Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 02:02 AM
Prayercall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Just make sure you eat fewer calories than you burn. I use a tracking site called MyFitnessPal, but there are others out there as well. And I log everything. It does take a little bit of work, but it gets results.

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...-websites.html

And if you'd like, read through my posts in this thread (Weight Loss Club) from the top of the page, starting with Post 2463. That's the process I've been through.

ok thank you I will
Old 09-05-15, 06:05 PM
Prayercall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just make sure you eat fewer calories than you burn. I use a tracking site called MyFitnessPal, but there are others out there as well. And I log everything. It does take a little bit of work, but it gets results.

https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...-websites.html

And if you'd like, read through my posts in this thread (Weight Loss Club) from the top of the page, starting with Post 2463. That's the process I've been through.
we lost about 20kg so far goal to get down to 86 kg
Old 09-06-15, 06:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Prayercall
we lost about 20kg so far goal to get down to 86 kg
Old 09-16-15, 11:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

This is an interesting site:

12 July 2012 - Where are you on the global fat scale?
BBC News - Where are you on the global fat scale?

Of me, it says ...
You have a lower BMI than 89% of females aged 45-59 in your country.

You have a lower BMI than 70% of females aged 45-59 in the world.

You're most like someone from Vietnam.
Old 09-17-15, 09:06 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts
This is an interesting site:

12 July 2012 - Where are you on the global fat scale?
BBC News - Where are you on the global fat scale?

Of me, it says ...
You have a lower BMI than 89% of females aged 45-59 in your country.

You have a lower BMI than 70% of females aged 45-59 in the world.

You're most like someone from Vietnam.
Nice. Of me:

You have a lower BMI than 89% of males aged 70-79 in your country

You have a lower BMI than 62% of males aged 70-79 in the world

You're most like someone from Morocco

I'm still fat for a cyclist.
Old 09-21-15, 06:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

January 2015: Before I started with MyFitnessPal ...

September 2015: Getting close to "after" ... I'm not quite at my goal yet.

Old 09-21-15, 07:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 1,406 Posts
^This is like . . . svelte! Is fitness modeling next?
Old 09-21-15, 05:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
^This is like . . . svelte! Is fitness modeling next?
Thanks.

I think I'd have do to a lot of work on my little toothpick arms before I could come anywhere close to fitness modelling.
Old 09-25-15, 08:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Since mid-Feb, i have lost 22 kg.
Old 10-14-15, 04:20 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just passed the 13 month mark since I decided I needed to change my life. Having twins at 50 will do that!

13 months ago I'm not sure I could make it up a flight of stairs. Now I'm down 110 pounds and this last weekend I completed my 12th race. So I put this together:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (97.3 KB, 217 views)
Old 10-19-15, 08:08 PM
PaulineMi

Bikes: Giant Suede DX with Bionx Battery Assist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats Machka and scrming! Great job both of you. You are an inspiration.
Old 10-24-15, 08:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by PaulineMi
Congrats Machka and scrming! Great job both of you. You are an inspiration.
Thanks!!

I feel like I'm back to normal again.
Old 10-24-15, 08:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

-24 kg.
Old 10-24-15, 11:08 PM
hefledthescene
Clydesdale Bomber

Bikes: 2016 GT Grade Alloy 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SCRMING- you are the f-ing man! UNBELIEVABLE transformation, and in 13 months! that's super impressive. Great job.

Last edited by hefledthescene; 10-30-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 07:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

-24 kg.
I'm down 25 kg (55 lbs) ... so about 3 kg lighter than I was in the photos of me in the red jersey, at the beach, above.
Old 12-21-15, 06:58 AM
hancadatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can help anyone
if you have anything please ask me
i will share everyhting about lose weight
and belly fat
thanks
Old 12-23-15, 11:44 AM
jessestylex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did good for a while but got into Kayak Fishing and stopped riding at much. I need to get back on the bike. Maybe try to split to two during the spring and summer.
Old 12-23-15, 04:47 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm down 25 kg (55 lbs) ... so about 3 kg lighter than I was in the photos of me in the red jersey, at the beach, above.

2015 has been a surprisingly good year for me.

It didn't start particularly well with two separate cancer concerns, and thus two surgeries, in January ... but then things started looking up. First, one cancer concern was cleared completely, the other still requires regular follow-up for years to come, but at the moment I don't have cancer. And the surgery for that second one fixed another issue I was having ... the issue that got me in to see my Dr in the first place, and an issue that was really putting a damper on exercising. So with that fixed, I felt much freer to exercise as much as I like!

Then I joined My Fitness Pal in February ... and the results have been amazing. I can hardly believe it.

I'm down 26 kg (57 lbs). Over Christmas, I'll probably put on a couple kg because I'm on a diet break, and that's OK because I know I can lose it again come January.

Getting up hills is so much easier without the extra 26 kg (57 lbs).

Rowan and I ran a cycling event a few weekends ago, and I was helping haul 15 litre jugs of water around. I could manage to lift and carry one 15 litre jug, and I could lift two 15 litre jugs, but I couldn't walk with them. And yet, a year ago, I was carrying close to that amount of weight around with me every day. No wonder exercise is so much easier now!

And another benefit ... I'm back into my slender clothes again. It's really nice to be able to wear stuff I haven't seen in a few years.

Now that I've lost the weight, my goals for 2016 will surround becoming fit and more muscular. We'll see how that goes!
Old 02-18-16, 02:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I "celebrated" my one-year anniversary of starting with MyFitnessPal and starting to lose weight yesterday.

I've been more or less maintaining for a little while now, but am easing back into the diet to see if I can drop just a tiny bit more weight.

Also, since my last post, above, I've accomplished one of the things on my 2016 list. We rode a 200 km randonnee. That's my first 200 km randonnee since about 2012! I enjoyed it and had time to spare.

This photo was taken a couple weeks ago ...
Old 02-23-16, 09:17 AM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's raining and too cold to ride today what should I do at the gym at lunch? they have all kinds of cardio stuff I've never used.

I think a stationary bike is about the last thing from my mind, just seems all kinds of wrong to me a person who enjoys riding. (and I realize it would seem very right to some of you all because you enjoy riding)

I don't have my swim-shorts today but sometime I'd like to try swimming laps at the gym pool, is that something easy to get into for someone with some decent cardio-endurance on a bike? How do I kinda pace myself? Anytime I've swam before it's been with my kids and I've never tried to go moderately, always ended up out of breath.
Old 03-10-16, 12:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

About my birthday last year ...

About my birthday this year ...
Old 04-04-16, 08:00 AM
KJL

Bikes: Borealis Flume - Diamondback Hanjo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just chiming in as I am looking fro any good tips to get some weight off. I guess what I always heard was true... When you get older it's harder to lose weight. I have always ignored my age and just rode and ate like I was a young turk - but this winter I somehow put on much more weight than before and my Doctor noticed too - plus I now have borderline bad blood sugar levels! That is my wake up call. In the past if I noticed my jeans a little snug I just rode more. But now it's going to be a little more complex. I am 225/230 lb, 5' 11" - I consider myself somewhat fit - meaning I can do a Century ride or endurance MTB ride and not die - I guess I carry my body mass well because when I tell friends my weight they are shocked. But I am disgusted with myself right now. The sugar scare is what is most on my mind. I think diet/nutrition is going to be more key than my riding on this one. Hello oatmeal here I come! My goal is 195 by late May - going to Moab, Utah!
Old 04-11-16, 08:04 AM
NeilMyers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KJL ...

I was there 5 years ago. I was 6-2, 245 lbs, no muscle tone at all and for me it was high blood pressure that had just shown up. Today I am 195. probably 25 lbs more muscle and my blood pressure is 115/72. That's a drop of 75 lbs of fat and an addition of 25 lbs of muscle.

The best way to fix this (in my opinion) is to do a food diary for a week or so. Just keep a spreadsheet with everything that goes down the hatch. Include all meals, snacks and drinks. Log calories and grams of fat, protein and carbohydrates.

You only need to do a week. It is a little tedious, but not really that big a deal. What you are looking for is one or two changes you can make that will bring the largest reduction in calories. Also, try to balance things so you get more or less the same number of calories from fat, protein and carbs. It won't exactly work out that way ... you'll probably have more carbs than protein, for example, but it serves as a guide for where you need to focus. You want to keep the changes small (i.e., just one or two things) so you localize the "pain".

Remember -- your need all three (fat, protein and carbs)! DO NOT BELIEVE IT WHEN PEOPLE TELL YOU TO CUT OUT ONE OF THESE. The body needs it all. Of course, carbs from veggies are better than carbs from donuts, but you already knew that.

For me it was cutting out alcohol and chocolate milk. Those two changes saved me 1,500 calories a day! I dropped 25 lbs in 3 months ... those were the easiest pounds to drop. The rest came off gradually. As time passed I found it easy to make a few more tweaks. I cut back to one slice of toast instead of two with breakfast. I learned to love carrots with guacamole instead of chips and guacamole. But I still have juicy steaks, tasty fajitas, and so on. The changes were not drastic, so it was easy to adopt them. Today my blood work is also perfect. I don't know if I will live any longer (probably not), but I will enjoy my years WAY more. I feel great!

The issue is that exercise only helps if you are within 500 calories of your BMR (basic metabolic rate). This is the number of calories you burn each day just by being alive. For example, if your BMR is 2,400, and you eat 4,000 calories, and you do a hard ride and burn 1,200 calories, you still have an excess of 400 calories. One week of that is enough to gain a pound! BUT ... if you make a few changes and you cut your intake to 2,500 calories/day and then ride an average of 500 calories a day, now you have a DEFICIT of 400 calories. That's enough to loose a pound a week.

Small changes (the biggest bang-for-buck ones) over a long period of time will fix anything. Good luck!
Old 05-15-16, 09:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

A bit of an anniversary ...

I've maintained my first goal weight for a year now, and have, in fact, gone on to lose an additional 13 kg since then.

I've also been maintaining my second goal weight for 11 months ... and my third goal weight for 6 months.
Old 06-28-16, 09:32 PM
hoosiercheetah

Bikes: 77 Schwinn Varsity - Red :-)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 40 this year, and got my very first high-triglyceride lab at my annual checkup. I'm 6'0" and 245lbs at that appointment. Time for changes.
So I've eliminated junk food and fast food, and stopped going back for seconds of anything except veggies. I've done the diet thing enough times that I know what to eat and what not to eat; I've just never stuck with it before.
I'm getting into cycling because I used to be a distance runner, but my feet are totally crashed - no arch left and I've just finally won a 5-year battle with plantar fasciitis. I've always missed the endurance exercise. There's something about settling into a comfortable pace and just moving and breathing. So, I'm finding that on the bike, and it's really, really good.
It's been about 6 weeks and I'm down to 220lbs. My target is 180, and I want to reach the point where I can comfortably ride 70 miles in a day now and then. I'd like to do some cycle touring in the future. I'm already planning some bike camping trips near my home, and I'm really excited about training up to them.
That's my story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.