Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do young people know anything any more

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do young people know anything any more

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 11:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would have been more than happy to put your chain back on too. I stop to help anyone I can. Im retired, capable, and have the time to help. Plus I carry quite a few tools.
Do you have a tool that will stop the city of Lincoln from wanting to "fix" bike paths and roads? It seems the city is trying to make it impossible for anyone on either bike or in car to get around

Ofc, it is also the season when the college kids return. OTOH, lately some of my routes on the south/SW end of town have much more cyclists out on them than I've seen in a while, most even riding safely.
Old 09-13-15, 01:33 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Why? FB has a point. People have to learn how to do things since they aren't born with knowledge. There are a whole host of things that people ought to "know"...even "old" people... but don't. Things like physics, chemistry, biology, literature, how to fix a bike, how a damned double hung window works and why you shouldn't paint the damned thing shut!, etc. I've seen plenty of people do worse than not how how to put a chain back on. Shaking your head and saying "kids now days!" is just being divisive.

I say more power to the "Internet" generation. They have more information and knowledge available at their fingertips than I've ever had. Even I, who has lots of mechanical experience with bicycle and teach people how to fix their bikes, can appreciate being able to go out the the Internet and look at a video for something that I've never worked with before. Knowledge makes me a better mechanic and a better teacher of bicycle mechanics.

And, frankly, at my weekly volunteer job as a mechanic at my local bicycle co-op, I see lots of people...young and old...who are ignorant of how their bicycle works. I also see lots of "young" people who are whip smart about it too.

Look ok back a few posts, you'll see I corrected myself.
Old 09-13-15, 02:49 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Sounds like a couple folks are due for their Geritol and clean diapers.
On both sides of the equation.......
Old 09-13-15, 04:35 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
YOWZA! This is powerful! Did you write this, Habilis, or are you quoting someone? I'd like to hang up a copy at work, if you don't mind. I think it might inspire some of the young people I work with.
Thanks - I wrote it myself. This what old guys are thinking about when they look like they're sitting around doing nothing.
Old 09-13-15, 07:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I would have been more than happy to put your chain back on too. I stop to help anyone I can. Im retired, capable, and have the time to help. Plus I carry quite a few tools.
I was just being silly with my comment, but you are a wonderful ambassador for cycling.

Originally Posted by habilis
Thanks - I wrote it myself. This what old guys are thinking about when they look like they're sitting around doing nothing.
Old 09-13-15, 08:13 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I wanted to post something like, "dudes, this is way too deep for Bicycle Mechanics."

Originally Posted by habilis
What is the most important, defining attribute of human beings? Many would say it's the human brain; few would say it's the human hand. However, our brains didn't begin to develop rapidly until we became bipedal and our hands were freed to do work.

Our hands are the most versatile and wonderful tools in existence, yet we are (as a society) ashamed of using them. Like the ancient Chinese aristocrats, we are proud of weak, soft hands that prove we have never done manual labor. (The ancient Mandarins grew their fingernails long to show their disdain for manual labor; western women, in particular, emulate that behavior, but men are often similarly preoccupied with manicuring their nails.)

I once overheard a mother telling her son that he must go to college so that "you'll never have to work with your hands." I know what she meant: As a rule, the better-salaried members of our society seldom get their hands dirty. But when we push the importance of hands and handiwork into the background, we are, in fact, denying our humanness. If we never work with our hands, we become less human. We disconnect ourselves from the physical world and wonder why we are so unhappy - why no amount of TV, social networking, or drug use can make us happy.

The decision to raise healthy, self-reliant children should not rest with the individual parent, especially since so many parents were themselves deprived of experience with tools. It is the responsibility of the whole society to provide a balanced education (including familiarity with tools and materials) to every child through the public school system.
But posts like this one make it more than worthwhile.

However, I do have a slight counter point to this. When I was growing up my dad would say to me, "you can make a living working with your brain or working with your back." He did not say "hands" and was referring something like construction or any number of manual labor jobs. He pointed out that your back doesn't last very long in some of those jobs. He grew up without money and worked a lot of those. I'm now a mechanical engineer and happy for it. I love getting my hands dirty but I think I'd get tired of it if I had to do it for a living.
Old 09-13-15, 11:19 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Now now. 95% of adults and kids do not tie their shoes properly. Especially the ones that claim to "know".

Almost everyone ties "granny knots" and not proper shoelace knots, hell both my parents taught me wrong too...which is why everyone resorts to kludges likes "double" knotting to keep their shoes tied-because the base knot is tied wrong. Then I became enlightened due to being a stage hand...

Ian's Shoelace Site - The "Granny Knot"

Once you know what to look for, you can spot improper shoelace knots 20ft away.

I've attempted to explain this to friends & family for years- with very limited success.

Don't spend much time looking a folks' shoelaces, 'tho.

Safe & effective use of kitchen knives is another area of lack of education.
Old 09-14-15, 06:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Lets get back to the reason for this thread to begin with. Do you really have to be a certified bicycle technician to see the simple fact that a chain has come off the front sprockets?
Old 09-14-15, 07:09 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Lets get back to the reason for this thread to begin with. Do you really have to be a certified bicycle technician to see the simple fact that a chain has come off the front sprockets?
He may have seen they chain laying off the rings and simply lacked the knowledge and the vocabulary to verbalize his observation. Hence his comment that "the chain broke or something." That's a perfectly adequate description from a non-enthusiast. You as the more experienced person were able to start from that weak description and nail the root problem, and then correct it. Yes, the correction is trivial to you, but lots of things are trivial to enthusiasts and experts that are not apparent at all to those lacking the same base of experience.

Did you walk him through how you fixed the problem so that he'd know for next time?
Old 09-14-15, 07:12 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The reason for such behavior runs the gamet... from laziness to always having 'mummie and daddie' to wipe their arses. After all.. WORK is a four letter word ...........for some.

More moronic stupid types now... more population. The many live in their own little world.. some can fix a bike with ease.. some can handle complex math etc with ease.

ME... she's HAS to be awful gooooood loookin' to get my hands greasy........ and I don't mean the 'hoe-ish look'n types. Some light in her EYES<<<
Old 09-14-15, 07:22 AM
LifeCycles

Bikes: A little bit of everything. Notably old stuff and rare stuff.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So refreshing to see someone's benevolence is limited to their objectification of a human. (sarcasm). And people do studies to find out why women don't ride...
Old 09-14-15, 08:48 AM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
I wanted to post something like, "dudes, this is way too deep for Bicycle Mechanics."

But posts like this one make it more than worthwhile.

However, I do have a slight counter point to this. When I was growing up my dad would say to me, "you can make a living working with your brain or working with your back." He did not say "hands" and was referring something like construction or any number of manual labor jobs. He pointed out that your back doesn't last very long in some of those jobs. He grew up without money and worked a lot of those. I'm now a mechanical engineer and happy for it. I love getting my hands dirty but I think I'd get tired of it if I had to do it for a living.
You bring up an interesting popular notion: that working with our hands (or sometimes our backs) can't also be brain work. It's true that lifting with your back isn't smart if you should be using a jack or a hoist, but who invented tools like the wheel, lever, pulley, screw, etc.? They were, I'm certain, invented by people who applied their brains to the manual work they had already been doing. Mechanical work = problem solving, the best condition for brain growth.

My daughter is a mechanical engineer in the aerospace industry. While doing grad work, she was amazed at the number of students who had only worked with calculators and computer-assisted design, not with hands-on building and repair. Those kids are often disadvantaged when it comes to apply engineering science in the real world.

She was valedictorian of her high school class, but she took a few shop courses as electives in addition to academic classes. She is now working with designing, building and maintaining test equipment in the large plant where she works. She has a desk but hates sitting at it. (BTW, in case anyone is thinking in terms of stereotypes, she is heterosexual and happily married to a guy. We don't have to give model kits only to boys, and only dolls and make-up kits to the girls.)

As most of us on this forum know, learning the characteristics and limits of materials from a book is not the same as accidentally breaking a few things yourself.

Last edited by habilis; 09-14-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-14-15, 08:57 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I thought the reason for this thread was for you to lump all young people into one group defined as ignorant.

No?

Do young people know anything any more?
Old 09-14-15, 10:31 AM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rydabent, don't feel like this thread has gone astray. Why couldn't he understand and fix the simple thing that had gone wrong? Because we live in a world of machinery and materials, but only some of us learn how to deal with those things. The rest of us are content to skate on the surface. It doesn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is right now.

The more we let kids do only what they want to do and learn only what they want to learn, the more helpless adults we'll have. As long as kids and their parents are allowed too much power in designing the educational curriculum, the tail will continue to wag the dog.

In the school where my son teaches, kids are allowed to mess with their I-phones during class because "it's teaching them to be computer-literate." This goes on all day, even during teachers' presentations. Naturally, kids are busy texting each other and gaming rather than learning anything. Thank the school administrators (who have caved in to the kids and parents) for this incredible situation.

Last edited by habilis; 09-14-15 at 03:33 PM. Reason: rning anything
Old 09-14-15, 11:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6257 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I thought the reason for this thread was for you to lump all young people into one group defined as ignorant.

No?
Exactly. Shall we now discuss how old people can't use computers? Stereotypes are useless, demeaning and only serve to let the user feel superior to those they are stereotyping.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-14-15, 02:30 PM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stereotypes are useless, demeaning and only serve to let the user feel superior to those they are stereotyping.
Very well said.
Old 09-14-15, 02:40 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know. Every time I talk to one they would have believe they know EVERYTHING.
Old 09-14-15, 02:47 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The question is being told just how bright young people are these days, why couldnt he see his problem?
I'm sure they say the same thing about you when you can't figure out how to operate your smartphone.
Old 09-14-15, 03:36 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 182 Posts
Exactly. Shall we now discuss how old people can't use computers? Stereotypes are useless, demeaning and only serve to let the user feel superior to those they are stereotyping.
If I have to fix something important and need help I will choose an old guy that knows how to use tools over a young guy that can use a computer every time
Old 09-14-15, 04:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Hear, hear.

Maybe, when this thread has run its course, a couple of questions could be discussed:

1. How do we pass things like mechanical knack and confidence with a wrench, to the next generation? It seems to me that cycling could be a means to an end in this regard, since bike maintenance presents some relatively straightforward problems that kids can learn to solve.

2. How do we advise adult cyclists who have limited mechanical ability for whatever reason? For instance, when I talk to people about bikes, I try to assess their comfort zone for DIY repairs and upgrades before advising them. And I offer to help.
Old 09-14-15, 05:31 PM
habilis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Hear, hear.

Maybe, when this thread has run its course, a couple of questions could be discussed:

1. How do we pass things like mechanical knack and confidence with a wrench, to the next generation? It seems to me that cycling could be a means to an end in this regard, since bike maintenance presents some relatively straightforward problems that kids can learn to solve.

2. How do we advise adult cyclists who have limited mechanical ability for whatever reason? For instance, when I talk to people about bikes, I try to assess their comfort zone for DIY repairs and upgrades before advising them. And I offer to help.
High schools have to offer so many disciplines now, including things like computer science that didn't exist 60 years ago but are now basic to our economy and society. There's no use pretending that kids don't need familiarity with computers. The result is that some traditional things get pushed off the table. Apparently, this is happening to the shop classes, which used to be core subjects.

Part of it is also the gentrification of our society - we all want to be white-collar workers.

Here's a "depressing" suggestion: Maybe we need another Great Depression, which resulted in job training programs (WPA, Civil Conservation Corps, etc.) for millions of unemployed people, teaching them mechanical and construction skills. (God forbid that it takes something so drastic to tear people away from video games!)

Bikes are not only a great platform for learning basic mechanics at any age, they are also an antidote for the national obesity epidemic.

I wish I knew how to bring a program like that (fix your bike and start riding it) to the masses. I don't.

On the brighter side, the flood of questions that pour into this forum every day proves that plenty of adults are hungry for the information they missed out on while growing up.

Last edited by habilis; 09-14-15 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-14-15, 05:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I go to my 75-year old father in law for anything related to computers. He wrote code to help put Neil and Buzz on the moon and he still knows a thing or two.
Old 09-14-15, 05:59 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Hear, hear.

For you first question Spend time with our kids teaching them stuff instead of throwing money at them . Expect them to learn to fix stuff children tend to rise or fall to our expectations .
the second question I don't know . I do know this I am a plumber. I work maintenance now, there was a time I ran service I had free range with in reason on pricing If you were a healthy adult male. and call for something my 12 year old daughter could fix you paid for it. But some one elderly that could fix it if their health was decent??? a lot five minute jobs were done Gratis .
Old 09-14-15, 06:13 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by plumberroy
If I have to fix something important and need help I will choose an old guy that knows how to use tools over a young guy that can use a computer every time
Originally Posted by caloso
I go to my 75-year old father in law for anything related to computers. He wrote code to help put Neil and Buzz on the moon and he still knows a thing or two.
Whooosh! You are both missing the point. Stereotypes a overly broad labels applied to groups of people so that some people can feel good about themselves. Stereotypes are generally wrong and always useless.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-14-15, 06:23 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by plumberroy
the second question I don't know . I do know this I am a plumber. I work maintenance now, there was a time I ran service I had free range with in reason on pricing If you were a healthy adult male. and call for something my 12 year old daughter could fix you paid for it. But some one elderly that could fix it if their health was decent??? a lot five minute jobs were done Gratis .
And are those "healthy adult males" young, old, a mix of different ages and education types? Plumbing is pretty simple and, if we use the same standard that ryanbent does, should be able to be done by anyone...except it isn't, now is it?

And why do you only expect "males" to be able to do plumbing? If your 12 year old daughter can fix it, why shouldn't any female be able to do it?

Personally I feel every person over the age of 15 should know the basic tenets of physics, chemisty, biology, mathematics, literature, history, plumbing, carpentry, bicycle repair, a couple of foreign languages, etc. It's never going to happen and people are going to continue to be ignorant of even the most basic of bicycle repairs...regardless of age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.