Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

January, 16 monthly weight loss goal.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

January, 16 monthly weight loss goal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 07:54 PM
Flatbroke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
1/04/16: 214.75 lbs
1/11/16: 209.00 lbs
5.75 lbs down from last week. A good start. I'm not making excuses, but I am concerned about the next week. I'm going to my annual state conference tomorrow night until Sunday. So it will be restaurant meals and a little fun with my buddies. If I weigh in at 209 next week, I'll consider that a victory. I have to watch the carbs and alcohol. In the past, one or two drinks will lower my inhibitions which leads me to overeating very easily. I may go dry for this conference and be the designated driver each night.
DD may work to your advantage as the others should buy your dinner
Old 01-11-16, 07:54 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by customsound79
I hit my 90lbs lost mark this morning at 395. Can I make 100 by Feb 1? Only one way to find out!
Great job!!!
Old 01-12-16, 03:57 AM
richkarr

Bikes: Karate Monkey, Trucker Deluxe, Brompton, Pugsley, Trek Transport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've achieved my first goal by getting under 200lbs. Today's weight is 195lbs. My ultimate goal is to get under 170lbs which I believe I can achieve this year. This means 2 lbs per month minimum average weight loss. I'm going to target a 1lb per week weight reduction as a stretch goal.

Yesterday I restarted using the Kickr and went 7 miles in about half an hour. Today I managed 15 miles in slightly over an hour. My weight usually starts to drop when I get to 100 miles per week between the trainer and the bike. I have the right foods in the fridge to go with the exercise. Just have to make sure I actually eat the food in the fridge instead of picking something up for dinner on the way home from work.
Old 01-12-16, 10:46 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Forgot to check in yesterday but; holding steady at 260 as of yesterday morning. So down 2lbs in the last two weeks; 2lbs one week, none the next! Which is kind of par for the course for me. I seem to lose a lot, then hold steady for a week or two, then lose a lot for a week or two. Food journal says things are consistent. Maybe others have the same experience. All-in-all though it averages out at 1-2lbs/week.
Old 01-12-16, 11:25 AM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight
Forgot to check in yesterday but; holding steady at 260 as of yesterday morning. So down 2lbs in the last two weeks; 2lbs one week, none the next! Which is kind of par for the course for me. I seem to lose a lot, then hold steady for a week or two, then lose a lot for a week or two. Food journal says things are consistent. Maybe others have the same experience. All-in-all though it averages out at 1-2lbs/week.
That's good. I somehow gained 2 pounds over night
Old 01-14-16, 10:50 AM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbroke
That's good. I somehow gained 2 pounds over night
Overnight fluctuations are usually the result of something else, like water or just needing to poop. That's why I like the daily weigh-ins. Becacuse it means you don't step on the scale on a day when it 'fluctuated' and you spend one or two weeks being completely off because you 'picked' the wrong day.
Old 01-14-16, 11:22 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
I agree about the daily weigh-in. I was down to 229.4 this morning however I know that is partly due to an intestinal problem I had last night. For me losing weight takes a bunch of will power. I just purchased a new pair of bibs and they are too tight. The reward is knowing that in a couple of months they will fit better and I'll be a better climber.
Old 01-14-16, 12:36 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I agree about the daily weigh-in. I was down to 229.4 this morning however I know that is partly due to an intestinal problem I had last night. For me losing weight takes a bunch of will power. I just purchased a new pair of bibs and they are too tight. The reward is knowing that in a couple of months they will fit better and I'll be a better climber.
When I buy clothes I tend to buy them 'tight'. So I get to wear them longer. I have clothes that I bought and wore for a couple of months and now are huge on me. And clothes that I wore when I was 340+ are utterly useless. I have a suit jacket that I can completely wrap around me.
Old 01-14-16, 12:45 PM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Bikes: Kona Zone Two, Giant Contend, Polygon Path 3, Specialized Enduro 29

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I buy clothes I tend to buy them 'tight'. So I get to wear them longer. I have clothes that I bought and wore for a couple of months and now are huge on me. And clothes that I wore when I was 340+ are utterly useless. I have a suit jacket that I can completely wrap around me.
I'm down 2 more this morning. 8 more to reach my Jan goal. It's been going so well that I'm buying clothes I can't wear yet if they are on sale and donating larger clothes by the bag full. I drilled 2 more holes in my belt and am already flirting with the second. My reward right now is the Focus Cayo I'm building. Should be done this weekend. I'm going to hang a sign on it that says 350, set it in my bedroom, and look at it every time I get out of bed. Do you think the wife will mind that I'm looking at a bike for motivation?
Old 01-14-16, 12:47 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by customsound79
I'm down 2 more this morning. 8 more to reach my Jan goal. It's been going so well that I'm buying clothes I can't wear yet if they are on sale and donating larger clothes by the bag full. I drilled 2 more holes in my belt and am already flirting with the second. My reward right now is the Focus Cayo I'm building. Should be done this weekend. I'm going to hang a sign on it that says 350, set it in my bedroom, and look at it every time I get out of bed. Do you think the wife will mind that I'm looking at a bike for motivation?
Haha!

Whatever works! I too will be rewarding myself with a road bike later this year. Haven't completely decided but I've got some ideas.
Old 01-14-16, 02:39 PM
jimbo_h

Bikes: Trek Portland, Marin Indian Fire Trail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha!

Whatever works! I too will be rewarding myself with a road bike later this year. Haven't completely decided but I've got some ideas.
I too am thinking about a bike reward when I lose a little more. I have been eyeing the new Trek hardtails.
Old 01-15-16, 04:24 AM
richkarr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a tooth extracted yesterday in prep for an implant later this year. Talk about weight loss in baby steps ��. The dentist put me on a soft food / liquid diet for the next two weeks forcing a restock of the fridge. Should I get a good juicer and go all out? Or, stick with soups and prepared mush like yogurt, cottage cheese, jello, pudding, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.?
Old 01-15-16, 08:21 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by richkarr
Had a tooth extracted yesterday in prep for an implant later this year. Talk about weight loss in baby steps ��. The dentist put me on a soft food / liquid diet for the next two weeks forcing a restock of the fridge. Should I get a good juicer and go all out? Or, stick with soups and prepared mush like yogurt, cottage cheese, jello, pudding, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.?
Ha! I bought a really nice juicer after watching that documentary. I used it 3 times. The cost of raw food to make one cup of juice couple with the cleaning nightmare of a juicer let me instantly know that I wasn't up to the challenge. I did toss some watermelon, grapes, and an apple in on the last use and it was by far the best tasting drink I've ever had, period.
Old 01-15-16, 12:27 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Down again this morning...... feel hungry part of the time......
Old 01-15-16, 04:50 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Down again this morning...... feel hungry part of the time......
you are doing great. I keep giving in to junk food.
Old 01-15-16, 10:21 PM
richkarr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weighed in this morning at 194. Commuted by bike today for a total of 21.1 miles. Stopped by the healthy cafe on the way home and tried a 24 oz "Detox" juice (celery, carrots, parsley, spinach). Tasty but not filling. I hear you on the cost and mess if I try the juice route on my own. I think I'll try a few more store bought fresh juices and check the results before deciding on the personal juicer path.
Old 01-15-16, 11:49 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Down to 259 today.

Originally Posted by Flatbroke
you are doing great. I keep giving in to junk food.
Find some healthier, alternative snacks. Veggies are great. I always have some broccoli around.
Old 01-15-16, 11:55 PM
RomansFiveEight

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Weighed in this morning at 194. Commuted by bike today for a total of 21.1 miles. Stopped by the healthy cafe on the way home and tried a 24 oz "Detox" juice (celery, carrots, parsley, spinach). Tasty but not filling. I hear you on the cost and mess if I try the juice route on my own. I think I'll try a few more store bought fresh juices and check the results before deciding on the personal juicer path.
I wouldn't read into the detox stuff too much. Our bodies waste system is designed to be at work all the time and doesn't need to be "cleaned out". But it can be a great way to get some of the antioxidents and nutrients from those veggies. Beets, though they taste terrible, evidently have exceptional recovery benefits.
Old 01-16-16, 08:31 AM
customsound79
Twitching Dead Elephant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
-1 this morning. Just to give an example of sodium water retention, we went to a little Vietnamese joint and I got a large bowl of Pho(+Sriracha and a unidentified salty oil). While the calories were in line with my daily allowance I KNOW the sodium was double if not triple. I weighed in yesterday morning and I was up 4 lbs! I rode 14.7 miles yesterday and the sweat was so salty it was burning my eyes, but it got rid of the excess sodium. This morning's weigh-in was as if it never happened and I still lost some more.

I wouldn't read into the detox stuff too much. Our bodies waste system is designed to be at work all the time and doesn't need to be "cleaned out". But it can be a great way to get some of the antioxidents and nutrients from those veggies. Beets, though they taste terrible, evidently have exceptional recovery benefits.
I agree. Our bodies know what they are doing and most of the excess nutrients that we are paying for are flushed away. I will say the more whole foods I eat the more addictive it becomes. Although I still have a zapped breakfast burrito every morning it's coupled with fruit and whole wheat toast. Fresh raspberries and blueberries on peanut butter toast this morning was way better than preserves.
Old 01-16-16, 09:47 AM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down to 259 today.

Find some healthier, alternative snacks. Veggies are great. I always have some broccoli around.
man you are doing good.
Old 01-16-16, 11:18 AM
Black wallnut 

Blasted daily variation. Up to 230.6 this morning. Still down from the beginning of the month.
Old 01-16-16, 12:23 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back home after 8 days traveling and I'm down 1.5 to 262 lbs. I'm not losing as quickly as I'd like but any downward movement is good.

Meanwhile, on the juicing front, something similar is a blender like a Vitamix. They're horrendously expensive (though you can get good deals on their refurb site) but are massively powerful and can grind most any food down to liquid, and cleanup is a breeze. Highly recommended.
Old 01-16-16, 06:02 PM
richkarr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 23 miles on the Kickr this morning while watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix. The show was quite motivating such that I got another fresh veggie juice at the cafe in town, and then went pricing juicers at Fry's and Costco. Wouldn't you know, they were demo'ing the Vitamix at Costco and of course the samples were good. Once I started loading the cart with all the veggies, it became clear I'm not yet ready for that large of a commitment and went home empty handed. I'll need to sleep more on this decision.
Old 01-17-16, 12:27 AM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 23 miles on the Kickr this morning while watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix. The show was quite motivating such that I got another fresh veggie juice at the cafe in town, and then went pricing juicers at Fry's and Costco. Wouldn't you know, they were demo'ing the Vitamix at Costco and of course the samples were good. Once I started loading the cart with all the veggies, it became clear I'm not yet ready for that large of a commitment and went home empty handed. I'll need to sleep more on this decision.
I got the vitamix at Costco and used it a handful of times at most in the year I've owned it. Cleaning it is super easy. I had originally got a juicer and it was a huge waste of money and to be frank vegetables.
Old 01-17-16, 09:29 AM
jimbo_h

Bikes: Trek Portland, Marin Indian Fire Trail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my Sunday update. I am down 4.2 pounds since last Sunday. This low could just be a variation and I might weigh higher or level out in the next couple days, but overall I am headed in the right direction. It has been a while since I have been the 270 range.

12/24/2015 294.00 Start
01/03/2016 283.70
01/10/2016 281.40
01/17/2016 277.20 Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.