Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

2015/2016 Indoor Bike Trainer Thread

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

2015/2016 Indoor Bike Trainer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 10:47 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I did place my order for speed & cadence sensors and also got an ANT+ dongle. I look forward to using it to see if it changes how I'll ride.
Old 10-05-15, 08:13 PM
WonderMonkey

I setup and did an indoor trainer ride this evening. I won't ride indoors much unless the weather is bad OR I just want to get a quick 20 minutes in before I get ready for work.

Old 10-06-15, 08:19 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
wait till you get into racing others on the trainer, or when the nasty weather comes... you will love the trainer.

Your setup looks great.
Old 10-06-15, 08:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,820 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I setup and did an indoor trainer ride this evening. I won't ride indoors much unless the weather is bad OR I just want to get a quick 20 minutes in before I get ready for work.

Dude, where's your fan!!
Old 10-06-15, 08:52 PM
NukiWaza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking into this question now like everyone else. Visited one LBS and the guys did not know much more than the basics. I had to explain to him what trainer road was. Since they talked openly about riding till it got down to 20F I guess that makes sense.

Visited another LBS and not only did they do a better job walking me through the basic option but when I mentioned trainer road me said to come upstairs. They were in the midst of setting up a bike + wahoo kicker snap and Zwift. He said to come back later in the week and they would have a working setup to try out. He said they decided to set it up because they polled their best riders they were all switching over to Zwift. All his riders had not only been using it but had also been setting up rides with one another.
Old 10-07-15, 06:23 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by dagray
wait till you get into racing others on the trainer, or when the nasty weather comes... you will love the trainer.

Your setup looks great.
Thanks. I'm resisting the urge to ride it even when I can get outside because it's new and shiny! New and shiny things are always more fun! For a bit anyways.
Old 10-07-15, 06:25 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by chaadster
Dude, where's your fan!!
HA! Yes I forgot that on my first test ride. I do have one that I'll bring downstairs. I have a bunch of smaller fans that I used to dry out a crawl space in my old house so if I need to hook up two I will.

And a towel over the front part of my bike so I don't drip all over everything.
Old 10-07-15, 06:28 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by NukiWaza
Looking into this question now like everyone else. Visited one LBS and the guys did not know much more than the basics. I had to explain to him what trainer road was. Since they talked openly about riding till it got down to 20F I guess that makes sense.

Visited another LBS and not only did they do a better job walking me through the basic option but when I mentioned trainer road me said to come upstairs. They were in the midst of setting up a bike + wahoo kicker snap and Zwift. He said to come back later in the week and they would have a working setup to try out. He said they decided to set it up because they polled their best riders they were all switching over to Zwift. All his riders had not only been using it but had also been setting up rides with one another.
I'm using the Wahoo Fitness Blue Speed Cadence Sensor. So far it is doing well though once I dial it in I'm going to zip tie it into place so it doesn't lose functionality during a bumpy ride or come off when I'm escaping a pack of wolves or something.

I have not used any other product than Zwift so I can't compare. It is still in beta and free so I wonder if it is better than BKool or if it is just new, and therefore different, and therefore interesting.
Old 10-07-15, 07:17 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Even though we only have about 4 days a year of weather that is too cold to ride, I decided to get some rollers for indoor use. We've had a lot of rain the last couple of weeks and my riding has suffered. I went the roller route for now to work on keeping a smooth cadence (I'm "alright" on the road, but there's room for improvement) and holding a straight line (again, I've definitely seen worse riders, but smoother is better). Took advantage of Nashbar's 21% off the other day to pick up the cycleops rollers with resistance. I've got 2 big fans, a big TV, and delusions of not falling off the first time I try it all out.
Old 10-07-15, 07:51 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Podagrower
Even though we only have about 4 days a year of weather that is too cold to ride, I decided to get some rollers for indoor use. We've had a lot of rain the last couple of weeks and my riding has suffered. I went the roller route for now to work on keeping a smooth cadence (I'm "alright" on the road, but there's room for improvement) and holding a straight line (again, I've definitely seen worse riders, but smoother is better). Took advantage of Nashbar's 21% off the other day to pick up the cycleops rollers with resistance. I've got 2 big fans, a big TV, and delusions of not falling off the first time I try it all out.
Please, for the sake of our amusement.... could you film your first few attempts? I wish you well but I've seen the videos on youtube and I'll not be getting a set for myself.
Old 10-07-15, 09:18 AM
UrHuckleBerry

Bikes: 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Podagrower
I also took advantage of the 21% off and picked up the elite arion rollers, they will be here Friday. Next will be to make the home made motion base. Thought about a resistance set but decided for winter training spinning would be ok.
Old 10-07-15, 11:04 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If all goes well, I plan on doing 0.00 miles on the trainer this winter
Old 10-07-15, 11:19 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zwift is a nice distraction, but it's hard for me to follow a structured plan because I go all competitive. Not that my results are competitive, just that I hit the end of a climb or sprint toasted.

The first day I loaded it up was supposed to be a day for an FTP test and I just ended up using up my legs. Oops.

It's a little easier to stay focused with Trainer Road, but when you've got your FTP set correctly the workouts can hurt.

I think I have a remote for my fan, I should dig it out. Get cold during rest intervals with the fan too high, but flood the room during higher intensity work. I think this is what would be called a First World Problem...

Taking a peek at the Bkool simulator now.
Old 10-07-15, 11:54 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq

It's a little easier to stay focused with Trainer Road, but when you've got your FTP set correctly the workouts can hurt.
Then you are doing it right on the hard workouts in a plan.
Old 10-09-15, 01:51 PM
UrHuckleBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Balance is tricky but as videos/reviews say drive with your hips. Similar to riding with no hands/very little use of hands.
Old 10-12-15, 03:33 PM
vze23c3q

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got my 3" Kreitler rollers today. First 5 minutes was a little ugly but I soon got the hang of it.

50/14, 90 to 100 RPM, made it about 10 minutes and pouring sweat in my 60 degree basement. Did another 10 minutes with a fan....much better, but I was done!

I'm a coaster on the road, hopefully I can fix that this winter. My first impression is the 3" rollers are not too much resistance for a beginner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rollers2.jpg (95.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-12-15, 08:35 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by UrHuckleBerry

Balance is tricky but as videos/reviews say drive with your hips. Similar to riding with no hands/very little use of hands.
I'm sure at some point you won't even think about it.
Old 10-12-15, 08:36 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by vze23c3q

I got my 3" Kreitler rollers today. First 5 minutes was a little ugly but I soon got the hang of it.

50/14, 90 to 100 RPM, made it about 10 minutes and pouring sweat in my 60 degree basement. Did another 10 minutes with a fan....much better, but I was done!

I'm a coaster on the road, hopefully I can fix that this winter. My first impression is the 3" rollers are not too much resistance for a beginner.
Can you tighten anything to get the resistance higher as you wish?

I haven't gotten back downstairs to my trainer as the weather has been nice. Good! Also I just committed to lead some group rides so I'm going to be outside when I would normally wuss out and either just be lazy or get on a trainer.
Old 10-13-15, 03:06 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to re up TrainerRoad pretty soon, the weather is getting kinda bad here, lots of wind...I'll need a couple more things to get a nice set up though, I have the laptop set up on my kids high chair lol and I'll need a fan too
Old 10-13-15, 04:19 AM
vze23c3q

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you tighten anything to get the resistance higher as you wish?
No, but I have three options if I do wish to add resistance:

Make a bar with magnets (easy DIY ~$20)
Add the flywheel (pricy but still way less than TruTrainer ~$150)
Add the Killer Headwind (pricy and noisy ~$200)

I'm pretty sure I've got all I can handle without resistance for now.

Kreitler Rollers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wattage.jpg (95.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-13-15, 05:53 AM
UrHuckleBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vze23c3q
No, but I have three options if I do wish to add resistance:

Make a bar with magnets (easy DIY ~$20)
Add the flywheel (pricy but still way less than TruTrainer ~$150)
Add the Killer Headwind (pricy and noisy ~$200)

I'm pretty sure I've got all I can handle without resistance for now.

Kreitler Rollers

I was on the fence about getting rollers with resistance and after my few sessions... I'm fine with the "no resistance" still feels like more than on the road. It's an eye opener to how much coasting can actually occur on the road/paths.

Do you plan on making a motion base? I've already butchered a set of roller blades in preparation.

I'm sure at some point you won't even think about it.
Getting the rollers started is the trick, after that its relatively easy. Enjoying rollers quite a bit and its only 30 minute sessions to start out, as vze said 10 minutes in and its full on sweat.

Last edited by UrHuckleBerry; 10-13-15 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 09:08 AM
WonderMonkey

I am resisting the urge to get on mine. I don't want the novelty to run out and it turn into a chore too quickly. I've committed to leading some group rides locally for the selfish reason of making myself show up and ride. Funny thing is that as soon as I am halfway through the first pedal stroke I enjoy it immensely. Taking the time to get out is the painful part. Leading the ride ensures that it's a done deal, I have to be there.
Old 10-13-15, 10:00 AM
UrHuckleBerry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love getting out and riding, but with Nebraska weather its always a crapshoot and missed a lot of days due to weather. Having a trainer will help on the days where weather won't cooperate. The local club has already gone to gravel riding and quit the chit chat road rides.
Old 10-13-15, 01:16 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am starting my base program (sweet-spot base, TrainerRoad) on the trainer (Kurt Fluid Trainer) this week. Did the 8 minute FTP test and it was WAY different than I expected. I guess it doesn't matter as long as I am consistent with it. I'm using my Surface with Garmin ANT stick on the garage bench and a fan. Garmin HRM & Garmin GSC speed/cadence. I still ride to work on a different bike, but I go slow and don't count it as training. Goal is to de-clyde (down 11 lbs to 220 in last 30 days) myself by spring so I can start more intense run/bike/swimming in prep for IM WI next September.

Here is my setup:

Last edited by DogBoy; 10-13-15 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 05:24 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's interesting
Zwift adds structured training sessions to virtual world | road.cc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.