Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ORA titanium retailer or wholesale group buy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ORA titanium retailer or wholesale group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 11:49 AM
hause

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
There have been a few threads here and there on BF regarding this. Here's one; unfortunately, many of the images that once made the thread of interest are no longer available.

After a bike mechanic friend looked over my then-new BD Motobecane, saying the welds looked very good, I started to look at the welds on various titanium frames, just out of curiosity. I've been to an LBS that stocks a decent selection of titanium frames, and asked them about the welds on the frames they had at the time (Moots, et al.). The owner of the shop told me one way that you can make a weld look good is to weld/go over the bead twice. Some high end Ti frames are apparently welded in this way.

Regarding the purchase of ORA frames, you may want to consider this eBay seller.

There is no bike shops like that near me, idk even know of any like that on the east coast.
Old 07-09-15, 01:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hause
That's what I'm saying, I'm sure its a long shot and would take alot of work to make it happen. But I know there's 20 ppl on BF that would pay $600 for a custom Ti or SS frame :/
Surely you don't think you would get the same price for 20 frames that BD gets for a 1,000!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-09-15, 02:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18427 Post(s)
Liked 4,546 Times in 3,378 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Surely you don't think you would get the same price for 20 frames that BD gets for a 1,000!
BD only has 1 unbuilt Titanium frame in stock. Are you sure they are buying them 1000 at a time? Do they buy year-end closeouts? They probably have quite a total volume... including a lot of Motobecane bikes, but I doubt their bare titanium frames are that high. And most of the people I see jumping on Forums asking about BD bikes are asking about $500 bikes and not $2000 bikes.

I'm seeing other Titanium Cross frames on E-Bay starting around $1000... But, my guess is there is a hefty markup on those too.

Nova sells Titanium Tube kits for about $370 (Plus BB shells, dropouts, and etc), but no doubt there is a markup on those too.

One really needs to contact the supplier, convince them that one will make the order, and get a "real" price before negotiating anything.

But it is an expensive gamble for an individual, and there are a lot of options to work out for a group purchase.

Frame, Fork, Size, Style, etc.
Old 07-09-15, 02:23 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
BD only has 1 unbuilt Titanium frame in stock. Are you sure they are buying them 1000 at a time? Do they buy year-end closeouts? They probably have quite a total volume... including a lot of Motobecane bikes...
A couple of times in this thread you've talked about Motobecane as if it were a real bike company. Odd.
Old 07-09-15, 02:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

BD only has 1 unbuilt Titanium frame in stock. Are you sure they are buying them 1000 at a time? Do they buy year-end closeouts? They probably have quite a total volume... including a lot of Motobecane bikes, but I doubt their bare titanium frames are that high. And most of the people I see jumping on Forums asking about BD bikes are asking about $500 bikes and not $2000 bikes.

I'm seeing other Titanium Cross frames on E-Bay starting around $1000... But, my guess is there is a hefty markup on those too.

Nova sells Titanium Tube kits for about $370 (Plus BB shells, dropouts, and etc), but no doubt there is a markup on those too.

One really needs to contact the supplier, convince them that one will make the order, and get a "real" price before negotiating anything.

But it is an expensive gamble for an individual, and there are a lot of options to work out for a group purchase.

Frame, Fork, Size, Style, etc.
Yes, but what about all the built bikes. They are part of the total. In fact, BD may build them.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-09-15, 03:15 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by dr_lha
A couple of times in this thread you've talked about Motobecane as if it were a real bike company. Odd.
There is, in fact, a Motobecane USA (as well as a French Motobecane).

I'm not sure about international trademark laws.... Probably the rights to use the name were sold in the USA, then divided up.

Odd that Kinesis manufactures both the Dawes and Motobecane bikes on BD... Except.. perhaps the titanium ones????
Old 07-09-15, 08:00 PM
hause

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard back from a Rikulau US distributor today regarding pricing on one of their ORA framed cyclocross bikes, its renolds 931 w/ 105, I was quoted $5000.00... not what I was expecting
Cyclocross Bike?Reynolds931?Illusion
Old 07-09-15, 08:01 PM
hause

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I requested pricing form ORA on a few different frames, order size 20 units on each one, I'll let you guys know if I hear back.
Old 07-09-15, 08:25 PM
RedVVing19

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If BD had their titanium road frame with S&S Couplers I would order immediately
Old 07-09-15, 08:52 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by hause
I heard back from a Rikulau US distributor today regarding pricing on one of their ORA framed cyclocross bikes, its renolds 931 w/ 105, I was quoted $5000.00... not what I was expecting
Cyclocross Bike?Reynolds931?Illusion
Nice bike, but whew, that is expensive

Originally Posted by RedVVing19
If BD had their titanium road frame with S&S Couplers I would order immediately
Unfortunately S&S are pretty restrictive for use by small shops and home builders.

I did snag a steel S&S frame... with suitcase, but unfortunately the BB appears stripped... So another project, either repairing the BB, going threadless, or salvaging parts. I'm still trying to decide what to do with that one.

There is a Litespeed frame with S&S Couplers on E-Bay now. Apparently an Engima titanium frame recently sold.

Litespeed Natchez s s Couplers Travel Road Bike Frame 700c 57cm Large Titanium | eBay
Titanium Carbon Fiber Frame Set with s s Couplers 57cm by Enigma | eBay
Old 07-09-15, 09:42 PM
RedVVing19

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike, but whew, that is expensive

Unfortunately S&S are pretty restrictive for use by small shops and home builders.

I did snag a steel S&S frame... with suitcase, but unfortunately the BB appears stripped... So another project, either repairing the BB, going threadless, or salvaging parts. I'm still trying to decide what to do with that one.

There is a Litespeed frame with S&S Couplers on E-Bay now. Apparently an Engima titanium frame recently sold.

Litespeed Natchez s s Couplers Travel Road Bike Frame 700c 57cm Large Titanium | eBay
Titanium Carbon Fiber Frame Set with s s Couplers 57cm by Enigma | eBay
I am a 52cm size, really the only reasonably prized production titanium travel that I am aware of is the Ritchey frame
Old 07-09-15, 09:50 PM
rpenmanparker 

I am a 52cm size, really the only reasonably prized production titanium travel that I am aware of is the Ritchey frame
That is a good choice, but I really don't like the carbon stays. I had the steel version and loved it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-09-15, 10:22 PM
CliffordK

Do you need round tubes for the S&S Couplers?
That could become a major limitation now, and heading into the future as there are more shaped tubes being used. Perhaps the downtubes hit a transition point between vertical and horizontal shaping where the couplers can be installed.

There are a few companies who will retrofit S&S couplers into a frame. Perhaps talk to a few small builders.

It looks like ticycles in Portland will install the S&S Couplers for about $1000.
https://ticycles.com/TCF/pricelist-sands.pdf

Anyway, you could hunt for a small cheap titanium frame with round tubes, and get the couplers retrofitted.
Old 07-09-15, 11:46 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quite possibly, but they don't have to be that cheap to sell. They could bump them up a couple or three hundred bucks and still sell a pants load of them. As it is, I think they just turn customers off and send them to Habanero. And why are they still showing the 2013 model? Something is cocked up. Maybe a falling out with ORA.
If I were looking for a Ti frame at a reasonable price, I'd look at Habanero. Custom Ti at a reasonable price.
Old 07-10-15, 12:07 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
There is, in fact, a Motobecane USA (as well as a French Motobecane).

I'm not sure about international trademark laws.... Probably the rights to use the name were sold in the USA, then divided up.

Odd that Kinesis manufactures both the Dawes and Motobecane bikes on BD... Except.. perhaps the titanium ones????
The french motobecane went out of business 35 years ago, the trademark expired and bikes direct started using the name. Motobecane USA, Mercier, Dawes, Windsor are all names owned by bikesdirect.
Old 07-10-15, 02:17 AM
rpenmanparker 

Do you need round tubes for the S&S Couplers?
That could become a major limitation now, and heading into the future as there are more shaped tubes being used. Perhaps the downtubes hit a transition point between vertical and horizontal shaping where the couplers can be installed.

There are a few companies who will retrofit S&S couplers into a frame. Perhaps talk to a few small builders.

It looks like ticycles in Portland will install the S&S Couplers for about $1000.
https://ticycles.com/TCF/pricelist-sands.pdf

Anyway, you could hunt for a small cheap titanium frame with round tubes, and get the couplers retrofitted.
I think there are either shaped couplers for shaped tubes OR oversize round couplers in which the extra space is filled in when shaped tubes are used. S&S are very good to work with even though they don't sell to the retail public. They will be happy to answer your questions and send you to an appropriate builder fro what you need.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-10-15, 07:55 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by rms13
The french motobecane went out of business 35 years ago, the trademark expired and bikes direct started using the name. Motobecane USA, Mercier, Dawes, Windsor are all names owned by bikesdirect.
Exactly. This is my point about Motobecane not being a real bike company. It's just a sticker that BD gets it's manufacturers to put on their stock frames. Another part of BD's shady practices really, selling fake bike brands and setting up websites for them pretending they're a real company, but when you dig into the website, they are surprisingly light on facts about who they are.
Old 07-10-15, 08:13 AM
rpenmanparker 

Exactly. This is my point about Motobecane not being a real bike company. It's just a sticker that BD gets it's manufacturers to put on their stock frames. Another part of BD's shady practices really, selling fake bike brands and setting up websites for them pretending they're a real company, but when you dig into the website, they are surprisingly light on facts about who they are.
You are being too hard on BD. It is a time-honored practice for certain bicycle brands to be nothing more than marketing outlets for bikes that are designed and built by a totally different organization. The name is just that, only a name. Take Centurion for example. That was just a marketing company that sold bikes built by someone else. Diamondback too back in the day if I am not mistaken.

Yes, there used to be a real company called Motobecane, and a naïf could be confused or misled, but it doesn't seem like a serious transgression to me. Just think of Motobecane as a line of bikes that BD sells. Similarly Competitive Cyclist owns the Merlin label now and has "Merlin" bikes built for them by a unrelated manufacturing company. It is a common practice and not so awful.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-10-15, 08:29 AM
dr_lha

Yes, there used to be a real company called Motobecane, and a naïf could be confused or misled, but it doesn't seem like a serious transgression to me. Just think of Motobecane as a line of bikes that BD sells. Similarly Competitive Cyclist owns the Merlin label now and has "Merlin" bikes built for them by a unrelated manufacturing company. It is a common practice and not so awful.
I agree that it's not that serious, and it has been common in the industry to rebadge generic frames and sell them as a brand in the past.

BD just does this on a grand scale though, with, what, 5 fake brands? Off the top of my head Dawes USA, Motobecane USA, Windsor, Gravity, Mercier. Each with it's own website, not mentioning their affiliation with Bikesdirect in any way. Also those websites (which mostly are out of date) have fake inflated MSRPs on them, which would appear exist only to back up BD's claim of drastic "savings" on the bikes they sell. Sorry, but it's shady IMHO.
Old 07-10-15, 08:47 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There are a ton of captive brands in other arenas as well - tons in the automotive world, each grocery store chain has its own in-house brand, Starbucks has Tazo for tea, so on and so forth.
Old 07-10-15, 08:51 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
There are a ton of captive brands in other arenas as well - tons in the automotive world, each grocery store chain has its own in-house brand, Starbucks has Tazo for tea, so on and so forth.

Right, go to the Tazo website and at the bottom you will see that it says "© 2015 Starbucks Corporation."

As I said I'm not saying it's not common practice, I just think the way that BD are going about it is shady.
Old 07-10-15, 09:02 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I agree BD's marketing is misleading and I understand why they started out the way they did but BD is an established brand now and they would be better off using their own name on all the bikes (although their name is stupid). But I think of them as similar to Planet X (who have a much cooler name). What BD should really do is sell Bikesdirect brand bikes but have all unbranded frames. I think their customer base doesn't care about the name on the frame and there is a whole other customer base that doesn't want to ride one because of stigma that would ride an unbranded bike
Old 07-10-15, 09:03 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Right, go to the Tazo website and at the bottom you will see that it says "© 2015 Starbucks Corporation."

As I said I'm not saying it's not common practice, I just think the way that BD are going about it is shady.
How is it different?
Old 07-10-15, 09:13 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
How is it different?
Because, as I said in my earlier posts, they don't mention their affiliation with BD on these websites. Tazo does mention who owns it. That and the fake MSRPs I mentioned earlier. *IMHO* it's a bit of a shady business practice to do this.
Old 07-10-15, 09:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Because, as I said in my earlier posts, they don't mention their affiliation with BD on these websites. Tazo does mention who owns it. That and the fake MSRPs I mentioned earlier. *IMHO* it's a bit of a shady business practice to do this.
Most people going to the grocery story and picking up a box of tea won't know. They won't know that Best Buy makes (I think) Sylvania TVs, or that Target makes the Archer Farms food line. I think you're assuming people are much better-informed than they really are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.