Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2016 Cannondale Quick CX 1

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 09:13 PM
crowrj

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Quick CX 1 & 2009 Cannondale Scalpel 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My new 2016 Cannondale Quick CX 1 has arrived. Differences from the 2015 model are upgraded components (mostly to Shimano SLX from Deore) and Schwable Sammy Slick tires with puncture protection from Kendra Happy Mediums. The real selling point is the Headshok Fatty DL50 suspension. Compared to the fork suspension bikes I test rode, it is as advertised: lighter and a more responsive feel to the steering. I've ridden about 10 miles on road, gravel and a little bit on a mountain biking skills course. It feels quick and responsive on the road, handles gravel like a champ and did well enough on some of the easier rocky parts of the skills course. The riding position is quite upright, even compared to the other model I test rode, which works well for me but is something to be aware of if special ordering.

And Pics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2940.jpg (83.8 KB, 265 views)
IMG_2942.jpg (81.7 KB, 264 views)
IMG_2949.jpg (95.5 KB, 371 views)
IMG_2951.jpg (89.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 07-12-15, 07:52 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by crowrj
My new 2016 Cannondale Quick CX 1 has arrived. Differences from the 2015 model are upgraded components (mostly to Shimano SLX from Deore) and Schwable Sammy Slick tires with puncture protection from Kendra Happy Mediums. The real selling point is the Headshok Fatty DL50 suspension. Compared to the fork suspension bikes I test rode, it is as advertised: lighter and a more responsive feel to the steering. I've ridden about 10 miles on road, gravel and a little bit on a mountain biking skills course. It feels quick and responsive on the road, handles gravel like a champ and did well enough on some of the easier rocky parts of the skills course. The riding position is quite upright, even compared to the other model I test rode, which works well for me but is something to be aware of if special ordering.

And Pics:

There is no doubting that the Quick CX1 is a good looking bike and it should help Cannondale enormously that they have gone from Deore to SLX on a number of components.

One thing that has always made me weary of the CX1 and other Cannondale models, is the Fatty Headshok suspension.

Now admittedly my wariness is largely due to not knowing very much about it and what the service requirements would be, so if you can provide periodic updates on your user experience as you rack up the miles, that would be quite interesting.
Old 07-12-15, 08:00 AM
Slow Bro

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Coda Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baddass bike mate Enjoy
Old 07-12-15, 04:15 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
One thing that has always made me weary of the CX1 and other Cannondale models, is the Fatty Headshok suspension.

Now admittedly my wariness is largely due to not knowing very much about it and what the service requirements would be, so if you can provide periodic updates on your user experience as you rack up the miles, that would be quite interesting.
While it is a proprietary system,it's been around for like 15yrs or so. I don't think C'dale has gone a year without at least one model featuring it. So it's not some one-off thing that you won't be able to find parts for. It's been on MTB's for years,so you can always ask the folks over in that forum what they think. I've still got two BBU's with it,and I think it's the best dual sport suspension system out there. Only negative is when locked it's basically a straight blade alloy fork,but it's not too bad,the right tires help alot,and I only lock mine for hill climbing.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-12-15, 09:00 PM
block911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you get it from? Cannondales site doesnt have 2016 listed yet. Is there a 2016 carbon quick this year too?
Old 07-12-15, 09:01 PM
crowrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using the reliable standing on a bathroom scale holding the bike method, it weighs in at exactly 26.0 lbs (small frame size).

I will be sure to post some updates as I rack up miles.
Old 07-27-15, 12:22 AM
Konea420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am liking at getting one too but not able to find one. Where did you buy it from
Old 07-27-15, 07:00 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nice bike, I didn't know you could lock that thing out.... I'm also very interested in your perceptions.
Old 07-27-15, 07:49 AM
Slow Bro

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Coda Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Cannondale's always catch my eye when I'm at my LBS. They look really race with great colour schemes
Old 07-27-15, 02:42 PM
crowrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered it from my LBS. I was thinking about the CX1 & CX2 when the salesperson noted the 2016 was available for $100 less and better components. Decision made.

It really is exactly what I was looking for in a bicycle. I use it as a commuter and wanted the ability to hit some trails after work if I wanted to. I spend probably 90-95% of my time on roads, but that 5-10% is worth getting the dual sport, especially since I have some pretty rough road stretches on my commute.

I do not have too much to compare the bike too. My only other bike is a city bike, Felt Versa City 3, which I would take on trails and charity road rides to 25 miles. It is difficult for me to imagine a more versatile bike than the CX1. It is nice on road and trail. On light trails the suspension is enough to keep control. I enjoy light trails much more than on my old bike, which basically bounced over roots while I tried desperately to hold the bars straight. I haven't taken it on anything too technical yet. I need to work on the rider a little more first.

The Headshok does what it is advertised to do. It is lightweight and responsive. Out of the box the CX 1 is a pound lighter than my old bike w/o suspension, and it feels quicker and handles better.

The Headshok does lockout. The lockout is not "remote" but it is right there on the top of the stem. I leave it locked out on the road most of the time, except for on rough stretches and cobblestones. When locked out, you do feel the bumps a little more on the 35c than with the 38c tires of my Felt, but it doesn't bother me enough to change tires.
Old 07-27-15, 08:00 PM
BigL_RIP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by block911
Where did you get it from? Cannondales site doesnt have 2016 listed yet. Is there a 2016 carbon quick this year too?
Yes, the 2016 is black with neon green graphics and boasts a full Shimano 11-speed array (5800). Nice upgrade from last year, plus the price went down! Good news all around, since the '15 was overpriced given its componentry.
Old 08-13-15, 05:47 AM
fcng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And Pics:

crowrj,

This is my first post on this forum. I want to ask what is your assessment of the CX1 after one month of use? How are the brakes, drivetrain etc. I'm in the market for a hybrid and really like the CX line. I'm currently on a foldable Tern Verge P20 and want to upgrade to a Hybrid. Your assessment of the CX1 would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-15, 09:18 AM
crowrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fcng
crowrj,

This is my first post on this forum. I want to ask what is your assessment of the CX1 after one month of use? How are the brakes, drivetrain etc. I'm in the market for a hybrid and really like the CX line. I'm currently on a foldable Tern Verge P20 and want to upgrade to a Hybrid. Your assessment of the CX1 would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
I still enjoy it. I commute 5 miles (10m RT) to work everyday, switching between the Cannondale & the Felt. I do not have enough experience to delve to deeply into details of components but the Cannondale drivetrain does feel smoother and shifting is more responsive than the Felt. But the Felt components (Shimano Alivio) work fine. There is a big difference between the rim brakes on the Felt & the hydraulic disc brakes on the Cannondale. I feel much, much more confident braking downhill at speed on the Cannondale, which I have the opportunity to do twice on my commute. That includes both braking power overall and control over braking power (if that makes sense.) They are just in different categories. Maybe better rim brakes or pads would make a difference for the Felt but I think I am hooked on disc brakes.

I've purchased a new Selle SMP TRK Gel seat. I may switch out the Schwable Sammy Slick tires for something more road/city oriented. Definitely test ride one to make sure the positioning and feel of the bike works for you, but it is a good bike that I would recommend. There is definitely a different feel to this bike and the Crosstrail I test rode that has nothing to do with quality or performance.
Old 09-20-15, 06:15 PM
crowrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this bike a little over two months and about 350-400 miles, so time for an update. I absolutely love this bike. It can handle all but the most technical trails. (Same goes for the rider though) I commute with it daily on urban roads, alleys and sidewalks when safe. I had planned on keeping my old Felt Versa 3 as a change of pace bike for my commute, but it has been retired. I take it on intermediate singletrack. It's great on gravel. The only thing I have changed is a Selle TRK Gel for the seat. I thought about changing the Schwable Sammy Slick tires for a more road oriented tire but decided I liked the versatility of the original tires. If you are looking for a top-end versatile bike the CX 1 should definitely be on your radar.
Old 09-20-15, 06:49 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've had this bike a little over two months and about 350-400 miles, so time for an update. I absolutely love this bike. It can handle all but the most technical trails. (Same goes for the rider though) I commute with it daily on urban roads, alleys and sidewalks when safe. I had planned on keeping my old Felt Versa 3 as a change of pace bike for my commute, but it has been retired. I take it on intermediate singletrack. It's great on gravel. The only thing I have changed is a Selle TRK Gel for the seat. I thought about changing the Schwable Sammy Slick tires for a more road oriented tire but decided I liked the versatility of the original tires. If you are looking for a top-end versatile bike the CX 1 should definitely be on your radar.
Nice looking bike! Congrats!
Old 09-20-15, 08:02 PM
Sunset_Va

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sharp looking bike, curious as to what brand of saddle is on your bike in the photo?

i have had good experiences with Cannondale bikes, I had a CX7 cyclocross bike I loved to ride, and was super in quality. You should consider adding a rear bike rack to make your bike more versatile.
Old 09-21-15, 08:33 PM
crowrj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va
Very sharp looking bike, curious as to what brand of saddle is on your bike in the photo?

i have had good experiences with Cannondale bikes, I had a CX7 cyclocross bike I loved to ride, and was super in quality. You should consider adding a rear bike rack to make your bike more versatile.
In the photo it is the stock seat.
Old 01-30-16, 03:35 PM
paulbabb

Bikes: 2015 KHS Urban Soul, 2005 Gary Fisher Utopia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve owned the Cannondale 2016 CX-1 for a couple of months.

My hopes for this bike were exceptional comfort, fairly nimble handling and decent road speed. I have little need for off-road riding. My riding consists of commuting, 25-mile Sunday rides with friends, and 60-70 mile road rides several times a year. Sometimes those longer rides are weekend charity rides. Sometimes they are part of week-long trips where the terrain ranges from flat to quite hilly.

This bike may seem an odd choice for that riding profile, but at 64, I’m more interested in comfort and stability than speed. I tried a Quick Speed 1 flat bar road bike (lighter, no suspension), and at the end of 50 miles I was feeling pretty beat up. Plus the roads on my regular routes can be full of potholes. Nice bike but I wanted something with more comfort.

At the same time, I've been spoiled by owning good road bikes, so I know their handling and speed benefits. How much of those would I give up for the comfort I wanted? Given the relative lightness of the CX1 – 27 pounds for the medium frame, I was hoping not a lot. But realistically I figured at best it will feel about three-fourths as fast and maneuverable.

So my grades so far are:
Comfort: 7 of 10
Handling: 9 of 10
Speed: 7 of 10

In short, about what I hoped for.

Some one-off observations:
1) Double check the size frame you need. In the Quick flat bar road bike, a Medium was the right size. In the CX-1, I probably coulda/shoulda gone to a Small.
2) Seat post: I wonder if carbon fiber would improve the comfort.
3) 50 mm of travel – I wish there were more. Don’t expect a cushiony ride, but the shock does take the sting away on jarring roads. Lockout is great.
4) Stock seat: Just fine for me. No desire to change it out yet.
5) Tires: For my purposes, a less-knobby version would be better, but it’s appropriate for the bike and what most people will do.
6) Shifting: Nice and smooth. Actually quieter than the all-Tiagra components on the Quick Speed 1 fitness bike I tried.
7) Disk brakes: These are my first. Sometimes I get this whistling noise – sounds like air coming out of a tire. It’s the brakes rubbing just slightly. I reseat the tire, and the noise goes away for a while. Nice stopping power, though.

In short, it's a keeper. I like it the more I ride it.