself on the back for your excellent roadcraft. It's win-win.

Or what grolby just said, as he was posting while I was typing this.

As for earbuds, as much as I enjoy a good earbud-wearer-bashing thread, this isn't it, so I'll confine myself to expressing my appreciation for the earbuds-are-like-sunglasses post. That's a good one (and I personally hate wearing sunglasses).

* speaking generally; this isn't aimed at anybody

Last edited by 905; 12-30-14 at 05:59 PM. Reason: annoyingly unable to say what I want to say exactly how I want to say it the first time
Old 12-30-14, 02:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
But...sure...it's nice to scoff at others because they do not conform to your stereotypes of what a proper commuter should look like.
What ??...There is a "proper commuter look" ??...I didn't know about that.
Old 12-30-14, 02:29 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been known to ride with earbuds. Just one, on the side opposite traffic. Sometimes, I just need that extra push of rock to get me onto my bike. I also live out in the 'burbs where coming across another cyclist actually using a bike lane is a very rare thing indeed. I tend to see people on bikes once I get into the city, but as stated above, I have yet to come across one using the bike lane right freakin' next to them.

I don't know how people can ride without sunglasses. Even if it isn't sunny, it gives me some sort of eye protection from flying debris and wind. It also doesn't help that my commute is west to east in the morning, and east to west in the evening. To each their own, there.
Old 12-30-14, 02:56 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
That's a terrible analogy. You can do better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.