Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Small sizes or just me?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Small sizes or just me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 06:52 AM
chil2makefun

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small sizes or just me?

Hey all,

Prety simple question. I'm getting a new frame and while looking at the geometry chart, I'd need the biggest size but I'm only 1m75 or 5'9".
So are these sizes fairly small compared to other brands or am I missing something?

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Workswellgeometrie.jpg (90.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-17-16, 01:43 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody?
Old 01-17-16, 03:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 3,379 Posts
I think there has been a shift to smaller frames in recent years, especially in "performance" bikes.

At 5'10, I ride a 60cm frame, but that seems to be from a bygone era. Perhaps the frame was a bit too large for me when I bought it, and I never completely grew into the bike, but it has always been a great ride.

So, people up to about 6' are commonly choosing the 52 to 56cm frames.

I'm not quite sure what those people over 6'6 do, or for that matter, those under 4'6. A lot is about mass marketting, and those that fall outside of the norm are just ignored.

With a long uncut steer tube, plus a multitude of stems, there is a lot of adjustment in bar height. Likewise, strong tall seatposts have been made. Some of those frames will have a maximum seatpost insertion. 6 to 8"?
Old 01-17-16, 04:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 348 Posts
Top tubes got longer in the '90s, so most of us responded by sizing down a couple centimeters. At 5'9", you're right in the pocket of Medium, which means somewhere in the 53-55 cm range for a road bike.
Old 01-19-16, 12:55 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun
Hey all,

Prety simple question. I'm getting a new frame and while looking at the geometry chart, I'd need the biggest size but I'm only 1m75 or 5'9".
So are these sizes fairly small compared to other brands or am I missing something?

Thanks

The sizing looks normal, they just don't have any 58+/XL sizes like most of the major manufacturers. Probably because they're primarily Taiwan/China, so the average customer is smaller. The 56 size, is about typical geometry for the other manufacturers, just the major brands usually sell a 58 and 60 size.

Their sizing is perfectly normal, they just don't sell bikes appropriate for >6' tall riders. I'm 6'0" and my bike is similar sizing to the 56 shown here, so they aren't comically small.
Old 01-19-16, 01:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,568 Posts
Historically there were serious limits on seat post extension above the top tube, so frames needed to be taller. However with the advent of mtn bikes, and their combination of smaller sloping top tube frames combined with seat posts as long as 400mm, that need changed. Up angle stems used with threadless headset systems also factor in frames being functionally taller than their seat tube length might indicate.

However, there's a limit to stem height on a shorter horizontal top tube frame, and a non-racing taller rider using a long post may be very disappointed in the maximum bar height.

So, what you see is a combination of changes in design and also reflects some limited purpose.

The OP needs to consider what he's looking for in this bike and how high he might want his handlebars and decide if this will met his needs. If not, he should look at either a taller or sloping top tube frame.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-20-16, 02:24 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
The sizing looks normal, they just don't have any 58+/XL sizes like most of the major manufacturers. Probably because they're primarily Taiwan/China, so the average customer is smaller. The 56 size, is about typical geometry for the other manufacturers, just the major brands usually sell a 58 and 60 size.

Their sizing is perfectly normal, they just don't sell bikes appropriate for >6' tall riders. I'm 6'0" and my bike is similar sizing to the 56 shown here, so they aren't comically small.
That's what I thought but I figured that there was a chance I was missing something because I need their biggest size.
Old 01-20-16, 03:13 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Just be glad you need a size that virtually every frame will be available in your size. I finally gave up finding one of the China framesets in my size in a relaxed/endurance geometry.
Old 01-20-16, 04:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked 2,806 Times in 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by chil2makefun
That's what I thought but I figured that there was a chance I was missing something because I need their biggest size.
Just because it's their biggest size doesn't mean it'll fit you properly. Saddle height is easy with a long post, but top tube length and maximum stem height may be inadequate for you. IMO unless you're a serious rider who prefers low handlebars 3-4 inches below the top of he saddle, you may not be happy at all.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-20-16, 06:46 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 5'7" and I ride a 54-55 cm which is a M bike.

Sizing is spot-on for smaller guys which is why M bikes tend to be widespread in Asia.
Old 01-23-16, 05:36 PM
chil2makefun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Just because it's their biggest size doesn't mean it'll fit you properly. Saddle height is easy with a long post, but top tube length and maximum stem height may be inadequate for you. IMO unless you're a serious rider who prefers low handlebars 3-4 inches below the top of he saddle, you may not be happy at all.
As a mather of fact, my current set-up has a little over 3.5 inches of drop. I only came to the conclusion that I'd need their biggest size after I compared the geometry with my current set-up in the stack and reach calculator.