Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What type of clipless pedal should a noob get?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What type of clipless pedal should a noob get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 04:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4781 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
I would think that if clipless pedals truly offer no advantage over platform pedals that there would be, at least, one pro on the tour that didn't have them.

GH
Yeah, I think the linked article was more about debate as to whether increased efficiency from clipless on an upstroke.. and doesn't really address the benefit of keeping your feet from coming off the pedal completely if not clipped in and trying to maintain a high RPM at high speed
Old 06-15-15, 07:03 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact

Here's what I use, along with some very comfortable, easily walkable, recessed cleat MTB/road shoes. Though I've been told I need to get road pedals & shoes so I can gain an extra 2mph everywhere. Um, ya that.
OK, so what model are they?
Old 06-15-15, 07:40 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Doh!

Shimano PD-M540 Clipless Pedal > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

They're M540's. I came from the Shimano Click'rs so transition was easy & I don't miss the surrounding platform thus I've never felt the need for any of the A-series pedals with surrounding platforms either.

These are the shoes I'm still using.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-2014-C.../dp/B00BSGLPVS

VERY comfortable. I tried on some newer MTB shoes w/ road-looking tops and they are nowhere NEAR as comfortable as the CT40's. (spoiled, for sure) I know the comfort comes at a cost of rigidity but, man, I dunno. I have yet to try some Specialized shoes and I know folks consider specialized the gold standard so we'll see.
Old 06-15-15, 10:13 AM
ClarkinHawaii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
Doh!

Shimano PD-M540 Clipless Pedal > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

They're M540's. I came from the Shimano Click'rs so transition was easy & I don't miss the surrounding platform thus I've never felt the need for any of the A-series pedals with surrounding platforms either.

These are the shoes I'm still using.

Amazon.com: Shimano 2014 Men's Commuter/Tour Cycling Shoes - SH-CT40: Sports & Outdoors

VERY comfortable. I tried on some newer MTB shoes w/ road-looking tops and they are nowhere NEAR as comfortable as the CT40's. (spoiled, for sure) I know the comfort comes at a cost of rigidity but, man, I dunno. I have yet to try some Specialized shoes and I know folks consider specialized the gold standard so we'll see.
Thanks.
Old 06-15-15, 08:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
TL;DR: I use MTB-style shoes and XC-style SPD pedals out of necessity.

With few exceptions, all the riders I know transitioned into clipless with SPD, namely the Shimano PD-M520/M540. So did I. But as my riding is in a suburban/urban environment, and a typical ride will see me unclip 50+ times and be off the bike 3-4 times, I switched to an "XC" style pedal, the Issi Trail. The larger "platform" compared to the 520/540 aids in clipping in quickly-- when trying to stay ahead of traffic, or at least out of it's way-- as well as giving more support to the foot (helpful if you have large feet, as I do.) If there are any real advantages to SPD-SL, and I question whether or not there are, I'm willing to trade them for the convenience of MTB-style shoes. I guess I don't ride my bike the way typical "road" cyclists do. I use it to get places. Stores. Doctor's appointments. The bank. So I need a shoe that won't have me penguin-waddle into the JoAnn Crafts to buy dowels.
Old 06-15-15, 08:59 PM
SynapseRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazy Dog
...so you'll wind up getting the Shinano Spd mountain bike clips and in a few months you'll want the Spd-SL Road version. Just skip the redundant products and go buy some SPD-SL Ultegra pedals and be happy for years.
Yep, that's what I did! Wasn't a good decision for me. If you think you might want road shoes and pedals I'd suggest going ahead and buying those.
Old 06-16-15, 07:11 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need to decide how you will be using your bike. For me, I jumped into SPD-SL and haven't been happier. I have only ridden my bike for my daily workouts, club rides and the occasional ride to work. I do not have plans to go shopping by bike or any other activity. In this regard, the road clipless has been awesome. I like the larger platform, the ease of engagement and what not.

I met someone who had Look Keo pedals and they told me they were not thrilled with them because they would flip over and wouldn't right themselves like the Shimano 105 do. His were upside down half the time. Mine, they always positioned so that the front was higher waiting and encouraging engagement of the cleat. For me, the cleat covers provide sufficient walking ability for the kinds of stops I plan on doing.

When I go to work on the bike, I bring a change of clothed anyway and have the choice of either leaving shoes at work or carrying them with me. They don't weigh that much.

And if I feel like doing some walking, I always can stick the PedalDabs and convert my clipless to platforms and wear regular sneakers but that has been very rare.

Each need to decide what their needs are and how beat to satisfy them.

good luck. I hope you are as happy about your pedals as I am.
Old 06-16-15, 03:23 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you decided on what set up your going to get? Whatever you decide is going to be a step up from standard pedals
Old 06-17-15, 10:25 AM
TheBlast82

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I decided to get MTB shoes and pedals for a couple of reasons:

1. I want to be able to walk with the shoes I buy. I've gone on a couple of errands for small items, for instance I went to Home Depot the other day to buy a stapler.

2. Price. I spent $64.98 on shoes and pedals.

3. To get experience and know what I want in the future. I can get all the advice in the world but if I never try anything, how will I know what I want? So pretty much what I paid for my set up is basically to educate myself and make a more informed decision with firsthand experience under my belt for a future set up.

4. I read good stuff about both the pedals and the shoes, mainly that this setup is great for beginners.

So this is what I got:

Shimano SH-XC30 MTB shoes $45.99
Shimano PD-M520 pedals $23.99

$5 discount promo and free shipping from Jenson it came just under $65

Last edited by TheBlast82; 06-17-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 09:07 PM
TheBlast82

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My stuff finally arrived today... put the cleats and the pedals on and started practicing clipping in and out by holding on to a kitchen counter and at first I couldn't clip in the left foot for ish, the right foot was a little easier but I still wasn't getting it. Then I saw in the instructions that I had to adjust the tensioning (is this the "float"?) and I set it to the "weakest" position (Most float?) on all four screws and clipping in and out was a breeze. Practiced for literally 2 minutes and decided to go for a spin around the neighborhood as I already felt somewhat confident... I gotta say Clipless pedals feel great, they feel natural as if I had been missing clipless pedals my whole life, lol. They feel so natural to me that the only thing I see myself having a problem with, is remembering to unclip when coming to a stop.

Im very happy with my purchase and I recommend any new guys on the fence about going clipless to get this setup, shoes feel light but snug, firm and comfortable and clipping in and out, once you set the tensioning you feel comfortable with, becomes second nature and you cant beat the price: just under $65 for this set up... it's a no brainer.

Again thank you all for all the help, feedback, recommendations and the reassuring comments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
forum21.jpg (98.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-24-15, 09:33 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started with a Shimano copy of an old Look Peddle that uses a Delta Cleat. Still using those peddles becase they work.
Old 06-25-15, 05:34 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Float is the amount of rotation the pedal will allow before resistance is met for disengagement. For SPD-SL, the amount of float or horizontal rotation is determined by the cleat. I think the range is from 0 to 9 degree typically with 4.5 or 6 degrees as most often used.
Old 06-25-15, 05:59 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 73 and have used SPDs for about a year and a half with only one tumble..the first ride. There are two things I like about them; first is the feeling of being 'connected' to the bike. I realize that's a feel good issue but it contributes to my enjoyment of riding. The second is alignment of my feet on the pedals. Perhaps it may be a an age thing but my 73 year old knees are sensitive to alignment and this ensures I have the same foot position every time I ride and that means less knee pain and discomfort. Hope that explanation helps.

Rich