Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute on your tourer? Tour on your commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commute on your tourer? Tour on your commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 07:26 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have a Surly LHT that I bought for commuting and put about 10,000 miles on it before I used it for touring. I liked it well enough, but fell in love with it when it was full loaded. It really is a different bike loaded down.

It it has fenders and a front rack mounted full time, along with a dyno hub. I love in Portland, so there's really no reason to take the fenders off in the summer. I also have a spare set of wheels with studded tires for when the temps drop below freezing.

My "tours" have been overnight camping with the kids, but we are working up our way to longer tours.
Old 01-29-16, 07:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I hate to be THAT GUY who boo-hoos your whole premise, but why do we keep insisting that we need different bikes for different types of riding? I drive the same car to work that I drive to the next city to see my grandchildren, and the same car I would drive if I were to take a 12 hour drive to Niagara Falls.

Too many rules scare people away from cycling at all. Just get a bike and ride it. No offense intended.
You're looking at it the wrong way. Many cyclists are looking for excuses to buy more bikes, the whole n+1 syndrome. Get with the program!

Here are my commuter-tourers with their very specific purposes (so I tell my wife):

- Bob Jackson World Tour, primary commuter and occasional tourer with dynamo light system and rear rack.
- Soma Saga, loaded touring, trail rides, greenways and occasional commuting.
- Waterford RST-22, sport tourer used for commuting, supported tours, recreational rides.
- Ritchey Breakaway Cross, cyclocross, greenways, trails and occasional commuting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BJ-tour build.jpg (90.5 KB, 29 views)
Waterford commute 2.jpg (96.5 KB, 31 views)
ritchey cross - side.jpg (66.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-29-16, 08:14 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
TarWheel,
Sweet bikes, all ! Must be hard to choose which one to throw your leg over every morning. Your Bob Jackson and your Ritchey are my personal favs.
Also,
Is the cockpit longer in your Waterford than the Soma and Ritchey or is it more camera angle ?

Originally Posted by tarwheel
You're looking at it the wrong way. Many cyclists are looking for excuses to buy more bikes, the whole n+1 syndrome. Get with the program!

Here are my commuter-tourers with their very specific purposes (so I tell my wife):

- Bob Jackson World Tour, primary commuter and occasional tourer with dynamo light system and rear rack.
- Soma Saga, loaded touring, trail rides, greenways and occasional commuting.
- Waterford RST-22, sport tourer used for commuting, supported tours, recreational rides.
- Ritchey Breakaway Cross, cyclocross, greenways, trails and occasional commuting

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 01-29-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 08:37 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
All of the my bikes are essentially the same size, with top tubes about 57 cm long. The Soma has a slightly shorter top tube (56.5) but a steeper seat-tube angle that makes up for it.

BTW, I could get by with any of these bikes if I had to keep only one. They are all road, commuting, touring and trail capable. They all have room for larger tires and fenders, and mounts for fenders and racks. The Waterford is my favorite because it rides so nicely and fits me perfect. The Soma is the workhorse for loaded touring.
Old 01-29-16, 04:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I get it. I also play the ukulele and we all suffer from something we call UAS, which stands for Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. Essentially, instead of actually PLAYING our instruments, we all spend a lot of time looking for new ukes to purchase and reasons to purchase them. It's a very unproductive habit with ukes and a very unproductive habit for cyclists, too.

Of course, this is all tongue in cheek, as I don't give a hoot how many bikes anybody owns -- as long as they only attempt to ride one at a time.
Old 01-29-16, 06:15 PM
AlTheKiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That's the plan with my current commuter MTB. I had a drop bar conversion in mind for the past year, but ended up sticking with city bars and trigger shifters to keep cost down for commuting duty.

Originally Posted by InTheRain
I bought the touring bike specifically for commuting. I have not toured on it yet (it's been 8 years.) It has handled it's commuting duties admirably. Converted it to an e-bike in March of this year. That may put an end to any dreams I have of touring on the bike. I think I've also changed my mind about the type of touring that I would like to do. I'm thinking I would enjoy bikepacking more than road touring. Thus, I need another bike, right? I'm looking at a Surly ECR.
A guy came into our shop commuting by e-bike. He was pulling an old child trailer that had been converted to hold a bunch of solar panels... Not sure how far he got as it was pretty hodge podge, but it seems like it could make sense to do a couple hour noontime nap to make best use of the sun and keep your trailer stationary, and keep going otherwise... who knows.

And anyways, on to the main topic at hand, this is by far my favorite blog post ever. And it's from Surly:
Some answers to just about any bike forum post I?ve ever read | Blog | Surly Bikes

If you think your bike looks good, it does.
If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.
You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.
Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.
Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.
Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.
Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.
No paint job makes everyone happy.
Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.
Steel is a great material for making bike frames - so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.
You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.
Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.
Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.
Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the USA can be super cool.
Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.
Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.
Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.
The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.
The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.
No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.
Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.
Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.
Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.
Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.
Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.
It sucks to be harassed by ******** in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind ******** on bikes.
Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.
Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.
Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.
Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.
Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.
Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.
If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.
That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.
Touch up paint always looks like ****. Often it looks worse than the scratch.
A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.
A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.
Bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target, Costco, or K-mart are generally not the best bang for your buck.
Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.
Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.
32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.
Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.
Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.
Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.
The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.
Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.
Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.
Stopping can be as much fun as riding.
Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever trail or road or alley you’re riding on. You should thank them.
Old 01-29-16, 08:30 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Love it. My favorite is "No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride." I'd love to make that my new signature. Would I get sued?
Old 01-31-16, 08:56 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Sure, why let words get in the way of riding your bike?

Many of my regular riding friends use "touring" bikes for everything. Although I'm sure the bike companies would be happier if they bought a separate bike for every conceivable use.
Every once in awhile I come across such matter-of-fact sayings and really enjoy reading them a couple of times, letting the words sink in. Yours are the words for me today! Thanks for such insight into simplicity and a reminder of what it takes for enjoyment.
Old 01-31-16, 10:37 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo

Damn I like that bike rack, wish we had something like that around here!
Old 01-31-16, 12:31 PM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just ask David Byrne to visit your city; he put these up all over back in 2008!

Top row, left to right: MoMA, Olde Times Square and Villager. Middle row, left to right: Coffee Cup, Wall Street and Ladies’ Mile. Bottom row, left to right: Hipster, Chelsea and Jersey. (Photos: New York City Department of Transportation)
Attached Images
byrneblogspan.jpg (99.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-31-16, 04:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Every once in awhile I come across such matter-of-fact sayings and really enjoy reading them a couple of times, letting the words sink in. Yours are the words for me today! Thanks for such insight into simplicity and a reminder of what it takes for enjoyment.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-01-16, 08:12 AM
Marc40a

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly ECR, Serotta CSI

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I find bikes with longer chainstays more comfortable over bad roads. I also like having a bit fatter tyres (28, 32, or even 42 mm if loaded) and room for mudguards, rear rack. So a touring bike is better for commuting.

..unless you often need to carry the bike upstairs - then it's better when it's lighter and smaller.

Totally agree.

You can't beat the utility of a touring bike.
Old 02-01-16, 08:42 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I hate to be THAT GUY who boo-hoos your whole premise, but why do we keep insisting that we need different bikes for different types of riding? I drive the same car to work that I drive to the next city to see my grandchildren, and the same car I would drive if I were to take a 12 hour drive to Niagara Falls.

Too many rules scare people away from cycling at all. Just get a bike and ride it. No offense intended.
This^^^ specialization can be over done and often is. A good touring bike makes an excellent commuter for a commuter who carries stuff and prefers not to carry in a backpack.
Old 02-01-16, 09:06 AM
katzenfinch 

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
You bet! Any bike you can tour on will make a great all-rounder.
Old 02-01-16, 09:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11060 Post(s)
Liked 7,615 Times in 4,247 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I have a Surly LHT that I bought for commuting and put about 10,000 miles on it before I used it for touring. I liked it well enough, but fell in love with it when it was full loaded. It really is a different bike loaded down.

It it has fenders and a front rack mounted full time, along with a dyno hub. I love in Portland, so there's really no reason to take the fenders off in the summer. I also have a spare set of wheels with studded tires for when the temps drop below freezing.

My "tours" have been overnight camping with the kids, but we are working up our way to longer tours.

These tours, for me, are more tiring than the big boy adult type. I also love doing them more than the big boy adult type.
Old 02-01-16, 09:21 AM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a great thread!!!

I'm building up a "touring" bike, but in reality it gets (and will likely continue to get) far more use in it's current commuting role.