Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 02:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18552 Post(s)
Liked 15,943 Times in 7,488 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
How hard can posting your GPS to Facebook be? I haven't done it, yet. But I see where Strava lets you press a button, and your ride goes to Facebook. How hard is that? Of course, if you haven't been riding, you might not have any rides that could be posted on FB.

GH
Haters gonna hate hate hate hate.

I guess it's tough when your hands are greasy from eating wings and potato skins.
Old 08-03-15, 02:57 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Somebody kept trying to get him to use strava but he never even replied. His phone will do anything that goofy GPS thing will do, and it's unlikely he'll get out of cell phone range anywhere he's going.

Well, it's another gadget to charge. What on earth does he have all over the front handlebars of that bike, speaking of gadgets. And how tall is FGAA? He can't be much over 5 feet the way that bike is set up.

Ah well, tomorrow is the big day- allegedly hitting the open road for glory and fame. I hope he has room in his trailer for his wife's stuff.
Old 08-03-15, 02:58 PM
fmt_biker

Bikes: Trek 970, Surly LHT,Gunnar Roadie, Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just (finally) read the original articles, and noticed that it said he had been a smoker. I also notice in one of the FB pictures (the one where he is on the scale) he has a cigarette lighter in his hand. I wonder if he still smokes, that couldn't help either.
Old 08-03-15, 04:07 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Give him a damn break. He's too busy not riding to answer you.

Seriously....That seems to be his canned response lately. He's going to respond to this at that question soon. He's going to be posting his route soon. He's going to be adding photos and video soon. He's going to be posting GPS information soon. If he's not riding (his conflicting claims in that regard have me scratching my head), what in the world is he doing all day?

I tour. From the photos I have seen, his tent is huge and heavy. One photo shows numerous 2L soda bottles. Now I fully understand the occasional need to carry extra disposable bottles when you ride through long stretches with no potable water, but that's not what he's doing. Not even close. And I am not sure if you know that he was/is a self-confessed hoarder. I think it's mentioned on his web site.
Originally Posted by Haff
Well, he didn't delete it. He even replied saying he would answer soon. Whatever that means.
Keep in mind those generic responses may not even be from him. He now has a "team" to help him update so he can get the rest that was prescribed to him. Gimme a break, what's he need a team for? What is he resting from? He doesn't work, hasn't ridden his bike farther than a city block.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
What on earth DOES he do all day?
That's the $10,000 question! Especially since he's "too busy" to respond to comments or make new blog posts, since he had to assign those duties to a friend/relative. If he's not riding, he must be just sitting around thinking about how he's going to spend that $15000 he's going to inherit from the poor saps who bought his scam hook, line & sinker.

edit: Oh wait, I recall he said he's been working with the press for more interviews so I guess that's what he's been doing all day. Why would the press interview a man for not doing anything?
Old 08-03-15, 04:15 PM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Well, I think you phrased your question in an interesting enough way that he might be tempted to answer.

"It would be cool to see in a couple months what was useful"... yeah, if you need to know what to bring to get from the western border of MASS to the eastern border of RI.

What on earth DOES he do all day?
my guess, manipulate his manhood while eating ice cream
Old 08-03-15, 04:23 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbroke
my guess, manipulate his manhood while eating ice cream
Buwahahahaha
Old 08-03-15, 05:10 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by fmt_biker
I just (finally) read the original articles, and noticed that it said he had been a smoker. I also notice in one of the FB pictures (the one where he is on the scale) he has a cigarette lighter in his hand. I wonder if he still smokes, that couldn't help either.
Nothing like some good weed before a Dunkin Donut.

I don't think that's FGAA's arm though.. scale operator?

Last edited by trailangel; 08-03-15 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 05:23 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Think about this, regardless of what circumstantial evidence may be pointing to..... He may be paralyzed by fear of what he has committed to do, so much that instead of getting going, he is using "preparing" as an excuse to not "do". I'm not saying that's it, because if I was a jury of 12 I'd agree with a bunch of what is being said in this thread, but it is a possibility.
Old 08-03-15, 06:34 PM
Rhites

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His wife's video blog before she leaves on her flight to go to Newport,RI. It can be viewed on Erics personal FB page. She stated that Eric sent her a plane ticket and when she arrives in RI they are going to go the next day and purchase her a bike and equipment and she wil be riding with him. She also says in the video that it has been 13 years since she has even been on a bicycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (91.2 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Rhites; 08-03-15 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 06:46 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh geez! If they're serious (they aren't) they'll go pick up a pair of Long Haul Truckers with panniers, ditch the trailer and start riding.
Old 08-03-15, 07:20 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Holy moly. Riding across the U.S. Is NOT something to be attempted by such inexperienced, out of shape folks on a whim. Planning and appropriate preparation plus starting on the road before August .... This is a train wreck but then again I have doubted since early on this was a serious venture and not just a scam
Old 08-03-15, 07:23 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have not totally given up on him yet. Here is why. He has been successful in getting a lot of donations for his trip. Either he has to give up soon and be remembered as a scam artist or he has to finish what he started to keep face. If he takes a look at his current health condition and gets serious about his health and wanting to live, he might just do it! It will be a slow and painful trip. I would never offer him money, but if he cycled through my area I would be happy to host him for a night or two and ride with him to his next stop.
Old 08-03-15, 07:26 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Now he has added his wife to the riding across America deal. He would be better off to have her drive support vehicle. SMH.
Old 08-03-15, 07:27 PM
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper 29 (single-speed), Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But it definitely throws a wrench into the "it's all a scam" theory. When you look at her FB page, she's been posting for days about her upcoming trip, and even had a farewell party last night, with friends. That's not something you do to scam somebody.
I mean, notwithstanding his past, maybe he really *does* want to turn around his life. There's of course no chance they'll make it to the west coast, but hey, maybe this is now a "we'll see how far we get" kind of thing.

Last edited by Fahrradfahrer; 08-03-15 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 07:30 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Why? She's in no shape for such a trip. Helps boost donations. One of them will get hurt or claim to and end of ride across America. I bet in fact SHE is the one who gets hurt such that HE has to quit to care for her. Meanwhile donations roll in.
Old 08-03-15, 07:33 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Holy moly. Riding across the U.S. Is NOT something to be attempted by such inexperienced, out of shape folks on a whim. Planning and appropriate preparation plus starting on the road before August .... This is a train wreck but then again I have doubted since early on this was a serious venture and not just a scam

He started 2 months ago, at the beginning of June. And he's only made it about 50 miles.

That's about a mile a day on average. He could walk faster at this point.
Old 08-03-15, 07:53 PM
Rhites

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty impressive that someone(Angie) that has had leukemia,MS & Lupus(her words,not mine)has filed for disability(denied) would even attempt such a trip. Not to mention being in the physical shape she is in. Being extremely overweight and a smoker. And as far as it not being a scam because of a going away party being thrown in her honor. The bar(hole in the wall)that the going away party was held in is in Montezuma,IN.Ole Louie's Saloon,is owned by her father. They tend to throw a party for pretty much everybody and everything that happens in that one stop sign town. It has that bar and a Dollar General. That's it.

Last edited by Rhites; 08-03-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 08:04 PM
Fahrradfahrer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know. What made me reconsider was the number of friends (as evidenced by the photos on FB) that were there. While I can sorta buy that two married people would scam the world, dragging your friends into it just sounds very unlikely.
Now, that doesn't mean they're not gonna bail out at the first sign of trouble. But I just don't think it's an outright scam.
Old 08-03-15, 08:10 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Friends or bar patrons? Regardless I'm not betting on a long trip once the two actually start riding "if ever"
Old 08-03-15, 08:13 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be shocked if they make it back to Indiana by November...

...by bicycle anyway
Old 08-03-15, 08:14 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

I'm skeptical of this lasting as I recently experienced a sort of tour ride that was SUPPORTED. It was harder and more discomfort than I expected as I had trained.

Do I want this to fail? No. Do I expect it to sooner than later? Yes
Old 08-03-15, 08:22 PM
Fahrradfahrer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two obese smokers with trailers behind them, with one of the two not having been on a bike for 13 years? Of course it will fail. Philly, their first stop, would already be an amazing achievement for them.
Old 08-03-15, 09:33 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Is Philly their real first stop? Don't they need to get out if RI first and thru CT? Unless I misread what plan was.
Old 08-03-15, 09:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5928 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,574 Posts
I....Unless I misread what plan was.
Plan? There's a Plan??

So far he's gone a whopping 50 miles or so (out of roughly 3,000), in a bit over a month. At this rate he might get to Philadelphia sometime in April 2016.

If this isn't a scam outright, it's the worst start on a trip ever and he'd be farther along if he just walked an hour a day.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-03-15, 10:11 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhites
His wife's video blog before she leaves on her flight to go to Newport,RI. It can be viewed on Erics personal FB page. She stated that Eric sent her a plane ticket and when she arrives in RI they are going to go the next day and purchase her a bike and equipment and she wil be riding with him. She also says in the video that it has been 13 years since she has even been on a bicycle.
I'm loving the inside angle by the way.

I'm skeptical of this lasting as I recently experienced a sort of tour ride that was SUPPORTED. It was harder and more discomfort than I expected as I had trained.

Do I want this to fail? No. Do I expect it to sooner than later? Yes
Yeah, you were riding 100 miles a day, not 0 miles per day. I find that riding 0 miles per day is pretty easy to accomplish, matter of fact, I did that last week.

OK - reality check. If she's going to BUY a bike when she gets to Newport, who thinks the shop has to order one and it takes 4-6 weeks to arrive. Ordering a new bike in August is never smooth because its the end of the model year.

What's the over/under on when they get to Connecticut? I'm going to go with Sept. 30. I mean, it's about 40 miles, which is roughly a 3 hour ride for an unladen cyclist who rides periodically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.