Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Coffee and the process.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Coffee and the process.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 05:13 PM
chubbyhubs

Bikes: Surly DT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I'm not a snob about coffee. I just truly enjoy a nice cup of unadulterated coffee and time to play ball with my dog in the mornings.

Since I never leave home with out the hydro flask. I am getting this to make drip coffee by pouring hot water into my hydro flask. This will provide me with a flask of coffee for each day, or until I get to a store and want to fill the flask with ice for that nights other luxury (a splash of rye on ice).

thanks again
Old 06-30-15, 05:23 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chubbyhubs
While I'm not a snob about coffee. I just truly enjoy a nice cup of unadulterated coffee and time to play ball with my dog in the mornings.

Since I never leave home with out the hydro flask. I am getting this to make drip coffee by pouring hot water into my hydro flask. This will provide me with a flask of coffee for each day, or until I get to a store and want to fill the flask with ice for that nights other luxury (a splash of rye on ice).

thanks again
Original list price $99.00 marked down to $6.34. Quite a bargain
Old 06-30-15, 05:29 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't settle for drip! French press it all the way.
Old 06-30-15, 08:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 777 Posts
I use a Bodum French press travel mug. I have used a French press travel mug from REI in the past as well. I prefer the Bodum. I used it on tour and also weekly as I travel. Until last month I traveled all over the world on ships and hated the coffee, so I made my own in one of these. The Bodum seals well and keeps the coffee hot for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Insulate...ss+travel++mug
Old 06-30-15, 09:21 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I'm no barista but had gathered the impression that cold-brew tends to extract some of the less-flavorful compounds while insufficiently extracting others. Have used plain grocery-store instant on camping; bitter flavor is sort of bracing actually, feels like "roughing it". In olden-days US the avg family started day w/instant coffee--generous amounts of cream & sugar drowned out the crap flavor heh. Even then there was noticeable difference between the cheaper vs better instants. Haven't tried Via yet but I'd guess it has to be 2 or 3X better than old instants.

After all, even on rural tours now, one will probably encounter gas stations etc w/pretty decent (if not gourmet) coffee. IE endure a cup of instant for breakfast but fill up coffee bottle later in the morning.
Old 07-01-15, 06:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by hilltowner
Original list price $99.00 marked down to $6.34. Quite a bargain
Would you (or anyone) have paid $99 for that? Maybe there is a reason it is marked down.
Old 07-01-15, 08:33 AM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
here's my take on coffee and touring: simply said, won't do without it. i enjoy camping coffee far too much to do without. on my touring steed, i have carried a Coleman Peak 442 multi-fuel stove and a small percolator. the stove is admittedly a bit on the heavier side of life, but that it is multi-fuel (that is, uses unleaded gas which is available EVERYWHERE) makes it a very convenient option for me. crank it up in the morning, brew up a small pot and good to go with about 3 cups of java. heat up some water for instant oatmeal or grits and i'm off to a great start. well worth carrying the apparatus for that kind of morning camping experience on the bike.
Old 07-01-15, 08:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Have Ortlieb's fold flat coffee filter cone support
https://www.ortliebusa.com/prodInfo.asp?pid=2&cid=2

And got a Reusable cotton filter cone ,
bought the small vacuum-packed cubes of ground coffee..

But on the road I often bought coffee and breakfast in a Cafe, and did a sponge bath in their WC,
after wild camping the night before.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-02-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 09:54 AM
dh024

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have carried my Aeropress and the MSR french press/mug contraption. I have tried Starbucks Via (not bad) and other instant coffees, to save weight and hassle. But what I have settled on is probably the simplest and lowest-cost solution out there to fresh coffee:

Coffee Filters | Cook & Grill | Coghlan's

Not sure why I never gave this a try before, as they have been around forever, but they are actually quite awesome: light weight, no clean-up, and I just carry a bag of ground coffee and some filters in my mug. Easy.
Old 07-01-15, 12:06 PM
chubbyhubs

Bikes: Surly DT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should have known that coffee would be like a saddle conversation.
Old 07-01-15, 10:21 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
here's my take on coffee and touring: simply said, won't do without it. i enjoy camping coffee far too much to do without. on my touring steed, i have carried a Coleman Peak 442 multi-fuel stove and a small percolator. the stove is admittedly a bit on the heavier side of life, but that it is multi-fuel (that is, uses unleaded gas which is available EVERYWHERE) makes it a very convenient option for me. crank it up in the morning, brew up a small pot and good to go with about 3 cups of java. heat up some water for instant oatmeal or grits and i'm off to a great start. well worth carrying the apparatus for that kind of morning camping experience on the bike.
Didn't know they make small percolators. In 50's/60's percolators were std choice for Americans who wanted fresh vs instant. But after various drip devices became popular the coffee gourmets claimed percolators were no good 'cause they 'over-extracted' or something. I dunno, percolators probably got a bad rap since the coffee used wasn't so great itself. Plus one can always control percolation time to avoid over-extraction. I suppose Turkish coffee could be an option for tourers, the smaller pots are fairly compact. Tried to make it at home a couple of times & it didn't turn out nice like in Turkish restaurant, something of an art-form I guess.
Old 07-02-15, 10:06 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
OK, here's my zenful advice: If you like your French Press, just carry the device and enjoy a proper cup of coffee. It's the coffe you enjoy, not the saving of an ounce or two. I am not a true coffee snob, but I find some of the previous suggestions a bit questionable. If the lightweight methods deliver a second rate cup, why bother?
Old 07-02-15, 01:39 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my tour last summer, I used a MSR MugMate, along with my spill-proof stainless steel vacuum insulated tumbler (which allowed me to make/purchase a cup for later). It worked so well that I still haven't switched back to my French press, ten months after my return. The coffee is just as good (the brew process is substantially the same), and the cleanup is much faster. The only downside to the MugMate versus a French press is that the coffee head remains in the filter with the grounds, but I don't find that to be more than an aesthetic drawback.
Old 07-06-15, 05:33 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Instant is disgusting, and while I'd rather down a cup than suffer caffeine withdrawal headaches, it is not an experience to look forward to.

The Bodum French Press is nice, but it's hard to clean, and even though you can store some extra water in there, it is bulky and takes up too much space.

The solution: Turkish coffee (aka Cowboy coffee). The best (and cheapest) way to make coffee is to put a scoop in a mug with your hot water, stir it up, then wait about 20 seconds for the grounds to fall to the bottom. As long as you don't slosh around the cup, they will stay at the bottom until almost the last sip. Simple and easy to clean. It actually makes a pretty good cup also - don't knock it until you try it. I had to convince my friend to give it a shot, and he was surprised to find that it was actually quite good.
Old 07-06-15, 05:44 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 110 Posts
Coffee and the process.

I know this is blasphemy, but if you ONLY drink Nescafé on tour, after a while you forget what real coffee tastes like... and actually it starts tasting good. Admit it, when did you drink only nescafé for a month or so the last time, huh?

Oh, and when you get back home and make your first pot with your favourite beans and drink it from your favourite cup... :sensual meltdown:
Old 07-06-15, 05:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5981 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,610 Posts
I use a single cup drip cone both at home and on the road. There are a number of makers and you have choices of materials, ir. glass, plastic and stain less steel, and the option to use paper filters or permanent filters. I use paper filters because the cleanup is easier.

The units weigh nothing, sit on your cup, and take no space in your pack because something else (socks?) can be put in the cone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-06-15, 10:00 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I drink coffee and enjoy it twice a day, and of course, current cups size probably makes that a real 6 cup habit. I don't see the benefit when riding all day, water is what my body craves and screwing with the motor is not something I need with the stress of doing 80-90 miles a day with my old bod. What I don't get is any withdrawal symptoms. I'm sure I would if I went off coffee at home, but there is such a change in touring any way that I don't have a problem dumping the coffee.
Old 07-07-15, 05:19 PM
gt3john

Bikes: Rodriguez Adventure, Lemond Buenos Aires, Moto Le Champion Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fietsbob mentioned using a cotton filter. Since you said you wanted to avoid using disposable materials, see what you can find about cloth filters. Here's a selection, including a travel filter.
Old 07-07-15, 06:18 PM
wajg3

Bikes: Bike Friday (NWT), Rocky Mountain Blizzard 30.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife is a coffee person too. I just got her one of these Java Presses. It is light, easy to clean and can fit in a bottle cage.

GSI Commuter Java Press - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
Old 07-07-15, 07:38 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'm a coffee snob but I do use the Via packets when biking or kayaking. They make for a pretty decent cup, considering. I do like the idea of using the Turkish coffee suggested above too; I'll have to give that one a try.

Keith
Old 07-08-15, 02:41 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Coffee and the process.

You wanna try something disgusting? I was out of fuel so I made instant coffee with cold water... Had to do that for a few days running, on top of which it was near freezing point and my feet and shoes were wet!
Blääääh!!!!
Old 07-08-15, 02:45 AM
imi
aka Timi

Coffee and the process.

There was a guy on here who said he mixed instant coffee in with his morning hot porridge, to save having to carry a mug.

I still haven't plucked up the courage to try that