Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How often do you have repairs on your bicycle?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 07:45 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Since I use my collection of bikes daily, it seems to me I'm always fixing one thing or another on my bikes. A week doesn't go by without something needing attention.

Plus, since I have 3 bikes in the rotation, I'll often pick up a bike and make a mental note like, "Gee, these brakes are quite a bit slacker than my blue bike". This, of course, just generates even more attention to the stable.

How often do you get your bikes repaired? Do you do it yourself or have the LBS fix things?
Old 12-02-11, 08:00 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
It depends, I guess, on what you call a repair. IMHO, lubing the chain or turning an adjuster isn't a repair. It's routine maintenance.

To my mind, a repair is something that requires Mr. Toolbox. That sort of stuff I like to keep to once a year on the three three-season bikes and twice a year on my four-season bike.
Old 12-03-11, 12:05 AM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Simple maintenance, like lubing chains and making minor adjustments, I do myself, every week or two. Actual repairs go to the shop, about once or twice a year (per bike). I don't have many tools or the knowledge to be sure I'm doing things correctly.
Old 12-03-11, 01:55 AM
JeanSeb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too often, I'll probably have a little thing or two every 3 months or so. I had to install new cables and housing and had to retrue the front wheel last month. I do everything since I was a bicycle mechanic for about 4 years and own most bike-related tools.
Old 12-03-11, 10:45 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Define repair?
I grab a bike to ride, note something a bit off, grab a wrench and take care of it.

Major overhauls are on an as needed basis determined by how much service the bike has seen. I do all my own work, LBS for parts if I don't already have them on the shelf. Most of my bikes are vintage so parts are purchased when I can find them on Ebay or in an old shop somewhere. I also bulk buy things like cables and tubes when they are on sale.

I enjoy wrenching and restoring bikes almost as much as I enjoy riding.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-03-11, 01:23 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have five bikes, so I always have something to ride. I noticed a broken spoke the other day, which means hauling the wheel out to have it fixed.

I leave wheelbuilding and replacing broken spokes to the pros. That's not a skill I want to take the time to learn. I also currently leave hub bearing maintenance to the shops also, as I haven't gotten around to buying cone wrenches. Headset works is also for the pros.

Nearly everything else I do on my own. Yes, I've got one bike waiting for a wheel to be fixed. Another that needs re-cabled, but is rideable. It also needs a new drivetrain, but it's got 6600 miles on it and has been ridden in every condition imaginable.

I spend a small amount of time overall keeping the bikes going. Cars need maintenance and repair also, and living without one, leaves more time and money for bike maintenance and repair.

Oh, and doing the work yourself, at home, means you don't need to haul a broken bike into the LBS without a car, which I do find to be a pain. I guess that's not an issue if you live within a few hundred feet of your LBS.
Old 12-03-11, 03:16 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
It's about two years since I left one of my three bikes into a workshop to have something done with it.

Most adjustments and replacements I can do myself.
Old 12-03-11, 05:37 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
After a hard winter of salt and mud, parts of the drivetrain often need some work. Otherwise, the type of bike i ride most often is pretty rugged. Once in a great while I replace a chain or brake pads, everything else even less often.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-03-11, 07:35 PM
Cycocross
Ice Bites

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Live in goathead heaven so I'm fixing flats weekly. I curb hop a lot so spokes need constant attention. I live a few hundred feet from a LBS and wouldn't let them lube my chain. Another LBS is a few hundred yards from that one and I wouldn't let them know I owned a bike. I could do better maintenance blindfolded.
Old 12-04-11, 04:23 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do everything myself, regardless if its bikes or anything else. I like learning how things work. Its generally cheaper too..

I have 1 bike that requires repairs just about daily to keep it running lol. The other bikes gets weekly cleaned and maintained.
Old 12-06-11, 12:19 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It gets maintained once a week,get torn down once a year.I don't have repairs.Been working on my bicycles since I was 6,I'm now 54.
Old 10-15-15, 05:24 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Rowan maintains our fleet ... and it can be an ongoing, just about daily, thing. Maintenance, repairs, upgrades, etc. etc.
Old 10-15-15, 06:08 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Every time it needs it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-16-15, 11:13 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan maintains our fleet ... and it can be an ongoing, just about daily, thing. Maintenance, repairs, upgrades, etc. etc.
You all have any hydraulic brakes on your bikes?
Old 10-16-15, 11:18 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Maintenance I do every year, repairs... My bike has probably been in to the LBS maybe 5 times in the last 15 years, it has about 36,000KM on it now and still in excellent shape.
Old 10-16-15, 12:31 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
My main commuter bike usually gets an annual overhaul where I check everything out, take things apart for lube, tighten things up, swap out the chain, new cables and housing. It might include something like going from drop to flat bars... and back again because I didn't like the flat bars. I had a BB which was too short and fixed with spacers that eventually got swapped out for one with a correct-length spindle. Went from canti to v-brakes. Swapped shifters.

Regular adjustments and lube as needed, on more like a quarterly schedule. Air in the tires weekly.

My other bike, the lockup on the other end of a bike-bus-bike commute gets seriously neglected. Air every month. Chain lube a couple times per year. That's it. But it's got a 2sp kickback hub with coaster brake, so it's not like there's anything to do with it anyway.

I got tired of not being able to do my own work, especially with all the hare-brained ideas I come up with which many mechanics would balk at or charge a lot for, so I spent 5 years as a bike mechanic and still do it seasonally, PT. Which means I do all my own work, wheel builds included.