Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 08:32 AM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't sleep well at all last night so I decided to take a day off from riding and take the subway. I felt bad about the decision until I checked my app and realized that I have rode 9 out of the last 10 days not counting today. Just walking around my legs feel sore so I believe I made a good decision though I still feel bad about it.
Old 05-05-15, 08:34 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KCBikeCommuter
Nice commute this morning... and it was around 60F when I left the house. It rained last night, so the streets were still wet, but there was a definite smell of 'spring' in the air as I rode to work! Wonderful!

The temperature was nice, but the humidity was extremely high. Must have been close to 90%, because I was sweating like crazy by the time I arrived at work. Commutes for the remainder of the week are questionable as they are predicting a good chance of thunderstorms on Wed(80%), Thurs(90%), and Fri(90%).
Exactly the same here, and along with humidity was fog. New challenge trying to control sweating with temps in the low 60's and starting out with a vest, then getting hot, then cold as I sweat. Still love spring!
Old 05-05-15, 09:10 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I am sure that farm pasture is a subdivision by now. I lived there in the 60s and 70s.
It's a shame. Even in the time I've been here, most of the remaining small patches of anything natural have disappeared. I'm just glad for the stretch of Greenway I commute on.
Old 05-05-15, 09:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7396 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,493 Posts
I had quite a fun adventure today. Now I wish I had taken pictures. The weather was great. I had to stop by a doctor's office on the east side to pick up a piece of medical equipment. Then I asked Google how to get to work, and it gave me a surprising route through the Bronx, including the South Bronx. It was a fascinating tour, including the gritty and gorgeous neighborhoods. I decided to use only two gears to make it interesting. It seemed there was quite a bit of climbing on the route, which I enjoy and miss on my regular route. The campus of Bronx Community College looks gorgeous. I hadn't know of the existence of Jerome Park Reservoir, so it was a treat to see that.

Home to doctor

Doctor to work

Oh, I'm glad to report that my repair of my rear wheel has held up. I reported that I broke a spoke on Thursday, but it turned out to be two spokes. I replaced them on Sunday. So far, no more breakages.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 05-05-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 09:47 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
The downpour stopped before it was time to hit the road and the sun was even out but boy was everything wet, from the deep puddles to the rainforest trees and dangling moss dripping as if it was still raining that hard.
Old 05-05-15, 09:52 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
60's, overcast, and drizzly this morning. Some of my favorite weather for riding a bike. Charly Gaul's, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-05-15, 10:10 AM
on2wheelsks

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road the Mill Creek trail in this morning, Shawnee to Olathe, low 60's, my kind of morning. 80's this afternoon for the trip home, love this weather!
Old 05-05-15, 10:50 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
A cool and breezy pre-work-from-home ride this morning. I'm happy to see that most of the roads have been swept of all the winter sand, just in time for more snow forecast for tonight.
Old 05-05-15, 01:35 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crashed the MTB yesterday and twisted my ankle. Not sprained or anything, just sore and I shouldnt be riding especially when i have a long hiking/backpack trip in 10 days. Soo lucky its not sprained.
Old 05-05-15, 02:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Received a Fly6 as a bday gift from my wife. (Not sure how to take that....) Today was the first documented commute, so interested to see how it looks.
Old 05-05-15, 03:05 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Summer's finally here with temps in the high 80's (30*c) and clear blue skies.

The temperature during my morning commute is slightly cooler, and the coastal road is also quieter, making it an ideal time to commute, but the afternoon return trip is hotter and the people which spent the day at the beach are usually absent-minded and frequently wander in front of my bike without checking to see for traffic.

Waiting for the beginning of August where a large percentage of the city's population leaves on vacation and the streets are nice and quiet!
Old 05-05-15, 06:45 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a hospital transport today for my commute to see my plastic surgeon.

The bad news is I get a taxi back to the hospital at six thirty tomorrow morning for another surgery, my seventh in what will be 104 days tomorrow.

The good news is the third time is a charm. This is the third skin graft on the back of my left knee, so let's hope it takes. I'm going to be doing some aggressive resting and leg immobilization for the following week.

It's just tough knowing my wife is so pregnant and I can't help her. I'm going to on bed rest until the 14th and my previous estimated date of departure was the 15th' so I'm bummed that I likely won't be out then.

My wife and I have been together eleven years, I've had ten surgeries in those eleven years. I've had 12 surgeries since 1999. Both number are counting tomorrow's surgery.

Last Friday I had gotten to go to my new apartment for a home visit assessment, it was nice to be there. Then Saturday I went to watch my son's first formal swim lesson. Sunday we went and bought a new 2014 Dodge Caravan, we picked it up Monday. I'm verbally cleared to drive but I'm awaiting the doctors final written clearance. My wife loves the new car. We also have a guaranteed buyer of our 2004 VW Gold TDI! Too bad we couldn't write the van off as a medical expense.

Overall I was on track to walk home on the 15th as far as rehab goes, so that will be pushed back. I'm bummed since my father and brother were returning to walk home with me
Old 05-05-15, 09:19 PM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I purchased my bike on Sunday and did my first big city commute today. It started with a lovely LOVELY descent (I live on a hill), followed by an endless succession of lights and pedestrians meandering on and off the designated bike path. (I need a bell). The ride home was GREAT! I finish work in the evening so the streets are quiet and the pedestrians sparse. Problem is that hill I live on. It's not a super steep hill, just a super long one. I had to get off and walk about 2/3 of the way up. One day.
Old 05-05-15, 09:44 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I got my new bike last Thursday. I am in the adjustment period as we wait for a few final details. I have ridden my bike since the to the train station.

I typically take the commuter bus, but when the timing is off i take the bus to the train. All in all any of the 3 options take roughly the same amount of time door to door.

I have 2 stations nearby, around 1-1.5 miles away. Each station has its own set of traffic lights. The further station has more hills and a bike valet. The closer station has bike lockers and lots of regular parking.

Since I do not have my security locks and bolts I have been looking for ultra secure parking.

Today I had to be at work extra early for a meeting. The further station lets me coast downhill for the first half of the route. I dropped my bike at the valet and made it to work pretty fast.

On the way home I struggled with some messy takeout.

The new bike is awesome. With better gearing and geometry, my ride is at least 1/3 faster. It is great. Once the wheels are all setup, I think I'll ride more. So much more enjoyable than on the old bike!

Last edited by jade408; 05-05-15 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 04:45 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wohoo beat the rain! That's the great thing about having to be at work early. Typically either catch the rain the last 10 minutes or just as I'm arriving. Well so far anyways now it'll pour tomorrow. Wind was out of the NE right in the direction I was heading.. oh well at least it was downhill where it mattered.
Old 05-06-15, 06:27 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Good ride home yesterday with a bit of tailwind for the last few miles.

Good ride in this morning. With a loop around a shopping center I ended with a lucky 13.00 miles. A little cooler this morning. A long sleeve top was a good idea for the start but almost a little warm by the time I got to work.
Old 05-06-15, 06:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Another great day for riding with sunny skies and high temps expected in the low 80s. My legs are getting tired because I've been racking up the miles due to the nice weather, but I don't want to take a day off because we tend to get dry weeks and rainy weeks lately. Make hay while the sun shines.
Old 05-06-15, 07:47 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep your chin up @joeyduck. Sounds like you are still making amazing progress considering how it started.

Last night I chased a rainstorm home for the second night in a row. The pop-up showers sort of appeared out of nowhere just ahead of me on my commute, and then I proceeded to follow them all the way home. Didn't get a drop of rain on me either night, but the streets were really wet. No big deal... that's why we have fenders, right? The bike is a little dirty, but I stayed completely dry. Ok... my shoes got a little wet.
Old 05-06-15, 08:44 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I'm going to be doing some aggressive resting and leg immobilization for the following week.
What a great term, aggressive resting! Keep up the good work!!

I stopped at the BMV on my way to work. Didn't think anything of the incongruity until I walked in and 20-something faces turned to look at me in bike garb
Old 05-06-15, 09:07 AM
ChicagoDan

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was a great ride to work! I drove approximately 2/3 of the way to the office, then rode the last 14 miles. It took a little more than an hour, and I only got stopped at lights a handful of times.

Residential streets to bike lanes on major streets to the lakefront trail. There was heavy fog, but visibility was good enough to see about a block ahead.

Previous commutes were bike to train station (5-6 miles), then get off the train and use a Divvy bike for the last mile. I am hoping to build up the distance and ride the full commute a few times this year.
Old 05-06-15, 10:02 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My ride to Pawley's Front Porch (Pawleys Front Porch Home Page) from the office was great last night. I ride though the University of South Carolina campus, and it is nice to be away from cars. I was dodging dads and minivans though as it appears the semester is over and the dads were moving their daughters out of the dorms. Anyways, 1/2 price burger night and cinco de mayo paired up quite nicely (we had a taco pot luck at work for lunch). It is a whole mile and a half lol. I left my car in the parking garage at work and hitched a ride home with the wife, who also came out.

This morning was a little rough - the dogs woke me up at 0300 to go out and I had trouble falling back asleep. I am more or less on flex time, so I was late getting up. I would have probably driven if I didn't leave my car at work. Didn't leave the house until 0900 and was glad I didn't have the easy way out. The weather was nice, there was almost no traffic, and I felt great. I did however forget to bring my towel back in after taking it home Monday to wash it. Ford Prefect would not be happy with me...
Old 05-06-15, 10:58 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got dumped on this morning with a surprise downpour. Other than that, it was a nice ride in.

I got certified to be a League Instructor this past weekend so I did a lot of extra riding. It was nice to ride in some new areas.
Old 05-06-15, 11:36 AM
beerRun
still a newb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sending posvibes your way, @joeyduck!

Pulled a goathead outta my tire when I got home yesterday. Instantly started deflating. Such a newb I didn't have the supplies to fix it.

I'm rounding them up and hope to ride to work Friday.
Old 05-06-15, 12:01 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Some nice commutes this week so far. Finally the weather is a little more normal, drier, and some southerly winds! Last week was unseasonably cool with mostly northern winds. My home's HVAC system didn't run at all for over 10 days.

Good rides, nothing unusual to report.
Old 05-06-15, 01:29 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I don't normally post on days I don't ride, but this is what the weather looks like in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on May 6, 2015:

It's warm enough to not be collecting on the streets, but this is the kind of snow that wreaks havoc on the budding trees. I considered riding today, and it might have been fun, but I don't have access to showers at work anymore, and there's no way to ride in this weather without getting dirty. That's my excuse, anyway. Nasty winds and other errands also factored into the decision to take transit today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.