Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do you pay for your public transportation?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 08:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I don't...I have two bikes and one's on the way.
That's nice. Do you know anything about the payment systems in your local public transportation system? What is it currently like? Are they planning changes in the near or distant future?
Old 12-11-15, 09:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,062 Posts
How should everybody pay for their bicycling supplies or anything else? Are cash payments obsolete in the days of bank cards and smartphones? I believe some Car Free People ride bicycles and many have smart phones, some shop at their local grocery stores, some eat their meals at restaurants too, so are the method of payment at those locations and for those products/services also definitely a living car free/light topic because somebody on the LCF list is curious about the topic of payment options?
Old 12-11-15, 10:34 PM
rockmom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only worked for employers who provide bus passes so I stop in human resources once a year to get a pass. We buy the kids semester passes online (it adds up to $330 per kid per year for unlimited rides). According to the website, you can pay $2.00 cash or buy a 10 ride card for $15.00. A 31 day unlimited pass is $58.00.
Old 12-11-15, 10:36 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

What system does your city have in place for patrons to pay for public transportation?

And secondly ... do you have the pay wave bank card system they mention in the article in your city or one close to you?
New Jersey and New York have the "Pay wave bank card system" but I don't use it. Sometimes the readers don't work and when that happens, you better have cash to pay for the bus! Plus, I don't feel safe with my credit card now having a chip that some hacker can steal the contents

I actually use a combination of three systems.

1. Bus Pass --- This allows me to use any bus system 24/7 every day of the year. I can't take as many buses during the day as I wish. This is a huge benefit for those like myself who are carfree and can travel basically for free during the weekends. I use this card for my express bus into Manhattan.

2. New York Metro Card --- I buy trips and use it once a day. The beauty of this card is that you don't have to carry change and it offers a discount. I could buy the monthly card but I only use it once a day so that would be too costly.

3. Path Subway Card --- I use this card on my return trip home and it has an electronic chip. I put money into the card, similar to the New York Metro card. It gives you a free ride if you put enough funds.

I actually prefer these systems over using a "Bank Card system" any day. Why?

1. Bank card systems do not give you free rides or credit --- When using a bank card, you have to pay full fare each time. Transfers are not acceptable.

2. Bank cards do not give you unlimited rides each month --- Using an unlimited monthly card, you can ride as many times during the day including weekends. I sometimes use the bus to take me 5 blocks. I'll take three buses at times to avoid having to board a train because the bus is free with the monthly card.
Old 12-12-15, 06:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Mas transit in Metro NY uses Metropass, which is sold in various types, from single ride, to 4 trip, 10 trip, or weekly or monthly unlimited ride passes. There are also cards that auto replenish from a bank account or credit card at about $20 at a time. It's a simple very workable system, and on buses, the free transfers are automatic.

I think I prefer the pass's batch bank transactions to cluttering up my bank statement with 2-4 transactions daily, plus there's added security.

If I had my druthers, the only change I'd make is to replace the existing pass with a RFID key tag or something.
According to that first article I linked to ...

Tourism and Transport Forum Australia CEO Margy Osmond said contactless payments for public transport were the way of the future. “It’s the next logical step to improving the customer experience and importantly breaking down the barriers for visitors using a strange public transport system.”

Could Mr Judge see a day when even bank cards were obsolete for travel payments? “Yes, eventually,” he said. “It’s possible it might be common place to have a constellation of things to transact from — a phone, a ring on the finger or it might be their spectacles.”

So who knows ... maybe you'll eventually get your RFID key tag.
Old 12-12-15, 07:52 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to that first article I linked to ...
Tourism and Transport Forum Australia CEO Margy Osmond said contactless payments for public transport were the way of the future. “It’s the next logical step to improving the customer experience and importantly breaking down the barriers for visitors using a strange public transport system.”

Could Mr Judge see a day when even bank cards were obsolete for travel payments? “Yes, eventually,” he said. “It’s possible it might be common place to have a constellation of things to transact from — a phone, a ring on the finger or it might be their spectacles.”

So who knows ... maybe you'll eventually get your RFID key tag.
Why make people carry anything? I'm holding out for the retina scanner approach. Or maybe voice-print identification aka 2001 A Space Oddesey.
Old 12-12-15, 08:58 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,286 Posts
This thread is starting to sound as if we're all going to be living in cashless society few years from now. I highly doubt this is going to happen anytime soon.
It's good to have a variety of different options to pay for things. Why does it all have to be smartphones, apps and pay by waving ??...What's wrong with cash ??...Majority of my purchases are paid with bank card using debit, but I still carry some cash on me and use it often.
Old 12-12-15, 09:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wolfchild
This thread is starting to sound as if we're all going to be living in cashless society few years from now.
I don't think anyone has said that.

Anyway, this thread isn't about cash vs. other methods of payments ... it is about what the public transportation systems we are familiar with currently use for payment, and what the possibilities of the future might look like (based on what was said in the article in the original post.)

As it says in the article regarding the changes in Australia's future, it will likely be 2019 before the bank card system which London is currently using as one of their payment options will start to be implemented. Similar changes in other parts of the world may occur sooner or later than that. The article does not comment on a cashless society because that is not the topic of the article..

The article ...
Opal, Myki, Go Card: Australia?s public transport cards falling behind

And part of the bit I quoted back in my original post ...

Transport systems needed to be easy to use or people will choose to drive instead, he said.

“How can you stop the thought process of someone going, ‘I’m in a hurry, I’d like to get on that bus, can I get a ticket in that shop over there and will the bus still be there when I get back?’ to a much more spontaneous, ‘great there’s a bus, I’ve got something in my pocket I can pay with, I just get on, tap and ride it.’”

Using bank cards has another benefit — you don’t need a wallet full of different smartcards for different cities. A bank card from Sydney could be just as easily used in Melbourne or Singapore.

“It makes sense to make transport systems as accessible to the transient as well as the core population,” said Mr Judge."

Last edited by Machka; 12-12-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-12-15, 09:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Transport systems needed to be easy to use or people will choose to drive instead, he said.

“How can you stop the thought process of someone going, ‘I’m in a hurry, I’d like to get on that bus, can I get a ticket in that shop over there and will the bus still be there when I get back?’ to a much more spontaneous, ‘great there’s a bus, I’ve got something in my pocket I can pay with, I just get on, tap and ride it.’”

Using bank cards has another benefit — you don’t need a wallet full of different smartcards for different cities. A bank card from Sydney could be just as easily used in Melbourne or Singapore.

“It makes sense to make transport systems as accessible to the transient as well as the core population,” said Mr Judge."
Mr. Judge [spokesman for global payments giant MasterCard’s "transit centre of excellence"] says exactly what is expected from a paid shill for the process.

I doubt if a single person on the face of the Earth will choose to take a bus rather than drive because the transit system allows the use of various "smart" payment systems.
Old 12-12-15, 09:16 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is starting to sound as if we're all going to be living in cashless society few years from now. I highly doubt this is going to happen anytime soon.
It's good to have a variety of different options to pay for things. Why does it all have to be smartphones, apps and pay by waving ??...What's wrong with cash ??...Majority of my purchases are paid with bank card using debit, but I still carry some cash on me and use it often.
Many working people get paid in cash and don't even have bank accounts. I prefer to pay by card. But I strongly support preserving the ability to pay for transit or almost anything with cash. I think the government will continue to support the concept of legal tender for many years to come.
Old 12-12-15, 09:19 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Mr. Judge says exactly what to expect from a shill for the process.
I doubt if a single person on the face of the Earth will choose to take a bus rather than drive because the transit system allows the use of various "smart" payment systems.
Probably true. It's more a convenience for people that would ride the bus anyway. And I think, an idea with some merit if only in those terms.
Old 12-12-15, 09:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Walter S
Probably true. It's more a convenience for people that would ride the bus anyway. And I think, an idea with some merit if only in those terms.
Of course the cashless, smart payment options can be a convenience for those who can use them, as long as the needs of all the patrons are considered and not just those who consider themselves as the only worthy customers of the system.

Mr. Judge might find more customers for the transit systems if Mastercard sponsored electronic device charging outlets on the transport vehicles.

Of course, it would be no more be an LCF topic or affect "LCF people" any more than everybody else, than every other proposal on this thread.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-12-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-12-15, 09:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

"Using bank cards has another benefit — you don’t need a wallet full of different smartcards for different cities. A bank card from Sydney could be just as easily used in Melbourne or Singapore” said Mr Judge."
Right! If all passengers were required to pay their fare with a Mr. Judge approved Mastercard, Mastercard would get a cut of every fare paid to every transit system.
Old 12-12-15, 09:53 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
About my only use of cash was the local coffee shop we visit at the end of group rides. Since they now take Visa I have virtually no need to carry cash. Use of cash in Canada is particularly bad as $5 is the smallest bill so you end up with buckets of coins.
Old 12-12-15, 10:09 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course the cashless, smart payment options can be a convenience for those who can use them, as long as the needs of all the patrons are considered and not just those who consider themselves as the only worthy customers of the system.

Mr. Judge might find more customers for the transit systems if Mastercard sponsored electronic device charging outlets on the transport vehicles.

Of course, it would be no more be an LCF topic or affect "LCF people" any more than everybody else, than every other proposal on this thread.
It is a topic of some interest to many if not most of the car free simply because they are more likely patrons of mass transit than people that own cars. It's not that there are not plenty of drivers that also use mass transit. But zero percent of those that are car free will be found to be in the huge group of car drivers that never take mass transit.
Old 12-12-15, 11:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Many working people get paid in cash and don't even have bank accounts.
Where do people who don't have bank accounts keep their money ??...Under their bed ??
My paycheque gets deposited electronically into my bank account. The only time when I receive actual cash from my employer is performance bonuses...Few times we also had a problem with payroll, and when that happens we all get a cheque which we have to deposit ourselves. It's very important to have a bank account. Maintaining a bank account costs peanuts and I am surprised how some people on this forum exaggerate the cost of having a bank account.
Old 12-12-15, 11:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It is a topic of some interest to many if not most of the car free simply because they are more likely patrons of mass transit than people that own cars. It's not that there are not plenty of drivers that also use mass transit. But zero percent of those that are car free will be found to be in the huge group of car drivers that never take mass transit.
Lots of topics are "of some interest" to some car free folk, like what books or movies they enjoy, or which sports team they support if any, or which smart phone or data plan they use, or where or how much they walked today, or a whole host of other topics/activities which are not peculiar to so called "car free people."

My point is that topics are not car free topics or relevant to living car free just because someone who is/or is not car free is "interested" in said topic, or likes to post about their daily activities/random thoughts.

P&R topics of interest to some of the car free are finally being placed where they are appropriate.

Perhaps the list should have its own sub list for posting personal blogs and fooish subjects of interest to some of our so called car free comrades.
Old 12-12-15, 11:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Where do people who don't have bank accounts keep their money ??...Under their bed ??
My paycheque gets deposited electronically into my bank account. The only time when I receive actual cash from my employer is performance bonuses...Few times we also had a problem with payroll, and when that happens we all get a cheque which we have to deposit ourselves. It's very important to have a bank account. Maintaining a bank account costs peanuts and I am surprised how some people on this forum exaggerate the cost of having a bank account.
Empathy much?

Can I presume that none of the Car Free/Bus Riding Folk you know (or know anything about) are in the lowest income brackets?
Old 12-12-15, 11:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Bus across the River to a near by town in Washington is Half a Buck, where a similar trip distance staying in Oregon is $3..

State subsidies make the difference .. vs just County tax based budgets ...

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-26-15 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 11:24 AM
ganchan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can get a local 24-hour bus pass for $2.50. I only need to take the bus about once a week, though. Once in a while I spring for the pricier express service across town.

Otherwise, anything that's bikeable (for me), I bike. Anything that's walkable (for me), I walk. I also use a shuttle service to and from the airport.
Old 12-12-15, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5921 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,567 Posts
It's nice to be decently well off.

The reality is that bank accounts are more expensive for poorer people who can't maintain decent minimum balances or do whatever it takes to get cheap or free checking accounts. There's also the questions of the definition or "peanuts". A few dollars a month doesn't sound like much unless it's your last few dollars. For folks who barely get by week to week (and there are many, and they're the ones most likely using mass transit) the cost of a bank account may equal the cost of a dinner for the family, or some other more important outlay.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-12-15, 11:39 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of topics are "of some interest" to some car free folk, like what books or movies they enjoy, or which sports team they support if any, or which smart phone or data plan they use, or where or how much they walked today, or a whole host of other topics/activities which are not peculiar to so called "car free people."

My point is that topics are not car free topics or relevant to living car free just because someone who is/or is not car free is "interested" in said topic, or likes to post about their daily activities/random thoughts.

P&R topics of interest to some of the car free are finally being placed where they are appropriate.

Perhaps the list should have its own sub list for posting personal blogs and fooish subjects of interest to some of our so called car free comrades.
It's not just of interest and that's it. It's relevant to the techniques by which you most easily manage a car free lifestyle.
Old 12-12-15, 11:45 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of people are poorly educated, have no permanent home or steady job, speak poor english, have less than $100 dollars, don't trust "the man", etc.
Old 12-12-15, 01:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's nice to be decently well off.

The reality is that bank accounts are more expensive for poorer people who can't maintain decent minimum balances or do whatever it takes to get cheap or free checking accounts. There's also the questions of the definition or "peanuts". A few dollars a month doesn't sound like much unless it's your last few dollars. For folks who barely get by week to week (and there are many, and they're the ones most likely using mass transit) the cost of a bank account may equal the cost of a dinner for the family, or some other more important outlay.
Even people who make minimum wage should be able to find some bank or financial institution which has no monthly fees or at least a very minimum fee to maintain an account.
Some large grocery store chains also have their own financial services which offer the same services as all major banks but at a much cheaper cost. I don't know of any company that pays actual cash. Majority give out cheques or direct deposit... How is a person supposed to deposit their payroll cheque if they don't have a bank account ??
Old 12-12-15, 02:11 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 863 Posts
Even people who make minimum wage should be able to find some bank or financial institution which has no monthly fees or at least a very minimum fee to maintain an account.
Some large grocery store chains also have their own financial services which offer the same services as all major banks but at a much cheaper cost. I don't know of any company that pays actual cash. Majority give out cheques or direct deposit... How is a person supposed to deposit their payroll cheque if they don't have a bank account ??
My company, and presumably many others, offers an option to load your pay onto a pre-paid Visa card (or something like it) if you don't want direct deposit.

I guess there is not much difference from a paper check. In fact, it might be easier and cheaper for those without a bank account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.