Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

School me plz!!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

School me plz!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-15, 01:31 AM
esmitty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
School me plz!!

I searched through the forums but I have to ask...what is the cheapest CroMoly urban framed bike out there? My budget is tight and that is why I ask the question. I would even be happy with aluminum! I don't need 21 speeds-heck as little as 3 may do it. Bike path is where I want to excel. I have found few and want to bring your knowledge into here! I would love the aspect of the ability to change my hand position and thought that maybe bullhorn bars would be the way to go. Thoughts????
Old 09-12-15, 12:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
What kinds of bikes have you ridden in the past? What did you like/dislike about them?
Old 09-12-15, 02:00 PM
esmitty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Current bike is the generic academy sports road bike-Ozone 500. It has stem shifters and if it wasn't for the 700c tires it feels straight out of the eighties. It weighs a ton. But I rarely use the drop bars. Before that was an Electra 7 speed. Love the gears, hated the twist shifter. Had it converted to a trigger shifter. Very comfy but not the best choice for my goal of going about 30 miles of more.
Old 09-14-15, 04:51 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My shop carries KHS,they make CrMo hybrids:
URBAN Archives - KHS Bicycles

The parts are okay(not a fan of the Xpress's Microshift shifters),but the frames are pretty nice.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 09-14-15, 06:47 PM
Sunset_Va

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
My shop carries KHS,they make CrMo hybrids:
URBAN Archives - KHS Bicycles

The parts are okay(not a fan of the Xpress's Microshift shifters),but the frames are pretty nice.
My first quality bike was a KHS Comp, around 1999, a mountain bike softail , with excellent components.
However, it never fit me, no matter what I altered. I rode it about a year and a half, and bought a Giant NRS2, 2001 , which I still have today. I am posting, because I think KHS bikes are underated, and to stress to you, the most important thing in seeking and buying a bike is that it feels good when you are on it. As soon as you get on a bike, its a feeling, either good or bad.

Good Luck!
Old 09-14-15, 07:12 PM
esmitty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All in one?

Thank you all! To make things worse, my buddy showed me some new trails in Shelby farms park here in Memphis. Well crap, now I need a mtb as well. I don't think you could do it all in one bike or can you? What is out there that can cover the trails(nothing heavy) as well as the bike paths? Is it possible? I need to head back to the lbs!

Last edited by esmitty; 09-14-15 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 09-14-15, 08:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by esmitty
What is out there that can cover the trails(nothing heavy) as well as the bike paths? Is it possible? I need to head back to the lbs!
Practically any hybrid with a decent width tire. Get ye to the bike shop.
Old 09-15-15, 03:29 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
as stated many times, " 90's hardtail mtb". in your case add a spare set of wheels and tires, one for woods riding, one for paths.
Old 09-15-15, 05:10 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By heavy, what do you mean? If you are talking about less than 2-3 inch roots across the path, any hybrid with a suspension fork should handle that. My crosstrail does just fine, but you gotta go slow over the rough spots. If you are talking more rugged or want to go fast and often have the tires off the ground, you are looking at some kind a MTB. Hybrid wheels are not made for that kind abuse and their frames are not as strong as a MTB. As dr1445 mentions, a MTB with two sets of wheels/tires may be what you need.
Old 12-03-16, 01:23 PM
Toch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Khs

Originally Posted by Sunset_Va
My first quality bike was a KHS Comp, around 1999, a mountain bike softail , with excellent components.
However, it never fit me, no matter what I altered. I rode it about a year and a half, and bought a Giant NRS2, 2001 , which I still have today. I am posting, because I think KHS bikes are underated, and to stress to you, the most important thing in seeking and buying a bike is that it feels good when you are on it. As soon as you get on a bike, its a feeling, either good or bad.

Good Luck!
Do you know what year this migh be? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
khs1.jpg (98.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-03-16, 01:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Why does It Matter so much ?, Suspension forks date it as being post 80's threadless forks were not around back Then either ..

Take an Old drop bar bike, even 27" wheel Old, and change it to straight bars and You have just made it a Hybrid..
Old 12-03-16, 02:03 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toch
Do you know what year this migh be? Thanks!
Go do a search on bikepedia, I don't know if they have all brands listed but I found an exact match for a 98 Giant I was curious about.