Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your opinion on Mountain biking vs Road Biking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your opinion on Mountain biking vs Road Biking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 12:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12962 Post(s)
Liked 7,885 Times in 4,191 Posts
You could always take up gravel riding on a roadie

or on MTB

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-05-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 03:11 PM
bradallen226
Brad Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If so then neither one. They're both excellent in their own way. But it is type of restricting to do a bicycle vs street bicycle evaluation. What about all the other kinds of cycling? What about the modifications within those kinds of cycling?

36 Volt Electric Bicycle Battery

Last edited by bradallen226; 10-07-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 05:12 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, OP, I suppose you could do city commuting on your MTB as well and become disgruntled with both.
Old 10-05-15, 05:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,787 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not sure exactly what constitutes "Happy Valley," but I rode across PA last year, stayed just north of Bellefonte and then road through the Nittany Valley and then crossed over to the Brush Valley on the way to Raymond Winter S.P. This was on a weekday. Most of the route east of Bellefonte was traffic lite and pretty nice. Hadn't been in the Brush Valley since '08. It was nice to see it again.
People that mostly ride in more populated areas like to ride the roads here. They can be very quiet, or you might run into a succession of jerks, it really depends on the phase of the moon. If you ride a lot, the jerks will definitely find you. In contrast, the woods are almost always quiet. There are some gravel roads that are over-subscribed at times, but that's rare. The issue for me is that I have to ride a good ways before I hit the quiet roads, and so every road ride features some level of conflict. And sometimes it just gets repetitive.
Old 10-05-15, 06:18 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
What is more admirable ?
Commuting, getting onto the saddle each day & riding to work, school, grocery store, pub, etc.
Type of cycle isn't that important.
Old 10-05-15, 06:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That future won't likely come until after you're long gone. So ... deal with it.

You have choices:

Stop whining, take a bicycle handling course, and learn to ride on the road.
Ride on less busy roads.
Ride on trails and MUPs.
Go mountain biking.

Just to name a few.

Meanwhile ... have a look at this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...like-ride.html
Further to this ...

I don't know if these are near where you live at all, but perhaps there is something like them in your area:
SD Bike Coalition
https://bikeeastbay.org/LTR
Urban Bicycling Workshops - San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
Adult Learn to Ride (ALR) | Sustainable Streets
Learn To Ride for Adults - CICLE - Cyclists Inciting Change thru LIVE ExchangeCICLE - Cyclists Inciting Change thru LIVE Exchange

REI might also have some classes:
Learn - REI.com

In Canada, there's a CanBike program with courses in various locations, and different levels and specialties:
https://canbikecanada.ca/

Wherever you are, I strongly suggest you find some classes and take them. They may help build your confidence and teach you the skills you need to ride on the roads safely.

Google 'adult learn to ride bicycle' and you'll come up with all sorts of options.

[HR][/HR]

Regarding less busy roads ... when you ride on them, you still need to follow the rules of the road, and ride safely (like what you'll learn when you take the classes). You also need to pay attention. Listen for vehicles. Keep your eyes open. If you see or hear anything that concerns you, it is up to you to take evasive action.

But the beauty of riding a quiet road is that it is quiet ... chances are you'll notice vehicles from some distance away because you'll hear them or see them. So you'll have time to monitor them and determine what they are doing.

Also, from my experience, many motorists on quieter roads drive more slowly. Plus they'll slow down when they see me. Many will go past quite slowly and wave pleasantly to me.

Last edited by Machka; 10-05-15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 06:50 PM
BikeMunster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer road biking because I like to do sprints on my bike. Sprinting in general is a better way to stay in shape. I'm currently 10% body fat and trying to go even lower while gaining muscle, so long drawn out rides is not my cup of tea.
Old 10-05-15, 08:03 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by martianone
What is more admirable ?
Commuting, getting onto the saddle each day & riding to work, school, grocery store, pub, etc.
Type of cycle isn't that important.
Heh, on another forum, commuting was jokingly suggested to be the ultimate cycling sport.

If you arrive at your destination alive, you win!
Old 10-05-15, 09:03 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeMunster
I prefer road biking because I like to do sprints on my bike. Sprinting in general is a better way to stay in shape. I'm currently 10% body fat and trying to go even lower while gaining muscle, so long drawn out rides is not my cup of tea.
You obviously have never "sprinted" up a steep hill on a single track. Every bit of a workout as sprinting on the road... sometimes even more!

Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Heh, on another forum, commuting was jokingly suggested to be the ultimate cycling sport.

If you arrive at your destination alive, you win!
Regular commuters do tend to ride in adverse weather that most roadies or mountain bikers would avoid... very admirable in my book!
Old 10-05-15, 09:23 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
This is like debating whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better. People like what they like. Biking of any kind is admirable compared to riding the couch. I am not a fan of mountain biking. I'm too old and rattling my bones on a mountain bike sounds more like torture than fun. But that's just me!
Old 10-06-15, 02:20 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
See the thing about road cycling is this.. Yes the chances may be that you might not die from cycling, but when hundreds of cars are passing you at 50 mph and you hear them, it's still in the back of your mind. At least for me it is. So even though I may not actually die from getting hit on the road, the thought is provoking. So I'm considering more mountain biking. But dam, I really wanna be free on the roads too. However, cycling with cars isn't so free. The concept is amazing though, taking your bike wherever you want. In San Francisco, it seems like they are planning on making it one of the best biking cities. They've provided infrastructure and green painted lanes for Market Street and are expanding. If that gets really good, I may do some over there. I think that I'm always gonna stick to a small amount of roads, ones that I can handle for short periods, to get to the lane or trail. Like for instance, I wanna bike the Golden Gate Bridge, they have plenty of protection. The Bay Bridge is halfway complete, and the Bay Trail is right there. So I do have some options that are road related aside from the multi use paved trails. But I don't know if I'm being responsible by taking my bike on a highway. I just don't know about that.. I've read too many bad news stories.

Last edited by DreamRider85; 10-06-15 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-06-15, 02:39 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Do both. Just got back on a MTB after years off one. Most fun I've had with my clothes on in years. Also discovered I still have some good skills, even on a freebie mid '90s Giant ATX 840 with 60mm of travel on it's basic front forks. I'm sitting in the top third for a local downhill track! I reckon you need both. Road for getting rhythm and cadence sorted and MTB for fun and skills.
Old 10-06-15, 08:42 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No cyclocross in San Francisco? Here's its popular because there's plenty of space near the MUPs to practice.

Cyclocross is off-road racing for road bikes - well, certain types of road bikes (cyclocross bikes, gravel bikes, etc.). I've heard of MTB riders competing in it too.
Old 10-06-15, 08:55 AM
series1811

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 105, 2012 Fuji Roubaix, 1988 Basso Gap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BOTH is the correct answer. Each one has their distinct virtues. Also, the best hill climbers on road bikes I know spend a lot of time mountain biking. I don't think that is coincidence.
Old 10-06-15, 09:28 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I agree... Look at my signature. I have two different styles of bikes for two totally different purposes.

<disclaimer>
However...
I don't dress up in a full kit and race around at like 30 mph, trying in vain to beat the guy in front of me.
I prefer to be comfortable and enjoy riding C&V bikes. I guess I'm as "old school" as my bike!
I still enjoy going off road (but within reason), and refuse to attempt things that the younger guys do. They are either very skilled, or they have a death wish!
</disclaimer>
Old 10-06-15, 07:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
See the thing about road cycling is this.. Yes the chances may be that you might not die from cycling, but when hundreds of cars are passing you at 50 mph and you hear them, it's still in the back of your mind.

Do you know what a quiet country road is?
Old 10-06-15, 10:38 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Do you know what a quiet country road is?
sure those are roads where rednecks in big diesel trucks roll coal when they pass you

Last edited by Canker; 10-09-15 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 01:34 AM
BikeMunster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
You obviously have never "sprinted" up a steep hill on a single track. Every bit of a workout as sprinting on the road... sometimes even more!
Yeah but I want to go fast. Going up hill is like having an epic music playing in the background but you're staying one place.
Old 10-09-15, 02:30 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
MTB is fun

But so is road
Old 10-09-15, 08:39 AM
GovernorSilver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeMunster
Yeah but I want to go fast. Going up hill is like having an epic music playing in the background but you're staying one place.
Seems like it's better to be an all-rounder though if you want to race, unless you find a team that's looking specifically for sprinters. All-rounders and climbers kill sprinters on the hilly parts of any race.

For just working out, climbing as fast as you can will give you hell of a workout. Try it sometime.
Old 10-09-15, 05:20 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scummer
MTB is fun

But so is road
x2...
Old 10-09-15, 08:42 PM
BikeMunster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver
Seems like it's better to be an all-rounder though if you want to race, unless you find a team that's looking specifically for sprinters. All-rounders and climbers kill sprinters on the hilly parts of any race.

For just working out, climbing as fast as you can will give you hell of a workout. Try it sometime.
Hmmmm you are giving me ideas. Maybe I should join a team hmmm... Will try it for sure!