Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Starting biking over 50: Please help me

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Starting biking over 50: Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 10:04 AM
BikingMountains

Bikes: Vintage and new Bianchis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting biking over 50: Journalist looking for personal stories

Hello everyone,

I'm a 50+ bicyclist and a journalist. I'm writing a feature story for a major national publication about people over 50 starting biking for the first time--or reconnecting with a youthful passion.

For my story, I'm looking for people to speak with about their experiences becoming bicyclists over 50.

Would anybody be willing to chat with me?

All levels are welcome--you don't have to be a super advanced bicyclist. I'm looking to find out more about

You can reach me by PMing me on this site, or writing me at xxxx. Once we connect by email, I can give you more details and if you're still interested we can set up a time to chat on the phone.

Thank you!
Laura

Last edited by BikingMountains; 05-25-17 at 06:23 AM. Reason: email address no longer needed
Old 09-21-15, 12:46 PM
BikingMountains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone, I just realized I don't have PM privileges yet. I received a very nice response in my inbox, but I can't write the person back since I can't PM yet. If you would like to respond to this, or already have and haven't heard from me, please email me at xxx.

Thank you!
Laura

Last edited by BikingMountains; 05-25-17 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 06:55 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
You just need more posts. Two and counting!

Is that a cyclist becoming over 50, or being over 50 when you first take up cycling?
Old 09-21-15, 07:28 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been riding a bike since age 5. But, I have done my best biking after age-50. Mostly it's due to getting the sense of cycling being the fountain of youth...or maybe it is just having something which I can do at high intensity without damaging joints and tendons. Hard to say, but I do know that I enjoy bike riding more now than ever.
Old 09-22-15, 02:20 PM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingMountains
Hello everyone, I just realized I don't have PM privileges yet. I received a very nice response in my inbox, but I can't write the person back since I can't PM yet. If you would like to respond to this, or already have and haven't heard from me, please email me at bicyclecartographer@gmail.com.

Thank you!
Laura
Hi Laura, sent you an email.

Regards,
Richard
Old 09-22-15, 02:40 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
How about those of us that never really got away from riding?
Old 09-22-15, 02:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
I had My Birthday # 50 in the middle of a Bike Tour I had been on for 8 months , while in Scotland.

I think you may do better with live geezer in the streets interviews where you live , OK its More Work,

I expect this is not the place for I just started yesterday riders.

They probably dont know this forum Exists
Old 09-22-15, 03:20 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
On the contrary I bet that plenty of people on this site started cycling past 50 or 60, or at least re-started something they hadn't done since their youth, me for one. I wish the op good luck in her research, this is an obvious place to start.
Old 09-22-15, 03:58 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had a brief conversation with her. She has been flooded with responses from this site - folks who started or returned to bicycling over 50. This was a most unusual response as generally (for other articles) she gets just a couple of responses from an internet forum post.
Old 09-22-15, 06:06 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingMountains
Hello everyone,

I'm a 50+ bicyclist and a journalist. I'm writing a feature story for a major national publication about people over 50 starting biking for the first time--or reconnecting with a youthful passion.
What publication and when will it appear? Will people's names be used in the article/story?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-22-15, 06:37 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 590 Posts
I'm actually looking forward to reading it.

I am always encouraged by people who are willing to take charge of their life and make lifestyle changes to get where they want to be.

Old 09-23-15, 01:10 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Laura, cycling is improving lives providing exercise and challenges for Disabled Veterans - PTSD & Amputees on adaptive equipment. Good luck with your research and sorry. Look forward to reading it.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 09-23-15, 01:45 AM
rwings

Bikes: Ghost Panmao 6, Orbea Aqua, Mongoose MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
I've been riding a bike since age 5. But, I have done my best biking after age-50. Mostly it's due to getting the sense of cycling being the fountain of youth...or maybe it is just having something which I can do at high intensity without damaging joints and tendons. Hard to say, but I do know that I enjoy bike riding more now than ever.

I agree completely with baron von trail.

When I was younger I focused more on running than cycling. I still run now but not like I used too and have focused mostly on cycling. On the weekends I am riding 75 miles but I need to work on improving my time. I changed jobs so I would have time for more frequent long rides, hopefully that will help.
Old 09-23-15, 06:35 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
It's the new golf.
Old 09-23-15, 07:56 AM
BikingMountains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@big chainring, the new golf...I like that! @RonH I prefer not to list the publication in the forum, but I'm giving people more details when they contact me, and at that point they can decide if they'd like to participate. Yes, I need to use real names, but will only do so if we talk on the phone; won't use anyone's name just from an email. I don't have a publication date here, but I will post a link here when it appears.

And a big THANK YOU to everyone who responded so far! I've got a lot of great emails from forum readers. Based on hearing about this on my own group rides, I figured there were a lot of people in this category, but as @nobodyhere says, the response has been beyond my expectations! I'm responding to my emails one by one, so if you've written me you're likely to hear from me over the next few days.
Old 09-23-15, 11:50 AM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
It's the new golf.
It may be but at least my bike always goes where I want it to as opposed to my golfball.
Old 09-23-15, 11:53 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't like golf, never did. Like to ride, mental and physical health and a good meal after!!
Old 09-23-15, 12:21 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
It's the new golf.
I meant it in a snarky, sarcastic way. An upper class white man's activity.
Old 09-28-15, 03:23 PM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mvcrash
Don't like golf, never did. Like to ride, mental and physical health and a good meal after!!
I couldn’t agree more. Golf is B-O-R-I-N-G and so is “playing cards.” When I’m so old that these are the only remaining activities for me, then please bury me even if I’m still breathing (though be nice and put a round through my skull first).
Old 09-28-15, 09:35 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I meant it in a snarky, sarcastic way. An upper class white man's activity.
I have spent way, way, way more on cycling than golf. I play golf at least once a week and usually 2-3 times per week between May and September. In this area, it's pretty easy to find unlimited golf for 1200 - 1800 per year. I don't play enough to make that a good value. I probably spend $800 per year on golf. I spent $1000 in the last two weeks on my two bikes (and that was not the purchasing of new bikes.) I think you can bicycle quite inexpensively as well. If you want really nice equipment... you'll most likely pay a pretty penny for it.

It doesn't matter what it is... if it keeps you healthy and happy, it's most likely worth whatever you pay to do it.
Old 11-30-15, 09:28 AM
BikingMountains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone. The story appeared in the WSJ today. Thank you to all who spoke with me, and wrote me emails and PMs. I couldn't speak to, or quote everyone, but I appreciated and enjoyed all the responses I got. I was flooded with emails and PMs in response to this thread, which shows just how excited a lot of people over 50 are about biking!

Retirees Get Back on Their Bikes - WSJ
Old 11-30-15, 09:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Nice article, even though literally none of it applied to my own experience starting at age 48. Maybe it was those two years that made all the difference
Old 11-30-15, 09:58 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
That's a nice article. We are still here... from the bike boom of the seventies. 40 years ago you never saw 'retires' riding bikes.. just didn't happen. But we are still here.. still riding. We have started another bike-boom.. after careers, families,... etc., we have time now.
Old 11-30-15, 10:59 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, nice article, although not everyone over 50 is retired and it was pretty heavy on the risks of riding when 'old'. I wish people would get away from the idea that bike paths are always safer. They can be safe, but there are all sorts of hazards (overhanging branches, unfixed potholes, errant dogs and toddlers) that you probably don't get on the roads. And it may be harder to get help if anything does happen.

Just grumbing. My recent accident was on the trail system here. Mysterious pothole sprung up and flipped my front wheel while I was focused on the group of riders coming up ahead.
Old 11-30-15, 11:45 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good grief. If this article is to be believed, the over 50s are practically moribund, so unsteady they are likely to fall off their bikes at any moment, and riding in a vain attempt to outrun an inevitable carcinoma. Clearly the stories of the many over sixties who ride upwards of 200 miles a week and are still racing didn't fit the desired, and rather patronising, narrative. Oh well, nothing like a good stereotype, I suppose...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.