Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 12:00 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
it was more from the sense they are different tires with different purposes. knobby vs smooth. not asking about how it looks... more for the rideability or whatever of it.
Ah geez, did I put my foot in my mouth or what?! But as [MENTION=381190]Hypno Toad[/MENTION] says, I also mix tires on my winter bike - Schwalbe Marathon Winter in front and Nokian in back
Old 03-26-15, 12:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
I was just sitting here in my cube, hours after my ride, and ssssss there goes my rear tire. WTF! I have it apart and found the leak. There was an obvious fold in the tube, I was sure it would be there, but it wasn't. It's on the rim side. This is a really strange cheap rim, looks double walled but instead has a very deep channel, but I can't find a jagged edge or protruding spoke or anything like that.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-26-15, 12:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,617 Times in 1,525 Posts
Last night, I headed home, and it was raining very lightly. Then halfway through my 70-minute ride, the rain got heavy, yet it never got unpleasant. I hardly spend any time on streets, as most of the route is a bike path. It became a little hard to see, but it wasn't bad. I didn't get cold even though I got wet. Funny how I used to dislike riding in the rain, but I just don't mind it any more. Fenders do make it better, so I don't get splashed heavily.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-26-15, 12:44 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Ah geez, did I put my foot in my mouth or what?! But as @Hypno Toad says, I also mix tires on my winter bike - Schwalbe Marathon Winter in front and Nokian in back
nah I just thought I would clarify what information I was seeking. Thanks. I am in NC and havent found the need to purchase winter tires. though i have wondered about running the cyclocross tires in the winter but am not sure if they would fit under the fenders. If they do it might be a good way to go in the winter months for a little extra.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 03-26-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 01:50 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
It was a warm one this morning; 60 degrees under the cover of darkness riding in. Jersey and bibs only, with no vest. As nice as the temps were, my legs were shot. This afternoon I'l be riding most of the way home with a fellow commuter, and I know he's tired too. Hopefully it'll be a "social" ride. lol.
Old 03-26-15, 04:59 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
Great ride to work last night. Because it was on my new bicycle, a 2015 Salsa Fargo 3. Need to figure out rear fender mounts before the rainy season gets here.
Any pics yet?
Old 03-26-15, 05:56 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early AM commute the other day, and I see the Vancouver mayor out for the annual homeless count. Clipboard in hand with 2 other staffers who are trying to wake up some homeless dude in a tent. Mayor Gregor sure looks like he doesn't want to be there, and looks longingly at my bike as a ride past. He's a huge cycling advocate and a commuter himself, who has done more for cycling infrastructure in the past 2 terms than you can imagine.

Besides, he doesn't want to be out counting homeless people because in 2008 he promised to eliminate homelessness by 2015--like promising to empty the Mississippi using buckets--the City has done a lot, but more homeless just keep coming!

I could just feel in his look, that he would have given anything to put down the clipboard and pedal up N. Grandview instead.
He faced the press later that morning:
Vancouver mayor says city?s ?warmer weather? to blame as he fails goal to end homelessness by 2015 | National Post
Old 03-26-15, 11:09 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmm...sticky start to season, flat tire (good it was front one).. using last years Brodie Section 8..Nexus internal hub..got sick of having to clean gears all the time. Fortunately weather has been kinds, very little wind on the ride and and from work 18km.. just lots of post winter gunky-gunk on the side of the road.. I like getting started early in the season, I find it helps you appreciate the really nice days to come..
Old 03-27-15, 01:52 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In the 50s on my way to work this morning, really nice, and to top it off only a slight headwind. Only had to breathe the terrible fumes from one poorly running truck.
Old 03-27-15, 06:28 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Salvaged a great commute out of a day that initially looked like a bust. Woke up yesterday to thunderstorms with radar showing a lot more to come, so I hit the snooze button. However, the storm system was moving really fast and the rain was almost done when I got up at 6 am, so I decided to ride after all. Made decent time due to warm temps in the 60s, despite a head wind. It got even warmer by afternoon, reaching the mid-70s, and the wind kicked up even more -- but it was at my back most of the way home. I decided to take the long route along our long river trails and averaged over 17 mph all the way home. That's a very fast commute for me, albeit aided by the wind and lack of red lights.
Old 03-27-15, 06:28 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I put some new tires on my commuting bike. MIchelin Protek 700X28. I got them for $15 each. if they last as long as my other Michelins I will say I got an awesome deal. They look nice but I will have to wait until next week to see how they ride. I think I need to get my cassette and chain cleaned. So gunky.
how often do you all clean your chain/ cassette?
Old 03-27-15, 06:49 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I put some new tires on my commuting bike. MIchelin Protek 700X28. I got them for $15 each. if they last as long as my other Michelins I will say I got an awesome deal. They look nice but I will have to wait until next week to see how they ride. I think I need to get my cassette and chain cleaned. So gunky.
Every 3 rides. I'm paranoid because i previously had a a heap of chain links seize.
Old 03-27-15, 07:14 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I had a nice tail wind on the way home yesterday. I always feel like I have to take advantage of that and push harder. Including a couple of stop signs where I had to wait a bit, I averaged about 18mph, much faster than normal.

Today, however, I bailed. Between my wife not needing the car, me needing to transport a few larger things, and a rainy morning, I drove today. And I'm okay with it.
Old 03-27-15, 07:44 AM
parkersdad

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I had a nice tail wind on the way home yesterday. I always feel like I have to take advantage of that and push harder. Including a couple of stop signs where I had to wait a bit, I averaged about 18mph, much faster than normal.

Today, however, I bailed. Between my wife not needing the car, me needing to transport a few larger things, and a rainy morning, I drove today. And I'm okay with it.
I drove today as well. I have to pick up my little girl this afternoon and the rain helped make that decision. I will be riding the stationary bike at lunch though.

Last edited by parkersdad; 03-27-15 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 03-27-15, 08:29 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Depends on how often it rains hard enough to wash away the crap! Kidding aside, I lube my chains probably once every 4-6 weeks, a little more in the winter. I use wd-40 liberally as a cleaner, works great

Ride home yesterday was into 25mph gusting winds, expecting the same or worse today. If it wasn't mid 30's I wouldn't complain... as much
Old 03-27-15, 08:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Windy. Oh my glob. No wonder I wear out chains faster on the fixed-gear, I must have been grinding out of the saddle for half of the trip this morning.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-27-15, 09:06 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Every 3 rides. I'm paranoid because i previously had a a heap of chain links seize.
Welcome to the forums.

Wow I think that is a lot, what kind of weather or road conditions are you facing?

I only clean my chain and cassette when it rains, no joking. I though will usually ride it hard and change them once every 3,00 miles, or once a year.

I usually lube my chain once a week in the rainy season and maybe once a month in the dry season.

I haven't done much bike riding lately, sad face. But after 64 days I've graduated to crutches.
Old 03-27-15, 10:40 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Any pics yet?
Just the one I took at Paramount Cycles while I was unsuccessfully fighting temptation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015 Salsa Fargo 3.jpg (101.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-27-15, 10:55 AM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
No ride today; my legs are tired. The ride home last night was really fun; I rode with a friend most of the way home; it's amazing how some conversation can make the ride go by so quick. We were both shot from a big week of riding, so the pace was relaxed. I was so lazy, I ditched my trunk at work so I wouldn't have to carry the extra weight. lol....what a loser I am....
I call this picture Good vs. Evil. You can decide which is which....

and some spring color

I'll be back at it tomorrow, hopefully feeling fresh, and enjoying the light Saturday traffic.
Old 03-27-15, 10:56 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
Just the one I took at Paramount Cycles while I was unsuccessfully fighting temptation.
Cool. I still love mine. Only about 5100 miles on it though. I wonder what it would be like with suspension forks. Here's the 2015 lineup:

Salsa Cycles
Old 03-27-15, 11:24 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
No ride today; my legs are tired. The ride home last night was really fun; I rode with a friend most of the way home; it's amazing how some conversation can make the ride go by so quick. We were both shot from a big week of riding, so the pace was relaxed. I was so lazy, I ditched my trunk at work so I wouldn't have to carry the extra weight. lol....what a loser I am....
I call this picture Good vs. Evil. You can decide which is which....

and some spring color

I'll be back at it tomorrow, hopefully feeling fresh, and enjoying the light Saturday traffic.

The the constant battle between good and evil. This time the line is thin and frayed.

I've been lucky and getting outside and getting some fresh air a lot the last week and a half, but it's always nice to see other colors.
Old 03-27-15, 01:17 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Had a nice ride in yesterday morning. Rain was in the forecast, but it was supposed to start later in the morning and leave by the afternoon. Temperatures also were supposed to drop through the day. It was in the 60's at 6 AM so I rode in shorts, and brought an extra layer with me. Had a light sprinkle before I left, so it was wet, but didn't rain during the ride.

Come 5 PM, though, I ended up having to bail and bum a ride home from a co-worker. It was colder than expected (40's), raining much more than expected, and I would have had a pretty strong headwind. I said nope, not doing that. I left the bike at work, and drove my car this morning so I can bring the bike home.

So I'm still not back up to 3 commutes per week like I was doing in the fall. But I got in 2 1/2 commutes this week.
Old 03-27-15, 02:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Salvaged a great commute out of a day that initially looked like a bust.
That was my day yesterday. I was already to ride to the office until I found the rear tire had lost about 40 pounds of air pressure, so I drove instead. But I commuted to the credit union after work, and had a nice ride there and back. I scared some critter on the way back. I didn't see what it was, but heard a big splash and same some big ripples in the creek I was riding by shortly after I rode past whatever it was.
Old 03-27-15, 02:14 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commute yesterday was nice, it was cloudy and it had been raining on and off the previous night to all day. it was slightly wet, my bike and bag suffered some mud but it was in general a really peaceful ride in 50s and kinda damp. enjoyed it thoroughly
Old 03-27-15, 07:07 PM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chilly ride in tonight for night shift.. (actually enjoy friday night shifts.. -8C, but good 20kph tailwind, although from the north so nasty crosswind. Got cold weather gear on outside of foot booty's to cut the wind chill.. maybe should have used them, took an hour for my toes to warm-up.. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.