Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have you ever "lost" your brakes descending a mountain?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 09:41 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't, but I've often wondered what it would be like or imagined what I would do if I had to ditch the bike when I'm going by certain turns etc.

With all of the talk about disc brakes becoming the newest rage, I think these thoughts will occur far more often due to the real fear of boiling fluids and losing all control over the brakes.

I wonder if making road disc brakes lighter weight and more aero-dynamic will add to this potential?
Old 02-20-15, 10:18 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When all else fails, carefully(!) nudge the heel of your left shoe against the side of the rear tire (using the NDS chainstay as support) to scrub off speed until you stop. But watch out for the spokes!
Old 02-20-15, 10:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Nope, never had a problem. Coaster brake for the win!
Old 02-20-15, 10:45 AM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've baked sram red brake pads so that maximum pressure was still 15mph and I couldn't stop until I got off the hill. (AL brake tracks)

But if you are wondering about boiling, I'm sure it could be calculated necessary forces to boil.

Of course, with rotors, pads, heat shields, caliper cylinders, caliper bodies... And ambient air. I lack the experience in physics to calculate vehicle speed, total weight and braking force and duration necessary to generate sufficient heat.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TH][/TH]
[TH]Dry boiling point[/TH]
[TH]Wet boiling point[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]DOT 3[/TD]
[TD]205 °C (401 °F)[/TD]
[TD]140 °C (284 °F)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 02-20-15, 10:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Nope, never had a problem. Coaster brake for the win!
said the guy with Fred Flintstone as an avatar.

Old 02-20-15, 11:09 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Only in the sense that due to heat I couldn't keep a tight hold on the brake levers. Too much sweat no gloves that day. Just forgot 'em.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-20-15, 11:42 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
When they start looking like this, I would start to worry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (7.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-20-15, 12:33 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can brake with your shoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg
Old 02-20-15, 12:44 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt
With all of the talk about disc brakes becoming the newest rage, I think these thoughts will occur far more often due to the real fear of boiling fluids and losing all control over the brakes.

I wonder if making road disc brakes lighter weight and more aero-dynamic will add to this potential?
They're adding a new disorder to the next DSM...

BT Syndrome.

A condition specific to cyclists.

An irrational fear of disc brakes completely devoid of any basis in reality considering the level of current tech.
Old 02-20-15, 01:10 PM
R1lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
concerned about boiling point on hydraulic disc brakes?
Old 02-20-15, 01:37 PM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Blew a tire, does that count? I was able to stop, but when I grabbed the rim to remove it I burned the ***** out of my hand.
Old 02-20-15, 01:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Black carbon rims, out in the desert (Okanogan Highlands) descending 4,300 feet with very steep sections, including a mile at 15 %, I lost a bit of braking power. I was still able to stop (and wait for things to cool down) but it took longer and obviously wasn't right.

Disc brakes would have made this better, not worse.
Old 02-20-15, 02:01 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 439 Posts
Lost brakes? Yes, on a couple occasions.

Once in particular, over-use caused them to heat up and lose most of their effectiveness. And this was on a heavy downhill section. Made it to the bottom safely with some judicious weaving and dragging of the feet. Was dangerous, given how steep things were. Not completely lost, but near enough.

One other time, when I hit the brakes one capable snapped and the other locked up. Made for an interesting into-the-pavement situation. Was fine, though I was introduced to a handful of rather large abrasions. Completely lost (the one brake); and completely grabbed (the other brake).

These situations were both years ago. Am much more diligent about keeping well ahead of the braking system, these days. Funny, how a couple of close-up exchanges with asphalt can change one's perspective. Road Rash Realism, or something like that.
Old 02-20-15, 04:23 PM
Oldan Slo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
What about the real fear of failure of cable operated rim brakes? I've had more than one brake cable snap at an inopportune moment.
Old 02-20-15, 04:29 PM
MLE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going down a mountain once and my brake pads caught fire braking through a curve. But they held. I was going so fast man, no fear. As I exited the curve I ripped out a sprint and the wind put the fire out.
Old 02-20-15, 04:49 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldan Slo
What about the real fear of failure of cable operated rim brakes? I've had more than one brake cable snap at an inopportune moment.
No doubt you survived this extremely common disastrous occurrence since you were riding a fixed gear and due to Zen-control was able to totally dispense with obsolete rim brakes and descend with Mind Control only. On the other hand if "I've had more than one brake cable snap at an inopportune moment" you seriously need a new mechanic or a Bodhisattva as your coach, or both.

"I've had more than one brake cable snap " Although your riveting account is no doubt totally apocryphal, have you ever heard of Routine Maintenance? Every decade or so a good going over of the machine's functional bit's n' bobs works wonders for bicycle safety and performance.
Riders have been negotiating mountain slopes at pace up/down for very many decades w/ no drama with the dreaded "rim brakes" and their allegedly fallible "cable snap" . Sheer utter nonsense on a properly maintained machine.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 02-21-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 04:50 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I lost 95% of my braking in a pouring rainstorm on a descent with my carbon Bontrager rims and the Bontrager cork pads. Hail was pelting my helmet and the amount of water dumping out of the clouds was impressive. I applied max pressure to the brakes and there was no noticeable slowing. This was on my barely 1 week old new bike. Descending from NCAR in Boulder. As I was trying to figure out how I could ditch the bike into the field on one side, or try to ride it out into the streets below, or unclip and try to drag my feet, I slowed a slight amount and was able to eventually come to a stop. Then stood there in the pouring rain until a kind soul saw pity on my and stopped and I loaded into her car.

Code brown moment for sure.
Old 02-20-15, 04:54 PM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MLE
I was going down a mountain once and my brake pads caught fire braking through a curve. But they held. I was going so fast man, no fear. As I exited the curve I ripped out a sprint and the wind put the fire out.
Old 02-20-15, 05:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
I had my front brakes go out on a 10+ mile descent (with a steel gate across the road halfway down the mountain, and lots of curves).

The brake lever was wearing out, and the cable was fraying... I think it still had a little braking power in the front, but not much. The rear was a little loose for some reason too.

I certainly couldn't walk down the mountain, so I just took it easy, and anticipated the gate early.
Old 02-20-15, 07:30 PM
utahp8ntballer

Bikes: Fuji SL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 degree day coming down a steep Utah mountain, my buddy blew his rear tire about 100 yards from a hairpin curve with a truck/boat coming around. It was one of the most scary moments I've ever had, and all I did was watch. He saved it somehow. We were about 60 miles into our 75 mile ride when this occurred. It was a new tire and it just exploded. All we could figure was the heat buildup was too much on that steep decent and super high outside temps caused it to blow.
Old 02-20-15, 10:23 PM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost braking power in a Chevy suburban loaded up with kids, camping gear, and towing a big heavy travel trailer. Was headed from Donner Pass down to Truckee. Smoked those babies good but got it stopped! When I got it pulled over all the kids jumped out and stood on the side of the interstate while smoke poured out from the front brakes. Damn brake controller on the trailer went out.

On my bike had a really odd experience with a new wheelset. Didn't surface until I was on a long steep grade but there was a small defect in the brake track of the new rim. A small bump on the front rim caused a very scary vibration when trying to stop from speeds above 40 mph. Got it slowed down with just the rear brake. Rest of the ride I was really careful to keep descending speed low.
Old 02-20-15, 11:30 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Now THAT'S what I call a foot brake!
Old 02-20-15, 11:46 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Most of the roads off of mountains around here have been graded for trucks. There just aren't that many that are really steep or have tight curves. They only reason to lose brakes around here is your scared.
Old 02-21-15, 12:36 AM
basqueonacaad

Bikes: CDALE CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Now THAT'S what I call a foot brake!
Looks like you could use a Winston right about now.
Old 02-21-15, 12:47 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by basqueonacaad
Looks like you could use a Winston right about now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.