Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 03:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
I took the subway to work yesterday and stopped off for a bike club meeting afterwards, in midtown. When the meeting was over, it was raining. I got on city bike, and it was an unusually enjoyable ride, in the dark, in the rain, probably because it's finally warmer than it was this winter. I was also blissful that we were having rain because so much dirt accumulated in the streets over the months, and I knew the rain would help clean a lot of it. We still need more rain, but I'm grateful for what we got, and I'm grateful I got to ride at least a little yesterday.

Today, I didn't ride, and I'm kicking myself for that decision. It is so nice out!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-11-15, 06:55 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
So this happened on the way home from work:

37.5 miles in 28 minutes! In other words, Garmin lost it's mind!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled.jpg (48.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-11-15 at 07:28 PM. Reason: issues uploading a good screenshot (I'm a little drunk & tired)
Old 03-11-15, 10:32 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
So this happened on the way home from work:

37.5 miles in 28 minutes! In other words, Garmin lost it's mind!
Face it you are a machine.
Old 03-12-15, 03:02 AM
pedalsimotxilla

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 10, Merida SUB 40, Old Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great! First time in the year I can do one of my commutes under the sunlight. Every wednesday I have a rehearsal in a city 10 km away from Barcelona, the commute (taking the "touristic route"), includes a minor road, an unpaved seaside street, some real, loose gravel and, in general, opportunities to have fun which I don't usually take when it's dark.
Old 03-12-15, 06:32 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My wireless bike computers show crazy readings like that all of the time, particularly when riding in the city with lots of traffic signals. The traffic lights apparently send out some sort of electronic signal that interferes with wireless computers, and mine will show crazy stuff like a maximum speed of 200 mph. That is one reason why I have quit buying wireless computers, going back to the old wired versions, which also have much better battery life.

We finally got a break in the weather here today with the only day of clear skies and low chances of rain for the entire week. However, the roads were still very wet this morning from all of the rain we had yesterday and overnight. If I can get away from work on time, I plan to ride the long way to make up some of the mileage I've been missing from the lousy weather we've had over the past month. And of course, we are supposed to get more rain tomorrow and Saturday.
Old 03-12-15, 06:41 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A bit cooler this morning at 51F, but clear and nice out.

It looks like a new neighborhood development is going in along my route. They have knocked down hundreds of trees - sad to see. I don't know why they didn't at least leave the ones that lined the road. Seems like they would have provided some privacy for the development.
Old 03-12-15, 07:21 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a flat tire on the way home last night on the MUP that crosses the Missouri River Bridge. This path is usually littered with glass/debris, but it seems particularly bad this week. The city does clean it, but not very often. However, since the temperature was awesome (in the mid-70's), I really didn't mind changing the tire.
Old 03-12-15, 07:27 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 2,696 Times in 974 Posts
68°F this morning! That's 17° warmer than yesterday.
Old 03-12-15, 07:28 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too hot for my long sleeves on the ride home last night. I brought a t-shirt today so I can wear that instead. Spring is coming! I'm enjoying the birdsong along my ride. Lots of cardinals, finches, and catbirds getting ready for the season. This makes 4 days in a row. I think that's the first time since 2014.
Old 03-12-15, 07:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by joeyduck
Face it you are a machine.
HA! Thanks!

I hope your recovery is going well and hope our posts are helping you from going stir-crazy.

Today was a drive-to-work day, last day of snowboard coaching for the season. It's going to be near 70F here today, I don't remember ever snowboarding when it's that warm.

And soon, I will have to be a fake-bike-commuter-poster since I'm moving to a home office. Starting the transition this week with the delivery of new office furniture to the house tomorrow. I'll be working from home and testing my bike commute to nowhere special and back home.
Old 03-12-15, 07:38 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Yesterday's ride home was 63F. Cracks me up to see the flood of riders coming out of hibernation - easy to spot because they're all wearing shorts. 31F this morning and first commute in under an hour since, well I can't remember, so a while!
Old 03-12-15, 09:04 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
48 degrees this morning and the ride was AWESOME. it felt soo good to ride. looking forward to a few extra miles on the way home tonight. supposed to be rainy tomorrow and we are traveling so i am driving again but if weather forecasts holds I might be able to ride 3 days next week.
Old 03-12-15, 09:19 AM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drencher last night, but not cold.

Dark and warm this AM. My left knee is protesting every revolution--not sure what's up with that.
My theory is: I do something abnormal, and then a few days of commuting 'reveals' the injury.
(Sat-Mon I spent hours each day on 3 different bikes, (BMX/MTB) some of them ill-fitting.)
Old 03-12-15, 09:23 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
And soon, I will have to be a fake-bike-commuter-poster since I'm moving to a home office. Starting the transition this week with the delivery of new office furniture to the house tomorrow. I'll be working from home and testing my bike commute to nowhere special and back home.
That's what I've been doing for the last couple years, at least on nice days. It's not so bad. I get to ride some much more interesting routes instead of the same thing every day.

The company I work for still has an office downtown, and I rode there today for the second day in a row. Altered my route a bit from yesterday to avoid the worst trails, and it was a little better of a commute. -1C/31F with a bit of a tailwind. Should be a nice ride home at 9C and sunny.
Old 03-12-15, 11:16 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Yesterday was my first commute (home) since October and this morning was my first ride to work. Yesterday's ride was incredibly slow due to fighting the wind while tackling the biggest climbs of my route. It really showed me just how out of shape I am.

The ride in this morning had that same wind from yesterday pushing me along but it's still too dark to ride really aggressively (even with a light) and not feel like I'm gonna die. It was my first ride of this year that I neglected to wear long wool socks which was a mistake. Mid 40's + a damp wind is still pretty darn cold. At least my shoe covers did their job. My hands got colder than they did riding in 32 degrees with no wind last week.

I'm loving the switch from drop bullhorns to FSA Compacts and SRAM levers so far.

Old 03-12-15, 12:43 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could have worn shorts it was so warm out. This was one of those days that makes me glad I'm a bike commuter. Hard to believe it was below zero last week.
Old 03-12-15, 01:34 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
It's nice to see so many of you taking about warmer temps. It should be around 90 here on my way home which should be pretty nice with an off shore wind. My ride in today was great; allow me to sound like a NASCAR driver- "The Chris King/Paul Components Surly Long Haul Trucker presented by Schwalbe Marathon Supremes was hitting on all cylinders today" lol.... I really LOVE my new tires. This afternoons ride will be great- I'm meeting up with my buddy after work so we can do the first half of the ride together. He just picked up a new fancy carbon fiber commuter; our bikes togther will be like Jeckyl and Hyde. Hopefully I can snap some pics.
Old 03-12-15, 01:42 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
It's nice to see so many of you taking about warmer temps. It should be around 90 here on my way home which should be pretty nice with an off shore wind. My ride in today was great; allow me to sound like a NASCAR driver- "The Chris King/Paul Components Surly Long Haul Trucker presented by Schwalbe Marathon Supremes was hitting on all cylinders today" lol.... I really LOVE my new tires. This afternoons ride will be great- I'm meeting up with my buddy after work so we can do the first half of the ride together. He just picked up a new fancy carbon fiber commuter; our bikes togther will be like Jeckyl and Hyde. Hopefully I can snap some pics.

I await the color commentary of the Jekyll and Hyde commute. Of course I cheer for the LHT.
Old 03-12-15, 02:44 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
27f/-2c this morning. The aftn was sunny, with blue skies and a decieving 53f/11c. It looks warmer than that, but once you get going and that cool air hits you. I had the long sleeve jersey on and started out a little cool but after awhile everything was OK. We're going to have all day rain tom'rw and into Saturday. The rain gear I have makes it a snap to ride in.
Old 03-13-15, 06:24 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bonus commute this morning. The forecast earlier in the week had called for a cold rain today, but the storm system has been slow arriving. Hopefully the slow movement will continue and I'll be able to make it home this afternoon without getting soaked. Yesterday was nicest weather we've had for commuting in many weeks, with sunny skies and moderate temperatures. I had toyed with the idea of taking the long way home, more than doubling my normal afternoon commute, since the days are so much longer now with daylight savings. However, I got tied up longer at work than I had hoped, and there was a stiff headwind when I left work. I decided that I wasn't in the mood to ride 2+ hours home into a headwind, so rode my usual route, which was tough enough with the wind.
Old 03-13-15, 06:39 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Nothing exciting yesterday afternoon.

Cooler temps and afternoon rain are in store today. My wife and I already arranged for an after work pick-up and go eat somewhere plan.

I stopped to take a sunrise picture this morning. Purty!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150313_Sunrise.jpg (92.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-13-15, 07:30 AM
arsprod 

44F and raining, seemed to have the MUP to myself. I wonder what happened to all the new (fair weather) commuters?
Old 03-13-15, 09:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by arsprod
44F and raining, seemed to have the MUP to myself. I wonder what happened to all the new (fair weather) commuters?
HA!

Today marks the start of the transition to the home office. Today the new office furniture is arriving at my house, so I'm working at the house. Took the road bike out for the first ride of spring, OH EM GEE that was AMAZBALLZ! Love the Felt Z85. About 40F, damp roads, I took a 23 mile ride on quieter roads - about the same distance I do round-trip to the office. I think I will enjoy this home office commuting (or riding just for fun).

Also, when does street-sweeper-season start? The roads are terrible, anything outside the traffic lane is a sand trap.
Old 03-13-15, 09:29 AM
arsprod 

Today marks the start of the transition to the home office.
Oh no, who's going to commiserate about sub zero riding (because if you ride in that crap without having to you're nuts)?!
Old 03-13-15, 09:38 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by arsprod
Oh no, who's going to commiserate about sub zero riding (because if you ride in that crap without having to you're nuts)?!
You're in luck, I am nuts! I'll be out in the sub-zero next year. Heck, just 2 weeks ago I went for a 25 mile ride on Sunday when temps were -10F to -5F, that was just for "fun".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.