Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclists who expel snot while riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclists who expel snot while riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 06:22 AM
dipy911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People take tissues with them on bicycle rides??? Not me. If it's too much for the glove, then it's time to start spitting. Don't pass so close to me. It's still a 3 foot law for bicycles as well.
Old 06-22-15, 08:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
No Big Deal...

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Firing snot rockets while riding is a fine art, and I was showing my son how to do it the other day.
But, I make sure there's no one in the line of fire.
...unless you blow a snot rocket while looking at fine art, which would be a "no-no".

My wife hates it when I blow snot while we're going for a walk or are out somewhere (not in crowds, obviously). I tell her I've been doing it for a long, long time.

I don't have any trouble with cyclists clearning their noses. I get it.
Old 06-22-15, 08:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by sjs78
I came back from a bike ride today on a trail and there was a road cyclist one person ahead of me. All of a sudden I see him reach for his nose and start blowing forcefully, trying to eject as much snot as possible into the air. Meanwhile there was this woman behind him (who was in front of me) who may have caught the brunt of it. I slowed down because there was a wind and didn't want to breathe any of that in. What is up with that? It's rude and gross. Why not at least stop and do it to the side?
It's allergy season in Minnesota, I'd be stopping every mile. Same story when I ride in the winter, once the temps are below 45F, sinuses are gonna run. Clear your sinuses or stop breathing, simple choice. Therefore, I shoot snot-rockets often. However, I also look around me prior to clearing my sinus, 'cause I'm not a jerk.
Old 06-22-15, 09:13 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
The advanced version is to try and hit a target. Manhole cover, Drainage grate, telephone poles, puddles ...
Same with spitting.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-22-15, 09:53 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
Yikes! Quite a disgusting thread here!

I can't imagine someone in front of me doing that without a tissue. Nasty. I would pull up to them and say something.
I tried tissues years ago. In fall and winter, my eyes tear up, and some of that is redirected into my nose via the nasolacrimal duct. I saturated a bunch of tissues within the first 15 minutes. It's just too much volume.

Aim downward, and allow at least 3 or 4 bike lengths to the rider behind. Or better still, be the last rider.
Old 06-22-15, 10:28 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I wish I could launch a snot rocket, I can't produce enough force to get it out of there right. My wife on the other hand is a snot rocketeer, at least that is what I call her. She warns me first though. It's the way of the road. I carry tissues and have to stop once it is bad enough that I can't breathe, or I hork a massive loogie, whatever I need to do.
Old 06-22-15, 10:46 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are being a bit prudish. I think it's gross in public when it's not necessary. But any athlete will tell you that it's absolutely necessary when your sport takes place outdoors. Biking makes it a bit harder because of the wind.
Old 06-22-15, 10:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Best to not follow too closely , downwind.
Old 06-22-15, 11:08 AM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
When shooting snot rockets I like to play the "Peter Gunn" theme music in my head and pretend I'm the Spy Hunter deploying an oil slick.

Old 06-22-15, 11:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
Yikes! Quite a disgusting thread here!

I can't imagine someone in front of me doing that without a tissue. Nasty. I would pull up to them and say something.
And we'd just laugh.
Old 06-22-15, 11:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I got so I was doing them regularly on long distance rides, and I was doing so many long distance rides for many years ... and occasionally I'd do one walking down the street because I'd forget I wasn't on my bicycle anymore.

Probably fortunately there weren't too many people around ... might have startled some to see a woman doing that.
Old 06-22-15, 12:34 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's inexcusable that anyone would expel bodily fluids, without knowing where it was going. In some states, it's considered assault with a deadly weapon....
Old 06-22-15, 12:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,019 Times in 2,611 Posts
Two comments: one on why we should blow snot and the second on how to do it.

The first: I have had sinus issues since I spent 6 years working with fiberglass resin building boats, spending my workdays in contact with chemicals the body is not meant to see. I have had allergy and allergy-like symptoms ever since. Congestion is a fact for me. Yes I do inhale an antihistamine every night. Also a corticosteroid. And still, sinus congestion is always there. When it loosens up, it drains into my throat. In the past I was a "proper" and polite type and usually swallowed what I could. In those days, every 18-24 months, my sinuses and the drainage would get out of hand, I would develop a sore throat and ultimately have to do another go-round of antibiotics.

Well, I married an RN. Every time she caught me swallowing, I would get an elbow in my ribs. I got better about spitting into toilets, bushes, whatever so I wouldn't have to swallow. Marriage fell apart after 6 years. I started riding seriously again, almost always alone. And started "honking". Pressing one nostril shut and blowing hard. Wow! Did I feel better late in rides and after! So obviously a healthier way to live! Maybe my wife was on to something. (That a person who spent decades attending to the health of humans could have a good understanding of the working of such human organisms; what a concept!)

And second; how to honk (or spit) in a group of riders: with conscious respect for the riders behind. This has been done in racing circle and group rides for the past 130 years. Be aware of any wind and how that might change the trajectory of your "snot rockets". When the need comes up, arrange it so you are on the downwind side of your group. Edge a little further in the direction. Honk or spit, doing your best to keep it low. If you have to do it on the upwind side, drift back so there is no one behind you. Now, if you are in a race, drifting back may well be something that you do not want to do. If that is the case, do your best to keep the discharge really low or use the back of your glove.

And while on this note: If you approach a rider from behind, tuck in and draft him and never tell him you are there, you get (and deserve) what you get.

As my wife made known to me, a society that honks and spits is a healthier society. (As long as we take care to have our projectiles land in appropriate places. And on the street is one of those places. Anyone eating off that street and subjecting themselves to those germs has other issues that really should be addressed.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-22-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 01:15 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
It's inexcusable that anyone would expel bodily fluids....
Please, don't be dramatic.

Originally Posted by Wanderer
...without knowing where it was going. In some states, it's considered assault with a deadly weapon....
In a nanny state.
Old 06-22-15, 01:21 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Please, don't be dramatic.

In a nanny state.
It's called courtesy!
Old 06-22-15, 01:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Two comments: one on why we should blow snot and the second on how to do it.

The first: I have had sinus issues since I spent 6 years working with fiberglass resin building boats, spending my workdays in contact with chemicals the body is not meant to see. I have had allergy and allergy-like symptoms ever since. Congestion is a fact for me. Yes I do inhale an antihistamine every night. Also a corticosteroid. And still, sinus congestion is always there. When it loosens up, it drains into my throat. In the past I was a "proper" and polite type and usually swallowed what I could. In those days, every 18-24 months, my sinuses and the drainage would get out of hand, I would develop a sore throat and ultimately have to do another go-round of antibiotics.

Well, I married an RN. Every time she caught me swallowing, I would get an elbow in my ribs. I got better about spitting into toilets, bushes, whatever so I wouldn't have to swallow. Marriage fell apart after 6 years. I started riding seriously again, almost always alone. And started "honking". Pressing one nostril shut and blowing hard. Wow! Did I feel better late in rides and after! So obviously a healthier way to live! Maybe my wife was on to something. (That a person who spent decades attending to the health of humans could have a good understanding of the working of such human organisms; what a concept!)

And second; how to honk (or spit) in a group of riders: with conscious respect for the riders behind. This has been done in racing circle and group rides for the past 130 years. Be aware of any wind and how that might change the trajectory of your "snot rockets". When the need comes up, arrange it so you are on the downwind side of your group. Edge a little further in the direction. Honk or spit, doing your best to keep it low. If you have to do it on the upwind side, drift back so there is no one behind you. Now, if you are in a race, drifting back may well be something that you do not want to do. If that is the case, do your best to keep the discharge really low or use the back of your glove.

And while on this note: If you approach a rider from behind, tuck in and draft him and never tell him you are there, you get (and deserve) what you get.

As my wife made known to me, a society that honks and spits is a healthier society. (As long as we take care to have our projectiles land in appropriate places. And on the street is one of those places. Anyone eating off that street and subjecting themselves to those germs has other issues that really should be addressed.)

Ben
This.
Old 06-22-15, 03:00 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjs78
I came back from a bike ride today on a trail and there was a road cyclist one person ahead of me. All of a sudden I see him reach for his nose and start blowing forcefully, trying to eject as much snot as possible into the air. Meanwhile there was this woman behind him (who was in front of me) who may have caught the brunt of it. I slowed down because there was a wind and didn't want to breathe any of that in. What is up with that? It's rude and gross. Why not at least stop and do it to the side?
Now, if this was truly some gent launching a snot rocket up into the air while riding with cyclists behind him, that is a bit of a jerk move. However, I find it a little hard to believe that someone would put the effort into leaning the head that far back, which on a moving bicycle, to launch a booger train in that manner. Maybe I have a detail wrong.

In every other case, don't be such a weener. I don't intentionally launch snot fliers at other people, nor do will I take the time to carry a tissue and/or actually use it. Is this forum for cycling or dinner parties?
Old 06-22-15, 03:55 PM
jbarham

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone capable of shooting a snotrocket straight up into the air while in the saddle has balancing skills that I can't even begin to fathom.
Old 06-22-15, 08:12 PM
sjs78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem isn't so much the fact they are spitting or blowing their nose, it's that they do it while still riding without caring who is around them. At that speed there is no way you can aim properly, let alone control where the drops of fluid are spraying. They just go into the air. Say you were in an elevator or on a bus, do you guys like it when people sneeze or cough without covering their mouth or nose? Intentional or not, those particles of bodily fluid are going all over the place into the air no matter how hard you try to 'aim' it downward. If you must do it, at least stop and do it to the side.
Old 06-22-15, 08:41 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

This RN wonders what the problem is with swallowing mucus/phlegm/snot or what the benefit is of expectorating it out of the body. Not talking about huge amounts - just typical nasal secretions. Agree that clearing the airway is a good thing.

Last edited by JanMM; 06-23-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 09:23 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Firing snot rockets while riding is a fine art,....But, I make sure there's no one in the line of fire.
+1. I need more practice though. Earlier this season blew one up onto my my eyeglasses. Now​ that is gross.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 06-22-15, 09:33 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The proper technique precedes a long, hard pull at the front.

As you pull off and drift back, you have earned the right to let it rip but to the left and away from the other riders who are hopefully deep into oxygen debt and thus unable or unwilling to sissy up and complain.

On the other hand a wheel sucker of a rider used the Italian Hanky right in front of me on a 400K Brevet on Saturday. I did not like getting wet. Bad form.
Old 06-22-15, 09:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by dipy911
People take tissues with them on bicycle rides??? Not me. If it's too much for the glove, then it's time to start spitting. Don't pass so close to me. It's still a 3 foot law for bicycles as well.
Yea, I've never heard of such a thing - nor while XC skiing.

I guess I'm surprised that anyone doesn't know that blowing snot rockets a normal part of any active outdoor activity. Use a tissue? On a bike? Really??

That said, good manners are in order. Don't blow a snot rocket if you know someone's behind you.
Old 06-22-15, 10:07 PM
bovine

Bikes: Yuba Mundo 4.3, 2007 Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Use a tissue? On a bike? Really??
I carry them when winter commuting. I don't see how it's a big deal; It's a few Kleenex as you head out the door. That said, if people want to blow on their gloves, that's fine. I just don't want to gunk them up and clean them every night as I'm going to have to use them the next day, and the next. Blowing into the wind isn't really a solution either as I don't want to accidentally muck up my work pants on the way in.

The people decrying blowing w/o a Kleenex as uncivilized are pretty over the top though.

I'm also a guy who has eight bungee cords of varying lengths strapped to his cargo bike at all times and a large bug-out grade first aid kit with a permanent place in my pannier, so perhaps a case could be made that I over-prepare.

Last edited by bovine; 06-22-15 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:23 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Sorry lil homey, athletes blow snot rockets. My wife is a master of the art.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.