Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Single 18650 cell + XML T6 vs XML L2 vs XML L2 U2 (similar emitters huge gap?)

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Single 18650 cell + XML T6 vs XML L2 vs XML L2 U2 (similar emitters huge gap?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 03:42 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
So in reading all this stuff, including the recently mentioned Divine light (I've got the generic from ebay)....I've got a couple questions.

1.) What difference is there in 18650 cells? (I have UltraFire greys that say 5000mah) I notice candlepower forum folks laugh at ANY UltraFire cells. Yet, the grey ones I have work ok for me. I usually give them about 1 hour before I swap a cell. Would better cells provide more brightness in a Cree emitter, or just longer life?

2.) So is there such a spread in single-cell 18650 XML lights? Even just XML T6's (which are considered dinosaur now, right?) rate anywhere from 160lm up to 910lm. How the HELL is that possible?

And in addition, what's the improvement scale going from T6 to L2 to L2 U2. (Is L2 U2 any newer or just another letter/# suffix?)
1) I think you have the answers. Ultrafires and similar low cost cells tend to be made by many manufacturers with poor quality. I stick to consistent, high quality myself.

2) Lumen statements are always questionable, unless stated as conforming to ANSI/NEMA FL1 standard. Some light makers actually measure the out-the-front lumens of a real device. Some will merely spout the maximum possible from the LED manufacturers spec sheet, disregarding losses from actual circuits, reflectors, lenses, etc. You can also run various amounts of current through a LED and get various outputs levels; the tradeoff is power consumption/run time, heat and so on. There is also a relationship with the next item....

3) Cree XM-L2 LEDS are a family with many subcategories of tint and brightness. Light makers can buy any any tint and brightness bin they want, although sometimes not all are available in desired quantities and prices. Download the Cree XM-L2 spec sheet and look at page 3.
Cree XM-L2 data sheet

XM-L2 is the main family
There are 7 tint/CCT ranges
Each tint range has several available brightness (luminous flux) ranges, such as T2 or U2. "U"s are the brightest. The outputs listed are a range you can expect when driven as stated from a bare emitter. Any other drive and mechanical configuration will result in different numbers.
Old 01-03-15, 05:10 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I've noticed that some of the recent high output flashlights get the claimed lumens in "turbo mode" and then they tell you that you cannot run turbo mode for more than 5 minutes. Also some batteries are limited in the amount of amps they can deliver. There are two or three models of Panasonic batteries, some that are designed to deliver higher current (3 amps).

If you look at some of the battery reviews on Home | BudgetLightForum.com, you will see graphs of output voltage as a function of time under different loads. Some batteries do a better job of delivering consistent voltage than others. There's also the matter of the driver on the flashlight. Direct drive flashlights suck as much juice out of a battery as it can deliver. Regulated flashlights should do a better job at delivering even output. I think that is the feature you might be paying for with a higher quality, more expensive light and one that may be rain proof.

I can't stand battery packs and wires icking up my bike frame! I've been commuting at night since 2009 and I've been happy with Flashlights C8 single battery flashlight on the bars and a slightly smaller barrel shaped flashlight on the helmet. Mountain Electronics has modified C8 flashlights if you want higher power in a single battery format. With inexpensive flashlights, I won't feel bad if it gets destroyed. And as I don't ride in the rain (I'm a wimp) I don't have to worry about weatherproof.

My ride is just over an hour and with a Panny 3400 mAh I don't really notice the light getting dimmer. I have two batteries and rotate after each ride.
Old 01-03-15, 06:32 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie
1)

3) Cree XM-L2 LEDS are a family with many subcategories of tint and brightness. Light makers can buy any any tint and brightness bin they want, although sometimes not all are available in desired quantities and prices. Download the Cree XM-L2 spec sheet and look at page 3.
Cree XM-L2 data sheet

XM-L2 is the main family
There are 7 tint/CCT ranges
Each tint range has several available brightness (luminous flux) ranges, such as T2 or U2. "U"s are the brightest. The outputs listed are a range you can expect when driven as stated from a bare emitter. Any other drive and mechanical configuration will result in different numbers.
That is some very useful info!! I don't get about 80% of that page, but the 20% I do get, makes good sense to me!! Thanks!

Originally Posted by a1penguin
I've noticed that some of the recent high output flashlights get the claimed lumens in "turbo mode" and then they tell you that you cannot run turbo mode for more than 5 minutes. Also some batteries are limited in the amount of amps they can deliver. There are two or three models of Panasonic batteries, some that are designed to deliver higher current (3 amps).

I can't stand battery packs and wires icking up my bike frame! I've been commuting at night since 2009 and I've been happy with Flashlights C8 single battery flashlight on the bars and a slightly smaller barrel shaped flashlight on the helmet. Mountain Electronics has modified C8 flashlights if you want higher power in a single battery format. With inexpensive flashlights, I won't feel bad if it gets destroyed. And as I don't ride in the rain (I'm a wimp) I don't have to worry about weatherproof.

My ride is just over an hour and with a Panny 3400 mAh I don't really notice the light getting dimmer. I have two batteries and rotate after each ride.
Good info there too. In fact, on that Fenix BC30 I earlier linked to, that 1800 lumen claim is not even on *turbo*, it's actually ONLY acquired with a separate plug-in remote switch and can only be run for afew seconds. Now, that said, I do think it's still kind of a cool feature. Kinda of like "flashing your high beams" which could be a useful feature!

But apparently, it really can achieve 1200 lumens for 1:50 which is pretty darn long & pretty darn bright. It's 2pcs of the XML-L2 T6 bulb and that's got to be pretty darn bright. (thus my interest)
Old 01-04-15, 03:01 PM
Litespeedlouie

Further, XM-L2 is the successor to the XM-L design, with recipe tweeks, giving more color/tint groups and output ranges. AFAIK, a T6 bin of output level is the same whether XM-L or XM-L2, but I also like to know the tint, which often isn't spec'd so the light maker can buy whatever is available. Pure output isn't so helpful if the tint is poor. If I want a light that has a nice design but otherwise unknown tint, I just replace the LED myself.

Again, statements of light output must always be questioned. It should be out-the-front lumens of a real device tested in an integrating sphere under stated conditions (which mode, etc) to be meaningful. FL1 standard does this. Wild theoretical guesses/lies are common.
Old 01-04-15, 05:57 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
The cheap cell I do not think qualifies as 'junk'. It ran nearly as long as the expensive cell but was way less expensive. No doubt the better cell ran a little longer, but not 3x as long to go along with the 3x price.
The quality will also show in how many cycles you get before performance deteriorates. The Lezyne cell is likely a quality cell but it is very expensive. The best Li-Ion cells cost in the $3-4 range in quantity so there is a fair margin at $20/cell.
Old 01-04-15, 06:31 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeedlouie
AFAIK, a T6 bin of output level is the same whether XM-L or XM-L2,
In between Cree changed the binning temperature from 25C to 85C.
The XML is binned at 25C, the XML2 is binned at 85C (more realistic). This gives about a 15% boost for the same bin.

@700mA Minimum Luminous flux(lm) T6:
XML = 280 @ 25C
XML2= 280 @ 85C ... but 318 @ 25C

And the jump from XLM T6 to XML2 U2 is 280 to 341 (@ 25C), over 20%...(that would make it a U4 if binned at 25C).
Old 01-05-15, 09:18 AM
Litespeedlouie

Originally Posted by znomit
In between Cree changed the binning temperature from 25C to 85C.
The XML is binned at 25C, the XML2 is binned at 85C (more realistic). This gives about a 15% boost for the same bin.

@700mA Minimum Luminous flux(lm) T6:
XML = 280 @ 25C
XML2= 280 @ 85C ... but 318 @ 25C

And the jump from XLM T6 to XML2 U2 is 280 to 341 (@ 25C), over 20%...(that would make it a U4 if binned at 25C).

Ah, there you go!
Old 01-05-15, 08:49 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
It's been a while since I posted here but I have some info that may help or confuses you more. There is a lot of factors here that will affect what you have read. A light can drop lumens when the light heats up. This is especially true in cases with the small lights with LED that are driven hard. It is a waste as all those power are wasted to creating heat and also increase the possibility of damaging the light. Some manufactor will overcome this by using auto step down programed into the driver. One company that does this is the well known Zebralight. Lights that does not have this feature will simply have less lumens after several minute from the initial power on. During this period, you will notice some decrease in light intensity. This process will continue until there is an equilibrium of the heat produce from the emitter and the amount the heat will dissipate from the flashlight body.

Another factor that affect the total lumens coming out of your flashlight can be cause by the batteries. A freshly charged 18650 can yield a higher current load, however it will decrease as the battery get run down. The internal resistant of lower quality battery will affect how well the flashlight can hold lumens regulation. This is a less problem with flashlight that are driven in the lower range since the current draw from the battery is less. If you study search for folks who has charted out various battery, you will notice how the better battery can affect overall performance under a heavy load.

One of my biggest gripe about the ultrafire is the inconsistency of the battery. I order many from DX and most are generally ok with light to medium load application. However there are several bad batteries that stand out from the rest of the batch. Generally speaking, that is ok since I can just simply recycle those in the waste bin. The biggest issue is if you are planning to use those in flashlight that are not single cell. Not knowing how if the cell are equal in spec can lead to some serious issue such as injuries. In this case, it is better to just use better know quality cell that are more consistent with the specification.

Last thing worth mentioning here before I stop yapping. Generally most light tested at MTBR forum are multiple battery cell light. This means that the voltage and current the battery pack can hold better regulation throughout the duration of the light. There will be less current sag from the pack and also the voltage will remain above the 6 volt mark. Keep in mind that Led need some minimum FWD voltage to stay bright. It is something like 3.35v for a U2 if driven at a specific current. Multiple cell pack will have no issue holding this spec but a single cell flashlight will drop out of this requirement after a certain amount of runtime. This is even more so if one was using very cheap flashlight battery............Ok hope I did not confuse you much.
I am most likely going to use my lights on medium (500lm), low (250 lm) or flash mode. Would the draw in these conditions mitigate the problems of some lower cost batteries? I have about 6 - 8 TrustFire cells that have been running pretty reliably. Not as good as my Panasonics, but still pretty satisfactory, but I am not using any of them to drive a single cell 1000+ lumen lamp.

Also does the breeze from riding help cool the light enough to make a difference?

Last edited by dwmckee; 01-09-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 10:22 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I am most likely going to use my lights on medion (500lm), low (250 lm) or flash mode. Would the draw in these conditions mitigate the problems of some lower cost batteries? I have about 6 - 8 TrustFire cells that have been running pretty reliably. Not as good as my Panasonics, but still pretty satisfactory, but I am not using any of them to drive a single cell 1000+ lumen lamp.

Also does the breeze from riding help cool the light enough to make a difference?
The lower amp draw will definitely help out the overall run time you will get from the battery. You should be able to get close to what the battery capacity is rated (not what the label state). The current draw from a XML at 500 lumens should be less than 1.5 amps and that is fine for the Ultrafire battery.

The breeze does help but only so much. It will depend on what power level you are running the light. If you run on high out of a single cell 1000 lumen light, the total OTF lumens will drop while the housing warms up. Having more air flow will only cool off whatever the housing will dissipate. However getting the heat from the emitter to the housing will still be the slow process and while the outer housing of the light might be cold, the emitter will still be very hot and retaining a lot of heat. The same light in medium mode will generate much less heat and will have less heat right at the LED board meaning that the efficiency will be better.
Old 01-07-15, 05:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,492 Posts
It's really nice to see you back, @colleen c. You seem to be the most knowledgeable person here.

I've concluded that, for me, flashlights are not the best thing as headlights. There is so much to know about beam patterns and current draw and charging method. I tried. I have been through several flashlights, batteries, chargers, and mounts. It's a lot of work, ostensibly to save money. The makers of lights specifically for bikes have worked it all out, and I have decided that the extra money is worth spending, for me.

I have a Fenix PD-32 which cost me $70 at the time, which is a lot for a flashlight. The switch broke, and I could replace it, but the cost, while less than the original purchase, is still substantial. Meanwhile, I have a handful of cheaper flashlights. They are all very bright, but they are too reachy, and they blind me somewhat.

I like the way some bike lights spread the intensity to the top of the beam so that the light on the road looks evenly painted. I like how bike lights mount more positively, in general. I don't like how most don't have removable batteries. It would be nice if more used 18650 cells, but oh well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-15, 08:59 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
It's really nice to see you back, @colleen c. You seem to be the most knowledgeable person here.
Thanks noglider. Work has taken it's share of my time and I took a little time off. However I still come and visit to see what is new around here

I've concluded that, for me, flashlights are not the best thing as headlights. There is so much to know about beam patterns and current draw and charging method. I tried. I have been through several flashlights, batteries, chargers, and mounts. It's a lot of work, ostensibly to save money. The makers of lights specifically for bikes have worked it all out, and I have decided that the extra money is worth spending, for me.
That's pretty much how I felt at times. Bike specific lights does ease the challenge a person has to make before buying. I notice the UI from bike lights are a little more friendly than flashlight. The only time I use a flashlight now is on the helmet whenever I feel like not have that tethering leash (power cord) running down my helmet and to the battery pack.

I like the way some bike lights spread the intensity to the top of the beam so that the light on the road looks evenly painted. I like how bike lights mount more positively, in general. I don't like how most don't have removable batteries. It would be nice if more used 18650 cells, but oh well.
Yeah me too. I wish some does offer an option for either a battery pack or just simply a battery holder that allow us user to use our own batteries. I think there probably more profit can be made if they offer the buyer their pack. Some of those cheaper ebay bike light was known to have used or recycle battery in their pack. However the good news is that there are now battery holder that has the typical battery plug like the magicshine and the holder allow the user to use their own cell.

DIY 18650 Battery Holder for MagicShine LED Bike Light T6 U2 L2 LED Bike Light | eBay
Old 01-07-15, 09:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme I use this with an adapter for the connection to my Fenix BT-20