Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Australian fixed gears

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Australian fixed gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 09:56 PM
deadlytreddly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Australian fixed gears

Hi, does anybody know of a good supplier in Australia for fixed gear parts. Have found some track bike suppliers in Oz, but their wheels are really expensive and catering for highend track riders. Shipping from America is a bit too expensive too. Any help gratefully appreciated. I am midway through my first conversion now and am really excited about it- I wanted a rear fixed gear wheel rather than just converting from a freewheel with just a cog, ring and tape. Thanks.
Old 11-05-05, 10:00 PM
mcatano
Crapzeit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Kookie Bikes.

m.
Old 11-05-05, 10:25 PM
deadlytreddly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you. Much appreciated. Looks good.
Old 11-06-05, 09:55 PM
deadlytreddly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Placed an order with Matt this morning. Sounds promising.
Old 11-06-05, 10:12 PM
econobot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're in South Australia, there's a shop in Adelaide called Fixed Wheel Cycles. They don't have a website but their number is 08 8262 4288.
Old 11-06-05, 10:34 PM
Blakey
\m/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crap! I wrote out a long detailed reply, and the forum ate it.

So here's the 'I couldn't be arsed typing all that again.' version.

I've been lurking since the start of the year, learnt a heap from this forum, so I want to give back what I've learnt, hence finally registering.

Hubs available in Aus:
Velocity = Formula, expensive ~$200/pr
Surly = AUD$130 for a rear
Phil Wood = www.chainringtransitauthority.com, in Sydney
Suzue = Kookie, but SIL-SP = Suzue Jr, search the forum to see how crap they are, you don't want to spend $100 and have the threads strip in short order.

So you can't get reasonably priced quality hubs in Oz. I've ordered from Harris, AEBike.com and BensBikes. All were good, but Jim at BensBikes was absolutely stellar. Nashbar are useless, they can't verify cardholder addresses unless you use Amex.

Best place to buy: https://www.benscycle.net or bensbikes on ebay. Jim is a fantastic guy to deal with, all my US orders will be through him in future. They have a new website, but can source anything that's listed in the QBP catalogue.

US$40 shipping for 1 pr formula hubs (US$60, 28/32/36 hole, 120/126mm spacing, black/silver), 4 brake levers, 1 brake cable set, 2 cogs, 1 lockring, 2 tubular tyres. Well worth the 7 day shipping wait (if you can call it that, I've had local orders take twice as long). Payment is via CC through Andale.

While you're ordering, I strongly recommend the following to ease the shipping sticker shock:
Tektro: aero & timetrial & crosstop levers, 521A/AG brakes
Kool Stop salmon brake pads
Dura-Ace cogs & lockring
Crank Bros pedals
Cateye LD1000 taillight.

Chain: Order a KMC Z610HX or Z510HX from your LBS. Has enough links to do 44/16 on 44cm chainstays. Shiny, strong.
https://www.63xc.com/gregg/gregchai.htm

Rims: Call LBS' and ask what old stock they have floating around. I got double wall, eyeletted Rigidas for $40 each and Fiamme Red Labels for $20 each. If you want new bling, just order Velocity rims. The factory is in Brisbane so custom colours/drillings will be available to you much faster than all the poor souls in the US lusting after polished DeepV's or nonmachined green/pink/yellow...

Spokes: www.phantomcycles.com.au, Kerry is great, they have DT spokes for $0.60 ea and a Phil Wood spoke machine if you need funky sizes.

My bike:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8594220...in/set-1068350
Drop me a line if you're in Brisbane and want to try it out.
Old 11-07-05, 03:48 AM
Martyr

Bikes: Gios (Road), Zullo (Track), Fixed Giant Conversion (MTB), Kona (Commute)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakey

Hubs available in Aus:
Velocity = Formula, expensive ~$200/pr
earlier this year i bought a pair of velocity hubs (32 hole high flange )from Peter Moore in Richmond (next to the train station on swan st)

Flip-flop rear for $72 with lock ring
Front for $65

I reckon that is pretty cheap for workman quality.

I built a new back wheel for my il Pompino with an On-one double fixed. Retail $139 but the guy knocked a bit off: Open Road Cycles at Syndal.

cheers

Marty
Old 11-07-05, 07:43 AM
Blakey
\m/

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Martyr
earlier this year i bought a pair of velocity hubs (32 hole high flange )from Peter Moore in Richmond (next to the train station on swan st)

Flip-flop rear for $72 with lock ring
Front for $65

I reckon that is pretty cheap for workman quality.

I built a new back wheel for my il Pompino with an On-one double fixed. Retail $139 but the guy knocked a bit off: Open Road Cycles at Syndal.
What do you mean by workman quality?

The Velocity track hubs are Formulas, exactly the same as the ones IRO sell and they're all made in the same factory. The price I gave was from memory of what a person told me over the phone a while ago, hence the ~. Either way, you can buy the same hubs for US$60/pr plus say US$20-30 shipping if you order nothing else to make it worthwhile.

I've heard a lot of good things about Peter Moore, but unfortunately I'm not in Melbourne (Bris).

I didn't know about the On-one's, but then again, for the price IRO/Formula can't be beaten and I'm very happy with my pairs.
Old 11-07-05, 06:34 PM
deadlytreddly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks Blakey. that is a great help. Really appreciate your time in giving me all that info. I have dealt with P. Lynn Miller from Chainringtransitauthority and reckon he is great. Also, phantomcycles too have impressed me.

cheekymonkey were too expensive for their basic wheels and hubs.

Matt from Kookie bikes is really good too. I don't want to be too patriarchial, but I am glad to support Aussie guys where possible. this is my first conversion, so if I get into it more seriously, I will definitely take your advice with those suppliers.

I am in Bris too. I work in the city. I have not seen your bike around, but the photos look great. I get around on either a Norco Bigfoot with an xtracycle attachment or a stock LeMond tourmalet. I am out there everyday. If you see me wave me down. I will keep an eye out for you on your Raleigh.

Thanks again,
Old 11-07-05, 07:59 PM
Blakey
\m/

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deadlytreddly
thanks Blakey. that is a great help. Really appreciate your time in giving me all that info. I have dealt with P. Lynn Miller from Chainringtransitauthority and reckon he is great. Also, phantomcycles too have impressed me.

cheekymonkey were too expensive for their basic wheels and hubs.

Matt from Kookie bikes is really good too. I don't want to be too patriarchial, but I am glad to support Aussie guys where possible. this is my first conversion, so if I get into it more seriously, I will definitely take your advice with those suppliers.

I am in Bris too. I work in the city. I have not seen your bike around, but the photos look great. I get around on either a Norco Bigfoot with an xtracycle attachment or a stock LeMond tourmalet. I am out there everyday. If you see me wave me down. I will keep an eye out for you on your Raleigh.

Thanks again,
Did you buy the Xtra from CTA? I saw it on their site a while ago and started lusting for one. I'll definitely wave you down if I see the Xtra, it'd be hard to miss.

I've only been to CM once when I was in Syd, they seem like good guys

Don't get me wrong, I like to support Aus made/owned too, but I'm not going to pay Velocity almost double the money for identical hubs. Likewise I won't pay $1.50 a spoke at Riders when Kerry at phantom charges $0.60 and can get it to me overnight. Whenever I need to buy parts that I can get in Oz I head to Bicycle Revolution in West End. Great guys, willing to help you fix strange problems instead of just selling new bikes (which they don't do)

The only reason I was against you buying from Kookie was I figured you were going to buy the Suzue Jrs, which have such a bad reputation for stripping threads you'd be out $100 in no time, when for the same outlay you could get a pair of Formulas from Bensbikes. Oh well, treat them gently, fingers crossed.
Old 11-07-05, 08:12 PM
b-ride
crazy keeper

Bikes: Concorde Track bike, Cramerotti Track bike, Brodie Unibomber, Concorde Road bike, Concorde Time Trial, Babboe City Bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, maybe try pming mrwhite. he's an aussie as well and i know that he's got about 7 track bikes built up. he might have some good sources. then again, he's always travelling... think he's in new york right now... and perhaps he buys his stuff during his travels. you'll have to ask him tho.

b

Originally Posted by deadlytreddly
Hi, does anybody know of a good supplier in Australia for fixed gear parts. Have found some track bike suppliers in Oz, but their wheels are really expensive and catering for highend track riders. Shipping from America is a bit too expensive too. Any help gratefully appreciated. I am midway through my first conversion now and am really excited about it- I wanted a rear fixed gear wheel rather than just converting from a freewheel with just a cog, ring and tape. Thanks.
Old 11-07-05, 09:14 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use and recommend Pauls hubs if that's any use to anyone. Easy to get, good customer service - easily the best of the semi-bling hubs.
Old 11-07-05, 11:37 PM
deadlytreddly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah got the xtra from Chainring transit. Am really stoked with it hey. wave me down and I will give you a burl. You'll love it. Am going touring with it over chrissy in the Snowies.

I got my old frame from Bicycle revolution and a few other bits and pieces. They really do a great service and are definitely worth supporting.

You're right about the economics of it all. anyway see you around.
Old 11-08-05, 02:44 PM
Martyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you mean by workman quality? .
just saying: plenty good enough for a worker like me. i commuted 50km every day on the velocity hubs in all weather and they haven't missed a beat

i will break down the wheels and build a set of training wheels for the track with the velocity hubs.

they aren't really race quality - but i like em nonetheless

The Velocity track hubs are Formulas, exactly the same as the ones IRO sell and they're all made in the same factory. The price I gave was from memory of what a person told me over the phone a while ago, hence the ~. Either way, you can buy the same hubs for US$60/pr plus say US$20-30 shipping if you order nothing else to make it worthwhile.
is that cheaper than $137/pr oz?

I've heard a lot of good things about Peter Moore, but unfortunately I'm not in Melbourne (Bris).

I didn't know about the On-one's, but then again, for the price IRO/Formula can't be beaten and I'm very happy with my pairs.
the On-one that I have is a much higher quality hub than the velocity - but I paid more

ATB

Marty
Old 11-08-05, 03:15 PM
nasty

Bikes: merck, 'dale,soma track, tcr road, lemond road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i appreciate its not on the east coast, but ideal cycles in wa normally had a fair bit of track stuff knocking around. brand new, nos and second hand. https://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/ the guy that runs it is old school eat london track tracer, definately worth a phone call... there's also a store in freemantle that has a hideous amount of nos campy stuff... but you'll have to do your own research for that... its worth it
Old 11-08-05, 07:28 PM
Blakey
\m/

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just saying: plenty good enough for a worker like me. i commuted 50km every day on the velocity hubs in all weather and they haven't missed a beat
Gotcha, I thought you meant 'made by' not 'for' a workman. Mine get commuted on every day too and they're as good as the day I bought them.

i will break down the wheels and build a set of training wheels for the track with the velocity hubs.

they aren't really race quality - but i like em nonetheless
I agree, for the money I paid they're practically impossible to beat. And Velocity must think so too if they're offering them in their track wheelset.

is that cheaper than $137/pr oz?
Well, US$80-90 is AUD$109-122, so yes, but I wouldn't only order just a pair of hubs, and I split my orders with other people where possible to lower the shipping cost further. If that is what they're selling for then that's great, but the figure that a Velocity employee gave me was well up on that.

Originally Posted by nasty
i appreciate its not on the east coast, but ideal cycles in wa normally had a fair bit of track stuff knocking around. brand new, nos and second hand. https://members.iinet.net.au/~ideal/ the guy that runs it is old school eat london track tracer, definately worth a phone call... there's also a store in freemantle that has a hideous amount of nos campy stuff... but you'll have to do your own research for that... its worth it
Is that Steve at Ideal? I've bought some gear from him via AusPost before, thumbs up.
Old 11-08-05, 08:15 PM
Martyr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nasty
there's also a store in freemantle that has a hideous amount of nos campy stuff... but you'll have to do your own research for that... its worth it
can you name the store in freo or PM me? i am going to be in Perth in a couple of weeks so would be keen to have a snoop around.

cheers

marty