Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Goodbye, dear stolen bicycle/s

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 12:35 AM
robin-d

Bikes: cargo-midtail ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this thread is closure for my last two stolen steeds. i wish we had gone on more adventures.

edit: i also wish i had locked them after that last sunset ride with the significant other... /sigh.

not sure if this is allowed. but others are welcome to commiserate/post their poached ponies and reminisce of the best and blurst of times with their beloved bicycles..

Last edited by robin-d; 02-03-16 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-03-16, 12:44 AM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes me sad.

Also, paranoid.
Old 02-03-16, 05:01 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts
My magenta and mint green 1989 stumpjumper, customized for commuting, gone but not forgotten. Some crackhead in Albuquerque scored a sweet ride...
Old 02-03-16, 05:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by robin-d
this thread is closure for my last two stolen steeds. i wish we had gone on more adventures.

edit: i also wish i had locked them after that last sunset ride with the significant other... /sigh.

not sure if this is allowed. but others are welcome to commiserate/post their poached ponies and reminisce of the best and blurst of times with their beloved bicycles..
A bunny! What's his/her name? Sorry about the bikes. Some people aren't as nice as bunnies.
Old 02-03-16, 06:49 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
The SO put up this bike for a friend to commute to work. It had been living in our backyard for years. Sadly it didn't last a month with him before it got stolen Fortunately we (SO and I) have never had our bikes stolen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5605.jpg (101.8 KB, 233 views)
Old 02-03-16, 07:13 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 2,695 Times in 973 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Scan your local Craigslist. They might show up in a month or two.
Old 02-03-16, 10:53 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
When I wrenched in Santa Barbara one of our guys' Ritchey road bike got stolen.

A few days later a couple of us we were riding through town and saw a kid riding it, so we chased him down and grabbed the bike.

Can't tell you how happy our buddy was to get his bike back, but I'm sure you can imagine...
Old 02-03-16, 10:54 AM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
A bunny! What's his/her name? Sorry about the bikes. Some people aren't as nice as bunnies.
I once had a bunny (also in Santa Barbara).

He would thump the floor whenever I let the air out of a tire; not sure what he thought that sound was...
Old 02-03-16, 11:33 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4374 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,645 Posts
Cool story - many years ago I bought a used mountain bike - the first MTB I ever had, it was a Marin something or other. After only a couple weeks I left it on my car's roof rack over night and it got stolen. Insurance company bought me a BRAND NEW mountain bike for the cost of my deductible. A few weeks later I get a call from the cops and they had stopped a guy for something and ran the serial number on his bike and it came up stolen and it was MINE. Cops gave me back the bike, I called the insurance company and they wanted it because they owned it now... but I had a friend at work who wanted to buy it so he got it really cheap - just made them an offer over the phone (same call). Friend turned it into a commuter with all kinds of accessories and after a couple weeks, somebody stole it FROM HIM! Actually cut his lock off from the parking rack at our office building. He called his insurance company and they bought HIM a brand new mountain bike for the cost of his deductible. So that one used MTB wound up gifting two of us new MTBs that were both a lot nicer.

More recently, this commute bike was stolen from my house while I was unable to ride because of an injury - I suspect my dirtbag neighbor's dirtbag son and his friends. I really miss this bike - watched CraigsList for months without a hit.

Old 02-03-16, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18559 Post(s)
Liked 15,974 Times in 7,505 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
I once had a bunny (also in Santa Barbara).

He would thump the floor whenever I let the air out of a tire; not sure what he thought that sound was...
It's a danger warning response. My speculation is that their brains are hard wired at birth to react to the hiss of a snake. The air being let out of the tires may be triggering that instinct. Mt cat is very afraid of the sound.
Old 02-03-16, 12:47 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's a danger warning response. My speculation is that their brains are hard wired at birth to react to the hiss of a snake. The air being let out of the tires may be triggering that instinct. Mt cat is very afraid of the sound.
That's exactly what I thought as well...
Old 02-03-16, 01:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18559 Post(s)
Liked 15,974 Times in 7,505 Posts
That's exactly what I thought as well...
I never realized how some rabbits can make nice house pets until I started dating a girl who had one. He would just hop around the apartment and was perfectly litter trained. In the mornings, when he was most active and energetic, he would often pull off massive running jumps with twists, like a snowboarder in the X Games. Very fun to watch. If I ever had one as a pet I would want a Flemish Giant.
Old 02-03-16, 01:54 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I am saddened for your loss. Fortunately, I have to go way back to my childhood to remember a similar experience. Had a red bike with a bannana seat and high handlebars stolen from under a staircase in an apartment building. My fault for not locking it up as well.

Last edited by ptempel; 02-03-16 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 06:18 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2014 I gad two bikes stolen about 3 months apart, a purple fade to blue trek 830 and a grey trek 7100. The 830 I left out unchained on my back porch over night and the 7100 was outside unchained all of maybe 45 minutes, again on my back porch. That's how I ended up with my $60 used huffy.

Last edited by mr geeker; 02-03-16 at 07:04 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-03-16, 06:24 PM
Lanovran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Except that snakes don't audibly hiss when they're looking to find a meal (it would make it awfully hard to ambush prey, wouldn't it?). I doubt it has anything to do with any specific animal noise, but rather just an unknown scary sound that could potentially mean danger to lil' Mr. Fluffy.

Last edited by Lanovran; 02-03-16 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-03-16, 06:39 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The only bike I've ever had stolen (knock on wood) was my first decent bike-shop bike, and an Xmas gift from my parents, to boot. It was a black-and-yellow 2005 Trek 820 - as cheap and entry-level as Trek gets, but it was the nicest bike I'd ever had at the time - and it was my primary transportation. I headed out early one morning to find that it had been stolen from the bike rack just outside of my dorm at college. I learned an important lesson about cheap cable locks that day (i.e., they suck). It wasn't expensive or amazing in any way, but it was good to me for a year-and-a-half of getting around campus. I got a deal on a Trek 4300 to replace it, but it never rode quite as well as that 820 did.

Here it is after it had snowed the night before...
Old 02-03-16, 08:42 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

I too have been fortunate to not have ever had a bike stolen from me. Came close when I was a little kid though. I parked my stingray in front of the candy store where two "big" kids were sitting. They were still there when I came out a few minutes later, but my bike was gone. Something made me look behind the small store, and there my bike was! I jumped on and got the heck outta there as quickly as I could! Learned myself a lesson that day.
Old 02-04-16, 12:52 AM
robin-d

Bikes: cargo-midtail ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
His name is Machiatto.. he's 11 this year I think. Was a stray my SO found in her apartment parking lot sometime after Easter many years ago.
Old 02-04-16, 08:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by robin-d
His name is Machiatto.. he's 11 this year I think. Was a stray my SO found in her apartment parking lot sometime after Easter many years ago.
That is so sweet of her to take him in and give him a nice home. Over the years, my wife and I have adopted 2 older buns, and rescued one baby that someone released. The plan was to find him a good home, but we missed that window... after two weeks or so it became apparent he wasn't going anywhere!
Old 02-04-16, 09:14 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Never had a bike stolen so far *knock on fake wood* but when I was a kid I left my bike on its kickstand out in the front yard at my grandparents' house one day. My grandmother hid it, to try to teach me a lesson that it COULD get stolen if I leave it out like that. I think I got the picture.

My dad had his bike stolen from the front yard (at that same house, I think) when he was a kid in the 1950's/60's.
Old 02-04-16, 10:15 AM
BarryWC

Bikes: Trek 8.3DS hybrid, Specialized Roubaix road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike was a three speed "English racer", as it was called in the '50s in central Texas, that my Dad had ordered and had shipped over by our British relatives. I loved that bike, a Raleigh as I remember, and was the only one like it the small town I grew up in. Fast forward five years, and we moved to the Texas coast. Most of our belongings were stored while we looked for a house. You can guess what happened then. The warehouse was broken into, and the bike was stolen, along with my Lionel Electric Train set. Wish I had that bike today...
Old 02-04-16, 12:10 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I haven't had any stolen, but I did have a couple of "big kids" give me grief about locking my bike up before I went into a store one day. The bike was still there when I got back. I abandoned my old 10 speed that I had from junior high until after college somewhere. I think it was the train station and it took a while for someone to take it.
Old 02-04-16, 03:47 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryWC
along with my Lionel Electric Train set. Wish I had that bike today...
Oh dang I have one of those, too, that my dad got for Christmas in about 1956 or so.
Old 02-04-16, 04:48 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by BarryWC
My first bike was a three speed "English racer", as it was called in the '50s in central Texas, that my Dad had ordered and had shipped over by our British relatives. I loved that bike, a Raleigh as I remember, and was the only one like it the small town I grew up in. Fast forward five years, and we moved to the Texas coast. Most of our belongings were stored while we looked for a house. You can guess what happened then. The warehouse was broken into, and the bike was stolen, along with my Lionel Electric Train set. Wish I had that bike today...
We called them English Racers in Florida, too; perhaps it's a southern thing...
Old 02-04-16, 04:54 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
We called them English Racers in Florida, too; perhaps it's a southern thing...
I grew up in Illinois in the 60's and that's what I remember them being called too. My grandfather was English (and a bicyclist) and I wasn't sure at first if people were referring to his bicycle or my grandfather's bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.