Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey now available at Nashbar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lynskey now available at Nashbar

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 04:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3764 Post(s)
Liked 5,712 Times in 2,881 Posts
Last year, when I bought my Lynskey, you could buy direct from Lynskey, from a LBS dealer or mail order from Adrenaline Bikes. I got my frame direct from Lynskey, a friend bought the same frame from Adrenaline a couple of months later as Lynskey was out. Neither of us wanted to buy from the local dealer because they are asses (that's a whole other issue.) Anyway, the Nashbar business is interesting because IIRC, they began marketing Litespeeds through some mail order firms (CO Cyclist?) just before selling out.
Old 12-21-15, 04:10 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW,
I am of the opinion that there are a number or respected bike brands looking at internet sales as a way to enter the US bike market. There have been a number of indications over the last few months, alluding to this. It's much harder to enter the US market with Trek. Spec etc often demanding exclusive or near exclusive branding in the brick and mortar. For that matter, Lynskey may be feeling a pitch from this as well. So, how do you enter the US market then? Internet sales of first rate product, and undercut the price of the US brands. When buyers go looking for info, they find all the overseas references, combined with a lower price, and you start making a dent in the US market. Lynskey, could be changing strategy to help the current bottom line, and to adapt to expected changes in the market. For that matter, Spec/Trek/etc attempts to lock down dealers the last couple years, looks like an attempt to try to impede the internet penetration of sales.

As for BD Ti bikes. I bought one. Love it. NO LACK of quality for a fraction of the price. When looking at Ti bikes, Lynskey wanted $300 to brush the frame, $1200 to paint it if I wanted it painted, and $200 to assemble it, then take it apart and send you a box of parts. While the lowest price Ti COMPLETE bike with 105 from BD using a Ora Ti frame (Ora is well know and respected) for $1399.
Old 12-21-15, 04:21 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Last year, when I bought my Lynskey, you could buy direct from Lynskey, from a LBS dealer or mail order from Adrenaline Bikes. I got my frame direct from Lynskey, a friend bought the same frame from Adrenaline a couple of months later as Lynskey was out. Neither of us wanted to buy from the local dealer because they are asses (that's a whole other issue.) Anyway, the Nashbar business is interesting because IIRC, they began marketing Litespeeds through some mail order firms (CO Cyclist?) just before selling out.
It is typical of the bike industry to try to give some sort of advanced warning before "pulling out" of a sales arrangement. Especially an arrangement as important as one central to any important business partners, such as the LBS. Courtesy has been a valued part of bicycle business relationships, for the most part. (Times, though, they are a changin...) Adrenaline, is in line with Nasbar on pricing today but they weren't yesterday. This has got to be a disappointing development at Adrenaline. (Nashbar is such an important force in online "bike & accessories" sales and their price drops are almost predictable enough so that a careful shopper could use that deeply discounted price more like a regular price.)

Last edited by cale; 12-21-15 at 04:25 PM. Reason: changed "agreement" to "arrangement" two places
Old 12-21-15, 04:27 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger

As for BD Ti bikes. I bought one. Love it. NO LACK of quality for a fraction of the price. When looking at Ti bikes, Lynskey wanted $..
Now that's counter-intuitive. (heavy sarcasm) You got more for less and you didn't have to give up any of the "good" stuff? Haha
Old 12-21-15, 04:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Just looked at the Adrenaline site, they have a variety of 2016 Lynskey models and say they will match Lynskey.com prices. I went to the Lynskey site and found no mention of where the bikes are made!! I'm almost certain they had lots to say about built in TN, etc, at one time. Maybe someone will ask them directly and report back.
Old 12-21-15, 04:33 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just looked at the Adrenaline site, they have a variety of 2016 Lynskey models and say they will match Lynskey.com prices. I went to the Lynskey site and found no mention of where the bikes are made!! I'm almost certain they had lots to say about built in TN, etc, at one time. Maybe someone will ask them directly and report back.
I too was convinced they did a site update today between my visits. But I'm from Seattle... Nashbar's description on the Lynsky frame pages reiterates the Made in the U.S.A. promise.
Old 12-21-15, 04:33 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Now that's counter-intuitive. (heavy sarcasm) You got more for less and you didn't have to give up any of the "good" stuff? Haha
Yes, and I take no position on who is correct here. But "counter-intuitive" even "with heavy sarcasm" and false are not the same thing.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-21-15, 04:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

This thread reminds me of Chicken-Little. You know, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling."

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-21-15, 04:37 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
This thread reminds me of Chicken-Little. You know, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling."
Wanna take ... Oh, wait.. that's probably against forum policy. Nevermind.
Old 12-21-15, 04:39 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, and I take no position on who is correct here. But "counter-intuitive" even "with heavy sarcasm" and false are not the same thing.
I don't think I gave it the right "twist" then. How about this? Wink
Old 12-21-15, 04:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Well, I already have mine and it's MUSA and I'm happy with it so if they move it all to China I guess I can live with it. I expect Chinee Ti is sort of like the buffet I ate at today. There is no way to ID what the stuff is but it tasted good. Seriously though, I hope they are just finding a new outlet for production. I've lived in TN for a few years now and it's nice to think about folks just down the road having a skill and making a nice product. Lynskey road and mtn bikes are very popular here in the Nashville area.
Old 12-21-15, 07:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 382 Posts
In the league? Heck no. They're a second tier manufacturer. You've compared them to first-tier manufacturers. (I don't find it easy to put Lynsky and Diamondback in the same sentence except to say they both make bikes.)

Among those mass-marketers are Performance Bikes on the brick and mortar side as well as other sports outlets. If you think they're less than a "bike store brand" I'd recommend visiting a Performance bike shop.

Schwinn? They had a really rocky time in the early 2000's. It was full steam ahead at Raleigh America where DB engineers were innovating road bike design after a historical start in BMX and mtb segments. It was a exciting time for the group. What was Schwinn doing? Not much.
You clearly know more about Diamond Back than I do. However, the marketing approach they've taken causes me, and others casually acquainted with the brand, to lump them in with others such as Schwinn, i.e. a former quality brand, which now is just being used to market cheap generic Asian frames.

Whether that perception is right or wrong, it's the danger of the marketing strategy.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-21-15, 07:28 PM
ErichVonCartman
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seems like a lot of you are stuck in the 1970s.
Old 12-21-15, 07:55 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
A few years ago Lynskey made a road frame for Performance. I don't think it cheapened the brand any.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ame-700-a.html

Someone beat me to it. I'm not a lynskey fan- had a really bad experience w/ them, although that sales mgr is now gone I'd never even think about buying one of their frames again, especially when there are other options.
Old 12-21-15, 07:59 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Whatever. Doesn't change the reality, that while the BD Ti doesn't have the snob appeal, it does have the bike appeal, and quality to go with it. Similar configure Lynskey was thousands more. Couple hundred more, and i would have done Lynskey, but thousands..... well you have to be competitive. My wallet is not the answer to all your issues. I owe you nothing.

I'm sure Kia, Hyundai, Toyota etc don't meet up to snob appeal either. But I will keep the $$$ difference, and have an excellent car/truck. I'm not impressed with marketing BS. I will pay for real benefit, but if all you have is nebulous marketing BS (i.e. craftsmanship with nothing to back it up), then you have not earned the $$$. Just because it's "hand made", does not mean it's better. Construction plans can be hand made and draw by a skilled drafter, or they can be made by a skilled technician using computer software. Guess which one is better?

So yes, a quality Ti bike from BD, with a known quality Ti frame, with quality 105 components, with quality disc brakes etc for less than I would have paid for a Lynskey frame with no hard benefits from the Lynskey frame. That IS more for less, whether it is accepted by bike snobs or not.
Old 12-21-15, 08:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I don't think anyone is bashing BD Ti bikes. I've never read anything uncomplimentary about them. I'd be willing to bet, however, that if price was not an issue most folks would pick the Lynskey.
Old 12-21-15, 08:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

I don't think anyone is bashing BD Ti bikes. I've never read anything uncomplimentary about them. I'd be willing to bet, however, that if price was not an issue most folks would pick the Lynskey.
I have a high regard for them too, but in most cases the welds don't compare in appearance to the higher priced Ti frames. Truthfully I don't think that matters to performance. Nicer looks are nicer though. And the weights of the BD frames are higher. I can't speak to the ride quality.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-21-15, 09:14 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
Whatever. Doesn't change the reality, that while the BD Ti doesn't have the snob appeal, it does have the bike appeal, and quality to go with it. Similar configure Lynskey was thousands more. Couple hundred more, and i would have done Lynskey, but thousands..... well you have to be competitive. My wallet is not the answer to all your issues. I owe you nothing.

I'm sure Kia, Hyundai, Toyota etc don't meet up to snob appeal either. But I will keep the $$$ difference, and have an excellent car/truck. I'm not impressed with marketing BS. I will pay for real benefit, but if all you have is nebulous marketing BS (i.e. craftsmanship with nothing to back it up), then you have not earned the $$$. Just because it's "hand made", does not mean it's better. Construction plans can be hand made and draw by a skilled drafter, or they can be made by a skilled technician using computer software. Guess which one is better?

So yes, a quality Ti bike from BD, with a known quality Ti frame, with quality 105 components, with quality disc brakes etc for less than I would have paid for a Lynskey frame with no hard benefits from the Lynskey frame. That IS more for less, whether it is accepted by bike snobs or not.
Yes yes yes. You're right and I made a unintelligible post. This is true. I'm trying to be sincere but I'm afraid this post will also be misunderstood. I'm going to stop now.
Old 12-21-15, 10:01 PM
quicktrigger

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I apparently mis-understood. My apology. And I do want to make it clear, as stated above, had Lynskey been "in the same ballpark" that is how I would have went. I do prefer to buy US made where justifiable. I'm on my third Ford truck, after all. Got 180,000 miles out of the last Ford truck, and it was still running well. Just the difference was WAY too much.

As for the BD Ti frames, I agree my bike is a bit heavier than some other Ti frames, and that might matter to some people. Fair enough. As for welds, they look very good to me, and I have seen Lynskey welds, but I really have no background in this, so "what would I know?" Just trying to clarify. Not trying to argue and off topic point.

Back to original topic. I know my local Lynskey dealer is currently trying to sale his demo bikes for a significant lose. He does not know what is going on with them either, but is trying to part with his current bikes fore the lose gets worse. I truly hope Lynskey is not in trouble, but it sure looks like they probable are, and trying desperately to adapt and save the farm so to speak. Alas, they are likely not to be the last IMHO. That includes some of the bigger players as well.

QT
Old 12-21-15, 10:02 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think anyone is bashing BD Ti bikes. I've never read anything uncomplimentary about them.
When I was shopping around and talking to US titanium builders, they had plenty of negative info to share about the BD Ti bikes.
Old 12-21-15, 10:06 PM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
When I was shopping around and talking to US titanium builders, they had plenty of negative info to share about the BD Ti bikes.
Well...obviously...
Old 12-22-15, 12:53 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I was going to go for the high end BD Ti bike ($2200) and then Lynskey had their sale and for $2200 I got an R140 with 105. I consider the trade off of full Ultegra for FSA/105 to be acceptable to get a really nice looking Lynskey Ti frame.

And more of my $ stayed in the US.
Old 12-22-15, 02:32 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I agree, but in fairness to those who might think otherwise, that WAS a different Bike Nashbar back then.
Exactly. This is the point that I was making. They are not the cool North Carolina little company that they use to be.
Old 12-22-15, 05:19 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
As Lago the parrot would say, "Why am I not surprised?"

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-22-15, 05:20 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Exactly. This is the point that I was making. They are not the cool North Carolina little company that they use to be.
Actually, it is Performance that originated (and is still headquartered) in North Carolina. Nashbar started in Columbus, Ohio or a town in that vicinity.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.