Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

You've got be kidding me right? Weight Loss No Gain!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

You've got be kidding me right? Weight Loss No Gain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 01:43 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harvieu25
Type 2 Diabetes is a lipid disorder, not a sugar/carb disorder. Eat a low fat diet (no meat or dairy) and your A1C as well as your cholesterol will come down.
Originally Posted by BassJones
Low-cholesterol (or high-cholesterol) diets actually contribute little to nothing to cholesterol levels. If anything, new studies are showing high cholesterol diets are actually good for us. Eat your eggs. Use real butter. Stay away from "low fat" labeled processed food.
These two statements are opposed to each other. It would help everyone a lot to know the answer or even if the answer is "we don't know as yet".
Old 10-19-15, 01:45 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
So I got serious about losing weight 2 years ago when my blood work showed some disturbing signs.

LDL was 184

So I lost 60+ pounds. Went into get my blood work last week. Results came back with:

LDL dropped to 152

So it looks like all that weight lost had minimal effect on the very reason I tried to lose all the weight. My doctor suggested that loosing weight would fix a lot of these issues but I guess not.
Way to go on the weight loss.

A 20% drop in LDL is a good start.

Cholesterol also depends on exercise. Mine got better at essentially the same weight (186 vs 190) eating the same things but increasing from commuting only to 6-7 hours a week. After that I ate fewer carbs but more fat of all sorts now except trans-fat - I don't do processed food apart from energy bars.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]2012/12/18[/TD]
[TD]2014/05/19[/TD]
[TD]2015/09/04[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]weight (pounds)[/TD]
[TD]190[/TD]
[TD]186[/TD]
[TD]136[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]weekly hours riding[/TD]
[TD]1-2[/TD]
[TD]6-7[/TD]
[TD]10-11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]total cholesterol[/TD]
[TD]244[/TD]
[TD]185[/TD]
[TD]181[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LDL cholesterol[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]131[/TD]
[TD]112[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]HDL cholesterol[/TD]
[TD]61[/TD]
[TD]55[/TD]
[TD]74[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 10-19-15, 01:50 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
That sounds pretty healthy to me. Been at this weight a long time?
It depends on build. Although my height is average at 5'9.5" I'm not too big and at 180 pounds have an extra 40-45 pounds of fat or 22-25% body fat beyond cycling fit.
Old 10-19-15, 01:50 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Way to go on the weight loss.

A 20% drop in LDL is a good start.

Cholesterol also depends on exercise. Mine got better at essentially the same weight (186 vs 190) eating the same things but increasing from commuting only to 6-7 hours a week. After that I ate fewer carbs but more fat of all sorts now except trans-fat - I don't do processed food apart from energy bars.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]2012/12/18[/TD]
[TD]2014/05/19[/TD]
[TD]2015/09/04[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]weight (pounds)[/TD]
[TD]190[/TD]
[TD]186[/TD]
[TD]136[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]weekly hours riding[/TD]
[TD]1-2[/TD]
[TD]6-7[/TD]
[TD]10-11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]total cholesterol[/TD]
[TD]244[/TD]
[TD]185[/TD]
[TD]181[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LDL cholesterol[/TD]
[TD]166[/TD]
[TD]131[/TD]
[TD]112[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]HDL cholesterol[/TD]
[TD]61[/TD]
[TD]55[/TD]
[TD]74[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Thanks but realistically there is little left to lose. I am 180 now and could get to 175 if I tried really hard, but that's pushing my high school weight.
Old 10-19-15, 02:32 PM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that you don't consume enough fiber and that you eat too much protein.
Old 10-19-15, 02:43 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
congrats on the weight drop!!!

Numbers can be skewed by a varity of thing, some things you can't change like genes. What was your last meals before the blood draw?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 10-19-15, 02:51 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ciderguy
My guess is that you don't consume enough fiber and that you eat too much protein.
Perhaps not enough fiber but I don't eat much protein at all. Protein tastes good, but its high caloric and I've been focusing on filling but low caloric food like green vegetables.
Old 10-19-15, 02:51 PM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
congrats on the weight drop!!!

Numbers can be skewed by a varity of thing, some things you can't change like genes. What was your last meals before the blood draw?
I purposely ate my regular diet and didn't eat too good or too bad since I wanted to get a realistic reading.
Old 10-19-15, 02:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 4,052 Times in 2,627 Posts
Look at your balance between the Omega 3 and Omega 6 proteins. Without a focus on the Omega 3s, the usual foods will be very Omega 6 skewed. This country has done a rather impressive job of weeding (rather literally) Omega 3s out of the food chain.

Ben
Old 10-19-15, 03:13 PM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps not enough fiber but I don't eat much protein at all. Protein tastes good, but its high caloric and I've been focusing on filling but low caloric food like green vegetables.
The fiber/ protein thing is just a general guess, since I have no idea about your specific diet. Something like 97% of Americans eat more protein than they need and don't eat enough fiber. If you are eating lots of fruits and vegetables, like enough to double the minimum of 35g of fiber you'd need (35g @ 2,500 calorie diet), then you might just need to give your body time to adjust to the new weight. Try to cut out any processed foods, if you eat any. Substitute beans for some animal protein. Get rid of any added fats or oils and eat more nuts & seeds. Try to eat more flax seeds.
Old 10-19-15, 03:40 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can be skinny as a rail and still have poor health if your diet trends that way.
Old 10-19-15, 03:41 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Don't forget to look at Glycemic Load as well as Glycemic Index. Glycemic load indicates how many carbs are in something versus the rate at which it gets into the blood stream. So a food can be low GI and have a high GL. Like beans for example. Low GI, but they still contain a shed load of carbs and aren't good for your blood sugar levels unless eaten in moderation. The carbohydrate might get into the blood slowly but there is still a hell of a lot for the body to deal with.
It also depends on your exercise level. My partner is type 1, when we are on tour she can eat just about anything she likes whilst cutting down her insulin to 25% of normal. Icecream, potato chips, whatever. But she needs to be riding a loaded touring bike 6 hours a day, extreme exercise level really. At home she doesn't eat things like swedes, beans or anything like that much. Anything with a medium or above GI or GL, even if they are vegetables.

Of some interest is her bodies reaction before she goes on a ride. For a while she had a problem with hypos during rides. Eventually we figured out what was happening. Her blood sugar would spike before a ride as her body got prepared by dumping a lot of glucose into her blood stream in anticipation. She'd go oh, better get that down and inject some insulin, then she'd crash, because the glucose all got used up and not replaced.

Last edited by Trevtassie; 10-19-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 03:58 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Remember type two diabetes (I myself am combatting this) is different for every person. What works for me may not work for you. Foods I can eat might take and spike your blood glucose levels.

I have found quality of sleep, exercise, and diet (no not I need to lose weight so I am going on a diet, but watching what I eat and drinking lots of water kind of diet) all work together.

Glucose levels also are effected by your overall health... getting a cold and your glucose levels could be higher than normal (at least it is for me).

Also sometimes you will lose mass while not losing weight as you gain muscle.

Good luck on figuring out what works for you, drink lots of water, and get on that darned bike
Old 10-19-15, 04:15 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Framingham study demonstrated no correlation between cholesterol levels and heart health.

The brain needs cholesterol.
Old 10-19-15, 04:20 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Not sure about what's being eaten but lower triglycerides may not be possible if the intake of read meat goes up...
Old 10-19-15, 08:10 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 90 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses. Heres some more information:

Diet: I eat a low carb high vegetable low meat diet. That's one way I lost a lot of weight by eatings lots of filling but caloric poor (relative to weight) food likes broccoli, Cauliflower etc.

Exercise: I do 2 times 45 minutes of sprinting a week (i.e. 17+mph) and 2 times 2 hour rides at 15mph at least. Some weeks I'll do double that.

History: I don't smoke and drink socially. Diabetes does run in my family but only when we are very overweight (i.e. no skinny diabetics in our family).

Thanks again. But this resulted really deflated me immensely.
What happens if you ride double what you are now weekly? How often are you cheeking your BG? Riding more at an even lower intensity may improve your numbers. Find out for you.
Old 10-19-15, 08:26 PM
Catinella

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Animal products contain cholesterol. Eliminating or significantly reducing your intake of animal products such as meat, cheese, milk, etc., will help you reduce your cholesterol.

Reduce your carb intake, or time your higher carb intake to coincide with bike rides or exercise. Choose lower Glycemic Index foods when you can.

I had figures similar to yours, and by exercising, reducing my carb and animal product intake, I brought all my blood work to normal. My A1c went from 6.8 to 5.4. Yes, a little high but managed.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Catinella; 10-19-15 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 08:37 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Catinella
Animal products contain cholesterol. Eliminating or significantly reducing your intake of animal products such as meat, cheese, milk, etc., will help you reduce your cholesterol.
Wrong! It has been demonstrated that there is no link between the two unless it is a positive one such as eating the whole egg will improve the balance between hdl and ldl.
Old 10-19-15, 09:01 PM
Catinella

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Wrong! It has been demonstrated that there is no link between the two unless it is a positive one such as eating the whole egg will improve the balance between hdl and ldl.
It has always been my understanding that animal products do contain cholesterol. It makes sense to me that if you are prone to high cholesterol levels and eat fewer animal products your cholesterol levels should go down. Results vary I'm sure, but in my case I went almost vegan for about 4 months and saw my cholesterol levels plummet. I am now not eating anywhere near as many animal products as I once had, and my cholesterol levels are still good. Yes, I have heard about whole eggs and cholesterol, but I will have to take science's word for that. I doubt I can confirm the link myself at home by eating eggs, but I can confirm that going vegan lite for a few months got my cholesterol levels in check.
Old 10-20-15, 02:11 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Look at your balance between the Omega 3 and Omega 6 proteins. Without a focus on the Omega 3s, the usual foods will be very Omega 6 skewed. This country has done a rather impressive job of weeding (rather literally) Omega 3s out of the food chain.

Ben
I am sorry, but either you have the nomenclature wrong, or you are posting entirely incorrect information.

Omega 3 and 6 are fatty acids -- that is, polyunsaturated fats -- and definitely are not proteins.
Old 10-20-15, 08:50 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, losing weight and getting off the couch definitely worked for me.. We just had our health screening at work and my number improved dramatically! Not following any specific diet other than cutting all the junk/fast food out and watching my calories. Also started pedaling, both indoors and outdoors. I'm doing a lot of higher intensity stuff. I was pretty shocked at just how much my number improved!
Old 10-20-15, 08:53 AM
jazzgeek79

Bikes: Trek 700 (2000ish), 88 Schwinn Voyaguer, late 80's-ish lugged Spalding mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, Based on the info you gave on your current diet and weight, I'd be pushing for more investigation on the medical side. It sounds like you are getting a good amount of fiber, and plenty of exercise. Maybe a re-test to check for error? Maybe a regular check of your fasting blood sugar and then blood sugar after meals, exercise, etc. Your AC1 suggests that you have some level of insulin resistance or your pancreas isn't working properly. I'm by no means a doctor, but I am dealing with being pre-diabetic myself (with a family history of type-II on both sides). I wouldn't ignore that test.